Export thread

PVP Discussion

Limit: 500

Dei

Dei

PvPonline » 2010 » December » 02

While not a huge fan of LoLBat.... it could be pretty epic...

Dave

Dave

I. Despise. LolBat.

I. Despise. Kringus.

I. Will Skip. PvP. until. After. Christmas.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, I like lolbat as just one shot jokes. Kringus is... kind of meh as well.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I like both, and I'm really looking forward to this month of strips.

Hylian

Hylian

lolbat works best when he is just a one shot joke. As far as Kringus goes he is "alright" but nothing I want to read about all the time.

Gusto

Gusto

Buhh.

If today's strip is any indication, the premises of both Kringus and Lolbat are both wearing thin.

Tress

Tress

... which is a shame, because before this recent storyline I was thinking that PvP was having a bit of a revival.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

lolbat is not funny. I'd rather be trepanned by Shego than have to read this arc.

Tress

Tress

R

Raemon777

I do think lolbat is funny, and I think Kringus is funny. I don't expect this month to be SUPER funny, and it'll probably end up kind anti-climactic like last year, but the idea of lolbat rescuing Santa's brain in a jar is hilarious enough in concept to justify a week of strips that will probably be approximately as funny as PVP normally is.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Lolbat doing anything being hilarious in concept?

R

Raemon777

If you don't like lolbat, it stands to reason that whatever he shows up in is not going to be hilarious, either in concept OR execution. But I DO like lolbat and have thought just about every instance of him in the strip was funny. So the notion of him saving Santa's Brain in a Jar Which Has Been Stolen By a Cat (which is also hilarious in concept, even if not in execution) is even more hilarious in concept, even if not in execution.

Steve

Steve

I've never been a fan of the Kringus storyline. I felt Sluggy Freelance had a great story with Bun Bun vs Santa and eventually ran that into the ground. Then PVP launched Kringus storyline and by that time I was over the whole "let's battle Santa" thing.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm more cheesed off by the fact that he had to make LoLBat Butler's alter ego.

Butler. How I loved that character. He was like awesome in a can in a sea of mediocrity.

Until we learned his badass 'stache is fake and he spends his evening-offs dressing as a flying rodent in leotard.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Out of Their Minds
Ow.

Ow ow ow ow!!

I think my brain just died from how corny and crappy this single comic strip was. All it lacked was a mangled Star Trek quote...

KCWM

KCWM

I wonder how much PVP hate is actual dislike and how much is fueled and/or magnified by being so unceremoniously dumped by Kurtz.

LOL Bat is silly. Kringus is silly. As aforementioned, great concepts just a little lacking in execution from time to time.

Hylian

Hylian

I still enjoy reading PVP I just am not a huge fan of LOLBat or Kringus.

Jiarn

I wonder how much PVP hate is actual dislike and how much is fueled and/or magnified by being so unceremoniously dumped by Kurtz.

LOL Bat is silly. Kringus is silly. As aforementioned, great concepts just a little lacking in execution from time to time.
Both. It's a weak comic and he's an all around weak person.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I liked Kringus when he was just Scratch in a tree. Even when he first went toe-to-toe with that mall Santa, demanding that Santa give over his teleportation technology, I liked him. When all this junk about Christmas prophecy and "forbidden Christmas magic" started flying around, that's when I, personally, lost interest. Kringus was funny because it was about a cat in a Christmas tree with delusions of grandeur. Him being a serious villain to Santa... not so funny.

LoLBat... well, he was funny once or twice, with the introduction and the fight with silly villains. Nothing too grand, but good for a few laughs. I do, however, dislike him being an alter ego of Butler, a character I truly and thoroughly enjoyed in the past; a prim and proper British gentleman's gentleman, whose gentleman happens to be a suddenly-rich beer and vigeo games connoisseur (i.e. a couch potato). Somehow Butler having a secret life as a leotard-wearing, meme-spouting superhero doesn't fit. Granted, it's a nice reference to Batman's Alfred, but it's a bit too much. I'd like some deeper character to Butler's persona, but slapping him together with LoLBat... well, that just sounds like lazy writing. Like Scott couldn't be damned to make some manner of history for both characters, so he just decided they're one and the same.

My 1/50 of a dollar on the matter.

R

Raemon777

I believe Scott (for good or for ill) when he said that lolBat was always supposed to be Butler, for year(s) before it was revealed. Doesn't make it any better or worse, but I don't think it was just slapped on. Asides, the whole point of an alter-ego is to be completely different, so that no one can track you.

Disconnected

LOL made my season.

Chibibar

I do like Butler. I'm ok with him being LOLBat.
I do like Scratch. I do like Kringus.

I hate the current arc of Santa + Lolbat vs Kringus.

Tress

Tress

LOL made my season.[/QUOTE]

Heh, that's not exactly what it looked like when I posted it. Looks like someone still has some issues with their temper.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kringus was funny because it was about a cat in a Christmas tree with delusions of grandeur. Him being a serious villain to Santa... not so funny.
Bingo! I think that unreality works much better as a punchline in PvP than it does a story arc. Jumping in the General Lee as the last panel? Awesome. A whole arc where Santa exists and Kringus has magical powers? *sigh* It looses the magic when it's continually present, especially when there's no contrast with "real life".

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

LOL made my season.[/QUOTE]

Man, someone really needs his chill pill...

MindDetective

MindDetective

The Kringus stuff is just a tribute to old superhero comics (in this case, X-men, I think). It isn't meant to be funny, in my view. It does mean it probably has a limited audience, though. And Kurtz is probably most interested in just doing it for himself. *shrug*

Dave

Dave

Obviously that image was hosted on Chaz's server. Personally, I think his retort is funny. Fa la la and all that.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, its just his way of saying he loves us. Awwwwwww... we love you to Chaz!

