Export thread

Everyday sexual harassment of women

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is a pretty good comic that might prove informative!!! I didn't want to derail the Zoe Quinn thread any further.

http://www.robot-hugs.com/harassment/

GasBandit

GasBandit

If only it actually loaded.

Edit - well, I guess it IS loading, just at early dialup speed.

Edit 2 - still waiting for it to load, but I was amused by the fact that the author felt the need to put a trigger warning in the comic's description - a trigger warning you had to scroll past the 10 page (I counted hitting PGDN on a 1080p screen) comic to see. Pretty sure that's like yelling "heads up!" after the baseball has already smacked someone in the face. Also, lawl Trigger warnings.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If only it actually loaded.

Edit - well, I guess it IS loading, just at early dialup speed.

Edit 2 - still waiting for it to load, but I was amused by the fact that the author felt the need to put a trigger warning in the comic's description - a trigger warning you had to scroll past the 10 page (I counted hitting PGDN on a 1080p screen) comic to see. Pretty sure that's like yelling "heads up!" after the baseball has already smacked someone in the face. Also, lawl Trigger warnings.
Weird, loaded instantly for me.

So ... what are we doing with this thread?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So ... what are we doing with this thread?
Honestly, probably waiting for Jay to show up.

That image doesn't really seem to constitute real discussion (mostly because I suspect most folk here don't inherently disagree with anything in it), so this thread will likely remain mostly empty until then.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Didn't Pez already post this?

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Didn't Pez already post this?
I've never seen this before.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, probably waiting for Jay to show up.

That image doesn't really seem to constitute real discussion (mostly because I suspect most folk here don't inherently disagree with anything in it), so this thread will likely remain mostly empty until then.
Probably. "Call out the guy being an ass" isn't likely to be a divisive issue.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know someone else already posted this comic in another thread, I think it was linked from imgur instead of that website, though.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

In the intervening seven hours, the hosting must have gotten its ducks in a row.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Probably reversed the polarity on its server phase converters or something.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

I know someone else already posted this comic in another thread, I think it was linked from imgur instead of that website, though.

--Patrick
Dei posted it once. Not sure if anyone else did.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I missed it! sorry!

I think a lot of people either don't agree with it, or aren't aware of some of the ideas in it, since I see a lot of the everyday sexism/harassment described on a daily basis on these forums!

Bubble181

Bubble181

A) there's a difference between sexism and harassment
B) there's a difference between harassment and sexual harassment
C) I do not agree with each and every part of that comic, though I do agree with the idea behind it and most of it
D) I feel absolutely no desire to even try to have this conversation in an environment where I know you (you specifically, not a generalized you) will twist and turn words to make anyone who isn't championing your cause into a rape apologist, woman-abusing, aggressive asshole or some version there-of.
E) several of the examples mentioned in the comic exist in the opposite direction as well, and/or have nothing at all to do with men being male and women being female. To take an example, I've used "sorry, I have a boyfriend/girlfriend" before, and I've seen/heard it used by lesbians and homosexual men as well. Some people won't accept "no" for an answer and will thrust themselves at you in the hope of scoring because they're "obviously" what you want. It's a fairly painless "out" when someone's coming on to you and you're not interested. That the situation most often involves women saying it to men is because, in our society, women are still considered the ones who get picked up and men are considered the ones who have to make a move. This is changing, and it's only positive that women are starting to make moves on men as well. It isn't so much "men" as "people who feel they have to make a move and then are too insecure or too bad at reading people to back down when the other party lacks interest.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm going to agree with Steinman and Bubble. This is a worthwhile discussion, but not one to be had with the party involved.

BTW, this is what I'm talking about when I say you're a cancer to your own cause, Charlie. This could be a good, even important, discussion to have, but we won't do it because everyone knows you'll be a toolbag about it and ruin it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

roll eyes

GasBandit

GasBandit

Buck up, Charlie. I'll oppress women for you. Ok? Then we can go get ice cream.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Some of the things in that comic aren't even sexist. A guy sitting with his legs wide? Yeah, that's rude, but it's not because he's a guy, it's because he's inconsiderate. I've routinely had to step off of the path when walking to class in order to let a group of women pass because they were taking up the entire walkway, oblivious to those around them. There are people of all genders (and all races) who are inconsiderate of how much space they take up in public, and it has nothing to do with their demographics.

EDIT: Also, as a guy who has been told by complete strangers that he should cheer up, smile, or otherwise not look depressed in public, it's not a gender thing. Well, it is, because I'm sure women hear it more, but that's because society teaches us that it's acceptable to care about random women, but to fear random men. It's a problem that we think we can tell random people to smile, and it's a problem that happens more to women, but it's not because they're women that we think they should smile.

fade

fade

One of my best friends told me something when we were freshmen in college that has always stuck with me. He has always been savvy beyond his years. He said that things like this are extreme, and they're not fair either, but they're a pendulum swing. The people saying it really want the pendulum in the middle, but to center it, they have to pull it really far to the other side.

GasBandit

GasBandit

One of my best friends told me something when we were freshmen in college that has always stuck with me. He has always been savvy beyond his years. He said that things like this are extreme, and they're not fair either, but they're a pendulum swing. The people saying it really want the pendulum in the middle, but to center it, they have to pull it really far to the other side.
That's very similar to what I've said about Libertarianism for a while.

fade

fade

The same is true of the liberal platform. It's probably not a huge shocker that roughly zero people want big government intervention in anything.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A lot of rude guys spread their legs on the bus/train regardless of the gender of who's sitting next to them.

Anyone, fun conversation I overheard at the bus center:

Guy: "Hey, you're pretty."
Girl: "Thank you."
Guy: "You got a boyfriend?"
Girl: "No."
Guy: "So, let's go out sometime."
Girl: "Thanks, but no."
Guy: "Why not? Not like you got a boyfriend."
Girl: "I don't feel like it."
Guy: "Why? Come on."
Girl: "I have to study."
Guy: "Okay, but you're not studying every night."
Girl: "And I have work."
Guy: "You're not always working. Come on, let's go out."
Girl: "I don't want to."
Guy: "Why? You got somebody you like."
Girl: "Um."
Guy: "Do you?"
Girl: "Yeah, I do."
Guy: "So why ain't you with him?"
Girl: "I just haven't told him yet."
Guy: "You got go after that. You must not want to be with him that bad."
Girl: "I should talk to him."
Guy: "Alright, yeah, you do that. But if it doesn't work out, take my number."
Girl: "Okay."

Quiet after that. My bus came then and I don't know if the conversation continued.

Mathias

Mathias

I missed it! sorry!

I think a lot of people either don't agree with it, or aren't aware of some of the ideas in it, since I see a lot of the everyday sexism/harassment described on a daily basis on these forums!

Uh.. can you link specific posts, or are you (as usual) blowing smoke out of your ass?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wait, is it rude to sit with your knees apart?

Mathias

Mathias

Wait, is it rude to sit with your knees apart?
Yes, you're not allowed to be comfortable. Ever. Now crush your testicles.

But apparently sitting crotch open and knees out is a dominant body posture, which is why some people find it offensive? I dunno, it's generally how I like to sit, or figure four cross-legged, ankle to knee.

Is shaming men for sitting a certain way really a thing?!

I guess so! http://theflounce.com/men-taking-much-space-subway-turkeys-close-legs-campaign/

Really, this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Dei

Dei

Well in this case, I find it rude, since public transportation is already basically sardine cans.

Mathias

Mathias

Well in this case, I find it rude, since public transportation is already basically sardine cans.
I'd shift a bit to make some space if someone wanted to sit next to me, but sorry, you're not going to melt if my knee touches yours.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You know part of me wants to get philosophical and talk about this, then the other part of me realizes how unqualified and disrespectful it would sound coming from someone like me. All I can really say is that all people deserve respect, but due to how we are wired as animals, it will always be an uphill battle. We just have to make sure we keep climbing.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the thing about men sitting with their legs apart is really low on my priority list tbh, and not something I particularly know much about since the South has horrible public transit options

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd shift a bit to make some space if someone wanted to sit next to me, but sorry, you're not going to melt if my knee touches yours.
I don't care about knees touching. If I'm already seated and the guy next to me wants to splay, I'm not moving my legs, they're already in my area. He can air out his crotch when I get off at my stop.

But where this is usually a thing of contention is because the guy is spreading his legs across to the other seat's leg area, meaning the only place for your legs is out in the aisle, which then is in everyone else's way.[DOUBLEPOST=1408792873,1408792833][/DOUBLEPOST]
the thing about men sitting with their legs apart is really low on my priority list tbh, and not something I particularly know much about since the South has horrible public transit options
We are having a dialogue about sexual harassment, Charlie; the details are out of your control. This is what you wanted. Look at it. LOOK AT IT.

fade

fade

I don't normally like participating in the Charlie bashing but I have to admit that was funny.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

My friend is a homecare nurse, and so she's driving around the city all day during the week. She is subject to some pretty disgusting things on a daily basis. Some of the things she says make me afraid for her safety. One guy followed her into an apartment building's parking lot, and when she was behind the building's security door, he humped the door, mimed cunnilingus and yelled "SLUT!" when she ignored him. (Because the slutty thing is to not... have... sex... ???) That's exceptional, generally her days consist of wolf-whistles, vulgar comments yelled at her while driving or walking, guys working the drive-through windows making comments...

Mathias

Mathias

My friend is a homecare nurse, and so she's driving around the city all day during the week. She is subject to some pretty disgusting things on a daily basis. Some of the things she says make me afraid for her safety. One guy followed her into an apartment building's parking lot, and when she was behind the building's security door, he humped the door, mimed cunnilingus and yelled "SLUT!" when she ignored him. (Because the slutty thing is to not... have... sex... ???) That's exceptional, generally her days consist of wolf-whistles, vulgar comments yelled at her while driving or walking, guys working the drive-through windows making comments...

Yes, I want to know where Charlie gets the idea that people act like this on these forums.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, I want to know where Charlie gets the idea that people act like this on these forums.
He's seen how we look at the monitor, how we caress our keyboards. He knows what that means.

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

He's seen how we look at the monitor, how we caress our keyboards. He knows what that means.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've seen some pretty gross reactions to cosplay pictures posted here.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've seen some pretty gross reactions to cosplay pictures posted here.
I blame Shego.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Image editing contest: If Men Had To Put Up With The Same Crap As Women
"Hah-haa!"
"Wait, this isn't funny, it's commentary."
"Oh, but it's so silly!"

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

He-Hulk already exists. He's called The Hulk and he wears an even skimpier outfit than the one that they photoshopped in there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He-Hulk already exists. He's called The Hulk and he wears an even skimpier outfit than the one that they photoshopped in there.
The skyrim one isn't even edited. I have those mods I've heard of those mods.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, but he's "Male Hulk," not "Sexy Male Hulk."

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yes, but he's "Male Hulk," not "Sexy Male Hulk."

--Patrick
I'm sure there are some that would disagree.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The genderswap "see how YOU like it" thing never works. Guys think it's hilarious, and love being made sexual objects.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The genderswap "see how YOU like it" thing never works. Guys think it's hilarious, and love being made sexual objects.
I never understood the whole reversal idea. There have been situations where I thought "if our genders were reversed, this would be bad ... but I'm cool with it happening to me."

Women sexually objectify straight men, the men go:

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, if women objectified men the way that men objectified women.... well, you'd have the gay community.

To an extent, we kind of love to be objectified. There's a reason that gay "dating" apps are full of faceless torsos and dicks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, if women objectified men the way that men objectified women.... well, you'd have the gay community.
Just not as well dressed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

To an extent, we kind of love to be objectified. There's a reason that gay "dating" apps are full of faceless torsos and dicks.
I can't be on Tumblr without seeing girls objectify gay men, but swap the genders and that continues.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Image editing contest: If Men Had To Put Up With The Same Crap As Women
"Hah-haa!"
"Wait, this isn't funny, it's commentary."
"Oh, but it's so silly!"
I couldn't get past the red carpet tuxedos pic. What a colossal lack of effort. No one pays much attention to guy's fashion choices at awards because most tuxedos look pretty much the same. If there were as much variety in menswear as there is in dresses, then you'd see the camera panning up and down the male bodies as well. If women all wore almost identical black dresses, people would pay a lot less attention.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I guess this is a good place to post this... someone has protoyped color-change nail polish that changes color in the presence of date-rape drugs. Suitable for testing your drink.

https://www.facebook.com/undercovercolors

PatrThom

PatrThom

Handy.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'd rather that money / effort go into teaching men not to sexually assault women instead

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd rather that money / effort go into teaching men not to sexually assault women instead
And I'd rather be the king of Londinium and wear a shiny hat. But "Hay rapists stop raping" is no more effective than "Hey killers stop killing" or "Hey burglars stop burgling." If they get it worked out well enough, this color-change nail polish could be an effective tool to combat the problem, making would-be dosers fear "Ahmigawd what if she has that color change shit on her nails fuck man I don't want to go to jail they pass guys like me around like a spliff there" returning the power to his would-be victim, and perhaps even other women not even in that situation.

Kind of like how caller ID stomped out the vast majority of prank calls. Do you think the technology spent developing caller ID would have been better spent teaching preteens not to prank call?

Espy

Espy

The reason why gender swap stuff doesn't usually work isn't because men find it funny, which they do, but because it's a power issue, not a sex issue.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, I think even Scott Kurtz delved into this years and years ago. Remember the Halloween strip arc one year where Jade was mad at Brent, claiming he was objectifying her, so to let him "see what it feels like," they went to the PVP Halloween party dressed as each other, and JadeBrent spent the entire evening verbally objectifying him and making unsubtle innuendo and what not, and when she finally asked BrentJade "So how does it feel?" he basically replied he'd never been more turned on in his entire life?

Not meant as an example to "prove" anything, but just related content on the topic.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Kind of like how caller ID stomped out the vast majority of prank calls. Do you think the technology spent developing caller ID would have been better spent teaching preteens not to prank call?
I don't think Caller ID was made for the sole purpose of eliminating prank calls. This stuff has no function at all except in a society where people drug and rape each other on a regular basis, and I think we can be better than that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't think Caller ID was made for the sole purpose of eliminating prank calls. This stuff has no function at all except in a society where people drug and rape each other on a regular basis, and I think we can be better than that.
Actually, it was marketed explicitly as a tool to combat obscene phone calls. I remember the advertisements for it back in the 90s. The silhouette of a man in a dim room dialing a woman, breathing into the mouth piece as she asks "Hello? ... Who's this?" Then she takes a look at the caller ID box (had to get it in a separate box back then because obviously phones weren't equipped with it), "Your number's 555-1234, right?" And the guy panics and hangs up, with a look of "oh shit I'm gon'ta jail" on his face while the woman smiles broadly and hangs up, getting back to her dinner party or whatever.

Really, what other reason would you suggest they had for creating and offering caller ID as a paid extra service besides removing the anonymity from prank/obscene calls? People already used their answering machine to screen calls if they were into that (this was largely before voice mail caught on, too).

As for your second sentence, thousands of years of human history pretty much disagrees with you. We do live in a society and a world where people drug and rape each other - not on a "regular basis" but one time in a thousand will still ruin your life. You can't educate violent criminals not to be violent. At least not without some sci-fi ludovico shit we ain't got yet. You can only make them fear the consequences of being caught, and increase in their mind (and in reality) the likelihood of being busted.

