[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Zappit

Staff member
Those silhouettes keep popping up. It's like the lines are getting rationed out, with Table Titans getting the lion's share. Where's the line work, Kurtz. Sorry, there's just not enough lines!

I'd propose a silhouette drinking game, but I'd be afraid of promoting alcoholism.

Couldn't agree more on the seasons thing.

I need to convince my best friend to actually put all the comic strips he's drawn over the last couple of years online and do a daily gag strip. They're some of the funniest strips I've ever read (think artier Chainsawsuit but less arty than Perry Bible) and he has hundreds of them in sketch books. Not all of them are winners, like anything, but he has enough solid work to get his name out there

Those excuses are what unemployed first time webcomickers are allowed to use. Once you have plus 10 books, an animated series, a plush toy, and an assistant CLEARLY more talented than you, you lose the rights to those excuses.

So the Trenches, how weird is it that Isaac is the most relatable character? Not Gwen the expy, but the loser who lives in his car! Q is a horrible boss, Cora can't get down from her moral high horse for five seconds, and Marley is every damn hippy stereotype EVER! And that's not saying Isaac is that enjoyable either, but his pathos makes him FAR more interesting than the other protagonists.

Those excuses are what unemployed first time webcomickers are allowed to use. Once you have plus 10 books, an animated series, a plush toy, and an assistant CLEARLY more talented than you, you lose the rights to those excuses.

So the Trenches, how weird is it that Isaac is the most relatable character? Not Gwen the expy, but the loser who lives in his car! Q is a horrible boss, Cora can't get down from her moral high horse for five seconds, and Marley is every damn hippy stereotype EVER! And that's not saying Isaac is that enjoyable either, but his pathos makes him FAR more interesting than the other protagonists.
I honestly can't tell if I'm supposed to root for Issac, or hate him.

I honestly can't tell if I'm supposed to root for Issac, or hate him.
I know right? One second he's in his car alone and I guess were supposed to feel bad for him, and the next he's all "FUCK EVERBODY I'M AWESOME!" Sendin' some reeeeeeeeeal mixed messages here. I'd be able to tolerate it a little more if he had some funnier lines, but since not he's a weak protagonist.

And back to Gwen-

Notice how the vampire guy didn't actually try to antagonize her and was just stating a fact? Yeah, I do not like new Gwen. ALSO- why is vampire guy back up stairs, I thought he moved downstairs?

My thoughts on Isaac? He's obviously an asshole and that probably played some part in his departure from his game company, but we don't know what happened so I won't hold it against him. What we DO know is he's obviously going crazy having to basically restart his career and he just wants a god damn chance to prove that he doesn't belong with the folks without degrees. So yes, I feel bad for him. But he's not going anywhere until he stops waving his dick around like that.

As for Gwen... why was she promoted again? What did she do that was so special?

My thoughts on Isaac? He's obviously an asshole and that probably played some part in his departure from his game company, but we don't know what happened so I won't hold it against him. What we DO know is he's obviously going crazy having to basically restart his career and he just wants a god damn chance to prove that he doesn't belong with the folks without degrees. So yes, I feel bad for him. But he's not going anywhere until he stops waving his dick around like that.

As for Gwen... why was she promoted again? What did she do that was so special?
It's just a large group of ass-holes.
I think the rabbit or the imaginary elephant with the top-hat are the only characters that aren't screw-ups.

Bah - I realize I'm not an artist. But one of the thing that drives me crazy is when an artist "mails in" something like coloring.

pants.JPG

If you're gonna use a patterned print, don't just stamp it. /nitpick

Bah - I realize I'm not an artist. But one of the thing that drives me crazy is when an artist "mails in" something like coloring.

View attachment 13226

If you're gonna use a patterned print, don't just stamp it. /nitpick
Dude! Scott is a busy man. He has to go give out autographs, be pompous, and play around at conventions. Do live performances of playing D&D. Goof around in the office....

Ya know... Mike and Jerry do the same things and still keep up with their schedules. Plus all the additional work and fundraising they do on the side.

Dude! Scott is a busy man. He has to go give out autographs, be pompous, and play around at conventions. Do live performances of playing D&D. Goof around in the office....

Ya know... Mike and Jerry do the same things and still keep up with their schedules. Plus all the additional work and fundraising they do on the side.
Don't forget that he's also making tastes and stuff.

Couldn't agree more on the seasons thing.