As to what MD was saying up there about this being for Scott... he said in his blog post its for "the people who buy stuff because its cat in a tree" or something like that. He basically said he knew people might be tired of it but there are people who buy stuff because of it and so he does it for them. I'm not passing judgment on that or anything, just saying.

Personally I think the arc is terribly mediocre.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Sorta mediocre, and teh Kurtz is late on top of everything else. It's almost 10:00 CST and there's still no new strip.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Kringlings? KRINGLINGS?! KRINGLINGS!!!!??? OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THIS IS SO FUC-

*pops some chill pills*

Yeah, this is retarded... So very, very retarded.

Hylian

Hylian

Yeah, this is retarded... So very, very retarded.

↑ this

R

Raemon777

I really don't understand how you can be reading this storyline and have the Kringlings be the point where you go "SERIOUSLY??? WTF?? SO F@#$@#$% RETARDED!!!"

I mean, you've either accepted the ridiculousness of the story by now or you haven't. If you haven't, a) why are you still torturing yourself, b) what makes the Kringlings any more stupid than anything else?

Gusto

Gusto

Cat fighting santa --> plausible
No see this is where you lost me.

As a one-off, back in like 2007, it was fine and even pretty funny/awesome. But three years later it has spiraled further and further into ridiculousness. And not even the novelty of "this is just what Scott does at Christmas" is enough of an explanation anymore.

Espy

Espy

As a one-off, back in like 2007, it was fine and even pretty funny/awesome. But three years later it has spiraled further and further into ridiculousness. And not even the novelty of "this is just what Scott does at Christmas" is enough of an explanation anymore.
I'm with Gustavious.

R

Raemon777

Sorry, once we get to "cat has stolen Santa's brain in a jar, duelled him psychically to gain access to the ancient secrets of the twelve kingdoms of Christmas, and laid siege to the North Pole...." no, it really does not get more ridiculous than that. I cannot fathom how you can accept that as par for the course and then freak out when the secrets of the Twelve Kingdoms of Christmas... lead to secret powers that no one's seen before. Especially when the whole thing is so completely not intended to be taken seriously at all.

Gusto

Gusto

Honestly, the cat actually having any degree of power and not just intelligence and the delusions of grandeur that all cats have anyway is almost too far a stretch for me. I have no idea why PVP semi-regularly gives over to Scratch's bouts of supervillainy.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Sorry, once we get to "cat has stolen Santa's brain in a jar, duelled him psychically to gain access to the ancient secrets of the twelve kingdoms of Christmas, and laid siege to the North Pole...." no, it really does not get more ridiculous than that. I cannot fathom how you can accept that as par for the course and then freak out when the secrets of the Twelve Kingdoms of Christmas... lead to secret powers that no one's seen before. Especially when the whole thing is so completely not intended to be taken seriously at all.
Ever heard of the expression "that which broke the camel's back"? Apologies for mangling said phrase, but it is quite late here. Also, I had just been re-watching Nostalgia Critic review Batman and Robin, and somehow the appearance of Kringlings - which to me sounded stupid beyond human comprehension - I kind of snapped.

Also, the whole secrets of the Dozen Domains of the Season or whatever sounds just completely stupid.

Take that serious stick out of your keister, man.

Terrik

Terrik

Take that serious stick out of your keister, man.
Or your craw. Especially your craw.

Hylian

Hylian

Also, I had just been re-watching Nostalgia Critic review Batman and Robin,

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Bingo.

Zappit

Zappit

Oh, this is getting even worse - Dark Kringus? There's not even any coherency to these strips now - and I don't think you can justify it by saying LOLBat has that random nature.

Dave

Dave

Now THIS is a blast from the past! PvPOnline is down.

Draxo

Draxo

As much as I dislike Lolbat, he better not lose this one.

I'm really sick of this 'lol evil' cat and Kringus, there's such thing as taking a joke too far, and if you carry it over to the other side of the planet it doesnt get as funny as it first was. Its about time for him to lose.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Don't worry, Draxo... LOLBat will likely get his second wind from the tears of meme kittehs or morph into Anonymon, the ultimate meme or whatever...

Terrik

Terrik

No this is where the Justice Memes of America swoop in to save the day. It wouldnt surprise me.

Draxo

Draxo

Don't worry, Draxo... LOLBat will likely get his second wind from the tears of meme kittehs or morph into Anonymon, the ultimate meme or whatever...
We can hope..!

R

Raemon777

See, I actually think that would be funny.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Maybe Kringus will learn the true meaning of Christmas and allow himself to be stopped?

Bwahahaha! I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Maybe it'll be anti-climactic

Baerdog

Baerdog

I think Allen might be some kind of prophet.

Tress

Tress

I'm putting my money on a sudden unresolved ending because he got bored.

R

Raemon777

I confess that I will not bet against Tress' prediction.

Chibibar

I confess that I will not bet against Tress' prediction.
I am guessing this will be a dream sequence ;)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fixed that for you Kurtz (you hack. ;)) Every proper meme shouting hero needs to scream "I AM A MAN!" when performing a massive punch.

For reference see Linkara's review of Superman At Earth's End

Philosopher B.

Psssh I haven't read PVP in months. Then again, Hark! A Vagrant, Gun Show, Chainsaw Suit, and Penny Arcade are practically the only comics I bother to read frequently these days ...

