1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Tech Talk

Got Computer Issues? This is your place to ask!

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Bonhomme Richard

Build your own computer guide

I agree, though I'll bet they have one waiting in the wings when this ACTUALLY drops.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. DarkAudit
    Like x 5

Tech minor victory thread

Upgrading to v5.34 replaces the tainted version, but it will not undo any mischief that might already have been done. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. DarkAudit

The Tech Random Crap Thread

I am SO jealous. Seriously jealous.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. fade

[Brazelton] Solaris and SPARC

I'm still not happy what they did to ZFS. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. DarkAudit

[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

That's just it - I thought I HAD BACKED it all up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. SpecialKO

Consensus on Windows antivirus/security suites?

I suggested both (I have a chromebook as a secondary, just-bumming-around-the-house laptop), but my parents don't really like either the concept of the cloud or not being able to install programs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. DarkAudit

[Brazelton] Juicero

I read about it a month or two ago when it blew up in the tech news as a solution looking for a problem. I remember the first few times I heard about it I honestly thought it was satire. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. LordRendar

Crypto Mining

These days, people seem more willing to gang together a bunch of the #2 cards (470, gtx 970, 1070) because their performance is only a little less, but their power consumption is a lot less....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Dave

[Question] Voicemail download

AT&T's Visual Voicemail app allows you to save voicemail as a file. So it's definitely possible on Android, at least with certain carriers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Squidleybits

[Question] Which MacBooks can be upgraded?

Did you ever explain why the MacBook Pro was the only one to consider?The new pad is still in it's wrapper lol because my MacBook hasn't gone any further than one couch to the other :) On car...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. GasBandit

Public DNS providers?

That was how I found the problem. IPVanish uses their own DNS, and even though the overall connection speed was cut significantly, downloads were orders of magnitude faster than when the default...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. figmentPez

Laptop for college & video editing

I bought two separate macs straight from the Apple store with a faculty ID. It said "FACULTY" in huge letters on it, so the clerk would've had to have been blind. They gave me the same discount I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DarkAudit
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. GasBandit
    Like x 5

The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

I'm on Verizon, and have noticed over the past week that data stream to YouTube will sometimes just stop. It'll load fine, and then halfway through a video it just won't load anymore.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Bones

displayport cables

There are several different versions of DisplayPort, much like there are different revisions of USB 1, USB 2, etc. just make sure everything in the chain supports whatever revision you need....
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. stienman

Beware cryptolocker

Well, you SAY that, buuuuuuut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sparhawk

[Question] New Mouse

G400 and G400s are good mouses all-around. You can get them new for $70, or get a bunch of them used for $15-25 (what I did).
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. fade
    Informative x 3

Wacom Graphire 4 and Windows 10

Also, if you, like me just discovered the ahem "joy" (irritation, stupidity, annoyance, etc.) that is windows ink and "flicks", please see this, uh, colorful guide for disabling the crap out of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. figmentPez

Getting 5.1 audio out of my new PC

It's more movies I like to have in surround than gaming.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. GasBandit
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Chad Sexington
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Chad Sexington

[Question] I am a 28 year old adult who does not understand lightbulbs

Does he have an EZ-Bake Oven he's planning on handing down? --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. fade
    Like x 3

Enabling PVR features on TV: The Saga Begins

I'm sure you can probably whip up an actively cooled enclosure of some sort for it, with parts you have hanging around the house. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Eriol
    Informative x 3

Keylogger on HP Laptops found in Audio Driver

Follow-up: HP issues fix for 'keylogger' found on several laptop models Apparently the 2016-and-forward models are fixed, with a Windows Update all you need to remove the code and the log file....
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. GasBandit
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. DarkAudit

[Question] Laptop battery recalibration?

Glad to hear it!It's much worse (ie, more expensive to find and fix) when a new battery doesn't fix the problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. LittleKagsin

Printing Labels...

The smaller label that says "label maker label" is still optional, but I've heard they plan to introduce an amendment making it obligated for multi-size label makers in 2019.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Gared

[Question] Universal Remote

Yeah, that was my first step last year when my first crappy remote died. It looks like this one is going to hold on for a while longer though, and could actually really work well if I just find...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. LordRendar

Mobo/GPU Problems

Just you wait. ;) gonna get another 480 to do crossfire.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Eriol

Red Flag Windows for China

Assuming equal level of monitoring, I'd rather be spied on by China, personally. Their enforcement apparatus is quite a ways away, compared to the U.S.'
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. GasBandit

GeForce Now: Rent-a-virtualized badass gaming PC

It's always fascinating to me just how many takes visual media takes to get "perfect" or nearly so. And then it reinforces whenever I see live performances (theatre especially) just how many...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Bubble181

[Question] Yet Another Excel Question

Oh man, I took a class on Filemaker Pro "programming" in my CS undergrad. What a pain in the ass.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Grytpipe-Thynne

[Question] USB HDD.

Generally a small quantity of online storage on hard drives at a data center operated by them, much like having your own locker at the club or something. I'm sure they would be willing to expand...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Anonymous

[Question] Web hosting for (NSFW) content.

I hadn't even considered Patreon. Otherwise, it looks like Cloudflare is the one to use (they're hosting gwern and several other sites of that ilk).
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. GasBandit

RANT: Extensions driving me nuts

Only the stuff that is absolutely 100% mission critical. The salespeople all have late model budget Dells with windows 7/8/10
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Bones

looking for advice on a new monitor

I'm pretty sure you could flip a coin and be happy with whatever outcome. The monitor that fits your needs is available now, and it'll only drop in price a little. You don't need to wait for a...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options