What keyboard do you use?

figmentPez

Staff member
Currently I'm using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro that's about 14 years old.
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro.jpg

But it's starting to show it's years. I'm looking at replacements, and there are way too many models of keyboard out there. I'm questioning if I want to go with an ergonomic keyboard again. I do like the shape, but I'm also trying to figure out if a "gaming" keyboard would offer any advantages.

So, what does everyone else use for a keyboard? What would you get if you were buying a new one?

I'm using a Gateway keyboard from a computer I bought 10 years ago. The only "special" features it has are the volume controls and the inability to use F9 through F12 without also hitting the Fn Key, but really, who uses F9 through F12 anymore?

I use whichever keyboard was closest when I set up my computer. I also have multiple computers set up at my station (and elsewhere) so the choice is usually dictated by what was handy when I set that machine up.
I have used so-called "ergonomic" keyboards (the most outlandish of which was this one, which I still have in a box someplace), but I keep gravitating back to the good ol' 105/106-key. For me, the most important characteristic is travel, because I grew up on typewriters (electric and manual) and so I like my keys to sink in a satisfactory amount, unlike the current crop of "Chiclet" keyboards which are thin but have little to no travel.

I would love to get one of the nice buckling spring keyboards still put out by Unicomp, Inc. but am afraid my family would want to drum me out of the living room due to the noise.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
I pretty much just use whatever I have. I do agree with PatrThom about the travel. I can't use a keyboard without that. Needs to have good back legs as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
Currently I'm using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro that's about 14 years old.
View attachment 15931

But it's starting to show it's years. I'm looking at replacements, and there are way too many models of keyboard out there. I'm questioning if I want to go with an ergonomic keyboard again. I do like the shape, but I'm also trying to figure out if a "gaming" keyboard would offer any advantages.

So, what does everyone else use for a keyboard? What would you get if you were buying a new one?
That is the exact keyboard I am also currently using. I shudder to think what I will have to do when it gives up the ghost.

I didn't care about the illumination, it was more about having a wireless keyboard that actually had some decent range on with a number pad. I had a good wireless keyboard/trackpad combo, but I had to stumble around in the dark whenever I had to put in anything with numbers on it because I'm better with ten key placement than I am at the numbers on the top of the keyboard. Plus it defaulted the Fkeys to their alt functions, which was dumb as hell.

I use my TV as a monitor, so I have to have a wireless keyboard and mouse to even use my computer from where I sit.

Hopefully that works. Mine is the "Version 1.0" from about 8 years ago, so the windows/start icon is different, but that's about the only difference.

I'm using one of these:

1704585678842.png

Logitech G413 Full size mechanical. Got it on sale after my old Corsair keyboard bit it. I really like it. Satisfying click of the keys and it's incredibly easy to clean.