---------- Post added at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

You know what gets me, Kurtz acting embarrassed about all his old strips. You know, when he had punchlines. That was some crazy sheeeit.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Fixed that for you Kurtz (you hack. ;)) Every proper meme shouting hero needs to scream "I AM A MAN!" when performing a massive punch.
I disagree. We all know the greater "punch" meme is...

FALCON PAUUUNNCCCHH!

I really was surprised not to see "lolbat Paaunnncchhh!" or "Christmas Paaaunnnccchhh!"

Disconnected

anything is better than Hurk. how the hell do you end anything with Hurk. really.

Chibibar

LOLbat missed the heart.
a wee bit too low (more like WAY too low)

Gusto

Gusto

It is a cat in a tree.

KCWM

KCWM

I chuckled "Uh...meow?"

Steve

Steve

The Santa Corps to the rescue!!!!!!!! http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20101222.png

Tress

Tress

:Leyla:

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I, uh, don't really know what to make of this. . . .

Why didn't the Santa corp just show and duel Kringus in the first place?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I, uh, don't really know what to make of this. . . .

Why didn't the Santa corp just show and duel Kringus in the first place?
I don't know if Kurtz planned it this way, but I took that as part of the gag. The Green Lantern Corps has either shown up late, or been completely ineffective, so often I'm pretty sure it's a cliche.

R

Raemon777

I don't know if Kurtz planned it this way, but I took that as part of the gag. The Green Lantern Corps has either shown up late, or been completely ineffective, so often I'm pretty sure it's a cliche.
That was my assumption. (Whether he planned it or not, it was funny).

What I particularly like is that, when all is said done, Scratch IS still just a cat in a tree. I'm also tickled by the fact that now Butler knows who Scratch is. I bet that'll end up being relevant next year.

Overall I thought the arc was good. The haters were never going to like it no matter what. I think the big mistake Kurtz made last year was getting all hyped up about it and getting a guest artist when basically it was a pretty average story arc.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

At first, I thought the Santa Corps was a really well-done photoshop.

Then I went to the PVP site.

PVP sucks.

Dei

Dei

I have a feeling it's going to lead to Scratch trying to find out who LoLBat is, with hijinks ensuing.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hey, weren't those elves and Lolbat's sidekick being attacked by kring... ahem... the kring... those little spruce-like things?

Also, the Santa Corps? Really? I call Ass Pull...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

More comments on my psychic abilities plz

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

More comments on my psychic abilities plz[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the sun will rise in the east tomorrow as well?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I have glimpsed into the future. Yes, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

Chibibar

Heh. When I saw today's coming I went, "huh, Green Lantern" then I went "huh, just like Lantern Corp, they are still late doing anything useful" it was not really funny for me. Ah well.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Then my psycic powers tell me that...

LOLBat become the new Santa once a year!!!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wait, I thought that Superman was Santa...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kurtz, stop talking to yourself on Twitter, you hack! It's not funny, it's pathetic.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Kurtz, stop talking to yourself on Twitter, you hack! It's not funny, it's pathetic.
Then what's the point of Twitter?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Then what's the point of Twitter?
To send messages about yourself to the world. Using it to have your fictional creation wish you a Merry Christmas is just asinine.

Kovac

Kovac

This is how the story arc ends?

Seems kinda weak

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

No, there's one more strip with Scratch sitting all ouchy on the couch next to smirking Skull.

Weak.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Kurtz really delivered this time around...

who am I kidding?

Espy

Espy

Yeah... meh.

It's a shame, I really do like Scratch, I'm just a sucker for cat stuff.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Whaaaaat?

A disappointing conclusion to an overall ho-hum storyarc?

In PVP?!

That NEVER happens!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Not that I really care much at all about the comic, but most of you sound like whiny ex-girlfriends.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not that I really care much at all about the comic, but most of you sound like whiny ex-girlfriends.
It is how we old timers met after all.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Whatever! Whatever! You don't know! You don't know! Uh uh!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Anyone here secretly hoping he ends the strip and starts on something else?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Given the untold number of "something elses" already abandoned midstream and littering the internet?

Gusto

Gusto

Well he'll be starting something else soon anyway.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I've pretty much given up on reading PVP - it was my initial interest that brought me to this group - back when PVP had forums that mattered any... I've just floated along.

I'm pretty much down to only reading Goblins, Darths and Droids, and Looking For Group. Goblins' stories are actually compelling enough that I have actually cared about things such as this whole GAP vs Kore arc going on.

Piotyr

Piotyr

He's allegedly going to start some joint project with Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Since those two are reliable, I would imagine it'll hold up. Scott has kept up his blamimations with Kris for them.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://www.pvponline.com/2011/01/05/dunder-head/

He may drop PvP after all...

I don't see it happening. It is his cash cow.
Added at: 18:37
Now Max looks like Brent's half brother.

Espy

Espy

Nah, the PVP magazine is going to go all digital, thats what this arc is getting at.

Disconnected

yes, but not holding my breath. making my own doodles to pass time... more entertaining (and I can't draw worth a stick figure)

the joint project with PA intrigues me but we shall see.

Gusto

Gusto

Uh no it's The Trenches.

Espy

Espy

If it ever happens.

Gusto

Gusto

It'll happen. Khoo runs a tight ship.

Espy

Espy

Didn't they announce it over a year ago? And has there been any word on it since then? I read PA regularly and unless I missed it they haven't even mentioned it since the big announcement.

Gusto

Gusto

I think they announced it at PAX in August, said that they'd be starting development on it in the new year.

According to the most recent episode of Webcomics Weekly, production has begun.

