[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

North_Ranger

Staff member
Scott, Scott, Scott... Show, don't tell. The Bone Burglar spelling out his reaction just comes off as unnatural and a cheap way for you to try and TELL THE READERS HOW THEY SHOULD FRICKIN' REACT!

Scott, Scott, Scott... Show, don't tell. The Bone Burglar spelling out his reaction just comes off as unnatural and a cheap way for you to try and TELL THE READERS HOW THEY SHOULD FRICKIN' REACT!
I disagree, actually, in the case of today's comic. It felt more like a cleverer version of a "What a TWIST!" punchline.

I actually think the absurdity of what you're complaining about was supposed to be the punch-line. And it kinda works, except that I'm already tired of the Bone Burglar.

It seems like a Simpsons move.

They do it a lot in the later seasons and for me it kills the joke.

Wait, he's actually telling the story? Wasn't the joke that he spoiled the ending before he even told the story therefore making no need to tell said story? I'm usually against Kurtz abruptly ending a story, but in this case it would make perfect sense!

I thought this was going to be a LoLBat storyline.

God help me, I'm actually disappointed it's not.

"....and then at that moment I realized I would welcome LOLBat with open arms reading the current storyline!"

Bone Burglar: "Yikes that is scary, your bones are safe for now."

Maybe Kurtz is going meta?

That was awful. I get that he's parodying people who do the same but he admits that it's an awful storytelling mechanism and yet he does it anyways.

It's not an awful mechanism, it's one that is difficult to use correctly. When you're dealing with a story that is all about perspective and the illusory nature of what we think is true, an ambiguous ending makes perfect sense. When it's just kind of tacked on, it's terrible - but that's not the mechanism, it's the inappropriate use of it. Just like unreliable narrators, villian protagonists, and irony - so many people use them badly, it's easy to think that they're bad devices. They're not, they're just difficult to use effectively and easy to use poorly.

That being said, this was total bullshit.

Necronic

Staff member
Todays strip just bothers me. The setup to the joke is great. The punchline completely wiffs. I don't know how you make this mistake.