NVidia 30-Series announced

Im not really sure the 3080 is really that much of an upgrade over my 2080ti at 1440p, now that I'm looking at the numbers.
At QHD/1440p, you are pushing 33% more pixels than 1080p. Since the 3080 is right around 30% faster than a 2080ti, that means the performance of a 3080 at 1440p should be pretty much equivalent to a 2080ti at 1080p.

—Patrick

If you're in the market for a new sub-$500 graphics card right now, honestly, just wait. Wait a month or two and find out how the RTX 3070 and RX 6000 cards compare to the other GPUs. More importantly, find out how much they'll cost. [...] Again, then: WAIT! Don't buy an expensive new GPU today only to see it eclipsed by the next generation hardware in a few weeks. If you can't wait, our advice is to just try and find any old GPU that still works to hold you over. Even a budget card will suffice, and at least those aren't likely to be completely obliterated before 2021 rolls in.
—Patrick

RTX 3060 Ti reviews are out.
It's essentially a cut-down 3070, and its performance puts it RTX 2080 Super < RTX 3060 Ti < RTX 2080 Ti.
But its MSRP is only $400 as compared to the 2080 Super's $700 or the 2080 Ti's $1000, and it beats anything else you can buy that's at or near that $400 price point.

2080 Supers are currently selling for $750-$1300 on Amazon, and 2080 Ti's are listed from $1000-$2000.
I wonder how much longer that will last.

--Patrick

AMD 6900X released. It's about equivalent to an RTX 3080. It uses less power than the 3080, but the 3080 is of course better at ray-tracing. They're all sold out, of course.

Rumors now swirling about RTX 3070/3080 Ti models:

30x0.png

If true, the best B4B cards appear to be the 3070 Ti and 3080...pending final revision and such, of course.

--Patrick

This thread is now about scalpers.
AMD's Zen 3 CPUs have sold for sometimes 240% of their MSRP (looking at the biggest offender, the Ryzen 9 5950X. The RX 6800 XT graphics card has been selling for within an inch of 200% of its MSRP as well, with a median price over the past week set at $1247 (compare that to the $649 MSRP). The RTX 3080 has been selling at 180% of its MSRP for the past week, but it has been moved at 220% of its MSRP before. The case repeats with several degrees of severity for the Xbox family and PS5 consoles.
--Patrick

Hey for anyone who wants an RTX 30x0 card but can't get one due to scalpers, today NVIDIA released their Quadro (oops they're not using that nomenclature any more) er, RTX A6000 card aimed at professionals. It only has GDDR6 memory onboard instead of the GDDR6X memory the 30x0 cards use (meaning VRAM access will be slower), but it packs twice as much of it (48GB) and also has an additional 256 graphics cores enabled compared to the flagship RTX 3090 consumer card.

Best of all, at a MSRP of just US$5500, that means you can probably buy one at only 10% more than what scalpers are charging for 3090s.

--Patrick

Hey for anyone who wants an RTX 30x0 card but can't get one due to scalpers, today NVIDIA released their Quadro (oops they're not using that nomenclature any more) er, RTX A6000 card aimed at professionals. It only has GDDR6 memory onboard instead of the GDDR6X memory the 30x0 cards use (meaning VRAM access will be slower), but it packs twice as much of it (48GB) and also has an additional 256 graphics cores enabled compared to the flagship RTX 3090 consumer card.

Best of all, at a MSRP of just US$5500, that means you can probably buy one at only 10% more than what scalpers are charging for 3090s.

--Patrick
What kind of framerates will it give me when I try to run Crysis?

furmarktrading.png

source

Also you want to know just how big-business serious the scalper market is getting?
How about this story where scalpers decimated an online retailer's inventory of PS5s before they even went on sale because the link to the product page got leaked on Discord a day in advance of the actual sale?
a loophole was discovered by the scalping group Express Notify, a paid-for Discord server that costs £35 (~$48) a month. The Discord shared links internally, allowing people to buy a PS5 before the general population could.
[...]
[W]ebsites need to be aware that there are now groups out there that will do nearly anything to get people a console or computer component. It is incredibly disappointing to see this happening, but hopefully, this will happen less in the future as a spotlight is placed on the issue.
--Patrick

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Which is why Dave doesn't have one. Fuck scalpers and fuck companies who don't know how to find their asses with both hands in the dark and can't figure out how to stop robots from buying all the items.