Piotyr

Piotyr

He initially announced it in his PVP blog on September 3rd. Since then, he mentioned it in his end of year blog post regarding 2011 projects.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah we discussed the three in the WCAJ. Allen and I both voted for Belruel but expected it to come in last. We were pleasantly surprised. :)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Second place, bitch.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I think teh Kurtz let the holiday craziness catch up with him; he hardly posted anything over Christmas week. In the meantime, the LFG/LICD people put up new updates on time like they ALWAYS do.

phil

phil

oy. the last arch just up and ends, with not even everything being wrapped up (I guess LOLbat's sidekick died! At least I'm rooting for that)

and now this arch is going to just be LOL@print interwebz 4 lyfe.

KCWM

KCWM

For as much as I liked the storyline, that ended WAS weak.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

"I am killing Computer Rags by reading /."

evilmike

evilmike

I stopped reading PVP over a year ago, but this thread got me curious enough to stop by the site. Is it wrong of me to think that the funniest thing on the site over the holidays was his PVP store announcement?

Scott Kurtz said:
There’s been a bit of confusion regarding our store. And it’s lead to some customer service botch-ups on my end. I wanted to make a post and clear a couple things up. The PvP store is currently not open for business. We’ve moved our merchandise from our Austin, TX warehouse to the new shiny Penny-Arcade (Seattle based) warehouse. Having our merchandise ship from a local warehouse means that it’s easy for me to personalize orders as they go out to you guys, something I feel is really important.
The timing isn’t great. The PvP store is not open during prime holiday shopping. And that’s unfortunate, but serves a greater good I guess. But you guys have been very determined to order PvP product despite the store being down. Either on purpose or on accident, many of you have found your way to the pages of individual products and managed to place an order in a store that’s not currently open.
This is my fault. Wanting to keep the product pages live for reference as I set up the new store made them still active if someone managed to go directly to them. But we’re not set up and prepared to ship that order currently. And some of you are reasonably upset about this.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Eventually someone is going to say the hell with complaining about missing orders in online forums and go straight to reporting his sorry ass to the authorities for fraud.

Gusto

Gusto

If I ever happen to run into Scott at a con I'll pick up the Awesomology, because I'd really like to own it.

But I am certainly not gonna order it, at least not until he merges his store with PA's, if ever.

Tress

Tress

It's becoming even more of a vanity strip, which I didn't think he could do. I can't wait until they hire the new handsome and talented Scott Kurtis to show them how to succeed online.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

They won't do anything unless it's on a very large scale. The best you can do is report him to the BBB, and chances are he wouldn't care. He enjoys online publicity, so attacking him online won't matter.

Can you imagine how well he'd be doing if he actually, you know, took this all seriously?
As many times as I've seen complaints on the old halfpixel boards for undelivered merchandise even months later, a few criminal complaints would get his attention. Even if nothing were done, news that it was happening would get out. And spread. And spread.

He doesn't care that he's considered a hack. Once the wider world starts to see him as a thief?

Kovac

Kovac

When I ordered from PvP it was delivered about a month late and he didn't reply to a single email that I sent him.

I wasn't hugely concerned by the slow delivery but the failure to answer basic emails is just asshattery

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Well, I would like to see how he would get Francis or Marcy to move. Francis I assume is suppose to still be living with his mom, and Marcy is attending college, is she not? And will the panda be going with them if PvP does move? Doubt that some of these things will be dealt with in any kind of depth, though. Not the way Kurtz has been handling the comic as of late. Pity too, I really would like the comic to get back to where it could be again.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I need to start modeling Alfie after my own life. Everyone get ready for Alfie to get a job in a bookstore, go back to college, and turn into a 24 year old human.

Gusto

Gusto

Really now, you guys are starting to split hairs. Sometimes a cigar is just et cetera.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I just wanted to get in on the band wagon :(

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That's right, Bumble! Let the hate FLOW through you!

Philosopher B.

Man, I was eating when I came into this thread, quit posting pictures of the pope.

evilmike

evilmike

I stopped reading PVP when I realized that I didn't find the comic particularly entertaining anymore and the only reason I was still checking the site was because I was waiting for schadenfreude that was never going to happen. His shortcomings are never going to result in a proper comeuppance.

So now, I enjoy PVP on a meta-level. It's fun to occasionally hear stories of that wacky Scott and what he has gotten himself into now. It's almost as if he is the comic strip character now.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Did the comic ever behave like it was in a particular city? I knew it was in Dallas, and he was too, but he never acted like these people live there.

phil

phil

They've never done anything that you could only do in Dallas or anything. I had actually assumed they operated in some fictional town or something. It's really going to bother me if he keeps pushing the whole notion of Dallas is not going anywhere or something.

LoL bat is from Dallas too, I guess? Shit.

Hylian

Hylian

My mind...it hurts ....from....reading today's....comic...ouch

Cajungal

Cajungal

I guess that's his way of avoiding a long, whiny divorce arc. Gotta say, I'm glad we were spared. That said, the way we were given this information is very jarring.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Man, what happened to poses and body language? All I'm see is arms firmly clamped to the sides of their bodies and a lot of the camera angles have taken the form of shot reverse shot. Scott's art has improved by a lot, but now it looks like he learned how to frame conversations from George Lucas.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I remember a comic or two about their marriage issues. I guess Scot got bored and skipped the ending for a couple of years.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Their location was established in the Dallas-Fort Worth area early on. One of the old comics is about Donna asking Cole to get tickets to a Rangers baseball game.

Hylian

Hylian

Cole's kids being in college is the part that really throws me. the last time I remember seeing his kids they were probably about 10 years old. Now during the whole wedding/skull leaving/etc story arc the characters aged about 3 years (at least for Francis and Marcy) now if we assume that Cole's kids aged as well than they should only be about 13 or so so how the heck are they in college?

