[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Dave

Staff member
That is pretty cool for Scott. I bet his site had a bit of a bump.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Comic 1: So Krampus has no demands save to be respected.

Comic 2: Krampus wants to be Santa Clause for one year.

Is he going to ask for some children to eat in the next comic? Cause he certainly has no demands outside of being respected.

I guess we'll never know. 2 week holiday hiatus during a holiday themed storyline. Buffer what?
Myeah, I've been wondering myself. No notification either. I don't mind an artist taking a few weeks off (though a professional can have guest artists or filler or just use a buffer), but unannounced? The blog talks of TT season 2 and so on, but nothing about taking a vacation...

He did tweet somewhere between Xmas & New Years that he was taking a few days off because of the holidays & being sick. But still.

There have been several instances in the past couple of months where he'll just miss a day with no explanation. Not the best plan when your front page says "Updates Mon-Fri". I tried to pull up the archives to call him out on it, but the archive no longer links to a calendar, but rather you must choose your starting month (which in itself is a stupid method". I dunno - I've tried to be on "his side" for most of his issues, but he keeps making it more difficult.

You know, I wish he would just be up front about this stuff.

I'm guessing most people would be cool if he dropped to Mon-Wed-Fri or some variant thereof, and advertisers ultimately care about CPM/CPA vs ROI (and always being late or skipping updates is not going to help in the total eyeballs market).

figmentPez

Staff member
"Thanks to Table Titans and Mappy we have a lot of new readers who just really have no idea where to dive into PvP. For that reason our site is getting a much needed facelift which we’ll be debuting soon. And we’re going to launch with a new story-arc that will help introduce new readers to our characters for the first time."

Yes, and for all those new readers: Here's an unexplained two week hiatus, right after we got linked from Robert Downey Junior. Want to know where to start reading? Nowhere, because this comic doesn't update anymore, don't bother.

You know, I wish he would just be up front about this stuff.

I'm guessing most people would be cool if he dropped to Mon-Wed-Fri or some variant thereof, and advertisers ultimately care about CPM/CPA vs ROI (and always being late or skipping updates is not going to help in the total eyeballs market).
If he dropped to mon-wed-fri, he'd only do one comic a week.

I'd like to point something out:

A certain other long-standing webcomic artist only skipped one or two strips over this past holiday season. He revealed today the reason why: he and his wife were separating.

Just pointing that out.

I'd like to point something out:

A certain other long-standing webcomic artist only skipped one or two strips over this past holiday season. He revealed today the reason why: he and his wife were separating.

Just pointing that out.
Wait, which comic is that?

You know it. It appears it was somewhat amicable, as much as it could be.

I just hope it doesn't affect his work. This was a man who stabbed his own hand in frustration.

He did tweet somewhere between Xmas & New Years that he was taking a few days off because of the holidays & being sick. But still.

There have been several instances in the past couple of months where he'll just miss a day with no explanation. Not the best plan when your front page says "Updates Mon-Fri". I tried to pull up the archives to call him out on it, but the archive no longer links to a calendar, but rather you must choose your starting month (which in itself is a stupid method". I dunno - I've tried to be on "his side" for most of his issues, but he keeps making it more difficult.

A little something I threw together in the summer because I was going to make a point (and painfully bored while living in a hotel) and kept updating to finish.

Green = Regularly scheduled strips (198)
Orange = Guest strips (28)
Red = Unexplained absences (35)

GasBandit

Staff member

A little something I threw together in the summer because I was going to make a point (and painfully bored while living in a hotel) and kept updating to finish.

Welcome aboard. I think we're gonna like you.

In related news, is there anybody who would not fire an employee based on the above schedule, where orange was requested time off and red was a no show (or even called-in absence)?

In related news, is there anybody who would not fire an employee based on the above schedule, where orange was requested time off and red was a no show (or even called-in absence)?
Is there really any point in comparing the schedule of a normal job with one of a self-employed artist?

Dave

Staff member

It would be interesting to see how this compares to past years. No, I'm not asking you to do this. I just think it would be interesting.

figmentPez

Staff member
He's also not getting paid to keep the same schedule as those cartoonists.
We've repeatedly discussed advertising deals, page views and other reasons why Kurtz would be much better off if he kept to a consistent schedule. He's not getting paid by a syndicate, he's getting paid by advertisers, sponsors and other marketing deals. Would you want to pay top dollar for ad space on PvP if he doesn't have any new content up for two weeks after getting linked by a major celebrity? One of the biggest chances for fresh eyes to view ads, and there's not even a notice of when regular strips will return.