Bowielee

Bowielee

And I'd rather be the king of Londinium and wear a shiny hat. But "Hay rapists stop raping" is no more effective than "Hey killers stop killing" or "Hey burglars stop burgling." If they get it worked out well enough, this color-change nail polish could be an effective tool to combat the problem, making would-be dosers fear "Ahmigawd what if she has that color change shit on her nails fuck man I don't want to go to jail they pass guys like me around like a spliff there" returning the power to his would-be victim, and perhaps even other women not even in that situation.

sticker,375x360.png

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, I think even Scott Kurtz delved into this years and years ago. Remember the Halloween strip arc one year where Jade was mad at Brent, claiming he was objectifying her, so to let him "see what it feels like," they went to the PVP Halloween party dressed as each other, and JadeBrent spent the entire evening verbally objectifying him and making unsubtle innuendo and what not, and when she finally asked BrentJade "So how does it feel?" he basically replied he'd never been more turned on in his entire life?

Not meant as an example to "prove" anything, but just related content on the topic.
You know what would work for reversal?

Think about guys' "crazy girl" stories. I mean aside from the "I was an asshole and my girlfriend was so crazy to dump me". The ones I tend to hear are of sudden serious commitment, instant labels, immediate expectations of romance and marriage, talk about future kids, etc WAY too soon, at what would be considered inappropriate points to bring them up, like upon meeting, or a first date.

That would be the equivalent. A lot of women would say they wouldn't want the sexual equivalent of those right off the bat. So, for straight guys to "know how it feels", you'd need to be harassing them with "do you love me?", or "let's get married", or ... I don't know, I'm sure guys can come up with more. Commitment/romantic objectification.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The reason why gender swap stuff doesn't usually work isn't because men find it funny, which they do, but because it's a power issue, not a sex issue.
You know, we keep saying this, but some people either just don't get it, or choose not to believe it.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I couldn't get past the red carpet tuxedos pic. What a colossal lack of effort. No one pays much attention to guy's fashion choices at awards because most tuxedos look pretty much the same. If there were as much variety in menswear as there is in dresses, then you'd see the camera panning up and down the male bodies as well. If women all wore almost identical black dresses, people would pay a lot less attention.
And to illustrate what I mean by lack of effort, these are the type of suits & tuxedos that would be featured by fashion coverage of men:
will-smith-slaps-reporter.jpg

gerard-butler-kilt-law-abiding-citizen-glasgow-08.jpg
2012-style-verdict-the-innocent-stand-out_men.png

I can guarantee you that the camera panned up and down Gerard Butler when he wore that kilt, and probably Robert Downey Jr. in that purple suit as well. If all the men worse stuff like this, and all the women wore virtually identical outfits, almost all the coverage would be on men. And that's why I think the article was lazy. It just said "Hey, what if we paid attention to men as they most commonly are?" Which is stupid, and indicates they aren't even aware that men get attention for dressing outside the norm.

If I lived somewhere with cooler weather, and had the money, I'd own a closet full of richly colored and patterned suits.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And to illustrate what I mean by lack of effort, these are the type of suits & tuxedos that would be featured by fashion coverage of men:

I can guarantee you that the camera panned up and down Gerard Butler when he wore that kilt, and probably Robert Downey Jr. in that purple suit as well. If all the men worse stuff like this, and all the women wore virtually identical outfits, almost all the coverage would be on men. And that's why I think the article was lazy. It just said "Hey, what if we paid attention to men as they most commonly are?" Which is stupid, and indicates they aren't even aware that men get attention for dressing outside the norm.

If I lived somewhere with cooler weather, and had the money, I'd own a closet full of richly colored and patterned suits.
Goddamn RDJ is a pimp.

... Will Smith looks like he wants to sell me insurance. Or tell me about Xenu

bhamv3

bhamv3

You know, we keep saying this, but some people either just don't get it, or choose not to believe it.

--Patrick
I personally find "rape is about power, not about sex" to be a far too simplistic view of rape, which makes it a dangerous idea to propagate. Rape has both a sexual element and a power element. It would be wrong to trivialize either of them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I personally find "rape is about power, not about sex" to be a far too simplistic view of rape, which makes it a dangerous idea to propagate. Rape has both a sexual element and a power element. It would be wrong to trivialize either of them.
However, this line of thinking assumes rape is inextricably linked to some sort of (presumably nonconsensual) sexual act. This is not true. For me, at least, "rape" is not about a degrading sexual act, it is about the degradation inflicted by the act. This expands the definition to include states of forced intrusion which are not limited to the physical realm.

--Patrick

Necronic

Necronic

See really I like to think about it like the civil war...[DOUBLEPOST=1409023520,1409023106][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I always sit with my legs spread open in any interaction that has a potential for a profitable disparity in the power dynamic, be it a man, woman, or even (I shit you not), and animal. If I'm negotiating, or even just pallin around with some buddies, I'm gonna do stuff that makes other people subconsciously uncomfortable. I make heavy eye contact. I smile with my teeth. I put my boots on the coffee table.

This isn't really targeted at women though. Just people I feel I need to dominate for whatever reason. Or just people I don't fucking like.

Sometimes it's the opposite. In those cases I need to show deference. I avoid eye contact. I keep my head lowered. I slouch to limit my full height.

Body language matters. Use it.

And fwiw my lady dominates the shit out of me regularly and there's really nothing I can do about it even though I am like a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier than her.....

bhamv3

bhamv3

However, this line of thinking assumes rape is inextricably linked to some sort of (presumably nonconsensual) sexual act. This is not true. For me, at least, "rape" is not about a degrading sexual act, it is about the degradation inflicted by the act. This expands the definition to include states of forced intrusion which are not limited to the physical realm.

--Patrick
I feel this is more about semantics though. By your definition, a hacker breaking into my email and posting the love letters I wrote to my ex-girlfriends would be a type of rape.

Anyway, I don't want to get into a debate about the definition of rape in the non-physical realm. My point is that parroting the idea of "rape is about power, not sex" is an over-simplification.

(On an unrelated note, I should go delete those love letters)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I feel this is more about semantics though. By your definition, a hacker breaking into my email and posting the love letters I wrote to my ex-girlfriends would be a type of rape.

Anyway, I don't want to get into a debate about the definition of rape in the non-physical realm. My point is that parroting the idea of "rape is about power, not sex" is an over-simplification.

(On an unrelated note, I should go delete those love letters)
The problem is when you start getting into people suggesting things like chemical or physical castration as a means that rapists will no longer be able to rape anyone. This is not a solution. Rapists will still rape, regardless of whether they harbor actual sexual urges or not. It's also one of the reasons that male rape was swept under the rug for so long. It was impossible for people to believe for a long time that a woman, not having a penis, could rape a man.

So, yes, it is an important distinction to make.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes, but that hacker would be raping your email acct for the purpose of shaming you. It is a discussion about semantics, but I've already said that language is so much richer to me than just 7 basic colors. I know I'm atypical. The puns come easier, though.

--Patrick

Rovewin

Rovewin

Yes, but that hacker would be raping your email acct for the purpose of shaming you. It is a discussion about semantics, but I've already said that language is so much richer to me than just 7 basic colors. I know I'm atypical. The puns come easier, though.

--Patrick
Yeah you and I have very different definitions of rape. That way of using it feels like hyperbole that just degrades the meaning of the word. I've always seen the definition as something involving the unwanted sexual assault of someone. I suppose you are going more towards the definition that is the violent seizure/plunder of something but the above example is still hyperbole under that as there is not the violence. It is a violation but not a rape.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah you and I have very different definitions of rape. That way of using it feels like hyperbole that just degrades the meaning of the word. I've always seen the definition as something involving the unwanted sexual assault of someone. I suppose you are going more towards the definition that is the violent seizure/plunder of something but the above example is still hyperbole under that as there is not the violence. It is a violation but not a rape.
www.dictionary.com
rape1

[reyp]

noun
the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
statutory rape.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation:
the rape of the countryside.
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object), raped, raping.
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.
verb (used without object), raped, raping.
to commit rape.

So, you're both right.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This sort of thing has been discussed before.
Popular usage v. "soul of the language," etc.

Whichever meaning you choose, they're all criminal done with criminal intent.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

True, but it does lend itself to "watering down" rape. And yes, I'm aware that some people like to jump up and down my throat when I say something like that, but there's a difference of gravity between a grope on the bus and being anally violated by 6 men in an alley. Calling both "rape" just means we need yet another word to distinctively mean the worst kind. Both are forms of sexual harassment, both are unacceptable intrusions in personal space and half a dozen other things. I'm not referring to your usage, specifically, Pat, 'cause I do know and understand what you mean, but some people would like to label "being forced to listen to a man drone on about something misogynist"as being "rape". At a certain point, someone could say "I've been raped!" and people wouldn't know how serious to take it. It's like using one sweeping term for everything from pickpocketing to carjacking and home invasions and mail fraud. Yes, they're all theft. But, while all of those are crappy, someone who got swindled out of $500 by a phishing scam gets a different reaction than someone whose home was invaded, whose care and memorabilia were stolen, etc etc. The second one almost being a form of rape, going by the whole "unwanted invasion of personal space" form.

Anyway, the general term ("theft") is, AFAIK, sexual harassment or whatever. "Rape" is a specific term for some of the worse variations, to me.

About the finger nails, I'm sure it can be a step-up to variations that change color with other chemical reactions. Fingernails that color when you're about to hit the limit on alcoholic content, or for all I care that change when you've consumed too many calories, or simply when you're turned on, or in the heat, or.... who knows. In 20 years, people might be arguing that chemically colorchanging nails didn't really start with detecting dat rape drugs, now did they?

Celt Z

Celt Z

True, but it does lend itself to "watering down" rape. And yes, I'm aware that some people like to jump up and down my throat when I say something like that, but there's a difference of gravity between a grope on the bus and being anally violated by 6 men in an alley. Calling both "rape" just means we need yet another word to distinctively mean the worst kind. Both are forms of sexual harassment, both are unacceptable intrusions in personal space and half a dozen other things. I'm not referring to your usage, specifically, Pat, 'cause I do know and understand what you mean, but some people would like to label "being forced to listen to a man drone on about something misogynist"as being "rape". At a certain point, someone could say "I've been raped!" and people wouldn't know how serious to take it. It's like using one sweeping term for everything from pickpocketing to carjacking and home invasions and mail fraud. Yes, they're all theft. But, while all of those are crappy, someone who got swindled out of $500 by a phishing scam gets a different reaction than someone whose home was invaded, whose care and memorabilia were stolen, etc etc. The second one almost being a form of rape, going by the whole "unwanted invasion of personal space" form.

Anyway, the general term ("theft") is, AFAIK, sexual harassment or whatever. "Rape" is a specific term for some of the worse variations, to me.
Usually, at least in my experience, the difference is "sexual assault" and "rape", as in, you can be sexually assaulted in a way that targets your sex/person, but it isn't necessarily rape, but rape is a form of sexual assault. Both are bad and should never be allowed to happen, but I wouldn't consider the number of times I've been sexually assaulted as rape.

Bowielee

Bowielee

http://feministchallengingtransphob.../03/22/if-everything-is-rape-nothing-is-rape/

Thought this was an interesting read and relevant to the conversation.

GasBandit

GasBandit

http://www.dictionary.com
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
"The Rape of the Sabine Women" is referring to how they were abducted, not what happened afterwards, after all.

to plunder (a place); despoil.
Captain Gloriosus raped Thrace thrice?[DOUBLEPOST=1409061132,1409061000][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://feministchallengingtransphob.../03/22/if-everything-is-rape-nothing-is-rape/

Thought this was an interesting read and relevant to the conversation.
One thing that definitely HAS annoyed me about the "gaming community" as its overuse of the word "rape" in a context simply meaning victory. Very irritating.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

PLEASE let us talk about the definition of the word rape and quote a dictionary, that is REALLY a great form of discourse and will help everyone have a greater understanding

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

PLEASE let us talk about the definition of the word rape and quote a dictionary, that is REALLY a great form of discourse and will help everyone have a greater understanding
They're already doing that. Come on, dude, read past the OP.

tegid

tegid

[/sarcastic]

PatrThom

PatrThom

What's your price, Charlie? How much money and time would it take to train/bribe you to stop everyday assaulting women? $20? $40? Would a one-time payment be enough, or would we need to set up some kind of subscription thing to keep the "You shouldn't be doing that" fresh in your head?

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

What's your price, Charlie? How much money and time would it take to train/bribe you to stop everyday assaulting women? $20? $40? Would a one-time payment be enough, or would we need to set up some kind of subscription thing to keep the "You shouldn't be doing that" fresh in your head?

--Patrick

I have no clue what you're even beginning to say in your post, sorry

Necronic

Necronic

The way it changes is through coversations like this which will slowly push public opinion in ways that will force public figures to change how they present themselves which will then change the prevailing culture that children are raised in.

And it's working! Just the discussion of it. The whole Dickwolves thing, I can guarantee you that it has changed how a lot of authors write. And I'm not arguing that the Dickwolves argument was right or wrong. I'm jus saying that increased exposure of the issue through discussions like this eventually get us moving (sort of) forward. "Rape culture" will eventually be like civil rights/racism. It will still exist, but it will be socially unacceptable.

So anyways. Keep talking about it. Talking about our problems doesn't directly solve them, but it makes us more thoughtful which goes a long way to fixing things. We're doing it right now. We did it before. And we'll do it again!

PatrThom

PatrThom

This requires one to believe that human babies are blank slates, and that every desire or urge is molded by their environment, though, which few people truly accept, so I'm not sure how he reconciles his assumption that we can have a perfect society if only we change it a little with the fact that people are not 100% defined by their environment.
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming Charlie has had no part in manufacturing kids of his own, and therefore no frame of reference when it comes to the raising of chillens.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

It seems so very arbitrary and lacking in reason and logic.
It seems very Hawthornian to me.

To be fair, I believe the question is one of nature AND nurture, with both having a bearing on the finished product. One can blame poor construction on the materials or on the architect, but in reality the end result is mainly the product of both those factors.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I couldn't decide if I should post this here or the misanthropy thread, but this is the one I found first. http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/09/08/womens-rights-violence-advertising?cmpid=tp-fb

Bowielee

Bowielee

I couldn't decide if I should post this here or the misogyny thread, but this is the one I found first.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/09/08/womens-rights-violence-advertising?cmpid=tp-fb
I don't even have the words....

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

In this utopia, law enforcement would cease to be necessary, which would solve another of his great complaints.
I'm not so sure. Let's say that tomorrow, no one committed any crimes. Would people stop getting pulled over or arrested? I don't think so. Officers show their value through what they bring in, which is why at either the beginning or end of the month, at least up north, you'll see increased police cars on the highway, about three times more than usual for quota time.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I couldn't decide if I should post this here or the misanthropy thread, but this is the one I found first. http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/09/08/womens-rights-violence-advertising?cmpid=tp-fb
I'd say thats a clear case of someone being stupid, but not malicious.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes. I don't see the sticker as being "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped WOMAN in my truck bed because I advocate violence against WOMEN," I see it as "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped PERSON in my truck bed and it's a picture of a WOMAN because that makes me a bigger troll."

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yes. I don't see the sticker as being "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped WOMAN in my truck bed because I advocate violence against WOMEN," I see it as "Ha-haa! I have a kidnapped PERSON in my truck bed and it's a picture of a WOMAN because that makes me a bigger troll."

--Patrick
The entire concept regardless of gender is just horrible.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The entire concept regardless of gender is just horrible.
Oh, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm just explaining why I thought a woman's image was chosen.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I saw the image and I thought it was some sort of human trafficking or abuse awareness campaign. It's meant to be a joke?

Well, that killed my appetite. I am now sick to my stomach.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Let me ask you guys a question.. on halloween, when somebody hangs a dummy from a tree dressed in real clothes, do you have the same reaction?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Let me ask you guys a question.. on halloween, when somebody hangs a dummy from a tree dressed in real clothes, do you have the same reaction?
Nope, not even a fair comparison. Though there are some people every year who are offended by this. Y'know, the hanging man/KKK connection.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nope, not even a fair comparison. Though there are some people every year who are offended by this. Y'know, the hanging man/KKK connection.
I think people are overreacting, including the person who wrote the linked article, who describes the image as a woman "beaten and tied." I didn't see any obvious signs of beating, I think that's just the author's colorful storytelling.