Tress

Tress

It's... similar to Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes
You go wash your mouth out with soap. Don't you ever, ever compare a work of art like Calvin and Hobbes to this dreck.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Cole's kids being in college is the part that really throws me. the last time I remember seeing his kids they were probably about 10 years old. Now during the whole wedding/skull leaving/etc story arc the characters aged about 3 years (at least for Francis and Marcy) now if we assume that Cole's kids aged as well than they should only be about 13 or so so how the heck are they in college?
Yeah, I remember that his daughter was born in one of the early strips (when PVP was still about video games). The series started in 1998, meaning that even if the characters aged in real time (which they don't) then his daughter would only be 13 or 14.

Timmus

Timmus

Wow. I haven't read PvP for two or three years. This latest arc reminds me a little bit of the "All my circuits" movie from Futurama.

Do you want to see Calculon file more paperwork?

Also, Brent seems to be channeling Sally Forth's smug demeanor.

If he set out to prove that webcomics can be just as irrelevant and unfunny as most newspaper comics he's doing a terrific job.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Pardon my facepalm as I read the whole "movin' to Seattle" storyline.

Anyone wanna bet what LOLBat will be swinging around on his invisible rope?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

From Oct. 23:

Butler is his life IN continuity. LOLBAT is his escape out of it. The two don’t mix or interfere and it’s fun to all be in on the secret. And the reveal is so much fun.
So, with the recent crossover into the Kringus storyarc, I guess the two mixing or interfering just went out the window? Or is Scratch vs. Santa considered out of continuity, too?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Anyone wanna bet what LOLBat will be swinging around on his invisible rope?
http://www.pvponline.com/2011/01/11/now-that-you-mansion-it/

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Seriously speaking, I think I'm going to skip PVP for a week or so... because it seems that the move to Seattle will be as momentous an occasion as having a root canal. Robbie just happens to own a mansion in Seattle? Gee... I guess Scott had to come up with some way to keep LOLBat in the picture, because we sure as hell haven't got anything fun out of Robbie and Butler in... how many years now? Not to mention Jase. Where is that bitter former friend anyway? Wasn't he supposed to be living with Robbie again, now that the putz caused Jase's girlfriend to leave him and kick him out of the house? Or did he get run over by a herd of Sumatran redsnout wallabies around the time when Cole went through his divorce?

Gusto

Gusto

To his credit, "Now that you Mansion it" is a pretty ingenious title.

Steve

Steve

Scott mentioned in his blog "2010 was all about pushing my art to the next level and I plan for next year to be about pushing my writing in the same direction." What you are seeing is a renewed focus on his writing. I'm smelling an Eisner award.

Here's the new one: http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20110112.png

Tomorrow's strip:
Jade "Francis don't cry."
Brent and Cole look at each other.
Brent "It's time we told him."
Cole "No. You said you'd never tell."
Brent "We have to. Francis, Cole is your father."
Francis "What?"
Cole "It's true, I hooked up with your mother years ago. You are my son."
Francis "So I can move to Seattle with you. . . DAD!"
Cole "Now for the bad news, I'm also Marcy's dad. You've been tapping your sister."

Gusto

Gusto

Francis is at least 19 years old. And attending a community college only nominally. Hell, that was back in 2008, if time passes at the same rate as it does for Cole's kids then he's probably a graduate by now.

WHY IN THE HELL WOULD HE NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE TO SEATTLE :Leyla:

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20110113.png

looks like tomorrow is just going to end in another "level up" joke

Gusto

Gusto

Do you SEE!?

figmentPez

figmentPez

After this we get to see how Skull takes the news, right? Then they move, and Scratch and Kirby get lost and then have to travel together cross-country to get to Seattle, but Skull is all worried that they'll go back to Dallas....

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20110113.png

looks like tomorrow is just going to end in another "level up" joke
Hope Status: Dashed.

+++ WARNING. WARNING.+++

FACEPALM IMMINENT.

Timmus

Timmus

This is a test of the emergency face palm broadcasting systems.
Please do not adjust your Halforums.
This is a only a test.
...*Ding*...

This concludes our test of the emergency face palm broadcasting system.
In the event of a real face palm event please place the palm of your hand onto your face and audibly sigh.
We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Tress

Tress

Hope Status: Dashed.

+++ WARNING. WARNING.+++

FACEPALM IMMINENT.
You have no one to blame but yourself. Who still has hope that PvP will be good these days? Silly.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

For a face that looks as frazzled as Cole's, I'd kind of expect some arm movement. Scott's art has gotten a lot better, but it got a lot more static, so these dialogue heavy strips are boring to look at.

Timmus

Timmus

These latest strips feel like reading Rex Morgan Md or something. I think Scott should run with it and go full soap opera strip. Those things usually bring the funny albeit unintentionally.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I wonder if Kurtz will continue to wrap up all the characters moving so quickly. I really hope he's not rushing through the move just so he can get to Seattle stories, it really would have been better to have a "one year later..." type thing if he wanted to tell Seattle stories, with the option to go back and show the moving hi-jinks in flashbacks. I really don't want a series of "oh yeah, this character is moving too" strips.
Monday: The Panda
Tuesday: Miranda
Wednesday: Reggie
Thursday: Skull gets nervous about moving (despite having a whole story arc where he shuffled around to different kids)
Friday: Shecky shows up to help Skull get over his anxiety.

Dave

Dave

I keep waiting for Francis to buy a large dog and solve mysteries from the back of a van.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I keep waiting for Francis to buy a large dog and solve mysteries from the back of a van.
Not to mention, smoke herbal cigarettes.

