Build your own computer guide

any recommendations for a replacement?
For anyone else looking as part of a NEW build, my advice is the same as before. Don't bother getting anything older than GTX3xxx/RX6xxx and try to stick to the 7-level cards (3070/6700) with 12GB or higher VRAM. A possible exception could be 6-level "Ti" cards but only if you have to.

--Patrick

A little advice for anyone using a 13th gen Intel processor who might be experiencing unexpected shutdowns/restarts: You might want to manually adjust your processor's power states in the BIOS to give it a hard upper limit, because otherwise your motherboard might be telling it that it's okay to go ahead and pull over four THOUSAND watts.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
A little advice for anyone using a 13th gen Intel processor who might be experiencing unexpected shutdowns/restarts: You might want to manually adjust your processor's power states in the BIOS to give it a hard upper limit, because otherwise your motherboard might be telling it that it's okay to go ahead and pull over four THOUSAND watts.
--Patrick
4 kilowatts isn't a CAPITAL LETTERS level of ridiculousness, that's basically how much my car's induction cabin heater pulls.

Ok, maybe it's a little high for a PC power supply.

Assuming 85% PSU efficiency, you'd need a dedicated 50A circuit to power the thing (plus your GPU and such), and that's assuming you had no other devices plugged into the same circuit!
(most home circuits are either 15A or 20A)
...and it is an absolutely ENORMOUS amount to pull at only 3.3VDC, like...I can't even begin to describe what that would take. You would spot-weld any contacts permanently into the "on" position the moment you flipped the switch. Plus there's the EMP to worry about.

--Patrick

Last edited:
For anyone else looking as part of a NEW build, my advice is the same as before. Don't bother getting anything older than GTX3xxx/RX6xxx and try to stick to the 7-level cards (3070/6700) with 12GB or higher VRAM. A possible exception could be 6-level "Ti" cards but only if you have to.

--Patrick
Question as I'm contemplating a new build. why do you recommend against the 9 level builds? specifically, I'm looking Nvidia 4090.

Question as I'm contemplating a new build. why do you recommend against the 9 level builds? specifically, I'm looking Nvidia 4090.
To be fair, before the 30-series, NVIDIA xx90-level cards didn't really exist.
But mostly my recommendation is based on price/performance ratio, because traditionally the 7-level cards are the lowest level of "serious" GPU. And also because right now the 4070 and 4070 Super offer THE best performance per US dollar (MSRP of each is $530 and $590, respectively).

1709427592560.png

(Image and scores sourced from Passmark)

The 4090 is the highest-performing card on the market today, but with an MSRP of $1700 (and "real" prices easily going as high as $2300), it is also the most expensive.

--Patrick