The truck decal might have been in poor taste, but it's hardly a ghastly crime against humanity worth, to borrow a phrase from someone else around here whose name escapes me, all this pearl-clutching.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It was still ridiculously stupid on the part of the person who owns the business. His cavalier attitude about the whole thing also kind of shows that he just doesn't give a flip.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've never seen a photo-realistic dummy hanging from a tree on Halloween. If I did, it probably would make me sick to my stomach, but I'm squeamish like that. However, I wouldn't comment on it, unless the person decided that they were just going to keep it up as decoration all year round, because they think that hanging is a joke.

fade

fade

Yeah, that doesn't even remotely strike me as in the same vein as a halloween decoration, but I'm finding it hard to verbalize why. A Halloween decoration doesn't carry the same implied message. A Halloween decoration is supposed to be scary precisely because you understand that what it represents is bad. Even when used for humor, it's always obvious that what it represents is a bad thing, and as a joke, it's a form of whistling in the dark. The decal implies neither though--only that it's HILARIOUS to have a woman tied up in the back of your truck.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, the larger point that people are kind of dancing around is that on Halloween it's expected to see scary/disturbing/gross imagery as part of the sociological construct built around the holiday. That makes the image brought up by Gas completely incomparable.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, that doesn't even remotely strike me as in the same vein as a halloween decoration, but I'm finding it hard to verbalize why. A Halloween decoration doesn't carry the same implied message. A Halloween decoration is supposed to be scary precisely because you understand that what it represents is bad. Even when used for humor, it's always obvious that what it represents is a bad thing, and as a joke, it's a form of whistling in the dark. The decal implies neither though--only that it's HILARIOUS to have a woman tied up in the back of your truck.
Not at all - it's not supposed to be hilarious, it's supposed to be jarring. The point of the decal was to get the quality/realism of the decal noticed, thus drum up custom for the decal shop. No matter how photorealistic it is, however, any lateral movement would reveal it for the sham it was and undo the illusion.

How about this one -

The child drawn on the street is supposed to be jarring to drivers who aren't paying enough attention. Naturally, the illusion breaks down very quickly if you're not in the sweet spot cone of perception, but still, how many people would slam on their brakes? How many rear-end collisions might have occurred because of this? Should the City of Vancouver have been reprimanded for making this happen? The thought of running over a child is just as heartrending.

fade

fade

But that doesn't strike me at all the same either. That was with the intent to be disturbing like Halloween decorations. I don't get that impression at all from the decal people.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But that doesn't strike me at all the same either. That was with the intent to be disturbing like Halloween decorations. I don't get that impression at all from the decal people.
And, again, you're getting your impression of the decal people from a hit piece on them.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, no, that's pretty uniquely horrible no matter what people try to compare it too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, no, that's pretty uniquely horrible no matter what people try to compare it too.
Not really.[DOUBLEPOST=1409365835,1409365372][/DOUBLEPOST]Imgur just learned about those who think as Charlie does on the anti-rape-drug nail polish.

feckrapenails.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

How dare people have tools to keep themselves safe.

Mathias

Mathias

While funny, I think that Charlie is more an optimist than I.

He seems to believe that there exists a societal structure and culture that if we adopted it, people would choose, of their own free will and choice, not to rape. We wouldn't necessarily have to convince, teach, train, or punish crimes because he is of the opinion that human nature doesn't support criminal activities, and that it is only because humans are allowed to grow up in our current (bad) society that they become exposed to and trained to be rapists and perform other criminal activities.

So, in Charlie's mind, the money would go toward creating/adopting that ideal for our society, and the problems will melt away as humanity enters its next stage of peace and happiness. It wouldn't go to anti-rape programs, or anti-rape tools, etc.

In this utopia, law enforcement would cease to be necessary, which would solve another of his great complaints. And the government would lose power - it would still have a role to play, but without significant power there'd be no corruption.

This requires one to believe that human babies are blank slates, and that every desire or urge is molded by their environment, though, which few people truly accept, so I'm not sure how he reconciles his assumption that we can have a perfect society if only we change it a little with the fact that people are not 100% defined by their environment.

It is one of the great Halforums mysteries.

It's about 50/50:: genes/environment. AND I'm a huge fan of epigenetics, where your environment affects your genes and subsequently passes those affected genes to your offspring! People aren't closed systems, and their environment has a huge impact on their character; however, no matter how ideal or Utopian a society is, there will always be bad eggs. Charlie be living in a dream world.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Epigenetics is mind blowing stuff. It apparently doesn't exist in the mobile dictionary either.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I know right? I mean, fuck locksmiths and companies like Schlage. They just perpetuate the idea that it's property owners responsibility to prevent theft, and charge people for it! Seriously, any time that you sell security products, you're just sending the message that it's okay to make sure that thieves steal from someone else.

Dei

Dei

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wish it was as simple as guys being too dumb to know the difference between "That's a cool hat" versus "Yeah, I'd fuck you." But it's not; when pressed, a lot of them don't even know why they do it. It's really just IRL trolling.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I forgot all about that article; thanks for posting it.

And the men who scored higher as "hostile sexists"—those who view women as controlling and invaders of male space—didn't show brain activity that indicates they saw the women in bikinis as humans with thoughts and intentions.
That's fucking terrifying.

Espy

Espy

Not really.
Yeah, it really is. For so many reasons. Some of them being that people think it isn't. That says a lot about the culture we take in and find acceptable.[DOUBLEPOST=1409421081,1409421000][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wish it was as simple as guys being too dumb to know the difference between "That's a cool hat" versus "Yeah, I'd fuck you." But it's not; when pressed, a lot of them don't even know why they do it. It's really just IRL trolling.
I wouldn't call it trolling, I think it's people blind to the realization that the person they are addressing as a object for their own pleasure is as valuable a human as they are. Which is very problematic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, it really is. For so many reasons. Some of them being that people think it isn't. That says a lot about the culture we take in and find acceptable.
"It's worse because many people think it isn't worse." That's circuitous logic at its best. Explain to me explicitly why a decal of a tied up woman is worse than a decal of a child about to get run over.

Espy

Espy

"It's worse because many people think it isn't worse." That's circuitous logic at its best. Explain to me explicitly why a decal of a tied up woman is worse than a decal of a child about to get run over.
You misunderstand, or more likely I didn't phrase it right. It's extra horrible because so many people have bought into a culture that views women as objects for men to use as they see fit (although they are generally oblivious to this, because of that little problem of privilege that I know you loathe) that they see something like that and can't see why it would be problematic (i.e. "Oh sure, it's in bad taste but it's not that bad").

I truly don't expect you to agree, but no amount of telling me how "it's not a big deal" is going to change the fact that that I see a very disturbing cultural problem this sort of thing and the reaction to it from a section of the male population exemplifies.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And the follow up question should be, how much of this is nature and how much is nurture? If we raise men to be think differently, can they view women as people, even when those women are wearing bikinis? Or is it an inevitability of biology that showing a lot of skin will cause most men to think a certain way?

Personally, I hope, and largely suspect, that this is a case of nurture. We can change the way we think, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy, or simple.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You misunderstand, or more likely I didn't phrase it right. It's extra horrible because so many people have bought into a culture that views women as objects for men to use as they see fit (although they are generally oblivious to this, because of that little problem of privilege that I know you loathe) that they see something like that and can't see why it would be problematic.
This implies that the viewer identifies with and approves the concept of the woman tied up, which I don't agree with. If anything, the creator of the decal chose to make it of a woman because he agrees with you - the decal would not have had the same jarring impact if it had depicted a man tied up, because of a long reinforced cultural trope of it being particularly villainous to victimize a woman, as opposed to a man - the man is expected to "be able to defend himself" in our cultural zeitgeist. Snidely Whiplash ties Nell to the tracks, not Dudley. A woman tied up in the back of a truck is reprehensible. An image of a woman tied up in the back of a truck is storytelling. Maybe it's a story you don't want to hear, but that does not make the author an oppressor of women.

To suggest otherwise is to claim someone, be it the creator or the viewer, is unable to distinguish fiction from reality, or is at least influenced by fiction to a great degree - the same argument that says violent video games cause school shootings.

Espy

Espy

Like I said, I don't expect you to agree with me. I'm ok with that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Heh. Now you're starting to sound like @GasBandit.
Epigenetics is mind blowing stuff.
It's the literal embodiment of nurture influencing Nature.
Or a sign that some people haven't learned how to sublimate their id well enough to function in a polite society.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Heh. Now you're starting to sound like @GasBandit.
Okay?

Or a sign that some people haven't learned how to sublimate their id well enough to function in a polite society.
That implies that there's something for them to gain. Sometimes this is true and sometimes it isn't. They know acting that way isn't going to attract someone, but do it anyway.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Like I said, I don't expect you to agree with me. I'm ok with that.
ARGUE DAMN YOU

Espy

Espy

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

ARGUE DAMN YOU
Quick, somebody find JCM!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Aren't we all JCM?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aren't we all JCM?
Psh. I'm not.

:ninja:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Psh. I'm not.

:ninja:
Of course, you're not! The very idea!

PatrThom

PatrThom

He's been busy.
jcm.jpg

(saw this while playing a couple nights ago)

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

He's been busy.

(saw this while playing a couple nights ago)

--Patrick
ALL YOU CAN UPGRADE IS STRENF?!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pretty substantial article about the Sarkeesian thing over here.
There's a common trope of framing Sarkeesian's work as "cherry-picked", as she takes isolated examples from many games and presents them as a stream of misogyny in order to create the illusion that all of these games are entirely misogynist, the entire way through. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of what it is Sarkeesian is doing with TvsWVG, and what cultural criticism in general is. These are tropes - they're fragments of a whole. [...] In other words, Anita Sarkeesian only presents sections of games as sexist [in her videos] because she's only talking about the sexist bits of games, and how, of the tropes developers choose to put in their games when designing for female characters, they frequently fall back on sexist ones.
--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, it saved the whammy for last.

MYTH 5: Women earn 77 cents for every dollar a man earns—for doing the same work.
FACTS
: No matter how many times this wage gap claim is decisively refuted by economists, it always comes back. The bottom line: the 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week. When such relevant factors are considered, the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week.
once you take away all of male privilege, yeah, the wage gap is nothin' at all! whew, we cracked it!

also re: the fappening... you ever wonder why there's no celeb dick pics leaked yet??? hum.....

Bowielee

Bowielee

To be fair, there are multiple male celebrities who have had leaked nudes and/or sex tapes come out, such as Fred Durst, Bret Favre, and multiple politicians. The big difference being, women aren't actively seeking out these pictures for sexual gratification, rather the media itself is searching for them for the sheer sentimentalization of them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

To be fair, there are multiple male celebrities who have had leaked nudes and/or sex tapes come out, such as Fred Durst, Bret Favre, and multiple politicians. The big difference being, women aren't actively seeking out these pictures for sexual gratification, rather the media itself is searching for them for the sheer sentimentalization of them.
It's almost as if the different genders tend to want different things as erotic stimuli. But that'd be crazy talk.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's almost as if the different genders tend to want different things as erotic stimuli. But that'd be crazy talk.
Way to refute a point I neither made, nor implied.

You're a SUPERSTAR!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Way to refute a point I neither made, nor implied.

You're a SUPERSTAR!
I think he was trying to agree with you?

But it's GasBandit, who can tell.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I never CAN tell...

Last time he agreed with me, I thought he was arguing with me.

My world is all topsy turvy when it happens.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I never CAN tell...

Last time he agreed with me, I thought he was arguing with me.

My world is all topsy turvy when it happens.
Yes, my sarcastic point was in support of yours, and aimed at Charlie's "Why for no dick pics" thing.

Necronic

Necronic

Pretty substantial article about the Sarkeesian thing over here.

--Patrick
Her name rang a bell so I googled her and read her wiki page. Man....that abuse ladled on her was completely inappropriate and unnaceptable

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not due to the points she makes, but the way she makes them.
The persecuted have an unfortunate habit of asking for equality from the persecutor(s) but in actuality demanding retribution. That is, they aren't ever going to be happy until they've experienced the schadenfreude of watching their former oppressors suffer.
I am not accusing Sarkeesian of this (I have no real standing to do so, as I don't remember more than a few minutes of her videos), but this is a common enough feature of most things labeled as "critiques" that her videos have that quality ascribed to them prior to ever pressing the "play" button, and that colors the context and interpretation of the remainder.

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Speaking from personal experience only, she seems much less polarizing among actual developers and and publishers than she is among the vocal section of her critics in the gaming community, even with those who don't agree with her entirely. No one really disagrees that there is a problem, they just disagree on its severity and the best way to deal with it (of note, almost all female developers/producers I've met say, "get more women in the industry into creative control and production, not just as code monkeys or artists or marketers").

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Been wanting to comment on the whole Sarkeesian situation, but after writing up a long post I feel I got lost in my points and ultimately looked like a bit of a hypocrite.

All I will say is Sarkeesian has a right to her opinions or bringing knowledge about sexism in gaming. This is no reason to send her death threats. She does not deserve that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The persecuted have an unfortunate habit of asking for equality from the persecutor(s) but in actuality demanding retribution. That is, they aren't ever going to be happy until they've experienced the schadenfreude of watching their former oppressors suffer.
I think that's a vocal fraction as opposed to an overall climate among persecuted groups.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've seen paparazzi pictures of Brad Pitt naked.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've taken paparazzi pictures of Brad Pitt naked.
FTFY

Terrik

Terrik

I've seen paparazzi pictures of me naked.

FTFY

Adam

Adam

I've taken paparazzi pictures of me naked.
FTFY

GasBandit

GasBandit

"I swear to God I'll pistol-whip the next guy who says 'FTFY!'"

Bowielee

Bowielee

I call shenanigans.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

"I swear to God I'll pistol-whip the next guy who says shenanigans'"
FTFY

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Oh will you, meow?

PatrThom

PatrThom

tumblr_inline_n6rqy08hNg1rzphvv.jpg

FTFY

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh come on, all those FTFY jokes and no one would do me the favor of claiming I'm actually Brad Pitt?

cartman_3.gif

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Type in "nude male celebrity" into google. There's no shortage of them.
(links nsfw)
http://perezhilton.com/2013-12-22-dylan-sprouse-more-nude-pics-leaked-again
http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/21/prince-harry-naked-photos-nude-vegas-hotel-party/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/greg-oden-naked-pictures_n_437238.html
http://truenudecelebritiesmale.tumblr.com/
http://www.queerty.com/ass-appeal-queertys-10-favorite-male-nude-photo-leaks-20140904
http://majdad-celebs.tumblr.com/

And an article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...hy-dont-naked-pictures-of-men-get-leaked.html

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

"men's issues are equivalent in scope and severity to women's issues in this area" you shout, and all I can reply is "lmfao"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"men's issues are equivalent in scope and severity to women's issues in this area" you shout, and all I can reply is "lmfao"
I don't think Tinwhistler was trying to say it's equivalent so much as give Bowielee some ... "reading" material.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

We'd prefer if you replied, "I'm leaving, and I'm never coming back." You contribute absolutely nothing of substance to any conversation you come crashing into. I for one am sick to death of your constant frothing at the mouth and poo flinging.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

We'd prefer if you replied, "I'm leaving, and I'm never coming back." You contribute absolutely nothing of substance to any conversation you come crashing into. I for one am sick to death of your constant frothing at the mouth and poo flinging.
I disagree

Bowielee

Bowielee

Charlie, you lost any and all claims moral high ground when you decided to make a joke out of the recent suicide attempt.

