Everyday sexual harassment of women

It's sexist of you to think that women can't be tools of the patriarchy just like everyone else.

also my first offense upon seeing that shirt was the garish color palette and how gauche button up shirts with short sleeves are.

also lmao at how mad steinman gets when a woman is proud of her sexuality

edit: just saw these tweets with which I agree

Last edited:
It still boggles my mind that some of you think boob shirts are work appropriate attire. Imagine a woman wearing a shirt covered in dicks to work.

I'm fairly certain you're fooling yourself. Cleavage at work is pretty darn common, and miles more acceptable than any testicular exposure whatsoever.
It's only acceptable to the extent objectification of women is acceptable. If men were objectified to the same degree as women, there would be special cock sleeves in every pair of pants that showed women just how big every guy's dick was. And most shirts would expose a man's shoulder line and/or collarbone area as well. Not even to mention how tight the pants would fit around a guy's butt.

GasBandit

Staff member
My old job, the only person that dressed above a PG rating was one of the partners, but she uh, kind of owned the place so.
So... explain to me how the owner of a business is "objectified" by dressing how she wants because she can get away with it because she's the boss. As I understand it, objectification denotes a loss of power, a loss of personhood. This seems to be an expression of power and control.

So... explain to me how the owner of a business is "objectified" by dressing how she wants because she can get away with it because she's the boss. As I understand it, objectification denotes a loss of power, a loss of personhood. This seems to be an expression of power and control.
I think it's two different conversations. I was just talking about my experience in an office there to BowieLee, not the objectification part toward you.

Dudes. Can you not seriously see how that shirt is kinda damaging? it can be alienating to any woman who wants to enter the sciences?

How Imagine you are a girl who is really into space exploration. You have your heart set on being in NASA one day, being a respected scientist or whatever. Then you see this man wearing this shirt for all the world to see while he talks about something you love. You may not even truly realize what you are seeing but you are left with a lingering, subliminal impression that women aren't well respected in the science community.

You get older and find it hard to get help with you math and science lessons because your teachers spend more time tutoring these subjects to the boys compared to the girls because they have a brighter future in these fields. You are rarely taught about important women in any of you courses. Your peers majje fun of you because of your love for science while a boy with the same interest is never rely questioned. In fact, they think he's pretty smart, albeit nerdy. You are just a shut in and 'no fun'.

You push on through and get to university. Here you are your own again because most of your class mates are male. They constantly try to 'flirt' with you but you don't feel flattered as their flirting often works under the assumption that they need to save you. In group work you are talked over and you are constantly apologizing for voicing your thoughts because you are made to feel like you are interrupting those who matter. Your professors seems to treat you differently, either with kindness that gains resentment from your classmates or with a cold, disdain that makes you uncomfortable.

You make it through, get hired in NASA...and, while the people there are well meaning, you find it to be a boys club. You have to work twice as hard as you male colleagues to be noticed. In some offices there are posters of women wearing barely anything at all. You are gently made of fun of every day for not being a 'real lady'.

Ican ramble on forever. Sciences are already hard for girls to get into because of the perception they are not welcome there. Wearing clothing like that does NOTHING to help that.

Unfortunately, what @LittleSin saying isn't uncommon, for women in STEM fields and a lot of male-dominated fields, like animation. It has gotten better, but I have experienced a similar scenario at college and even going to some studios post-college. It wasn't all the guys, but there were still a few who thought that kind of behavior was okay, and the majority of guys, while not participating, didn't say there was anything wrong with the behavior, either, which just adds to the problem. (I spent an entire 8-hour drive to Ottawa with a classmate repeatedly harassing me, despite a few people telling him to shut up.)

I really don't think the guy in the video was intending to make anyone uncomfortable, but it's really not an appropriate shirt to wear in the workplace in general. I'm not going to be like some people I've seen, saying he should never own a shirt like that in the first place, but it's really more of a outside-of-work shirt.

Cajungal

Staff member
Just speaking a little to what @LittleSin said, it's kind of shocking how many *teachers* still cling to the "english/lit=girls, math/science=boys" myth.

I had an interesting conversation with my two accelerated math students yesterday--one boy and one girl. They asked if a contest they were doing had a boy and girl winner, to make it fair. I had to explain why this was not necessary.

Last edited: