Everyday sexual harassment of women

GasBandit

Staff member
Am I the only one that thinks they're just ugly shirts, regardless of what picture is on them?
You shut your goddamned mouth.

(I wear a hawaiian shirt to work most every day of the week, though I got too fat for the one that has pretty girls on it a couple years ago).

(I wear a hawaiian shirt to work most every day of the week, though I got too fat for the one that has pretty girls on it a couple years ago).
You could use your new powers and ban him. Search yout feelings. You know you want to. Complete your journey to the Dave side of the force.

Hey, I'm not stranger to Hawaiian shirts. Though I wore mine for the hilarity of it (and an easy way to find me in a crowded Florida theme park).

But then again, THIS shirt is a hundred times more awesome than those abominations. That's before even taking the pictures on them into account.

I have a friend who wears Hawaiian shirts. He gets nothing but grief for it, too. I suppose it depends on where you live on whether Hawaiian shirts are something which is generally wearable. Here in Wisconsin it generally means you've given up on ever getting laid.

His shirt was unprofessional and ridiculous, but I don't believe the amount of negative response was warranted considering what he achieved. If any cause has to bully a man for his poor taste in clothing, I doubt it'll engender many people to join it.

Cajungal

Staff member
I feel like most ladies have the decency to relegate gross clothing like that to insufferable bachelorette parties. I knew I couldn't stop my friends from doing that. That's partly why my party was in a cabin in Ville Platte.

Grr. Argh. I'm reading comments on the whole debacle and it's infuriating me. What should have been a monumental and historic event in the history of humanity is now being overshadowed by the trampled "feelings" of a privileged group. Fucken hell people, it's just a goddamn shirt! >:/

oh my god you babies, the comet landing is not overshadowed by feminist criticism of an inappropriate shirt. It's still going down in the record book and it's still momentous and I doubt in 5 years the wiki article on it will even mention dude's shirt.

Grr. Argh.
As a man, this speaks to me.

I'm reading comments on the whole debacle and it's infuriating me.
Never read the comments. That should be an internet rule.

What should have been a monumental and historic event in the history of humanity is now being overshadowed by the trampled "feelings" of a privileged group. Fucken hell people, it's just a goddamn shirt! >:/
Which privileged group?

Give a pass to people who do big things, huh? Isn't that why we have a thread about a town covering up rape?

-Charlie II

Also, I like to think I pick Hawaiian shirts that look good. Other than one asshole who laughed at them, I've had nothing but compliments when I wear mine. And they're a significant part of my wardrobe.

As a man, this speaks to me.

Never read the comments. That should be an internet rule.

Which privileged group?
The vast number of people who instead of praising a once in a lifetime achievement, decide to berate the person responsible for it on something so subjective like his choice in clothing. Since they have luxuries like time and access to the internet to voice their displeasure, they fit the criteria of being in a group and privileged.

I feel like there should be an irony tag.
I'm well aware of my privilege too Krisken, I know I fit in the description I made. But I wouldn't be voicing any displeasure at all if those people didn't choose to create an issue out of a non-issue in the face of a huge accomplishment, I'd just be celebrating now.

Sure, because for you it's a non-issue. I'm pretty sure those women who are angry don't feel that way. Would you feel differently if it was one of your issues you cared about?

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm gonna go ahead and paraphrase some choice advice that's sometimes given to ladies: Just quit being so emotional about what other people are saying. Simply don't let it affect you. Quit feeling feelings.

Not verbatim, but you know.

GasBandit

Staff member
Was browsing imgur, and a picture of the dude in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SHIRT came up.. and I nearly did a spit take.

I HAVE THAT SHIRT

I HAVE THIS EXACT SHIRT

OMG

I'm starting to get more curious about the rest of his wardrobe.
Also if the Internet is going to be like this about it, maybe we should change it to Not Another Shirt Accident.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm starting to get more curious about the rest of his wardrobe.
Also if the Internet is going to be like this about it, maybe we should change it to Not Another Shirt Accident.

--Patrick

It's the ESA, so it'd be more like "Excellent Shirt Association."

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, if there's one thing that's good about the whole harassment debate, it's that I just got to call our HR lady to the carpet (in a joking way) for her telling our promotions director (also female) to "Smile!" in the hallway.

there is a lot wrong with that joke and I dunno where to start.

for one, I doubt any man has ever feared a kiosk guy raping or killing them. has a man ever been told "don't wear that suit, you're just asking for a salesperson to try to sell you a beamer"

GasBandit

Staff member
has a man ever been told "don't wear that suit, you're just asking for a salesperson to try to sell you a beamer"
Actually, when you go shopping for cars/car repairs/car parts at a scrapyard, common knowledge IS to dress down. I know it was a joke on the Cosby show, too, but my dad went to extra pains to look poor when we went to buy things where haggling was a thing - had me drive him in my beat up mazda instead of his nice car, "don't tell them I'm a doctor," etc etc.

Also, lighten up Francis.

there is a lot wrong with that joke and I dunno where to start.

for one, I doubt any man has ever feared a kiosk guy raping or killing them. has a man ever been told "don't wear that suit, you're just asking for a salesperson to try to sell you a beamer"
The joke isn't all encompassing of sexual harassment, misogyny, rape culture, etc. It is picking out one small aspect and trying to get men to empathize, because many aren't there yet. There is no headway to be made without bringing this across step by step to get more people on the same side of the issue.