You know what? Fuck this. Congratulations Charlie, you're now officially the first person to ever go on my ignore list. I just can't deal with your horrible toxic bullshit.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

why does everyone feel the need to TELL EVERYONE in a grand proclamation that I'm going on their ignore list

just do it, I don't give a shit

Krisken

Krisken

Maybe because he wants to save you the trouble of replying to him in the future and being confused by the lack of replies?

It's not a grand proclamation, it's a courtesy "fuck off".

Covar

Covar

Yeah, what could Tinwhistler have been responding to? Wait a second I remember.

also re: the fappening... you ever wonder why there's no celeb dick pics leaked yet??? hum.....

PatrThom

PatrThom

why does everyone feel the need to TELL EVERYONE in a grand proclamation that I'm going on their ignore list
I suppose it's better than making a thread about it.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I ended up having to take him off anyway. Rather than having blank posts when he's quoted, there is nothing, so the last few posts didn't make any sense.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I ended up having to take him off anyway. Rather than having blank posts when he's quoted, there is nothing, so the last few posts didn't make any sense.
It's a small comfort to me to know that the people who put me on ignore are somewhat inconvenienced/confused by people responding to me.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Charlie has his good moments, where he manages to discuss a topic like this with a lot of drive and zeal, but somewhat civil and intelligently. He also has moments - like this one - where he goes completely off the rails and fails to realize why people may not like him;

Charlie, you're a nice enough guy in a lot of ways and I'm fairly sure your heart's in the right place. However, you are utterly blind to some of your own failings, and thereby often end up seriously damaging the cause you're championing. Right now? You're in another of your dickwad periods. Perhaps there's a good reason for this, but you'll have to look to your own personal life and other issues for that. Here and now, we can only conclude you're behaving like an utter cock, to people and about people who most certainly didn't do anything to deserve it. For example, joking about [heavy emotional stuff] in a condescending manner, in a place where the victim/howeveryouwanttocallit is quite likely to see it? Base, vile, unwarranted personal attack on a good guy with some issues who needs our help. You've relied on this forum in the past and asked support; it's a shame that you're too much of asshole and/or wrapped up in your own problems to see that this sort of thing goes both ways. Not to mention, you're the first in line of defense when anyone makes a joke about some other painful issues (such as sexual abuse, coming out as a homosexual, etc). People [facing this particular issue] and/or those struggling with substance abuse, however, don't rate your special personal defense - apparently, because [the victim in this case]'s a straight white guy with none of your personal hang-ups, it's ok to joke about him dying or insult him and make his problems into a joke. There's no other way of saying "dick move".
Just for your personal pleasure, all male genital insults, no female ones. Hope you're happy.

tegid

tegid

I agree with most of what Bubble said. One comment though: perhaps it's for the best to edit out all direct references to the actual joke and the situation it alluded to.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

He was called out on the joke. The reply was, "fuck you." I think that says all that needs be said. Nothing of value to be lost if ties were permanently cut.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Much as the guy irritates me, the "he never adds anything of value to any discussion" thing used to be said about me a whole lot around here, too.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Much as the guy irritates me, the "he never adds anything of value to any discussion" thing used to be said about me a whole lot around here, too.
Let me rephrase that, then, He has contributed less than nothing to most threads he has flung his poo at. The Welcome Back Bumble incident was just the most egregious example of late.

Espy

Espy

Let me rephrase that, then, He has contributed less than nothing to most threads he has flung his poo at. The Welcome Back Bumble incident was just the most egregious example of late.
Believe me, what you are saying is something other people have said about a lot of people here over the years. And trust me, a lot of you guys should be glad we don't ban people that others here find irritating or annoying or the place would just be @Bumble and @Gusto having a tea party with @Cajungal.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

But... I thought I was so vanilla that no one was irritated by me. :(

Anyways, back to the topic in a sort of weird way, I saw this video about the more recent scandal involving a Spider-Woman variant cover. I think it hit my opinions pretty well.

Now the cover is hideous if you ask me, those proportions, yuck, but almost every article on it is arguing more about the pose being sexualized rather then just really badly drawn. I am all for more respect between genders, but why does every argument have to shit all over the idea of sexuality?

Cajungal

Cajungal

What people don't want to follow our benign, cordial tea parties?

Mathias

Mathias

The only major thing I find weird about that cover is that she's sporting a major wedgie. It just looks off how far apart her buttcheeks are.

Mathias

Mathias

just do it, I don't give a shit
Just fuck off and go back to Tumblrland where you belong, Neutered Charlie.

Espy

Espy

I honestly, other than that one scientist who did that great "Lets break down the global warming debate into 4 sections video", hate EVERY SINGLE YOUTUBE OPINION VIDEO EVER. They all annoy me. It's always like watching shitty combinations of some dumb entertainment show and Fox News.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I like this artist's critique of how to fix that cover in such a way as to be both less sexualized and better drawn while maintaining the general idea.

http://www.themarysue.com/controversial-spider-woman-covers-redrawn/

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Anyways, back to the topic in a sort of weird way, I saw this video about the more recent scandal involving a Spider-Woman variant cover. I think it hit my opinions pretty well.

Now the cover is hideous if you ask me, those proportions, yuck, but almost every article on it is arguing more about the pose being sexualized rather then just really badly drawn. I am all for more respect between genders, but why does every argument have to shit all over the idea of sexuality?
I've never really read a lot of Spider-Woman, but that cover never struck me as odd or sexual because I've read a shit-ton of spider-man, and recognized it as the "spider-pose." Spider-man is drawn in that same pose in nearly every single comic he's in.

Mathias

Mathias

I like this artist's critique of how to fix that cover in such a way as to be both less sexualized and better drawn while maintaining the general idea.

Boom. This nails it! It's not as pronounced as a Liefeld drawing, but the weight placement is off, which makes it feel like an unnatural pose.

Maddox is right too - mountains out of molehills. I don't know where he's pulling his ~47% female readers stats though.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I don't really even think it's that sexualized, not any more then I would consider spider-man crawling on all fours with his legs spread eagle which is what he does almost all the time. Though the fixes are a huge technical improvement over the abomination of that original perspective. I think my biggest problem is that SJWs spend more time raging over crap like that badly drawn variant cover rather then actually trying to improve the issues women actually face.

I mean look at this...

We freak out about Spider-Woman, a fictional character, in a spider pose because she looks like she has ass cheeks, all the while magazines like this have Emma Watson straddling a seat in what appears to be a foam girdle or some shit and none of them seem to care unless it's the new hot button topic trend. This is something nearly every woman is going to see in the checkout area of a store, while the only people looking at the comic are going to be comic fans. I don't know, maybe I have a bias involving this, but I don't think sexuality in fantasy is a bad thing, because unlike all our photoshop celebrities, people understand it's not real and often exaggerated.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

One reason why the cover has gotten so much blog attention is because a lot of the prominent female commentators in comics have a (very understandably) negative view of Greg Land, because of how much of his drawings of female characters appears to be ripped-off traces of glamor photos and porn...and then Marvel just straight up hired a guy who draws porn to draw the cover, which he did in such a way as it looks like he traced his own porn. It was almost like they were trying to piss commentators off.[DOUBLEPOST=1409941999,1409941744][/DOUBLEPOST]
all the while magazines like this have Emma Watson straddling a seat in what appears to be a foam girdle or some shit and none of them seem to care unless it's the new hot button topic trend.
Dude, people on the internet freak out a lot about photoshop fashion magazine culture. All of the comic stuff and Hawkeye Initiative stuff and all that is from the internet subculture that grew up around critiquing those magazine covers.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Dude, people on the internet freak out a lot about photoshop fashion magazine culture. All of the comic stuff and Hawkeye Initiative stuff and all that is from the internet subculture that grew up around critiquing those magazine covers.
Fair enough, but I don't see that coming up as much these days. I even frequent tumblr a lot more then I should, and things like this always seem to be the new hot button issues involving sexualized imagery, rather then anything involving the culture of magazine images, celebrity, etc... It's just getting to me a bit more because I am a very sexual person, who understands the difference between fantasy and reality, and I just feel like some SJWs will never be happy until every female hero is walking around in a burqa. Any focus on the females chest in any way seems to become "flaunting her tits".

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I just feel like some SJWs will never be happy until every female hero is walking around in a burqa. Any focus on the females chest in any way seems to become "flaunting her tits".
While there is some like that, there's also a lot of folks out there who are simply trying to make the point (as themarysue folks did with that cover) that there is a difference between "sexy" and "sexualized".

Frank

Frank

Man, if you think the Manara variant cover is badly drawn, don't look at the Greg Land monstrosity that is the normal cover.

Espy

Espy

You know what I've noticed here and other places, is that people seem to be using the fringes of movements as the barometric for the discussion of it (which is what a lot of this conversation feels like). I cant imagine how healthy it would be for people to get off tumblr and youtube more. It's not always the *ideal* place to learn about things or have conversations.

drifter

drifter

I even frequent tumblr a lot more then I should, and things like this always seem to be the new hot button issues involving sexualized imagery, rather then anything involving the culture of magazine images, celebrity, etc...
I'm guessing that has to do with the Tumblr demographic, which seems to skew young. They're gonna care more about comic books and vidjer games than whatever supermarket rag their parents read.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know what I've noticed here and other places, is that people seem to be using the fringes of movements as the barometric for the discussion of it (which is what a lot of this conversation feels like). I cant imagine how healthy it would be for people to get off tumblr and youtube more. It's not always the *ideal* place to learn about things or have conversations.
I consider this to be a conversational atmosphere fostered by media in general - quiet discussion doesn't sell, froth and vitriol does. And how much of that do we have to be inundated with before we consider it the standard for discourse?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm guessing that has to do with the Tumblr demographic, which seems to skew young. They're gonna care more about comic books and vidjer games than whatever supermarket rag their parents read.
Another fair point. My overall feed of information usually skews on the younger side of things, plus heavy into pop culture, so I am likely going to notice the discussions a lot more. I guess I just want a world in which I can enjoy the female form for being beautiful and sexy without it always turning into a argument about exploitation.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Fair enough, but I don't see that coming up as much these days. I even frequent tumblr a lot more then I should, and things like this always seem to be the new hot button issues involving sexualized imagery, rather then anything involving the culture of magazine images, celebrity, etc... It's just getting to me a bit more because I am a very sexual person, who understands the difference between fantasy and reality, and I just feel like some SJWs will never be happy until every female hero is walking around in a burqa. Any focus on the females chest in any way seems to become "flaunting her tits".
There are entire doctorate courses built around feminine oversexualization in all forms of media. You probably won't see them on you tube or tumblr though, because they're busy doing actual research to help enact social justice rather than ineffectually bitching about it on social media.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the ironic thing is that literally the only thing I've ever used tumblr for is to objectify women

Necronic

Necronic

Tumblr is fucking great for porn.

I feel this is an appropriate thread to talk about what I enjoy in porn.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's little in this world I fear so much as anyone else learning what tags I've searched for on rule34.xxx and paheal.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's little in this world I fear so much as anyone else learning what tags I've searched for on rule34.xxx and paheal.

Krisken

Krisken

Believe me, what you are saying is something other people have said about a lot of people here over the years. And trust me, a lot of you guys should be glad we don't ban people that others here find irritating or annoying or the place would just be @Bumble and @Gusto having a tea party with @Cajungal.
Everyone has their douche moments, for sure. Plus, the rivalries which just can't seem to be resolved or ignored.

Seriously, @DarkAudit, you have to be careful. We're all living in glass houses on this one.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I worked developing film for Kodak for almost 3-1/2 years. The Internet holds few surprises for me.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Tumblr is fucking great for porn. I feel this is an appropriate thread to talk about what I enjoy in porn.
Yes. It is. Yup.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh. I don't really see the "sexualised" problem (with this cover specifically - I do agree in general principle). Frankly, the "adjusted" version of that site is a lot sexier than the original, in my opinion. The problem simply seems to be that DC and Marvel hire comic artists who can't properly draw. It skews more negatively for females, especially in tight costumes (normal clothes tend to be ok :p); I'm guessing because there are still less of them. But things like this, or Liefeld, aren't about "oh god the women are just wrong", they just aren't good at drawing basic anatomy. I don't know about you, but in general, bodies and poses that are, you know, theoretically possible hold an edge.[DOUBLEPOST=1409978625,1409978296][/DOUBLEPOST]
perhaps it's for the best to edit out all direct references to the actual joke and the situation it alluded to.
Well, yes, yes it is.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Eh. I don't really see the "sexualised" problem (with this cover specifically - I do agree in general principle). Frankly, the "adjusted" version of that site is a lot sexier than the original, in my opinion. The problem simply seems to be that DC and Marvel hire comic artists who can't properly draw. It skews more negatively for females, especially in tight costumes (normal clothes tend to be ok :p); I'm guessing because there are still less of them. But things like this, or Liefeld, aren't about "oh god the women are just wrong", they just aren't good at drawing basic anatomy. I don't know about you, but in general, bodies and poses that are, you know, theoretically possible hold an edge.
Escher Girls is an excellent site for exposing the "(body part) doesn't work that way" of comic art.

fade

fade

To be fair, comics are all about pushing anatomy, and Spider-MAN is a good example of a comic that is always full of impossible human contortions. Most of his spider-agility moves are fairly impossible, too. But they look possible. That Spider-Woman cover looks possible, too (except for the impossibly tight costume). The thing that stands out, as the Mary Sue pointed out, is that it's not quite the usual spider pose. It's adjusted so that she's "presenting". Spidey gets on all fours, but he doesn't stick his phanton vagina upwards.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

To be fair, comics are all about pushing anatomy, and Spider-MAN is a good example of a comic that is always full of impossible human contortions. Most of his spider-agility moves are fairly impossible, too. But they look possible. That Spider-Woman cover looks possible, too (except for the impossibly tight costume). The thing that stands out, as the Mary Sue pointed out, is that it's not quite the usual spider pose. It's adjusted so that she's "presenting". Spidey gets on all fours, but he doesn't stick his phanton vagina upwards.
He does tend to leap crotch-first, though.

If I were to critique the Spider-Woman cover (which I don't like, but not because I think it's pointlessly sexual, but rather I just don't like the art) it would be to ask wtf is wrong with her face.

Covar

Covar

Man it's like they got a porn erotic artist to draw the thing.

Bubble181

Bubble181

He does tend to leap crotch-first, though.

If I were to critique the Spider-Woman cover (which I don't like, but not because I think it's pointlessly sexual, but rather I just don't like the art) it would be to ask wtf is wrong with her face.
Hmm, now I'm imagining Spiderwoman in that pose,and I'm thinking "chest out! Crotch wide open! Pure sexploitation".

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

pretty much everything this.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hmm, now I'm imagining Spiderwoman in that pose,and I'm thinking "chest out! Crotch wide open! Pure sexploitation".
solfug.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

You guys remember that one scene in Arachnophobia?

figmentPez

figmentPez

The thing that stands out, as the Mary Sue pointed out, is that it's not quite the usual spider pose. It's adjusted so that she's "presenting". Spidey gets on all fours, but he doesn't stick his phanton vagina upwards.
Yeah, Spidey has been in a very similar pose on a lot of covers, complete with bad anatomy, but he keeps his butt down, he looks more spider-like:

Ultimate Spider-Man 3-2.jpg

The anatomy here is pretty messed-up, but his butt is flat with the rest of his body and his knees. He's a crouched spider.

PatrThom

PatrThom

No. 'Cuz I haven't seen it.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

I do now, thankyouverymuch.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No. 'Cuz I haven't seen it.

--Patrick
Man, I saw it as a kid. They marketed it as a comedy. IT WAS NOT A COMEDY.

Bowielee

Bowielee

To counter this, notice how Spider-Man is absolutely anatomically incorrect in that he appears to have no penis. Apparently when men become superheroes, they get their junk chopped off. On the other hand, how often do you see very pronounced nipples and even camel toes on women in comics? Way more often than you'll see an outline or even hint of a dong, I'll bet.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Lots of superheroes have codpieces. Not all female superheroes sport cameltoes.
Codpiece =/= ken doll. Even a codpiece bulges a bit. But seeing as they're portraying male superheroes for power fantasy, not sexual attraction, you'll rarely see anything other than the ken doll crotch.

I never claimed that all female superheroes have cameltoes, I said that you're far more likely to see that than you would the outline of a dick, or even a codpiece. If we're going to desexualize the men, we should desexualize the women too. which many artists do. Many artists show women's breasts more like barbie dolls. But quite often, artists go out of their way to show nipple bulge. Also note that men rarely have nipple bulges either, despite men having nipples as well.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Man, I saw it as a kid. They marketed it as a comedy. IT WAS NOT A COMEDY.
I remember that the spider delivered the envelopes at the Oscars*, though. They lowered it down on a web from the rafters to the presenter's podium.

--Patrick
*It might've been another awards show, but I'm guessing it was the Oscars.
(also, I'm waiting for someone to "get" my picture, above)

Dei

Dei

GasBandit said:
I also saw that movie way too young, though not as young as you if you saw it when it came out.

IT HAD A COMEDY ACTOR IN IT! It is clearly a comedy!

"Her" is classified as a comedy through Redbox. Still no one knows what that category means.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, I guess I wasn't as young as I thought I was at the time, it came out in 1990 so I was 11. Still seemed a bit much in some parts.

Terrik

Terrik

:minionshout:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not scared of spiders, but that movie was in no way a comedy. I cannot remember one funny thing aside from the exterminator, and the basement climax is pretty intense even by today's standards.

Yet even when played on TV, the TV spots would have silly music playing to advertise the movie being on that channel later in the evening. WTF?!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that Arachnophobia was WAY mismarketed.

Man... screw that movie. I had panic attacks going to the bathroom for weeks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Perhaps the comedy was for the advertisers, laughing at people who went to the wrong kind of movie.

The bastards.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Bit late to the discussion on Spider-Man's sexy poses, but I offer you The Oatmeal's take on it:

Bowielee

Bowielee

One point that I think is lost a lot is how different sexualizations of men and women are, based on what is attractive to either gender.

http://joephillips.com/

This guy has drawings that sexualize both female and male comic book characters, but you'll notice that the men are sexualized in different ways than their female counterparts. Where emphasis on the female characters is on sticking out their butts and boobs, the male characters are sexualized in a more subtle way (them mostly being shirtless aside). They are sexualized through their pose being relaxed and open and their gaze being inviting. This is what sexually attracts women, for the most part. Men who appear sensitive, but still manly. You have to admit that most male characters in comics are not drawn this way. They aren't supposed to be sexually appealing, they're ripped not for looks, but because that's part of the male power fantasy, which caters to the same base that the booby, butty girls are.

There are some male characters who have been sexually objectified on comics. Nightwing comes to mind. They love to show some Dick Greyson ass shots for whatever reason. They are the minority, though, and not generally the rule. This is where the inequality comes in.

I can't even say if it's right or it's wrong, just that it is. I'm not a fan of objectifying either gender, but to simply ignore their existence or to cry any sort of matriarchy because you don't want to believe that women are more sexualized than men is disingenuous at best, willfully ignorant at worst.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

the place would just be @Bumble and @Gusto having a tea party with @Cajungal.
I see nothing wrong with this

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I see nothing wrong with this
Can I be invited? I'll try not to tell anyone to fuck off...

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Can I be invited? I'll try not to tell anyone to fuck off...
I'll bring it up at the next meeting and put in a good word

Cajungal

Cajungal

New guy brings the finger sandwiches and cookies.

blotsfan

blotsfan

But its the woman's job to make sandwiches and bake! :p

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

But its the woman's job to make sandwiches and bake! :p
This is why you aren't invited to the tea party's @blotsfan

figmentPez

figmentPez

Could I bring mini-kolaches and "lemon brownies" instead?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is why you aren't invited to the tea party's @blotsfan
The tea party has its own @blotsfan?

Celt Z

Celt Z

...Not invited?! Well, I'm going to make my own tea party, with blackjack! And hookers!
In fact, forget the tea!

(But not the cannoli. Always take the cannoli.)

mikerc

mikerc

...Not invited?! Well, I'm going to make my own tea party, with blackjack! And hookers!
In fact, forget the tea!

(But not the cannoli. Always take the cannoli.)
Great party @Celt Z I mean yeah I lost all my clothes playing strip blackjack with @Bowielee & I think I caught a STD off of 1 of the hookers, but apart from that it's been much better than @Bumble's. I'm feeling a bit parched though, where's the tea? There's no tea? THERE'S NO TEA?! Screw you guys I'm going home!

Worst! Party! Ever!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Psssh. More cannoli for the rest of us. :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

if you had a guy leave, wouldn't it be less cannoli?
:rimshot:

PatrThom

PatrThom

if you had a guy leave, wouldn't it be less cannoli?
:rimshot:
It would be more can'toli.

--Patrick

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

You guys make it so fucking hard to find when you're talking about me by only tagging it as @bumble

Bowielee

Bowielee

You guys make it so fucking hard to find when you're talking about me by only tagging it as @bumble
Quit having the longest name ever ;)

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Quit having the longest name ever ;)
I worked hard for that achievement, damnit!

GasBandit

GasBandit

And there's no excuse because it tries to autocomplete @Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, but you still have to type the whole thing out.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, but you still have to type the whole thing out.
No I didn't. Maybe it's different on tapatalk? But on chrome or firefox on my PC soon as I start typing @-b-o-w it brings up a @Bowielee I can just click.

Bowielee

Bowielee

@GasBandit
No I didn't. Maybe it's different on tapatalk? But on chrome or firefox on my PC soon as I start typing @-b-o-w it brings up a @Bowielee I can just click.
Huh... that must be updated. It always used to have to still type it out.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Because men are expected to show their happiness in ways other than smiling.

As someone who has been chewed out for not having the proper amount of enthusiasm in his voice when responding to a friend announcing his engagement, I can say with certainty that men do get told to appear happy. Just because walking around with a smile isn't part of the standard for men, does not mean that we aren't expected to put on a front for the world, or that we don't get called out for failing to put on a socially acceptable mask. Asking women to smile is actually very similar to telling men to not cry. We expect both genders to fit certain expectations for appearance. Smiling is one for women, looking "strong" is one for men.

It is a problem that so many feel that they have the right to tell strangers, or even friends, what type of emotion that they should show at any given time, but that doesn't change the fact that it is often "normal" and done with good intentions. It's a social system that has been built up over time until it has reached the point of being a problem, but that doesn't change that people doing it are not necessarily aware that there's anything wrong with their request, because it is perfectly "normal" within their experience to expect people to fulfill the roles within society, even if those roles are ill-fitting.

For fucks sake. Pay attention in a Sociology class, people.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

but that doesn't change that people doing it are not necessarily aware that there's anything wrong with their request, because it is perfectly "normal" within their experience to expect people to fulfill the roles within society, even if those roles are ill-fitting.
You can write off a host of behavioral problems with the excuse that the person isn't aware they're doing anything wrong.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You can write off a host of behavioral problems with the excuse that the person isn't aware they're doing anything wrong.
True, but I wasn't writing it off. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" as the old saying goes. I point out the difference not to excuse the behavior, but to try to inform efforts at changing the behavior.

Consider the urban myth of "shake it like a Polaroid picture". I know that I, like most people, saw others flapping Polaroid prints around as they "dried", and thought that sped up the development. In reality, it did no such thing, and potentially blurred or otherwise harmed the resulting photo. Can you imagine how stupid it would be for Polaroid to try and correct that behavior by telling people that they were trying to destroy their own, just taken, photos with that shaking? People would stop listening the moment the Polaroid company said something false, and fairly insulting, about their motivation. Instead, Polaroid acknowledged that people loved their product, and wanted to see the photos as fast as possible, but also tried to inform people that the best way to get beautiful, quick, photos, was leave a print alone until it was ready.

See the parallel? Flapping a Polaroid picture around while it's developing has a real chance at blurring the photo, or causing other artifacts to crop up in development process (in fact, there are some interesting effects you can get by intentionally pressing on parts of the image), but most people did it with the good intention of getting to see their photos faster. Telling women to smile also has real potential to cause distress and other negative effects, but it's hard to say what motivates any given person, and it may well be done with the best of intentions. Neither shaking a Polaroid, nor telling a woman to smile, is a good way to get what's desired, but vilifying the motivation behind the act does nothing to help change the behavior.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Because men are expected to show their happiness in ways other than smiling.

As someone who has been chewed out for not having the proper amount of enthusiasm in his voice when responding to a friend announcing his engagement, I can say with certainty that men do get told to appear happy. Just because walking around with a smile isn't part of the standard for men, does not mean that we aren't expected to put on a front for the world, or that we don't get called out for failing to put on a socially acceptable mask. Asking women to smile is actually very similar to telling men to not cry. We expect both genders to fit certain expectations for appearance. Smiling is one for women, looking "strong" is one for men.

It is a problem that so many feel that they have the right to tell strangers, or even friends, what type of emotion that they should show at any given time, but that doesn't change the fact that it is often "normal" and done with good intentions. It's a social system that has been built up over time until it has reached the point of being a problem, but that doesn't change that people doing it are not necessarily aware that there's anything wrong with their request, because it is perfectly "normal" within their experience to expect people to fulfill the roles within society, even if those roles are ill-fitting.

For fucks sake. Pay attention in a Sociology class, people.
you do know that this is in reaction to the walking down the street video, right?

Are you saying that men are harassed to show their happiness by strangers on the street?

Cajungal

Cajungal

you do know that this is in reaction to the walking down the street video, right?

Are you saying that men are harassed to show their happiness by strangers on the street?
Hey, man! Square your shoulders and brood!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Actually, experienced the opposite.

"The F%#% you so happy about?"
I'm just expected to scowl all the time because ALPHAMALE. RORR.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hey, man! Square your shoulders and brood!
Yeah, why don't you look more stoic, baby?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, that's because men aren't supposed to show their happiness, at least not without reason.* Men are generally discouraged from showing much emotion at all. If a man walks down the street with a neutral expression, he's fitting in the socially expected role. However, I have had people tell me to cheer up if I was looking too depressed. Though, admittedly, that happened when I was younger, and still was (or looked like) a child.

*and when there is reason, they are expected to. I bet if a man walked down a line of tailgaters, or around a stadium after a win, and wasn't acting boisterous, he would have people telling him to celebrate. Because in that type of situation, the social expectation switches so that men are expected to be outwardly showing their excitement, and support of their team. Anyone who isn't is either ruining the mood, or must be a supporter of a rival, and will quite possibly get called out on it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

True, but I wasn't writing it off. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" as the old saying goes. I point out the difference not to excuse the behavior, but to try to inform efforts at changing the behavior.

Consider the urban myth of "shake it like a Polaroid picture". I know that I, like most people, saw others flapping Polaroid prints around as they "dried", and thought that sped up the development. In reality, it did no such thing, and potentially blurred or otherwise harmed the resulting photo. Can you imagine how stupid it would be for Polaroid to try and correct that behavior by telling people that they were trying to destroy their own, just taken, photos with that shaking? People would stop listening the moment the Polaroid company said something false, and fairly insulting, about their motivation. Instead, Polaroid acknowledged that people loved their product, and wanted to see the photos as fast as possible, but also tried to inform people that the best way to get beautiful, quick, photos, was leave a print alone until it was ready.

See the parallel? Flapping a Polaroid picture around while it's developing has a real chance at blurring the photo, or causing other artifacts to crop up in development process (in fact, there are some interesting effects you can get by intentionally pressing on parts of the image), but most people did it with the good intention of getting to see their photos faster. Telling women to smile also has real potential to cause distress and other negative effects, but it's hard to say what motivates any given person, and it may well be done with the best of intentions. Neither shaking a Polaroid, nor telling a woman to smile, is a good way to get what's desired, but vilifying the motivation behind the act does nothing to help change the behavior.
I see what you mean, and taken out of exact context this makes sense. However, the example the tweet refers to is some guy calling to a woman walking by with the words of "Hey baby, how about a smile?" Smiling more can actually be beneficial, but that's not what's going on in that context. It's so that a smile is given to him, a gift to him, if you will, i.e. a less crass "show us your tits." That's a motivation we can condemn without ambiguity.

Actually, experienced the opposite.

"The F%#% you so happy about?"
I'm just expected to scowl all the time because ALPHAMALE. RORR.
I've gotten this too. I said "because I'm not you." As an adult now I would've ignored the person and moved on, but I was 19 and stupid.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I see what you mean, and taken out of exact context this makes sense. However, the example the tweet refers to is some guy calling to a woman walking by with the words of "Hey baby, how about a smile?" Smiling more can actually be beneficial, but that's not what's going on in that context. It's so that a smile is given to him, a gift to him, if you will, i.e. a less crass "show us your tits." That's a motivation we can condemn without ambiguity.
Is that the exact context? Because I've heard a lot of women complaining about being told to smile, and while sometimes it is as crass as you quote, other times it's just a general statement of "you should smile", nothing necessarily personal about it. Sometimes it's easy to see motivation, other times it's not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Let me tell you guys, there's a lady I want to tell to smile at work ALL the time. She has got the worst case of bitchy resting face I've ever seen.

I've honestly avoided her as much as I can because I can't figure out if she's really a condescending ass or if it's just her resting face, and I have no wish to pursue the issue and cause workplace drama.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Is that the exact context? Because I've heard a lot of women complaining about being told to smile, and while sometimes it is as crass as you quote, other times it's just a general statement of "you should smile", nothing necessarily personal about it. Sometimes it's easy to see motivation, other times it's not.
In this instance for the video that tweet is responding to, yes.

But I know the other thing you're talking about, and that's really not sexual harassment, I don't know if it's even harassment because as I said in Gasbandit's political thread, I think "being spoken to when you don't want to be spoken to" is too broad a definition for harassment. I think it's people can't mind their own business. "You should smile" may have the best intentions, but it's in the same busybody time of crap as telling people what they should do with their clothes, their hair, their lifestyle, their families, etc. Yeah, sometimes that's fine from friends and family, but people have a habit of just butting in on others where they have no place. I forgot which thread it was in, but Wasabi and Dei were talking about people who feel obligated to spew bullshit parenting advice at anyone they see holding a baby or young child. I don't blame those who end up at the opposite end of the politeness spectrum and just start telling people to fuck off.