I need to convince my best friend to actually put all the comic strips he's drawn over the last couple of years online and do a daily gag strip. They're some of the funniest strips I've ever read (think artier Chainsawsuit but less arty than Perry Bible) and he has hundreds of them in sketch books. Not all of them are winners, like anything, but he has enough solid work to get his name out there
Yes, you do need to do this, because one of the most significant ways to get a decent following for a webcomic or blog is frequency and volume.

Yes, you do need to do this, because one of the most significant ways to get a decent following for a webcomic or blog is frequency and volume.
This. I actually read the trenches, if only because it updated on the days that penny-arcade didn't, so it filled a gap in the reading schedule. When it ended its "season" and stopped updating for a month or two, I found no reason to go back to it.

God Fucking Damn it. Another Scratch Fury Saves Christmas arc.

Suddenly I'm kinda wishing PVP would have mid-season breaks too.

Table Titans.....Jeeze.
A) Dear Scott, please please please get a proofreader. If you don't know how to spell Lefleur, and even spell it different ways in the same comic, that's bad.
B) We're "finally" going to focus on Val. If there's any character I thought wasn't interesting, it was her. But oh! Now we get ot see her as a barbarian! Huzzah! Either that means less development, or it means by the end of the next chapter, she'll realize a bard is cooler/better/more fun than a barbarian. Neither's interesting or original.
C) Seriously - everybody stays the same character but a few levels higher, except Mary S...eerr, Val. She changes to Barb? Just what this party needed.
D) 2 weeks of sketches? Fine...If you invest that time in Trenches, PvP, or something. Or put everything on hold for a vacation - I can live with that. Trenches on hold, TT on hold, and PvP still updating late and with a story we've already seen? Oh joy.

Table Titans.....Jeeze.
A) Dear Scott, please please please get a proofreader. If you don't know how to spell Lefleur, and even spell it different ways in the same comic, that's bad.
B) We're "finally" going to focus on Val. If there's any character I thought wasn't interesting, it was her. But oh! Now we get ot see her as a barbarian! Huzzah! Either that means less development, or it means by the end of the next chapter, she'll realize a bard is cooler/better/more fun than a barbarian. Neither's interesting or original.
C) Seriously - everybody stays the same character but a few levels higher, except Mary S...eerr, Val. She changes to Barb? Just what this party needed.
D) 2 weeks of sketches? Fine...If you invest that time in Trenches, PvP, or something. Or put everything on hold for a vacation - I can live with that. Trenches on hold, TT on hold, and PvP still updating late and with a story we've already seen? Oh joy.
I'm pretty sure he's no longer involved with the Trenches. Originally he was only doing the art for it, but his "apprentice" took over that duty, and it might have changed again for all I know.

Throughout it all, the only thing of "Mike's Art" I can see is the only thing I absolutely dislike about his style - the ugly, discolored, malformed, separate entities living in the middle of people's faces in lieu of noses.

(seriously. He doesn't use them for the "regular" strips but always uses it in his "fancy" strips - and I hate it. My nose is not a red square blotch.)

Throughout it all, the only thing of "Mike's Art" I can see is the only thing I absolutely dislike about his style - the ugly, discolored, malformed, separate entities living in the middle of people's faces in lieu of noses.

(seriously. He doesn't use them for the "regular" strips but always uses it in his "fancy" strips - and I hate it. My nose is not a red square blotch.)
I get the feeling Mike and Jerry surround themselves with drunks.

B) We're "finally" going to focus on Val. If there's any character I thought wasn't interesting, it was her. But oh! Now we get to see her as a barbarian! Huzzah! Either that means less development, or it means by the end of the next chapter, she'll realize a bard is cooler/better/more fun than a barbarian. Neither's interesting or original.
I know the latter is cliche as all hell, but do I hope that is the moral. The whole point of part one(not calling it a season, that is dumb) was for Val to stop playing the same damn character, get out of her comfort zone, and do something new.

Gah... there's no one in or involved with the Trenches that doesn't deserve to be set on fire. Yes, that includes Gabe and Tycho. They've pulled a Kurtz and shuffled the duties on to others.

Cue story-arc where Gwen forms a cadre of other frustrated developers to make a knock-off of RhymeBlade in flagrant violation of the almost certain non-compete clause in her contract, which will be whipped out as an eleventh-hour reveal / plot abortion. Or should I say, plot miscarriage...

Last edited:
So, she's going to make a fake game...just to trick her boss into letting her design characters. Forgive me if I'm confused, wasn't Isaac supposed to be the childish a-hole? For fuck's sake, who the hell am I supposed to root for in this strip?!