Everyday sexual harassment of women

Dave

Staff member
The joke isn't all encompassing of sexual harassment, misogyny, rape culture, etc. It is picking out one small aspect and trying to get men to empathize, because many aren't there yet. There is no headway to be made without bringing this across step by step to get more people on the same side of the issue.
Damn right. The joke is about awareness and puts it out there in a humorous way.

figmentPez

Staff member
The joke isn't all encompassing of sexual harassment, misogyny, rape culture, etc. It is picking out one small aspect and trying to get men to empathize, because many aren't there yet. There is no headway to be made without bringing this across step by step to get more people on the same side of the issue.
Golly, it's almost like it's an analogy; and like all analogies it compares specific aspects of one concept to specific aspects of another concept, in order to foster understanding in people who are familiar with one of the concepts, and unfamiliar with the other; knowing that, as with all analogies, the two concepts are not the same, and thus aspects outside of the comparison may vary greatly and the analogy should not applied as a blanket statement of absolute equality, because a contrast is implied by logical progression.

But then, I find that all too few people understand the use of analogies to compare/contrast two concepts.

Golly, it's almost like it's an analogy; and like all analogies it compares specific aspects of one concept to specific aspects of another concept, in order to foster understanding in people who are familiar with one of the concepts, and unfamiliar with the other; knowing that, as with all analogies, the two concepts are not the same, and thus aspects outside of the comparison may vary greatly and the analogy should not applied as a blanket statement of absolute equality, because a contrast is implied by logical progression.

But then, I find that all too few people understand the use of analogies to compare/contrast two concepts.
Or it's a joke.

it's really funny that a guy that raped at least* a dozen women was a paid spokesperson for pudding pops

*oh, yeah, and not only did he rape them, he drugged them, showing a pattern that implies there's far more than the ones brave enough to come forward

hilarious

I wish we could bring 1980s Eddie Murphy back to life and tell him that Cosby probably raped a woman earlier that week before telling Eddie Murphy to not say "fuck"

I hate deconstructing humor, but that picture is making fun of the absurdity of a congenial fellow that sells pudding pops raping a woman, let alone 12. This idea that rapists are only guys with knives that attack random women in parking garages is false and damaging.[DOUBLEPOST=1417039385,1417039120][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hate deconstructing humor, but that picture is making fun of the absurdity of a congenial fellow that sells pudding pops raping a woman, let alone 12. This idea that rapists are only guys with knives that attack random women in parking garages is false and damaging.

also note that I said "the idea that GUYS attack WOMEN above." Men get raped by women and men as well. This image is part of why men being raped is not taken seriously. Also the idea that anyone in prison deserves to be raped. But that's for another thread.

I didn't think Charlie's last post was all that bad. Am I missing something?
I don't think he makes a bad point, but then he jumps to the next point, and the next. It's not a big deal, but it illustrates part of the problem in his approach with this stuff. He can't focus and win one battle so that he can fight and win the next; he wants to fight all the battles at the same time.

it's not my fault that y'all are wrong about so many things
But you don't help. You don't know how. You're the white guy at the civil rights rally trying to shout louder than the people actually being oppressed. And that's not a new thing; white people were doing that back in the '60s, too. It's destructive to the message, it hurts more than helps. I wish I still had the article about this by people after protests from a couple months back, pro-Ferguson support in other cities. After the rally, when the white people had gone home, the leaders met up with black protestors and discussed the damage white participants were doing with their behavior. You're not the only one who acts like this; you're part of a larger problem. It's just a modern age "white man's burden," and it's no less harmful.

But you don't help. You don't know how. You're the white guy at the civil rights rally trying to shout louder than the people actually being oppressed. And that's not a new thing; white people were doing that back in the '60s, too. It's destructive to the message, it hurts more than helps. I wish I still had the article about this by people after protests from a couple months back, pro-Ferguson support in other cities. After the rally, when the white people had gone home, the leaders met up with black protestors and discussed the damage white participants were doing with their behavior. You're not the only one who acts like this; you're part of a larger problem. It's just a modern age "white man's burden," and it's no less harmful.
i disagree with everything you say, it's not like I'm outshouting any POC here since uhhhhh there aren't any

Nope, but you sure do outshout the women and the homosexuals on our behalf.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105510,1417105450][/DOUBLEPOST]

Apparently Asians are white now?
I literally know no ones ethnicity on this board. I know where people "are" but that means nothing.

i disagree with everything you say, it's not like I'm outshouting any POC here since uhhhhh there aren't any
Asians don't count?

But in any case, I'm not saying that's literally what you're doing, because as you've said you wouldn't go out to one of these things anyway. I said you're like that person; you're methods are related to volume and commotion, not changing minds. The megaphone is useful for getting attention. Everyone here is already aware of what's going on. In what way do you think your methods change anyone's minds? People have been driven to the other side of things because of your abrasive tactics.

So, you're like those people. You do more harm than good. It's why it's been pondered on this forum if you're actually against the causes you support, because your methods are the kind that turn someone in the middle toward the other side. But I don't think that's the case. I think you just have no idea what you're doing and fortunately you stay on your computer where your damage is minimized to the people here.

Nope, but you sure do outshout the women and the homosexuals on our behalf.
^this. And this won't be the kind of thing Charlie will respond to. Like the feminism thread from a couple years ago where women on the forum made a point that Charlie was disrespecting them, he is incapable of listening.

Apparently Asians are white now?
I be ninja'd.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105958,1417105869][/DOUBLEPOST]
I literally know no ones ethnicity on this board. I know where people "are" but that means nothing.
I know Shego is Hispanic, I believe Bhamv is Asian.

I think for Charlie POC = black people.

^this. And this won't be the kind of thing Charlie will respond to. Like the feminism thread from a couple years ago where women on the forum made a point that Charlie was disrespecting them, he is incapable of listening.

I be ninja'd.[DOUBLEPOST=1417105958,1417105869][/DOUBLEPOST]

I know Shego is Hispanic, I believe Bhamv is Asian.

I think for Charlie POC = black people.
Totes for got about Bhamv. I knew shego is hispanic but since she's not really around much I didn't count her, I guess!

GasBandit

Staff member
We have quite a few posters from south of the border. You guys have mentioned Shego, but don't forget Calleja, or Cog, and there's probably more that I don't remember right off the top of my head.

We have quite a few posters from south of the border. You guys have mentioned Shego, but don't forget Calleja, or Cog, and there's probably more that I don't remember right off the top of my head.
Calleja is whiter than I am. Which is saying something.