I hope that made sense.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Context is king.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Context is non-gender specific primary leader of a monarchy.
Fixed.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't really like the term "resting bitch face"

also again asking @figmentPez to maybe take a step back or think or something? You're hilariously off-base. Why compare "Smile more" to "don't cry"? They're both wrong. One isn't "more wrong" than the other, but one sure as hell is more prevalent and more damaging/hurtful.

also "you should smile more" is really problematic even if it's super polite. In fact, it almost always is super polite and often from old dudes. It feels kind of silly to explain why it's more of an issue than a random guy asking you "what time is it?" or directions or saying "pretty weather we're having lately", etc.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't really like the term "resting bitch face"
And I don't like this zit I just got on the outside of my elbow this weekend from eating all the candy that trick or treaters didn't come get, but I guess we both just get to deal with some facts of life.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And I don't like this zit I just got on the outside of my elbow this weekend from eating all the candy that trick or treaters didn't come get, but I guess we both just get to deal with some facts of life.
I refuse to consider it a "fact of life" that being demeaned by other people's language is the default

also don't you see the irony that your situation has a cause and effect, and the other one is just from being a woman?

figmentPez

figmentPez

also again asking @figmentPez to maybe take a step back or think or something? You're hilariously off-base. Why compare "Smile more" to "don't cry"? They're both wrong. One isn't "more wrong" than the other, but one sure as hell is more prevalent and more damaging/hurtful.
They seem equally prevalent to me, if we're talking about the messages from society as a whole, and not talking about specific literal instances where people say those exact words. Both are equally damaging and hurtful. Telling women that they should generally appear smiling and happy as they go about everyday life, is just as harmful as telling men that they should generally refrain from showing emotion.

also "you should smile more" is really problematic even if it's super polite. In fact, it almost always is super polite and often from old dudes. It feels kind of silly to explain why it's more of an issue than a random guy asking you "what time is it?" or directions or saying "pretty weather we're having lately", etc.
Yes, it is problematic. I said that. Multiple times. My analogy to Polaroid film was centered around the idea that it's well-intentioned harm.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I refuse to consider it a "fact of life" that being demeaned by other people's language is the default
Don't deal with people much, do ya.

Tress

Tress

As a guy, I have had random women cone up to me and tell me to smile more. It really is obnoxious. It's only happened twice in my life, so I can see how annoying/invasive/obnoxious it would feel if it happened 100x more in my life.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It really comes down to intention and how it's presented. The problem with "You should smile more" is that it's more of a demand then anything. No one should "demand" that another person feel a certain way or present themselves a certain way, more so when that person is just a random guy/girl on the street. It's a selfish comment.

However, I don't think those guys that said "Have a nice day." were harassing anyone. I think that is a stretch.

Tress

Tress

Also, in college one of my professors was young and very attractive. She worked hard, knew what she was talking about, and I took her as seriously as I would take any other professor. Other guys in my class did not, and it was disgusting. It all came to a head when, after a test, one of the biggest assholes in my class turned in his paper with a sticky note attached. Care to guess what it said?

"You should smile more, you look pretty."

He said that. To his no-nonsense, not-in-the-mood professor.

The dipshit did not understand why she reported him and he got in a ton of trouble. In his mind he genuinely didn't think he did anything wrong. And that's the root of the problem.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Unsolicited comments from stranger men is the worst. Even compliments. If you don't respond or acknowledge the comment they start thinking you're a bitch or gay or whatever. If you respond, though, its worst because they think thats an invitation to touch you or continue the conversation.

It's obnoxious and certainly isn't done with a woman's interest in mind. They just feel entitled to female attention and respond poorly when their demands for a smile or their 'well meaning' compliment isn't received.

Really, it's so hard ot explain to dudes because most dudes love it when girls compliment them out of the blue!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

There's an element of the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" when someone asserts their comment is well-meaning. All it really says is, "I didn't consider the other person's feelings, and they should be mind-readers."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

However, I don't think those guys that said "Have a nice day." were harassing anyone. I think that is a stretch.
Unless you're that old guy who hands out cards explaining to people why they should say "I hope you have a nice day" instead of "have a nice day." I wish I was making that up.

Unsolicited comments from stranger men is the worst. Even compliments. If you don't respond or acknowledge the comment they start thinking you're a bitch or gay or whatever. If you respond, though, its worst because they think thats an invitation to touch you or continue the conversation.

It's obnoxious and certainly isn't done with a woman's interest in mind. They just feel entitled to female attention and respond poorly when their demands for a smile or their 'well meaning' compliment isn't received.

Really, it's so hard ot explain to dudes because most dudes love it when girls compliment them out of the blue!
This is why the few times I've complimented a woman I didn't know, usually her hat or if her hair is colored purple or something, I've done it as I was leaving the area/transit so there was no pressure. (Hell, the only pressure in one instance was my friend with me; she insisted that the other woman would like to hear I thought her hat was cool.)

But these days I just don't anymore. There's really no telling if such a comment is going to be felt as an intrusion or make their day, and I'd rather not contribute to the already negative experience it is to use public transportation as a woman.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/02/n...banned-from-chatting-up-white-feminist-women/

Now, The New York Times wants to know if a law should shield white feminist women by preventing black and Hispanic men from speaking to them, and possibly offending their tender sensibilities.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Talk about missing the point.

There is different between being yelled at to "smile baby!" while walking down the street and someone coming up to you in a cafe or at the mall and saying "Hi. I just wanted you to know that I LOVE your hair. Have a nice day!"

One is a demand made upon a woman because the man feels like they should be happy little puppets, especially now that He has entered the equation. The other is a polite compliment that makes no demands on the woman and leave the response up to her.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Talk about missing the point.

There is different between being yelled at to "smile baby!" while walking down the street and someone coming up to you in a cafe or at the mall and saying "Hi. I just wanted you to know that I LOVE your hair. Have a nice day!"

One is a demand made upon a woman because the man feels like they should be happy little puppets, especially now that He has entered the equation. The other is a polite compliment that makes no demands on the woman and leave the response up to her.
But Tumblr doesn't make it seem like there's a difference and for an already anxious person like me, it's been made to seem like it's better to say nothing at all to anyone ever.

I think you make a good point though, and the reason there's an issue is because at question, do men have the restraint to say "nice pants" without adding "they'd look nicer on my floor"?*

*funny enough, the first time I heard that line was from one girl to another--they were dating a week later.

LittleSin

LittleSin

But Tumblr doesn't make it seem like there's a difference and for an already anxious person like me, it's been made to seem like it's better to say nothing at all to anyone ever.

I think you make a good point though, and the reason there's an issue is because at question, do men have the restraint to say "nice pants" without adding "they'd look nicer on my floor"?*

*funny enough, the first time I heard that line was from one girl to another--they were dating a week later.
Tumblr is a good place to learn that a social issue may exist but it's not a great place to determine what is actually acceptable because they tend to...insulate and reassure themselves they are right. I know some on tumblr would be like "SCUM!" but I think most tumblr feminists would agree that there is a stark difference between street harassment and a genuine compliment.

I find the really nutter SJW's on tumblr to be people in their mid teens to very early twenties who have no concept of the real world yet and are just trying to find a 'look at me' niche.

Mathias

Mathias

In rural settings I smile and say hello to everyone I pass. In urban settings - nope!

Terrik

Terrik

I just pretend Tumblr doesn't even exist.

Celt Z

Celt Z

In any setting (urban or otherwise), I find it a good rule of thumb that if someone is making eye contact, it's okay to smile, nod, say "Hi"; a small acknowledgment isn't out of the question. However, if the person isn't making eye contact or their body language is projecting that are in their own train of thought, it is rude and, depending on how you do it, possibly harassing to make them acknowledge you. The exception to this being if you know the person or if they are about to injure you or themselves (like walking into traffic). I think this applies to either gender.[DOUBLEPOST=1415105567,1415105467][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just pretend Tumblr doesn't even exist.
I've never actually used Tumblr. I don't think I'm missing much.

Covar

Covar

I've never actually used Tumblr. I don't think I'm missing much.

Krisken

Krisken

I have had no problem with Tumblr. I don't know who you people are following to be bombarded with wackadoos.[DOUBLEPOST=1415107381,1415106925][/DOUBLEPOST]
Jessica Williams Twitter.jpg
Jessica Williams Twitter 2.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

I live in Texas, and not in Austin or Houston or the DFW Metroplex. Therefore, almost everybody I pass greets me and I greet them. We even wave at each other while driving, regardless if we know who it is or not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Does this go here?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Late to the party, but...

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I tell everyone with hair color that's purple pink blue etc that it's awesome and then I ask for a high five...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I tell everyone with hair color that's purple pink blue etc that it's awesome and then I ask for a high five...
I was going to make some sort of joke about how you'd have a calloused hand if you worked at a junior high, but it just sounds like I'm calling you a ephebophile.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I saw this pass my facebook feed and thought is belonged here.

a_757_20140809125637.jpg

a_757_20140809125541.jpg

a_757_20140809125547.jpg

Terrik

Terrik

Is that unnaturally small or is it just me?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Damn! It is!

It's big on my computer!

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's big on my computer!

--Patrick

LittleSin

LittleSin

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's literally what I posted in the OP

PatrThom

PatrThom

"That's what she said."
I thought it was obvious.

--Patrick

LittleSin

LittleSin

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's literally what I posted in the OP
Really? I sorta skipped to the last few pages because I figured the direction of conversation would have changed since the beginning!

Sorry![DOUBLEPOST=1415239520,1415239473][/DOUBLEPOST]
"That's what she said."
I thought it was obvious.

--Patrick
I thought it might have been but, at the same time, I did not want to accuse you of being dirty minded. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

I did not want to accuse you of being dirty minded. :p
Worry not. I feel confident in saying I'm one of the dirtiest-minded people on this board. I try to allow my mind the freedom to roam wherever it might want to go. The benefits are amazing.
However, I treat that realm like its own pocket dimension with its own rules: Since there is no guarantee that what is permitted in that dimension will be appropriate in this one (and often isn't!), I maintain their disconnect.
The devil who sits on my shoulder comes up with some absolutely astounding ideas (ideas I wouldn't hear if I was always automatically squelching him), but of course it's entirely up to me whether any of them get implemented, and I'm just as certain as before that I'm one of the most ethical people on this board, too.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Writer and comedian Elon James White had a simple question in response to the Walking in NYC as a Woman video: What if dudes started greeting each other that way? I mean, it's not weird or sexual if dudes do that with one another like they do to women, right? Thus, #DudesGreetingDudes was born.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The experiment was repeated in New Zealand, to see how it was different.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Manchester police set up this:

Good going, UK. You're ahead of us on gay marriage, but on this stuff, you're right down in the pits with us.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Manchester police set up this:

Good going, UK. You're ahead of us on gay marriage, but on this stuff, you're right down in the pits with us.
If it weren't for the visible thong, I would have thought that was a theft prevention poster.* Keeping your iPod and wallet poking out of your purse like that is a pretty foolish thing to do if you're walking through a crowd.

*According to Greater Manchester Police, it is a theft prevention poster:
Greater Manchester Police responded to this controversy with a statement to The Mancunion. “This poster was produced in 2007 by GMP as part of a campaign to tackle robberies being committed against students.
“It has nothing to do with a publicity campaign on rape. The strapline ‘Keep your assets out of sight’ was simply a reminder to students not to flaunt valuables such as mobile phones, iPods and cameras.
“The poster is no longer printed or distributed, and it is seven years since they were last sent out. The artwork was approved by the head of PR at the time, and this particular style was chosen as it was thought it would appeal to students and get their attention. It is worth noting that we received no negative feedback at the time these were produced.”
It's a poster from seven years ago.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If it weren't for the visible thong, I would have thought that was a theft prevention poster.* Keeping your iPod and wallet poking out of your purse like that is a pretty foolish thing to do if you're walking through a crowd.

*According to Greater Manchester Police, it is a theft prevention poster:

It's a poster from seven years ago.
The thong is what made me jump. Thanks for fact checking.

PatrThom

PatrThom

With all that equipment visible, I thought it was a theft prevention poster, too.
People always talk about how having those distinctive white earbuds advertises to the world I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE DEVICE PLEASE ROB ME.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

With all that equipment visible, I thought it was a theft prevention poster, too.
People always talk about how having those distinctive white earbuds advertises to the world I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE DEVICE PLEASE ROB ME.

--Patrick
That's funny, because I would give those away since they came free with so many things (including real headphones). My little cousins used to attach them to $25 iPod Shuffles.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

That's funny. I think every one of my wives has told me that taking out the trash is a "man's job" ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's funny. I think everyone one of my wives has told me that taking out the trash is a "man's job" ;)
How did that Cyanide and Happiness comic go?

"Why don't you be a big strong man and move my couch?"
"Why don't YOU be a small, weak woman and suck my dick? As long as we're all being sexist?"

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd go on a tirade about how one image is one of power that people would aspire to and the other is a whore, but you've all heard it before.

Dave

Dave

GasBandit

GasBandit

I know I certainly always aspired as a young lad to be the powerful man who performs menial physical labor.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We can land a spacecraft on a comet, but a man's shirt has become the big news story here on Earth.

Physicist Matt Taylor was criticized this week for wearing a shirt with scantily-clad women and guns on it during a livestreamed post-landing interview about the Rosetta Mission, deemed sexist and innaporpriate by many people, particularly women in science. And critiques on Twitter voiced their complaints with #ShirtStorm and #ShirtGate.

But in a Google Hangout Friday with updates on the mission, a teary-eyed Taylor in a very neutral blue hoodie, apologized for the shirt.
"I made a big mistake, and I offended many people," he said. "And I'm very sorry about this."​

Meanwhile on said comet, the Philae lander sent back its first image from the comet Thursday, and it has begun drilling in order to reposition itself into the sunlight. But this maneuver could also make Philae do a cartwheel and possible put an abrupt end to the mission.

GB's take - I want that shirt. I had a shirt like that, but it wasn't nearly that awesome. This is an awesome shirt.

Terrik

Terrik

All that over a shirt. How thin-skinned people have become.

Dave

Dave

I didn't notice the shirt until it was pointed out and I watched the interview.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I didn't notice the shirt until it was pointed out and I watched the interview.
In the mind of the people having the uproar over the shirt, you are part of the problem.

tegid

tegid

I don't see that... The problem would be to not see the sexism in an image, not not noticing the image itself

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't see that... The problem would be to not see the sexism in an image, not not noticing the image itself
OMG Check your privilege, shitlord!

Bowielee

Bowielee

A man wears a shirt someone close to him made as a gift to a PR thing, and the shirt depicts scantily clad women (with guns). <-- SEXISM

Celebrities are wearing less and less in front cover non-adult magazines to "throw off the shackles society places on our bodies". <-- ANTI-SEXISM

So, as we can see, this is a case where a marginalized group can engage in something that empowers them, but if that is engaged by those outside the group it demeans them.

See also: Yankee doodle, the n word, etc.
This is the falsest of false equivalencies.

The guy is a professional at a professional conference. See the later discussion about professionalism when dealing with people at conferences.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The first thing I noticed about all these ESA guys is they all seem to have huge sleeve tattoos.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Celebrities are wearing less and less in front cover non-adult magazines to "throw off the shackles society places on our bodies". <-- ANTI-SEXISM
You may have said that in jest, but gaze upon this and try to remember that this is not a porn magazine.

rs_634x862-141008083731-634.Sofia-Vergara-Shape-magazine.jl.100814.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

The first thing I noticed about all these ESA guys is they all seem to have huge sleeve tattoos.
Also it turns out that his wife made that shirt for him.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also it turns out that his wife made that shirt for him.
Patriarchy!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's sexist of you to think that women can't be tools of the patriarchy just like everyone else.

also my first offense upon seeing that shirt was the garish color palette and how gauche button up shirts with short sleeves are.

also lmao at how mad steinman gets when a woman is proud of her sexuality

edit: just saw these tweets with which I agree

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dear god. She's gone full circle, and has climbed up her own ass and is feminista-tizing herself.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A man should be free to wear what he wants without ridicule.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's the new reality of the 2014 internet. No one is allowed to do ANYTHING without ridicule

And the shitstorm in response to that ridicule.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It still boggles my mind that some of you think boob shirts are work appropriate attire. Imagine a woman wearing a shirt covered in dicks to work.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I mean women can wear clothes to work that shows off most of their boobs why can't I wear pants that shows off most of my balls?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I mean women can wear clothes to work that shows off most of their boobs why can't I wear pants that shows off most of my balls?
I'm fairly certain that's not usually acceptable, but nice try.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

AND SO SHOULD WOMEN yet look at all the slut-shaming backlash at Kim Kardashian and the suggestion that rape victims' clothing factors into their consent in the matter

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm fairly certain that's not usually acceptable, but nice try.
I'm fairly certain you're fooling yourself. Cleavage at work is pretty darn common, and miles more acceptable than any testicular exposure whatsoever.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm fairly certain you're fooling yourself. Cleavage at work is pretty darn common, and miles more acceptable than any testicular exposure whatsoever.
It's only acceptable to the extent objectification of women is acceptable. If men were objectified to the same degree as women, there would be special cock sleeves in every pair of pants that showed women just how big every guy's dick was. And most shirts would expose a man's shoulder line and/or collarbone area as well. Not even to mention how tight the pants would fit around a guy's butt.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Am I the only one who doesn't work at Hooters?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Am I the only one who doesn't work at Hooters?
My old job, the only person that dressed above a PG rating was one of the partners, but she uh, kind of owned the place so.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My old job, the only person that dressed above a PG rating was one of the partners, but she uh, kind of owned the place so.
So... explain to me how the owner of a business is "objectified" by dressing how she wants because she can get away with it because she's the boss. As I understand it, objectification denotes a loss of power, a loss of personhood. This seems to be an expression of power and control.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So... explain to me how the owner of a business is "objectified" by dressing how she wants because she can get away with it because she's the boss. As I understand it, objectification denotes a loss of power, a loss of personhood. This seems to be an expression of power and control.
I think it's two different conversations. I was just talking about my experience in an office there to BowieLee, not the objectification part toward you.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Dudes. Can you not seriously see how that shirt is kinda damaging? it can be alienating to any woman who wants to enter the sciences?

