[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

I kind of wish he'd fall back on shit his dad says more often rather than the usual stuff he falls back on, those dad strips were usually pretty ok.

Sometimes this thread reminds me of Jim Gaffigan's bit about how some vegetarians are obsessed with meat:

"I don't like meat; I like like to call meat and hang up. Does meat ever talk about me? I don't care..."

For me it's low hanging fruit so's I can get mah snark on.

GasBandit

Staff member
???I'm confused.???

IF it was to my reply, I'm really confused. Yes, I read the strip, so I know the reference, but don't want to share if the meaning of "poind" is something like "pissed on."
He's overreacting in a sarcastic manner to you pointing out a typo. Basically he said "You sure showed him."

Granted you were being a little douchey, but now it's just raining summer's eve in here.

He's overreacting in a sarcastic manner to you pointing out a typo. Basically he said "You sure showed him."

Granted you were being a little douchey, but now it's just raining summer's eve in here.
Now you make me wonder just how many kids have bought summer's eve for their mother... so they can play on a beach or a swing.

/old joke

GasBandit

Staff member
Now you make me wonder just how many kids have bought summer's eve for their mother... so they can play on a beach or a swing.

/old joke
"Where do I get THAT disease?! That disease comes with a hot chick and a puppy!" - Lazyboy, "Underwear Goes Inside the Pants," on drug advertising

It's.... MAPPY TIME!

I actually really liked this on. If it's not Mappy acting like ninjas are a common pest control problem, it's Sky Kid fighting them off with a broom like they are rats. Once I realized that it was about Ninja Assault though, I knew it could only go one way...

Seriously... who makes a game where you fight Ninjas with a GUN? What are they going to do to stop you?

It's.... MAPPY TIME!

I actually really liked this on. If it's not Mappy acting like ninjas are a common pest control problem, it's Sky Kid fighting them off with a broom like they are rats. Once I realized that it was about Ninja Assault though, I knew it could only go one way...

Seriously... who makes a game where you fight Ninjas with a GUN? What are they going to do to stop you?
That one was pretty good.

GasBandit

Staff member
That... looked like it could have been funny... but it tried too hard, lasted too long, and just got awful.

Maybe you guys have your expectations lowered from watching the other ones, which I have not.

I don't think people would be giving him as much "petty" snark if there was a sense that he was putting in effort.

But as of today, in the month of September there have been 17 weekdays, and Kurtz has put comics up on 11, and been totally AWOL on 6. If Kurtz doesn't get a comic up today (and it seems unlikely), then he will have as many comic up in September (11) as Mike and Jerry do in Penny Arcade, and they're a MWF comic with lots of fingers in lots of pots.

So when you're showing up to work less than 2 out of 3 days, and you're leaving obvious spelling errors up on your work for five days straight, it just gives the reader the impression that you're phoning it in and don't care at all about the product you're delivering.

(Before anyone comes up with the "but it's a free comic" comment, that's a weak excuse made without any actual understanding of how the economics of "free" webcontent works.)

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, no comic since Friday. And guess what day it is. Guess. What. Day. It. Is.

HUMP DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Yeah!

Sorry. I guess I just missed his buffer.

Jeff Jacques stabbed himself in the hand.

Didn't miss a day.
He did miss a few days when he threw out his back and was in so much pain he couldn't sit up. Although he's now in the recording studio 10 hours a day making his album and still putting up comics on time.

I'm not sure that Scott can, because those people that would see that he isn't interested in his own strip and has NEVER followed through with his promise to create a buffer.

And workign with the PA guys in the same office, who, despite what you may have against them, still manage to do about 5x as much as he does on any given weekday.
I don't think he works in their office anymore, though. He probably got tired of Khoo giving him dirty looks every time he'd roll in around 1pm.*

*This is comedic hyperbole. I don't actually think Kurtz is lazy, I think he's just terrible at time management.

I don't think he works in their office anymore, though. He probably got tired of Khoo giving him dirty looks every time he'd roll in around 1pm.*

*This is comedic hyperbole. I don't actually think Kurtz is lazy, I think he's just terrible at time management.
As far as I know, he doesn't anymore. I was continuing the phrase "not even after..." - "And" is not the beginning of a new sentence, but of a sentence fragemnt, attached to the preceding sentence. "Not even after being lambasted by his father, and working out of the PA offices!" - past tense.

I'm not quite sure English works that way, though. :p

I wonder if he's exhausting his supply of guests to do guest comics. He seems to be in favor of his apprentice comic artists, or "artists in studio" or however he phrased it, which I assume means unpaid artists doing it for the exposure, which is exactly the kind of thing he constantly railed against 5-10 years ago. I could be wrong though, maybe he's actually paying them. I'm not privy to his finances.

In 2013, he's put up 147 comics, and 28 guest/apprentice comics.

That means that so far this year, 1 out of every 6 comics has been a guest comic.

Maybe it's not a matter of arranging it, but rather that few people want to do it for him anymore.

Well as yesterday's comic shows Robbie is still alive...with no explanation as to where he went and like Miranda we the audience are expected to believe he was just there all along. Scott Kurtz every body!

Well as yesterday's comic shows Robbie is still alive...with no explanation as to where he went and like Miranda we the audience are expected to believe he was just there all along. Scott Kurtz every body!
Robbie moved with the guys because he already owned a house in Seattle. I think Miranda pretty much became Robbie's Pepper Pots.

Damn my long term memory full of trivial bits.