1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Tech Talk

Got Computer Issues? This is your place to ask!

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Bonhomme Richard

Build your own computer guide

Yes, and it has finally happened. Intel's new i7-8700k is the best consumer chip Intel has ever made, and (barring any critical chip errata that might be discovered) I can say that they have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. DarkAudit

The Tech Random Crap Thread

An interesting story about how a guy doing business through Amazon was run out of business by a malicious competitor abusing amazon's security flaws (and its inertia/apathy). Just remember,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GasBandit

Public DNS providers?

They are, sorta. They're an "anycast" provider, which means it will always try to respond from the server closest to your physical location. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. DarkAudit

[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Yep. Doesn't load anything any faster. Doesn't support a bunch of people's favorite add-ons. Still full of memory leaks. Still a crummy, bloated mess of a browser. I swear it's almost less useful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. GasBandit

Shopping for a new Android phone

From what I've heard the Essential phone got patches that fixed it's camera issues. Now making it a cheaper flagship level android phone that no one is buying because of a bad start. Of course I'm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ThatNickGuy

Merging Google Accounts?

There's apparently a way to copy data from one account to another and then delete the other. But I'm a little confused about the process.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. GasBandit
    Like x 5

The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

Pai's pals are of course painting it as yet another Democrat attack on conservatives. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. figmentPez

Are apps getting more bloated?

I don't have that option on my version of Lollipop :-(
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. DarkAudit
    Like x 5

Tech minor victory thread

What a coincidence. So's mine. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jay

New Mouse

The Logitech M330 is supposed to be pretty good at that, and it's only $15 on Amazon. Maybe check some video/sound reviews?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Zappit

Raging Over iTunes Right Now - Help!

That's what I was saying implying! and make a duplicate of everything you ripped - and keep that archive away from anywhere iTunes can find it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Officer_Charon

[Question] Got a new box (finally) - Wat do?

Not sure this is a thing, at least no more often than platter drives. Would like to know where that theory comes from. *** Would also like to point out that things like this exist...if you're...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. drifter

[Question] Electrical wiring

Thanks @stienman, that looks great. I was actually going to ask if you guys had any ideas for better alternatives, but got sidetracked. @GasBandit I considered a power strip, but didn't want...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. figmentPez

[News] Oh shit! The Fuzz are on Hoverbikes!

25 minutes That's how long you can run this thing. That's why you won't be patrolling on it. Also, those market stands it's flying over? Packed with people. Those crowds are going to make it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. GasBandit
    Informative x 6

Turn bluetooth off on your android device until you get a system update

There are policies, procedures, and automated systems to detect such an attack, alert the appropriate system administrators, and today there are automated systems that figure out ways to limit the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. fade

[Brazelton] Solaris and SPARC

I'm still not happy what they did to ZFS. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. SpecialKO

Consensus on Windows antivirus/security suites?

I suggested both (I have a chromebook as a secondary, just-bumming-around-the-house laptop), but my parents don't really like either the concept of the cloud or not being able to install programs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. DarkAudit

[Brazelton] Juicero

I read about it a month or two ago when it blew up in the tech news as a solution looking for a problem. I remember the first few times I heard about it I honestly thought it was satire. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. LordRendar

Crypto Mining

These days, people seem more willing to gang together a bunch of the #2 cards (470, gtx 970, 1070) because their performance is only a little less, but their power consumption is a lot less....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dave

[Question] Voicemail download

AT&T's Visual Voicemail app allows you to save voicemail as a file. So it's definitely possible on Android, at least with certain carriers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Squidleybits

[Question] Which MacBooks can be upgraded?

Did you ever explain why the MacBook Pro was the only one to consider?The new pad is still in it's wrapper lol because my MacBook hasn't gone any further than one couch to the other :) On car...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. figmentPez

Laptop for college & video editing

I bought two separate macs straight from the Apple store with a faculty ID. It said "FACULTY" in huge letters on it, so the clerk would've had to have been blind. They gave me the same discount I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. DarkAudit
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Bones

displayport cables

There are several different versions of DisplayPort, much like there are different revisions of USB 1, USB 2, etc. just make sure everything in the chain supports whatever revision you need....
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. stienman

Beware cryptolocker

Well, you SAY that, buuuuuuut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Sparhawk

[Question] New Mouse

G400 and G400s are good mouses all-around. You can get them new for $70, or get a bunch of them used for $15-25 (what I did).
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. fade
    Informative x 3

Wacom Graphire 4 and Windows 10

Also, if you, like me just discovered the ahem "joy" (irritation, stupidity, annoyance, etc.) that is windows ink and "flicks", please see this, uh, colorful guide for disabling the crap out of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. figmentPez

Getting 5.1 audio out of my new PC

It's more movies I like to have in surround than gaming.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. GasBandit
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Chad Sexington
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Chad Sexington

[Question] I am a 28 year old adult who does not understand lightbulbs

Does he have an EZ-Bake Oven he's planning on handing down? --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. fade
    Like x 3

Enabling PVR features on TV: The Saga Begins

I'm sure you can probably whip up an actively cooled enclosure of some sort for it, with parts you have hanging around the house. --Patrick
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Eriol
    Informative x 3

Keylogger on HP Laptops found in Audio Driver

Follow-up: HP issues fix for 'keylogger' found on several laptop models Apparently the 2016-and-forward models are fixed, with a Windows Update all you need to remove the code and the log file....
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. GasBandit
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. DarkAudit

[Question] Laptop battery recalibration?

Glad to hear it!It's much worse (ie, more expensive to find and fix) when a new battery doesn't fix the problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. LittleKagsin

Printing Labels...

The smaller label that says "label maker label" is still optional, but I've heard they plan to introduce an amendment making it obligated for multi-size label makers in 2019.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options