How Imagine you are a girl who is really into space exploration. You have your heart set on being in NASA one day, being a respected scientist or whatever. Then you see this man wearing this shirt for all the world to see while he talks about something you love. You may not even truly realize what you are seeing but you are left with a lingering, subliminal impression that women aren't well respected in the science community.

You get older and find it hard to get help with you math and science lessons because your teachers spend more time tutoring these subjects to the boys compared to the girls because they have a brighter future in these fields. You are rarely taught about important women in any of you courses. Your peers majje fun of you because of your love for science while a boy with the same interest is never rely questioned. In fact, they think he's pretty smart, albeit nerdy. You are just a shut in and 'no fun'.

You push on through and get to university. Here you are your own again because most of your class mates are male. They constantly try to 'flirt' with you but you don't feel flattered as their flirting often works under the assumption that they need to save you. In group work you are talked over and you are constantly apologizing for voicing your thoughts because you are made to feel like you are interrupting those who matter. Your professors seems to treat you differently, either with kindness that gains resentment from your classmates or with a cold, disdain that makes you uncomfortable.

You make it through, get hired in NASA...and, while the people there are well meaning, you find it to be a boys club. You have to work twice as hard as you male colleagues to be noticed. In some offices there are posters of women wearing barely anything at all. You are gently made of fun of every day for not being a 'real lady'.

Ican ramble on forever. Sciences are already hard for girls to get into because of the perception they are not welcome there. Wearing clothing like that does NOTHING to help that.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Unfortunately, what @LittleSin saying isn't uncommon, for women in STEM fields and a lot of male-dominated fields, like animation. It has gotten better, but I have experienced a similar scenario at college and even going to some studios post-college. It wasn't all the guys, but there were still a few who thought that kind of behavior was okay, and the majority of guys, while not participating, didn't say there was anything wrong with the behavior, either, which just adds to the problem. (I spent an entire 8-hour drive to Ottawa with a classmate repeatedly harassing me, despite a few people telling him to shut up.)

I really don't think the guy in the video was intending to make anyone uncomfortable, but it's really not an appropriate shirt to wear in the workplace in general. I'm not going to be like some people I've seen, saying he should never own a shirt like that in the first place, but it's really more of a outside-of-work shirt.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

AND SO SHOULD WOMEN yet look at all the slut-shaming backlash at Kim Kardashian and the suggestion that rape victims' clothing factors into their consent in the matter
You mad bro?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Cajungal

Cajungal

Just speaking a little to what @LittleSin said, it's kind of shocking how many *teachers* still cling to the "english/lit=girls, math/science=boys" myth.

I had an interesting conversation with my two accelerated math students yesterday--one boy and one girl. They asked if a contest they were doing had a boy and girl winner, to make it fair. I had to explain why this was not necessary.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm a little miffed myself that one of the greatest scientific achievements of humankind has been overshadowed by a shirt a guy's wife made him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Krisken

Krisken

Smart enough to land a rover on a comet. Not smart enough not to wear an inappropriate shirt to work.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Now I'm just mad that there's no pie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Now I'm just mad that there's no pie.
I bought a cherry pie at the grocery store, so I felt comfortable posting that without just being a pie poser.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't even like pie. (and no that's not a metaphor)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Turns out there's a hunky dudes version of the shirt, too. Equality, huzzah!

Cajungal

Cajungal

The guy with no vest looks creepily young. Like, I don't feel right looking at that picture.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm gonna go ahead and make an educated guess that that shirt is marketed to gay men, not women.

Krisken

Krisken

I'd have to agree. The 'hunky' series for ladies would probably only be in pajama form.

Celt Z

Celt Z

The guy with no vest looks creepily young. Like, I don't feel right looking at that picture.
I hate to say this, but do they kinda look like Edward and Jacob,or is that just my phone? Also, going to agree with Bowielee on the target audience.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm gonna go ahead and make an educated guess that that shirt is marketed to gay men, not women.
So what would a gaudy hawaiian shirt that appeals to women feature on it?

Celt Z

Celt Z

For starters, not a gaudy Hawaiian shirt.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ryan Gosling's face.

GasBandit

GasBandit

For starters, not a gaudy Hawaiian shirt.
So, what then, a housecoat, PJs and big fuzzy slippers emblazoned with
Ryan Gosling's face
and pints of Ben & Jerry's?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Men taking out the trash and washing the dishes every once in a while. AMIRIGHTLADIES?! BENANDJERRYSANDWINE!

Ugh. Kill me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Am I the only one that thinks they're just ugly shirts, regardless of what picture is on them?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Am I the only one that thinks they're just ugly shirts, regardless of what picture is on them?
You shut your goddamned mouth.

(I wear a hawaiian shirt to work most every day of the week, though I got too fat for the one that has pretty girls on it a couple years ago).

Terrik

Terrik

(I wear a hawaiian shirt to work most every day of the week, though I got too fat for the one that has pretty girls on it a couple years ago).
You could use your new powers and ban him. Search yout feelings. You know you want to. Complete your journey to the Dave side of the force.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hey, I'm not stranger to Hawaiian shirts. Though I wore mine for the hilarity of it (and an easy way to find me in a crowded Florida theme park).

But then again, THIS shirt is a hundred times more awesome than those abominations. That's before even taking the pictures on them into account.

Krisken

Krisken

I have a friend who wears Hawaiian shirts. He gets nothing but grief for it, too. I suppose it depends on where you live on whether Hawaiian shirts are something which is generally wearable. Here in Wisconsin it generally means you've given up on ever getting laid.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

His shirt was unprofessional and ridiculous, but I don't believe the amount of negative response was warranted considering what he achieved. If any cause has to bully a man for his poor taste in clothing, I doubt it'll engender many people to join it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I feel like most ladies have the decency to relegate gross clothing like that to insufferable bachelorette parties. I knew I couldn't stop my friends from doing that. That's partly why my party was in a cabin in Ville Platte.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Grr. Argh. I'm reading comments on the whole debacle and it's infuriating me. What should have been a monumental and historic event in the history of humanity is now being overshadowed by the trampled "feelings" of a privileged group. Fucken hell people, it's just a goddamn shirt! >:/

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

oh my god you babies, the comet landing is not overshadowed by feminist criticism of an inappropriate shirt. It's still going down in the record book and it's still momentous and I doubt in 5 years the wiki article on it will even mention dude's shirt.

GasBandit

GasBandit

oh my god you babies, it's just a shirt.
FTFY

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Grr. Argh.
As a man, this speaks to me.

I'm reading comments on the whole debacle and it's infuriating me.
Never read the comments. That should be an internet rule.

What should have been a monumental and historic event in the history of humanity is now being overshadowed by the trampled "feelings" of a privileged group. Fucken hell people, it's just a goddamn shirt! >:/
Which privileged group?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Give a pass to people who do big things, huh? Isn't that why we have a thread about a town covering up rape?

-Charlie II

Also, I like to think I pick Hawaiian shirts that look good. Other than one asshole who laughed at them, I've had nothing but compliments when I wear mine. And they're a significant part of my wardrobe.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

As a man, this speaks to me.

Never read the comments. That should be an internet rule.

Which privileged group?
The vast number of people who instead of praising a once in a lifetime achievement, decide to berate the person responsible for it on something so subjective like his choice in clothing. Since they have luxuries like time and access to the internet to voice their displeasure, they fit the criteria of being in a group and privileged.

Krisken

Krisken

I feel like there should be an irony tag.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I feel like there should be an irony tag.
I'm well aware of my privilege too Krisken, I know I fit in the description I made. But I wouldn't be voicing any displeasure at all if those people didn't choose to create an issue out of a non-issue in the face of a huge accomplishment, I'd just be celebrating now.

Krisken

Krisken

Sure, because for you it's a non-issue. I'm pretty sure those women who are angry don't feel that way. Would you feel differently if it was one of your issues you cared about?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm gonna go ahead and paraphrase some choice advice that's sometimes given to ladies: Just quit being so emotional about what other people are saying. Simply don't let it affect you. Quit feeling feelings.

Not verbatim, but you know.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm well aware of my privilege too Krisken, I know I fit in the description I made. But I wouldn't be voicing any displeasure at all if those people didn't choose to create an issue out of a non-issue in the face of a huge accomplishment, I'd just be celebrating now.
Just celebrate, then.

If it's a non-issue to you, don't let other people's opinion ruin your good feeling.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Quit feeling feelings.
Totally unrelated to this thread, I wish I could do that at work.

This probably belongs in a rant thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm sure if he had worn this shirt, tongues would still be waggin' about it.
They'd just be wagging in a different direction.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

I wish I could do that at work.
I will drink to that

GasBandit

GasBandit

Was browsing imgur, and a picture of the dude in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SHIRT came up.. and I nearly did a spit take.

I HAVE THAT SHIRT

I HAVE THIS EXACT SHIRT

OMG

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm starting to get more curious about the rest of his wardrobe.
Also if the Internet is going to be like this about it, maybe we should change it to Not Another Shirt Accident.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm starting to get more curious about the rest of his wardrobe.
Also if the Internet is going to be like this about it, maybe we should change it to Not Another Shirt Accident.

--Patrick

It's the ESA, so it'd be more like "Excellent Shirt Association."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, if there's one thing that's good about the whole harassment debate, it's that I just got to call our HR lady to the carpet (in a joking way) for her telling our promotions director (also female) to "Smile!" in the hallway.

Dave

Dave

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

there is a lot wrong with that joke and I dunno where to start.

for one, I doubt any man has ever feared a kiosk guy raping or killing them. has a man ever been told "don't wear that suit, you're just asking for a salesperson to try to sell you a beamer"

GasBandit

GasBandit

has a man ever been told "don't wear that suit, you're just asking for a salesperson to try to sell you a beamer"
Actually, when you go shopping for cars/car repairs/car parts at a scrapyard, common knowledge IS to dress down. I know it was a joke on the Cosby show, too, but my dad went to extra pains to look poor when we went to buy things where haggling was a thing - had me drive him in my beat up mazda instead of his nice car, "don't tell them I'm a doctor," etc etc.

Also, lighten up Francis.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the Cosby show,.
speaking of sexual harassment of women

PatrThom

PatrThom

speaking of sexual harassment of women
And the 8:30p Thursday time slot was never the same afterwards.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, how about that. Jeesh.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

there is a lot wrong with that joke and I dunno where to start.

for one, I doubt any man has ever feared a kiosk guy raping or killing them. has a man ever been told "don't wear that suit, you're just asking for a salesperson to try to sell you a beamer"
The joke isn't all encompassing of sexual harassment, misogyny, rape culture, etc. It is picking out one small aspect and trying to get men to empathize, because many aren't there yet. There is no headway to be made without bringing this across step by step to get more people on the same side of the issue.

Dave

Dave

The joke isn't all encompassing of sexual harassment, misogyny, rape culture, etc. It is picking out one small aspect and trying to get men to empathize, because many aren't there yet. There is no headway to be made without bringing this across step by step to get more people on the same side of the issue.
Damn right. The joke is about awareness and puts it out there in a humorous way.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Charlie: fighting against his own cause since 2008.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Golly, it's almost like it's an analogy; and like all analogies it compares specific aspects of one concept to specific aspects of another concept, in order to foster understanding in people who are familiar with one of the concepts, and unfamiliar with the other; knowing that, as with all analogies, the two concepts are not the same, and thus aspects outside of the comparison may vary greatly and the analogy should not applied as a blanket statement of absolute equality, because a contrast is implied by logical progression.

But then, I find that all too few people understand the use of analogies to compare/contrast two concepts.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Golly, it's almost like it's an analogy; and like all analogies it compares specific aspects of one concept to specific aspects of another concept, in order to foster understanding in people who are familiar with one of the concepts, and unfamiliar with the other; knowing that, as with all analogies, the two concepts are not the same, and thus aspects outside of the comparison may vary greatly and the analogy should not applied as a blanket statement of absolute equality, because a contrast is implied by logical progression.

But then, I find that all too few people understand the use of analogies to compare/contrast two concepts.
Or it's a joke.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Or it's a joke.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's really funny that a guy that raped at least* a dozen women was a paid spokesperson for pudding pops

*oh, yeah, and not only did he rape them, he drugged them, showing a pattern that implies there's far more than the ones brave enough to come forward

hilarious

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

@Charlie Don't Surf "Have a Coke and a smile."

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I wish we could bring 1980s Eddie Murphy back to life and tell him that Cosby probably raped a woman earlier that week before telling Eddie Murphy to not say "fuck"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And that is why I'm making fun of Cosby.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hate deconstructing humor, but that picture is making fun of the absurdity of a congenial fellow that sells pudding pops raping a woman, let alone 12. This idea that rapists are only guys with knives that attack random women in parking garages is false and damaging.[DOUBLEPOST=1417039385,1417039120][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hate deconstructing humor, but that picture is making fun of the absurdity of a congenial fellow that sells pudding pops raping a woman, let alone 12. This idea that rapists are only guys with knives that attack random women in parking garages is false and damaging.

also note that I said "the idea that GUYS attack WOMEN above." Men get raped by women and men as well. This image is part of why men being raped is not taken seriously. Also the idea that anyone in prison deserves to be raped. But that's for another thread.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is probably why the value of getting things across one step at a time is lost on you--you're all over the place.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Charlie: fighting against his own cause since 2008.
Not just his own.

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

I didn't think Charlie's last post was all that bad. Am I missing something?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I didn't think Charlie's last post was all that bad. Am I missing something?
I don't think he makes a bad point, but then he jumps to the next point, and the next. It's not a big deal, but it illustrates part of the problem in his approach with this stuff. He can't focus and win one battle so that he can fight and win the next; he wants to fight all the battles at the same time.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's not my fault that y'all are wrong about so many things

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

did you intentionally make those smileys into a thrusting phallus, or was it a happy coincidence

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Krisken

Krisken

BIG John.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

rock me like a hurricane

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

it's not my fault that y'all are wrong about so many things
But you don't help. You don't know how. You're the white guy at the civil rights rally trying to shout louder than the people actually being oppressed. And that's not a new thing; white people were doing that back in the '60s, too. It's destructive to the message, it hurts more than helps. I wish I still had the article about this by people after protests from a couple months back, pro-Ferguson support in other cities. After the rally, when the white people had gone home, the leaders met up with black protestors and discussed the damage white participants were doing with their behavior. You're not the only one who acts like this; you're part of a larger problem. It's just a modern age "white man's burden," and it's no less harmful.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

But you don't help. You don't know how. You're the white guy at the civil rights rally trying to shout louder than the people actually being oppressed. And that's not a new thing; white people were doing that back in the '60s, too. It's destructive to the message, it hurts more than helps. I wish I still had the article about this by people after protests from a couple months back, pro-Ferguson support in other cities. After the rally, when the white people had gone home, the leaders met up with black protestors and discussed the damage white participants were doing with their behavior. You're not the only one who acts like this; you're part of a larger problem. It's just a modern age "white man's burden," and it's no less harmful.
i disagree with everything you say, it's not like I'm outshouting any POC here since uhhhhh there aren't any

Adam

Adam

i disagree with everything you say, it's not like I'm outshouting any POC here since uhhhhh there aren't any
ba-link

LittleSin

LittleSin

Are we really all white?