Espy

Espy

I really hope he's not rushing through the move just so he can get to Seattle stories,
I don't think that really matters. I doubt he has any stories that actually need to be set in Seattle outside of the "Oh hey, here we are in Seattle" strip.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If it ever came to that, he'd just go around with either Skull or Kirby to solve mysteries.

KCWM

KCWM

I'm still more entertained by PvP than I am CAD.

Gusto

Gusto

Francis now as two distinct eyeballs without hair constantly getting in the way of of them. I like this art change.

Disconnected

yes instead of the hair hanging in front of his eyes like a scrub, it now defies physics and biology by hanging BEHIND them.
Not sure I think its good or bad yet (can allow for better expression) but it just looks bizarre to me.

Kovac

Kovac

Does this mean that Francis is now older than Marcie or can we assume that she leveled up off strip?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Good question, and are those two the only ones who will ever do the level-up gag? Have the rest of the gang reached max level?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Good question, and are those two the only ones who will ever do the level-up gag? Have the rest of the gang reached max level?
They hit end-game years ago, but they still play too casually to have particularly good gear.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

They still play, but Kurtz quit the guild years ago, and I doubt they'd want him back.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The only thing I can think of with this whole "move to Seattle" thing is that Brent is, obviously, going to be banned from Starbucks (ala how he was banned from the Apple Store).

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Am I strange for NOT wanting to even consider moving to Seattle based on Brent's description?

jwhouk

jwhouk

No. Then again, I wouldn't want to move to Seattle, period.

Steve

Steve

Write what you know in today's PvP: www.pvponline.com

Steve

Steve

I was talking about his flight to Seattle.

jwhouk

jwhouk

What I find amusing is that he still has up on his newspost the advertisement of Girl Genius Day - which happened about a week ago. In a touch of irony (and I may or may not be using the term correctly, but who cares), GG is created and drawn by the husband and wife team of Phil and Kaja Foglio. Phil, of course, has a long, long, LONG history as a comic artist - so long that it's likely he was drawing for Dragon Magazine and the like back before Kurtz even put pen to paper. Comparing the Foglio's operations to that of PvP is somewhat akin to comparing Porsche to Chrysler.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

. Comparing the Foglio's operations to that of PvP is somewhat akin to comparing Porsche to Chrysler.
Assuming you first elevate Kurtz's operations to that of Chrysler. It's more like a few guys in a shed in Birmingham you hear about all the time on Top Gear.

Gusto

Gusto

Dave

Dave

I wish he'd do a week on the people who move into their old offices. The Giant Panda has to stay there and you know that there's a truckload of stale troll farts wafting around somewhere. Add in the fact that strange and supernatural creatures may be stopping by (Shecky for example) and you have a week of totally non-related PvPness that would be awesome.

Disconnected

They hit end-game years ago, but they still play too casually to have particularly good gear.
sounds like my wardrobe

Gusto

Gusto

PVP by Scott Kurtz

I enjoyed today's strip although that last word bubble break's Brad Guigar's First Law of Punchlines.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Scott Kurtz having trouble with panel composition and blocking? Okay Gusto, now you're just making things up.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And here I thought Miranda had grown up. Is Da Kurtz regressing back to 1999, when his comic was relevant or something?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Miranda's posture is atrocious. Girl needs to straighten up

Dave

Dave

Miranda's posture is atrocious. Girl needs to straighten up
She has back trouble. If you know what I mean.

Guys, she's losing her sister and hurt that Jade feels that there's nothing holding her in Texas. Since Miranda doesn't know how to express her emotions like an adult, she falls back into what she knows. I think she's staying true to her character.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I think you nailed it Dave. Old habits die hard.

Steve

Steve

Why doesn't she just move to Seattle, too? The change to Seattle has really changed the landscape of PvP.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is Reggie going to keep his receptionist's job? Is he still alive?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Is Reggie going to keep his receptionist's job? Is he still alive?
Nope. He was killed in a drive-by penciling by the rival Sixth Street Auditors.

It's surprising you missed that, Brent spent a few weeks drinking and then went on a killing spree.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Was that before or after the wedding?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why doesn't she just move to Seattle, too?
Now that's a good question. We don't really know anything about her character that would keep her from moving on a whim, do we?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Everything is big in Texas. And when I say everything, I mean everything.

Steve

Steve

Now that's a good question. We don't really know anything about her character that would keep her from moving on a whim, do we?
http://www.pvponline.com/2011/01/28/over-qualified/ Jade's moving to Seattle! We could have avoided a long drawn out process of showing each character go through the pains of travel with one strip. You have Cole say "I'm tired of living in Texas. We should move." Then Brent replies "What are you talking about? We don't live in Texas. We live in Seattle." Cole: "Since when?" Brent: "Since always. We never knew why you thought we lived in Texas but we all just played along."

figmentPez

figmentPez

Today's strip was a lot of work for a lame joke.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Not to mention a bad boob shot.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Now they need Marcy, Reggie, Sonya (Max's sister), and Gwen (Sonya's lesbian friend) to come on over.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Marcy's at SCAD.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Marcy's at SCAD.
She'll come home on break to find everyone else has left with no forwarding address.

Dave

Dave

She'll come home on break to find everyone else has left with no forwarding address.
No she won't.

that would be funny

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not to mention a bad boob shot.
...and her boobs grew three sizes that day...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

New comic is up...

...and it's about as believable as an army of chipmunk supermodels with rocket boots.

Dave

Dave

Really? Seems to fit Miranda perfectly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's what money is for.

too bad Miranda is nothing more than a whore now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think your spoiler tag essentially explains the author of the strip as well.

