[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Spontaneous dropping and repurposing cast members in a "daily" strip is nothing to fault him on. John Arbuckle didn't originally own Odie and used to have a roommate, for example.

GasBandit

Staff member
What is he now? Unemployed? I'm legit curious and haven't picked up a Garfield since I was ten.
It's not actually ever specified that he stopped being a cartoonist, they just never show him work. But yeah, Lyman (the old roommate) just kind of vanished without it ever being addressed, with Odie remaining behind.

But as long as we're talking about Garfield universe oddities, John doesn't own Nermal either. Nermal just showed up one day, and periodically returns for "visits." Dialog from John indicates that he knows Nermal's name, and alludes some role in his coming for a visit, but it's not known by the audience to whom Nermal actually belongs - he's never on the farm when John goes home to visit the folks, there's no indication that Nermal is Liz's pet nor that she would have trusted John enough to send her kitten to "visit" him.

Zappit

Staff member
I wonder if he's exhausting his supply of guests to do guest comics. He seems to be in favor of his apprentice comic artists, or "artists in studio" or however he phrased it, which I assume means unpaid artists doing it for the exposure, which is exactly the kind of thing he constantly railed against 5-10 years ago. I could be wrong though, maybe he's actually paying them. I'm not privy to his finances.

In 2013, he's put up 147 comics, and 28 guest/apprentice comics.

That means that so far this year, 1 out of every 6 comics has been a guest comic.

Maybe it's not a matter of arranging it, but rather that few people want to do it for him anymore.
You know, I don't like Scott as a person. He's not nice to people, takes criticism worse than most, and is basically pretty self important and immature.

But I'd still do guest strips for PvP.

For all his faults, Kurtz has never actually hurt anybody. (The forum wipes sucked, but you can't say they caused anyone serious injury.) He also created one of the first webcomics I read - something that inspired me to try it myself. I enjoyed the comic and the characters for years, and I really hate to see what it's become. If I had a shot to try to bring it back to that fun, humorous comic for a week, even a day - I'd do it.

I'll never get asked, but I wouldn't say no.

Dave

Staff member
Gotcha. I guess it's hard to keep up with characters who are in the strip once every 5 years.

Zappit

Staff member
I'm with Poe. I still see him in the original office, absolutely seething at his coworkers for giving him the silent treatment for this long.

I know its corny, but I laughed.

And I think they said that Robbie was actually very smart about investing his money so he won't go broke.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have a bone to pick with the latest comic. I love puns. I find them humerus. I love horrible wonderful, groan inducing, rib-tickling puns. But this...

No bones about it Kurtz, that is a bad pun.

Maybe he thinks all the bone jokes are old and calcified; that he can't get outside the radius of all the skeletons jokes already out there. But even sticking to burglary, there has to be some sort of stealing joke to make. After all, this year what he'll be taking will be his revenge!

--

Also, on the subject of missed pun opportunities. I recently listened to last year's D&D game, the Mines of Madness, and...
When one of their party members got swallowed by a purple worm, a replacement shows up and wonders where the first guy is. They claim he's gone on ahead, and they completely miss an opportunity to say "I'm sure he's worming his way into the dungeon as we speak."

My...my body went stiff both times I read that pun. I believe that pun is SO bad its capable of halting higher brain function. Though really, if he needed a pun why didn't he ask king of puns Brad Guigar?

figmentPez

Staff member
I love puns - especially bad ones - but good lord, that one's just bad on whole new levels.
I wouldn't call it bad because, to me, a bad pun is obvious and overused. Bad puns can still get laughs, because they're fun.

"Burgsonal" is an awkward pun. It has no flow; it doesn't clearly evoke burglar or personal.

Burgertime 3: This time it's burgsonal!

"There's been a rash of home break-ins. You might say this city has burgsonal allergies!"