We've repeatedly discussed advertising deals, page views and other reasons why Kurtz would be much better off if he kept to a consistent schedule. He's not getting paid by a syndicate, he's getting paid by advertisers, sponsors and other marketing deals. Would you want to pay top dollar for ad space on PvP if he doesn't have any new content up for two weeks after getting linked by a major celebrity? One of the biggest chances for fresh eyes to view ads, and there's not even a notice of when regular strips will return.
That doesn't change that he's under no contractual obligation to provide PVP on that schedule. One of the benefits of being self-employed like he his is that he has control over his schedule, if he feels taking advantage of that is worth more than the additional money he would make (like recently when he and his household got sick over the holidays), then I'm not going to worry about it either. My point was not that he wouldn't make money with more updates, but that Blot's comparison of his schedule to that of newpaper cartoonists is a poor one.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fair enough, so long as he never gripes about not getting legit consideration as a professional on the same level as a newspaper cartoonist ever again.

Because he doesn't hold it to an absolute schedule he's not getting paid to hold it to unlike people who are getting paid to do so? Is Bill Amend worth less professional consideration other newpaper cartoonists for you too since he only puts out a Sunday strip? A better point of comparison would be Table Titans, since to my understanding he is working under a contract to put out content on a certain schedule for that. If he's failing his obligations there, then I would agree he doesn't have a leg to stand on in those gripes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Because he doesn't hold it to an absolute schedule he's not getting paid to hold it to unlike people who are getting paid to do so? Is Bill Amend worth less professional consideration other newpaper cartoonists for you too since he only puts out a Sunday strip? A better point of comparison would be Table Titans, since to my understanding he is working under a contract to put out content on a certain schedule for that. If he's failing his obligations there, then I would agree he doesn't have a leg to stand on in those gripes.
How many sundays has foxtrot missed? that's my issue. Scott sets an expectation by calling his strip a weekdaily strip, then misses 35 weekdays and has guest strips for another 33. If his schedule is too tough, he should, as others have said, switch to MWF and build a buffer.

Eh. Self-employed and all that, nice. A doctor that randomly doesn't show up for his speaking hours, a gas station that mysteriously isn't open during opening hours, a grocery store closed at hours it should be open - once in a blue moon, sure. Accidents happen, there can be a very good reason, tragedy in the family, I don't care.
Without warning, without reason, disappearing for 14 days? you'd be bankrupt if working for yourself, and fired working for anyone else. It's not just "unprofessional", it's simply not grown up.

There's been 35 days with no comic out of about 260 weekdays, or a success rate of about 86.5%. That's enough to say it's usually a M-F strip. Would it be better if he was a bit more consistent? Certainly, but as it is, if he went down to a MWF schedule he'd been doing about 30 less strips a year (assuming no guest strips), so complaining that he's providing more content because there's also with the occasional lapse just seems like such a non-issue to me (Now, complaining about people complaining about it on the other hand...:p).

GasBandit

Staff member
There's been 35 days with no comic out of about 260 weekdays, or a success rate of about 86.5%. That's enough to say it's usually a M-F strip. Would it be better if he was a bit more consistent? Certainly, but as it is, if he went down to a MWF schedule he'd been doing about 30 less strips a year (assuming no guest strips), so complaining that he's providing more content because there's also with the occasional lapse just seems like such a non-issue to me (Now, complaining about people complaining about it on the other hand...:p).
Only in school is 86% a good success rate. In the real world, 86% gets you fired/contract terminated/clients lost.

Without warning, without reason, disappearing for 14 days? you'd be bankrupt if working for yourself, and fired working for anyone else. It's not just "unprofessional", it's simply not grown up.
And when has he done that? Because you can't say that about this latest gap, since there was a reason, he announced it over twitter.[DOUBLEPOST=1389126106,1389126028][/DOUBLEPOST]
Only in school is 86% a good success rate. In the real world, 86% gets you fired/contract terminated/clients lost.
Unless people have abandoned PVP en-masse this year for this reason, I think it's safe to say you're wrong there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Unless people have abandoned PVP en-masse this year for this reason, I think it's safe to say you're wrong there.
Well, actually, starting around june this past year, pvponline's alexa rating started trending down very visibly. Though, there's no way to tell if that was due to absences (since apparently most of the absences actually were in the last 4 months of the year) or just dissatisfaction with the strip in general. Which is something I could believe.