I hate Windows 10

Ok I have my complaints with Windows 10, but I can't understand the mindset of someone avoiding it by sticking with Windows 8.

Windows 10 just decided to update my graphics driver.
...with a version that is incompatible with the interface.
...while I was playing a video game.
...during what I have designated as "active hours."
I can think of very few ways Windows could have screwed this up worse.
(Also update to the previous post -- I did make it dual-boot 8/X)

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Still sittin here enjoying Windows 7.

Tolerating Windows 10 on my work PC.

Pitying the poor coworkers whose PCs are now coming with windows 11 and they can't figure out how to static out their own IP addresses because all the shit got moved around AGAIN.

Still sittin here enjoying Windows 7.

Tolerating Windows 10 on my work PC.

Pitying the poor coworkers whose PCs are now coming with windows 11 and they can't figure out how to static out their own IP addresses because all the shit got moved around AGAIN.
Not having Directx12 access would be really painful for me.

Just FYI the other side of the divide isn't faring much better, since macOS Ventura has also moved everything around (and even removed a few things).
It's a very tumultuous time in the tech support world. Have not had to deal with any Win11-specific silliness. Yet. But I'm sure it's coming.

Oh and I know this is supposed to be the "Windows 10" thread but anyway...
Just [1 in 6] PCs have installed Windows 11
I'm typing this on a computer I assembled in Spring of 2022 made of parts current to Spring of 2022 (excepting the RX580 GPU because fuck scalpers) and which Windows Update says, "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11." What was I supposed to do, Microsoft? Build my computer out of parts that haven't even been released yet?

--Patrick

Just FYI the other side of the divide isn't faring much better, since macOS Ventura has also moved everything around (and even removed a few things).
It's a very tumultuous time in the tech support world. Have not had to deal with any Win11-specific silliness. Yet. But I'm sure it's coming.

Oh and I know this is supposed to be the "Windows 10" thread but anyway...

I'm typing this on a computer I assembled in Spring of 2022 made of parts current to Spring of 2022 (excepting the RX580 GPU because fuck scalpers) and which Windows Update says, "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11." What was I supposed to do, Microsoft? Build my computer out of parts that haven't even been released yet?

--Patrick
This is why windows 10 will likely be the last Microsoft operating system I use

GasBandit

Staff member
My steam deck does have me wondering if I need to actually buy another PC in the next 5-10 years... and my current PC is literally 9 years old.

My steam deck does have me wondering if I need to actually buy another PC in the next 5-10 years... and my current PC is literally 9 years old.
How much I'm enjoying SteamOS and Linux in general makes me wonder why Microsoft isn't trying harder to be more user friendly because why would I ever choose windows 11 over this?

This is why windows 10 will likely be the last Microsoft operating system I use
Since Windows 11 requires* the use of a TPM, unless you're willing to sign "ownership" of your computer over to Microsoft, it'll be the last Microsoft operating system you CAN use.

tpminenow.png

--Patrick
*by default, at least.

After installing KB5021233, some Windows devices might start up to an error (0xc000021a) with a blue screen. Technical note: After installing KB5021233, there might be a mismatch between the file versions of hidparse.sys in c:/windows/system32 and c:/windows/system32/drivers (assuming Windows is installed to your C: drive), which might cause signature validation to fail when cleanup occurs.
ASK ME HOW I SPENT MY EVENING TONIGHT
(fortunately was on Cranky's computer, and not my own)

--Patrick

So, how'd you spend your evening?

(also, I have that update downloaded and ready to go, anything I can do to avoid that crap?)

Just in case anyone else wasn't aware (like me!), Microsoft has announced they are going to stop selling Windows 10 licenses to end users as of January 31st of this year. System integrators and other OEMs will still be able to get their good ol' OEM licenses, but YOU will no longer be able to buy your own copy of Windows directly from Microsoft to upgrade your freshly-built or existing machine after Jan 31st of this year. Microsoft has pledged to support Windows 10 until at least October of 2025, though, so there's that.

--Patrick

Ok so we've had discussions about how Windows 11 requires the use of a TPM (and a v2.x TPM, to boot. None of this v1.x BS) before it will even let you install it. The reason for this is that they say the TPM creates a hardware root of trust, a bulwark of firmware-level security at the foundation of everything Windows 11 does to keep everything secure, and...
In-hardware security can be defeated with just two extra bytes
By writing specifically crafted malicious commands, an attacker could exploit the vulnerabilities to crash the TPM chip making it "unusable," execute arbitrary code within TPM's protected memory or read/access sensitive data stored in the (theoretically) isolated crypto-processor.
...uh-oh.

--Patrick

Gosh, a security system that's being forced on millions and thus has the biggest bull's eye in the world on its back turns out to be not 100% foolproof? Who could have guessed?!

One of the reasons I'm reluctant to go for the Steam Deck is because I'm completely unfamiliar with Linux and prefer having at least one Windows capable machine... But with the way W11 is going, I may just pull the trigger:confused:

Microsoft has also just announced that Windows 10 Version 22H2 (released November 2022) will be the last version of Windows 10, and it will get no more feature updates, only security updates, until its prescheduled retirement date three whole years later in October of 2025 and if you don't like it tough go buy a Win11 machine. swap to linux

--Patrick
FTFY. I've got to give it to valve and the steam deck, using Linux as my gaming OS has really showed me the benefits of moving to an open source OS alternative away from the grubby mitts of Microsoft and the like, and Microsoft is making it more and more appealing themselves.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yep. My next gaming PC is probably just going to be my steam deck. I'm almost tempted to just switch to it full time after Steam forces its client to stop working on windows 7 in 250 days.