It's one thing when you improve the art by adding depth and perspective and all, but if you do nothing to add to the story (see Wapsi Square, Evil Inc.), you're just doing the smoke-and-mirrors routine.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So, did I miss something or is this another relationship that ended offscreen?

Kovac

Kovac

I think it was indeed another off panel event.

I wonder if her breaking up with him caused her to level up.

Tress

Tress

... just when I thought he couldn't get any worse...

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

ahaha. twice! he did it twice! lets see if we can go for the triple, and explain how jayce got involved in organised crime and disappeared forever.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

now, the big story is...

Francis is not wearing a skull.

Kovac

Kovac

Which is odd because he still had the skull after he leveled up.

There is nothing stopping him from changing his shirt I suppose but considering that he grew up by several years in an instant I would have expected the shirt to change at the same time.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Which is odd because he still had the skull after he leveled up.

There is nothing stopping him from changing his shirt I suppose but considering that he grew up by several years in an instant I would have expected the shirt to change at the same time.
Unless it was an heirloom item, he had to replace all his gear. Running crap randoms until he earned enough tokens to get the gear to get into the better instances.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Or, of course, Scott was just too lazy to draw it and didn't.

Hylian

Hylian

I am surprised that Cole and the gang isn't worried that somewhere down the road someone will discover the Savage Dragon's head buried in the basement (from the time where Skull went on a rampage at the mall and punched the Savage Dragon's head off)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Francis couldn't tell the difference between an error message and a text sent by a human? Is this actually the robot Francis?

Zappit

Zappit

He's older now, and doesn't understand those techno-thingies that all the kids talk about.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am so upset, I logged in this morning to read Friday's comic and today's was already up. It is not even 10pm yet.

figmentPez

figmentPez

He's older now, and doesn't understand those techno-thingies that all the kids talk about.
Yes, aging causes retroactive techno-amnesia. Former gaming nerds capable of building humanoid robots suddenly lose all ability to understand technology when the reach the doddering age of 20.

Kurtz you hack. He could at least have made it a real message from Marcy. "Can't talk now. I'm in class." There, a real human message that can be completely misunderstood without having to change what used to be the core of Francis' character.

jwhouk

jwhouk

There is something different about his artwork. It's almost like he's done a Jim Davis number on it.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well, there's the fact that he tries to make his characters more realistic in appearance. Which sometimes works, but mostly... I dunno, doesn't. I don't know why.

Also, I have to say that his choice of using more drab colours lately is kinda off-putting. You know, kinda like in all those video games where the colour scheme involves only rust brown and urban decay grey.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's because he's going for a more realistic style and real is brown

Steve

Steve

For those of you who criticize his writing this was posted on twitter yesterday: Very excited about an article I wrote for webcomics.com about my new writing process. Should go up Tuesday.

I'm intrigued by how he writes his stories and check out Webcomics today where he writes:

Scott Kurtz: Improving my Writing

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 3:13PM
My resolution for the new year is to improve my writing in 2011 as much as I improved my art in 2010. Which is to say that i’m very happy with the levels to which I pushed myself creatively last year when it came to the visual style of PvP. And I want to push myself as hard this year in regards to my writing.
I’ve been unsatisfied with the way I write PvP. I think a part of that is because as artists we try to always keep a nice level of dissatisfaction with our work, just to prevent ourselves from becoming stale. But beyond that, I’ve had a growing sense of dread that PvP is starting to get left behind a bit. I’m seeing a lot of new talent come into the comics scene who are just blowing me away with the way their comedy is constructed and delivered.

There you go. Looking forward his new attention on writing.

Null

Null

Well, he's not wrong, but the muted colors and drab writing don't help. The starkness of black and white was a strength, in a lot of ways.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

For those of you who criticize his writing this was posted on twitter yesterday: Very excited about an article I wrote for webcomics.com about my new writing process. Should go up Tuesday.

I'm intrigued by how he writes his stories and check out Webcomics today where he writes:

Scott Kurtz: Improving my Writing

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 3:13PM
My resolution for the new year is to improve my writing in 2011 as much as I improved my art in 2010. Which is to say that i’m very happy with the levels to which I pushed myself creatively last year when it came to the visual style of PvP. And I want to push myself as hard this year in regards to my writing.
I’ve been unsatisfied with the way I write PvP. I think a part of that is because as artists we try to always keep a nice level of dissatisfaction with our work, just to prevent ourselves from becoming stale. But beyond that, I’ve had a growing sense of dread that PvP is starting to get left behind a bit. I’m seeing a lot of new talent come into the comics scene who are just blowing me away with the way their comedy is constructed and delivered.

There you go. Looking forward his new attention on writing.
That or PvP will be his next Ding!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Is it wrong that I miss Samwise more than Ding!? Honestly... PVP just hasn't done it for me in a long time.

Steve

Steve

Well, you might not get another Samwise story (although I thought he stopped that strip to focus on a graphic novel in addition to the children's book he was writing) but we will get his new strip "The Trenches" coming soon.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Prediction: by 2013, the entire cast will have been replaced by Scratch and an assortment of wacky cat side characters. Kurts then rips his face off to reveal he's been Jim Davis all along.

evilmike

evilmike

Prediction: by 2013, the entire cast will have been replaced by Scratch and an assortment of wacky cat side characters. Kurts then rips his face off to reveal he's been Jim Davis all along.
Great minds... :)

https://www.halforums.com/threads/why-dont-we-talk-about-pvp-anymore.18842/#post-644375

I had a thought about PVP the other day -- is it possible that it has become the webcomic equivalent of Garfield, the Wizard of Id, or Hagar the Horrible? Basically, it's a comic that can continue forever and be profitable, but it's never going to reach the same creative highs as it once did?