Which is why Dave doesn't have one. Fuck scalpers and fuck companies who don't know how to find their asses with both hands in the dark and can't figure out how to stop robots from buying all the items.
Seconded gif here...

Same for me. I want a 80 to drive my monitors and it's a nogo

For real, just let me put my name down somewhere on a list, needing to be verifed by either an ID or deposit, saying I want one so I don't need to keep poking at these stock sites in the off chance someone happened to get stock for 5 minutes. I don't care when I get the thing but the tedium of searching is annoying.

For real, just let me put my name down somewhere on a list, needing to be verifed by either an ID or deposit, saying I want one so I don't need to keep poking at these stock sites in the off chance someone happened to get stock for 5 minutes. I don't care when I get the thing but the tedium of searching is annoying.
Same basic thing is going on with ammo right now. There's a severe shortage, and bots are buying existing stock and reselling it for higher prices.

I'm kind of reminded of the Cabbage Patch Kids days. For those who aren't old: They were seriously popular, in short supply, and could be resold for many times higher than the purchase price. But it was before the internet, so many retailers did exactly as Far suggests: You got on a list, and they called you to come get your doll. Others did a free-for-all announcement, and people would "Black Friday" mob the stores, often buying dozens for resale.

I really don't get why it's this hard.
Some specialty beers are brewed in very small batches and can catch ridiculous prices - I've seen bottles I have in my basement, bought for €10, go for over $200. This was getting to be a problem for some beers, but had now been counteracted semi-succesfully by limiting sales to one per person, on order of the brewery association. Sure, some shops won't properly check, or they'll sell a few more from the back, or whatever - but a small store suddenly selling 60 bottles a day will get a warning or be asked for proof of 60 purchases. There's still some reselling, of course, but it's pretty limited these days.
Excluding bots and limiting sales to a reasonable number per actual living person would go a long way.

RTX 3060 announced (the kind that doesn't have a "Ti" on the end). Performance is on par with the RTX 2060 Super but its MSRP is US$70 less than the Super.
NVIDIA says they've tuned the card's firmware & software to recognize when it's being used for mining and throttle down in order to make it less attractive to miners, but we will see how effective these countermeasures are, or how easily these restrictions are overcome. Also we will see whether they interfere at all with gaming or other legitimate use.
Most curious thing to me is that the card has 12GB RAM, which is more than the 3060 Ti, 3070, and even the 3080 come with. Is this related to the mining defenses? If not and it's all available for use, that MIGHT make it the best card for multi-monitor setups* due to that large framebuffer. Gonna have to wait for the real-world reviews to come in, though.

--Patrick
*EDIT: For VIDEO, not gaming. Best card for gaming is still 3080 (well 3090 really but good luck finding one).

Last edited:
RTX 3060 announced (the kind that doesn't have a "Ti" on the end). Performance is on par with the RTX 2060 Super but its MSRP is US$70 less than the Super.
NVIDIA says they've tuned the card's firmware & software to recognize when it's being used for mining and throttle down in order to make it less attractive to miners, but we will see how effective these countermeasures are, or how easily these restrictions are overcome. Also we will see whether they interfere at all with gaming or other legitimate use.
Most curious thing to me is that the card has 12GB RAM, which is more than the 3060 Ti, 3070, and even the 3080 come with. Is this related to the mining defenses? If not and it's all available for use, that MIGHT make it the best card for multi-monitor setups due to that large framebuffer. Gonna have to wait for the real-world reviews to come in, though.

--Patrick
I don't car what they do with it - as long as they rpoduce about 5 times as many of them :-P