Cuz, daaaamn.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nope, but you sure do outshout the women and the homosexuals on our behalf.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105510,1417105450][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are we really all white?

Cuz, daaaamn.
Apparently Asians are white now?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Nope, but you sure do outshout the women and the homosexuals on our behalf.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105510,1417105450][/DOUBLEPOST]

I literally know no ones ethnicity on this board. I know where people "are" but that means nothing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Asians don't count?

But in any case, I'm not saying that's literally what you're doing, because as you've said you wouldn't go out to one of these things anyway. I said you're like that person; you're methods are related to volume and commotion, not changing minds. The megaphone is useful for getting attention. Everyone here is already aware of what's going on. In what way do you think your methods change anyone's minds? People have been driven to the other side of things because of your abrasive tactics.

So, you're like those people. You do more harm than good. It's why it's been pondered on this forum if you're actually against the causes you support, because your methods are the kind that turn someone in the middle toward the other side. But I don't think that's the case. I think you just have no idea what you're doing and fortunately you stay on your computer where your damage is minimized to the people here.

Krisken

Krisken

You're white if white people say you're white. That's how it works, right?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nope, but you sure do outshout the women and the homosexuals on our behalf.
^this. And this won't be the kind of thing Charlie will respond to. Like the feminism thread from a couple years ago where women on the forum made a point that Charlie was disrespecting them, he is incapable of listening.

I be ninja'd.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105958,1417105869][/DOUBLEPOST]
I literally know no ones ethnicity on this board. I know where people "are" but that means nothing.
I know Shego is Hispanic, I believe Bhamv is Asian.

I think for Charlie POC = black people.

LittleSin

LittleSin

^this. And this won't be the kind of thing Charlie will respond to. Like the feminism thread from a couple years ago where women on the forum made a point that Charlie was disrespecting them, he is incapable of listening.

I be ninja'd.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105958,1417105869][/DOUBLEPOST]

I know Shego is Hispanic, I believe Bhamv is Asian.

Totes for got about Bhamv. I knew shego is hispanic but since she's not really around much I didn't count her, I guess!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

... we could make a poll, but I don't know if we'd like the results.

Adam

Adam

IN GIF FORM
test.gif

GasBandit

GasBandit

We have quite a few posters from south of the border. You guys have mentioned Shego, but don't forget Calleja, or Cog, and there's probably more that I don't remember right off the top of my head.

Adam

Adam

We have quite a few posters from south of the border. You guys have mentioned Shego, but don't forget Calleja, or Cog, and there's probably more that I don't remember right off the top of my head.
Calleja is whiter than I am. Which is saying something.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If we could have animated avatars, you and I would have so much fun.[DOUBLEPOST=1417107104,1417107076][/DOUBLEPOST]
That don't make him any less messican.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Shego and Calleja are not really posting anymore are they?

And I honestly forgot / didn't know about the asian folks! They're definitely POC, although they have vastly different concerns/stereotypes, and they also enjoy more/different privilege than African Americans/ Arab Americans / Hispanic folks.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Are we really all white?

Cuz, daaaamn.
I miss @Green_Lantern . I hope he's okay, with all the unrest in Brazil.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

If we could have animated avatars, you and I would have so much fun.[DOUBLEPOST=1417107104,1417107076][/DOUBLEPOST]
That don't make him any less messican.
actually being incredibly light-skinned can often grant people more privilege..................

LittleSin

LittleSin

Don't be one of those dudes. :p

There's a huge problem on tumblr with wihte lookin' folk practicing some ritual or holiday and being told off by SJWs...only to have to say 'Yes. I am Mexian/East Indian/whatever" in a often rightfully angry post.

Because, you know, only Europeans are white.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

also: re women saying I was outshouting them or saying they don't matter - I don't mean to be calling you out, but I don't remember that? If I did, let me know / PM me or something, and I'm really sorry. I'm not perfect.

LittleSin

LittleSin

actually being incredibly light-skinned can often grant people more privilege..................
You know what. That may be true for America but in other places that doesn't mean a fucking thing.

If you want a rant, I will rant...but can it this time. Stop looking at everything as it pertains to the USA.

Adam

Adam

Don't be one of those dudes. :p

There's a huge problem on tumblr with wihte lookin' folk practicing some ritual or holiday and being told off by SJWs...only to have to say 'Yes. I am Mexian/East Indian/whatever" in a often rightfully angry post.

Because, you know, only Europeans are white.
Cultural appropriation. It's another pathetic SJW attempt at propogating white guilt.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

You know what. That may be true for America but in other places that doesn't mean a fucking thing.

If you want a rant, I will rant...but can it this time. Stop looking at everything as it pertains to the USA.
I did use the word can, not does and not always.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Cultural appropriation. It's another pathetic SJW attempt at propogating white guilt.
There are times when cultural appropriation happens. Native American war bonnets, for example.

There are cases where cultural appropriation, dare I say, BETTERS something. Henna, for example, was originally used strictly to gauge a potential prides purity and how good a wife she would be and how she should be treated. Now its used as an art form and a sign of empowerment for breast cancer patients.

Then, there are times when it doesn't mean anything. Adding doritos to your tacos, while kinda gross, isn't going to collapse a culture.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

every time you use SJW as a pejorative, it makes me stronger

Adam

Adam

every time you use SJW as a pejorative, it makes me stronger
You need it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Then, there are times when it doesn't mean anything. Adding doritos to your tacos, while kinda gross, isn't going to collapse a culture.

wait, did anyone on earth get offended by Taco Bell (which serves nothing resembling Hispanic cuisine) putting Doritos in their garbage? Taco Bell's existence is more offensive to Hispanic cuisine than whatever horrid twist the evil scientists in their dark laboratory discovered to kill Americans faster

LittleSin

LittleSin

I did use the word can, not does and not always.
I apologize. This has been something irksome to be lately, on behalf of my friend who is Mi'kmaq and is often told she is not based on how white she is.[DOUBLEPOST=1417108081,1417107985][/DOUBLEPOST]
wait, did anyone on earth get offended by Taco Bell (which serves nothing resembling Hispanic cuisine) putting Doritos in their garbage? Taco Bell's existence is more offensive to Hispanic cuisine than whatever horrid twist the evil scientists in their dark laboratory discovered to kill Americans faster
I was going to use an example of using cut up hot dog in ramen but that's basically what someone on tumblr said I don't feel right about stealing their words with out being able to credit, you know?

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I have seen long rants on Tumblr about how awful "fusion" cuisine is, and that no one should attempt to incorporate flavors and techniques from other cultures, because doing so robs them of their historical context and somehow damages the other culture.

Ironically, one of the people who reblogged one of those rants later went on to reblog a post about "29 life-changing quesadillas", because it's perfectly all right to make a Jamaican jerk chicken, or teriyaki chicken, or a cuban quesadilla, but don't you dare make any sort of Asian/American fusion cuisine because that's just white people stealing from other cultures!

LittleSin

LittleSin

I have seen long rants on Tumblr about how awful "fusion" cuisine is, and that no one should attempt to incorporate flavors and techniques from other cultures, because doing so robs them of their historical context and somehow damages the other culture.

Ironically, one of the people who reblogged one of those rants later went on to reblog a post about "29 life-changing quesadillas", because it's perfectly all right to make a Jamaican jerk chicken, or teriyaki chicken, or a cuban quesadilla, but don't you dare make any sort of Asian/American fusion cuisine because that's just white people stealing from other cultures!
You see the one claiming West Europe had no good cuisine until the Silk Road opened and spices became a thing? They went on to claim we shouldn't use SPICES because pf this.

I don't know whats more idiotic. The fact that someone out there hates White Europeans so much they know nothing about what their native cuisine is...or that spices are some sort of coveted thing.

The only place I know that loves spice THAT much is Arrakis...and they LOVE exporting that shit.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Uhh.. Check your facts, Taco Bell is really authentic. It gets the job done for half the price, what could be more Mexican than that?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think these sort of things are in the minority and not really a big priority for many "SJW"s. Just because some people say that they can't use spices doesn't mean others are automatically wrong?[DOUBLEPOST=1417109504,1417109467][/DOUBLEPOST]
It gets the job done for half the price, what could be more Mexican than that?
what a shitty thing to say.

LittleSin

LittleSin

But, sadly, true...and darkly funny because of it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You seeing the one claiming West Europe had no good cuisine until the Silk Road opened and spices became a thing? They went on to claim we shouldn't use SPICES because pf this.
Well, shit. I hereby revoke the use of corn by all cultures that aren't native to the Americas.

You hear that Japan? No more putting corn on pizza.

Tacos may be allowed, but only if the person making them can prove native American heritage, and that they've formally atoned for any sins their European ancestors may have committed.[DOUBLEPOST=1417110246,1417109777][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think these sort of things are in the minority and not really a big priority for many "SJW"s. Just because some people say that they can't use spices doesn't mean others are automatically wrong?
NOT ALL SJWs!

Yes, they're a minority, but they're a very vocal minority, and there are a lot of other bullshit issues that are also being whined about. The noise they create makes it more difficult for the undecideds to hear the important message. Instead of hearing a consistent message about valid and important issues, people who are undecided hear a torrent of ridiculous and inaccurate bickering, and they have to then decide if they want to listen at all, and then spend the time and energy to differentiate between the distressed whining and the desperate cries for help.

Want to preach to the choir? Shout and rant using hyperbole in every sentence about how celebrity chefs perpetuate the idea that Asian cultures are savage and need to refined. Want to get the people who are undecided, or inactive, to listen? Talk about such side issues in measured tones and leave them as minor issues, so that the spotlight can stay on the most critical issues.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Want to preach to the choir? Shout and rant using hyperbole in every sentence about how celebrity chefs perpetuate the idea that Asian cultures are savage and need to refined. Want to get the people who are undecided, or inactive, to listen? Talk about such side issues in measured tones and leave them as minor issues, so that the spotlight can stay on the most critical issues.
Guess which Charlie wants.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

What's shitty is the toilet after eating Taco Bell

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Looks like another thread in which Charlie becomes the focal point of discussion. C'mon guys, how can you have not caught onto this already?! I enjoy considering everyone's view on contentious topics, but it's becoming more than irksome when everyone goes off topic to discuss Charlie's posting methods, at this point it feels as though it's formulaic.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

That's cause he's a dirty racist ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Looks like another thread in which Charlie becomes the focal point of discussion. C'mon guys, how can you have not caught onto this already?! I enjoy considering everyone's view on contentious topics, but it's becoming more than irksome when everyone goes off topic to discuss Charlie's posting methods, at this point it feels as though it's formulaic.
This is what I'm talking about! :awesome:

But you're right.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That's cause he's a dirty racist ;)
I already explained myself, but I used a lot of words and sentences and you probably didn't read it

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I already explained myself, but I used a lot of words and sentences and you probably didn't read it
I think I read something about you forgetting that asians existed here, because you were blinded by your racist white privilege :)

Incidentally, my great grandparents were Comanche Indian, which makes me more indian than some of the folks I've seen on TV bitching about the Redskins.

When are you going to stick up for my rights, Charlie? Clearly, I need some white guy of privilege to do it for me :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think I read something about you forgetting that asians existed here, because you were blinded by your racist white privilege :)

Incidentally, my great grandparents were Comanche Indian, which makes me more indian than some of the folks I've seen on TV bitching about the Redskins.

When are you going to stick up for my rights, Charlie? Clearly, I need some white guy of privilege to do it for me :p

Cajungal

Cajungal

This thread does not deliver. I haven't gotten harassed once., let alone every day.

Emrys

Emrys

This thread does not deliver. I haven't gotten harassed once., let alone every day.
Give me your address and I'll send some doomweasels down to change that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So... I hear you like beards

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Tits or gtfo!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I prefer this oldie but goodie.

ohgooddrama.gif

Adam

Adam

I prefer this oldie but goodie.

View attachment 16763
Where are you finding these? I feel like a complete charlie trying to find them and failing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Where are you finding these? I feel like a complete charlie trying to find them and failing.
I saved a few.

rage.gif

I've also got the Hoon Pooty one, but it's too large to file share on our server.

Adam

Adam

That got a vocal guffaw from me. Wow, the memories. :)

And the wedding ring. :*(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hey baby, sm ... smi ... Smilex, by Joker!

bhamv3

bhamv3

*stares creepily at your boobs*

... I'm sorry.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I feel like this is inviting disaster.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I feel like this is inviting disaster.
shhh, don't tap the glass

Cajungal

Cajungal

Just easing the tension, baby.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I like Happy Gilmore, but that joke is slightly problematic / gay panicky :(

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

shhh, don't tap the ass
ftfy

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

that is a gross misrepresentation, I have no issues with anal sex!!!!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Girls are always mean to the nice guy!

that is a gross misrepresentation, I have no issues with anal sex!!!!
You heard it here - Stick it in their pooper - Charlie Approved.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

obv as long as it's consensual between two free souls

GasBandit

GasBandit

Whenever this female video game reviewer gets rape threats via facebook, she forwards it to the sender's mother.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nice

PatrThom

PatrThom

Clever girl.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Good.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I... I'm not sure where else to put this.

Emrys

Emrys

I laughed so hard at that I scared five doomweasels.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I feel dirty just reading this Toronto restaurant review.

It's a Trump property, so no frelling surprise there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel dirty just reading this Toronto restaurant review.

It's a Trump property, so no frelling surprise there.
Heh, I like the narrative paradigm... I can just hear it being read out loud by a midwestern accent over smooth jazz on NPR.

Krisken

Krisken

Heh, I like the narrative paradigm... I can just hear it being read out loud by a midwestern accent over smooth jazz on NPR.
That's how all internal readings of reviews should be heard. :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Time to step up your game, ladies. The new word in feminine ideal body shape is detachable arms.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is that what men really want? I mean... ain't got no head, can't give no head...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is that what men really want? I mean... ain't got no head, can't give no head...
Dude, she gives some wicked trachea.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dat arm ...

Emrys

Emrys

I would give my right arm to be able to look like that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You don't even want to know how many sex toys are limbless, headless torsos.

I feel like you would have to be kind of John Wayne Gasey-ish to actually use that stuff...

Frank

Frank

I feel like you would have to be kind of John Wayne Gasey-ish to actually use that stuff...
I've taken enough into evidence to agree.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, if you think about it, a dildo and a fleshlight are both headless, limbless, torsoless, bodiless appendages.

Emrys

Emrys

Well, if you think about it, a dildo and a fleshlight are both headless, limbless, torsoless, bodiless appendages.
Thanks, Ravenpoe. Thanks a lot.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And they stack together for convenient storage.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Thanks, Ravenpoe. Thanks a lot.
It's not my fault it looks like you hacked up a purple giant.

Emrys

Emrys

It's not my fault it looks like you hacked up a purple giant.
This from someone who lives in "America's wang".