I vaguely remember an article that Kurtz posted about several years ago about Garfield. I *think* the main thesis was that Jim Davis made a conscious decision about scaling back on the omnipresence of Garfield and basically have something that was successful, but not too successful. That way, it would limit popular backlash and have long term sustainability. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.) This half-remembered article got me wondering if this had happened to PVP either by accident or design.
Though, really, with what I've heard of the comic of late, I have to wonder if it is now trying to become the Funky Winkerbean of webcomics.

Steve

Steve

http://www.pvponline.com/ Don't know what it is but I'm diggin' Hungry Cat. Something about the way he's drawn that I really like.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I, on the other hand, dislike him. But then again I dislike this whole bastardization of Calvin & Hobbes in the first place...

Disconnected

hungry cat is hilarious. please note hungry cat has not said anything.
scratch and pvp are not hilarious. my brain cannot align the 2 appearing together into laughter.
this whole arc is better without scratch's dialogue. try it.

Kovac

Kovac

Hylian

Hylian

Don't mock his weight that is just poor taste

Gusto

Gusto

Kovac

Kovac

hungry cat is hilarious. please note hungry cat has not said anything.
scratch and pvp are not hilarious. my brain cannot align the 2 appearing together into laughter.
this whole arc is better without scratch's dialogue. try it.

Null

Null

So Mike Krahulik tweeted that he and kurtz were going to start a sketch project, and wanted a theme to draw from. I suggested they do a "where are they now?" for all the other projects Kurtz never finished.

So now I'm on their blocked list.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Don't mock his weight that is just poor taste
Who made you the Tastemaker?

Null

Null

Incidentally, the theme they chose was "Gandalf" - I'll bet you right now that Mike does a new character design, while Kurtz recycles one of his characters as Gandalf - very possibly Max Powers.

Kovac

Kovac

I wasn't so much mocking his weight as noting how the fatcat arc could be seen as being marginally being true to life.

And anyway, as a fat person I get a pass on mocking other fat people :p

It's like how jews can make jew jokes

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is that necessarily a fat joke? Kurtz has set himself up as part of the elite of webcomics. Why not portray an influential celebrity as a "fat cat"?

Hylian

Hylian

We make fun of drug addicts, why not food addicts?

He makes fun of... Well, everyone, including himself. You don't need to white knight for him, he can take a good natured ribbing.

I don't know it just feels like a cheap shot. It seems that whenever someone wants to make fun of Scott they pull out the weight card. I mean he does have his fault and he is a bit over weight but so are a lot of people. I just think that there is plenty of other material to use rather going straight for the fat jokes. But I do see your point that we make fun of a lot of other people for their faults but as I said it just seems a bit cheap since it is one of the default card people use to insult him.

Null

Null

I see what you did there.

Piotyr

Piotyr

True, it's an old and tired joke, and given there's so much other material to work with I'm surprised people aren't disgorging new jokes from such an abundant source of entertainment. It's a matter that should be treated with more gravitas, but these are, after all, the masses we're talking about, and they enjoy feasting on poor jokes as well as scrumptious jokes.
That was a bit heavy handed.

Disconnected

I wasn't so much mocking his weight as noting how the fatcat arc could be seen as being marginally being true to life.

And anyway, as a fat person I get a pass on mocking other fat people :p

It's like how jews can make jew jokes
Fatso's unite!!

Also thanks for the removal of the speech bubbles. It's not perfect without them but I still say its better than with.

Steve

Steve

I thought there would be more to this arc. After a week of hungry cat trying to kidnap a doll they all either fall asleep or die. I'm not sure which. Now we are in Seattle.

Tress

Tress

I thought there would be more to this arc.
Well, I think I just found the problem.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is hungry cat in Seattle or D/FW? It would be great if Skull left his cat behind.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay, today's comic? With the Fremont Troll? Better than usual.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Okay, today's comic? With the Fremont Troll? Better than usual.
Meh. I just got the feeling of someone who didn't really belong trying to kiss Seattle's ass.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Why do I get the feeling that this will somehow be a convoluted scam by Shecky?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I still await the comic where Brent runs through every room of the new office yelling...

PANDA!!!!

Tress

Tress

I actually thought this one was funny!

So now we know what happened to the panda.

Gusto

Gusto

In the interest of fairplay, I've actually thoroughly enjoyed this past week's PVP strips. It feels like a return to form.

It's even nice to see Francis wearing something besides black and white all the time.

Steve

Steve

I agree with Gusto. This week has been a fun week. It's almost as if Scott is enjoying writing for these characters again.

Espy

Espy

The hipsters were... EXCELLENT.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I thought the panda storming off with his entire kiosk was the best gag this week.

Gusto

Gusto

I tweeted Kurtz, telling him that I really thought Cole and Francis should be covered in bandages, due to the scalding results of their foolish high five antics.

I doubt it'll happen but the idea that they would be horribly burned and just be in bandages on Monday, never really mentioning it, is hilarious to me.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I don't think Kurtz would like any suggestions from this forum community. But eh, he might be a bigger man than I thought of and I just realized that could be read as a poke at him as well.

Man, you just can't win, now can ya?

Cajungal

Cajungal

The coffee high five was great. The looks on their faces coupled with the ridiculousness of it just made me chuckle. :D

Null

Null

I just don't see why Kurtz can't get comics done on time. There is no reason that, if he buckled down for eight hours and just worked on his fucking comic, he couldn't get a few days worth done. At least the pencil and inking stage.

Maybe I'm being ignorant about the art here. Artists of the forum, is there enough going with the art in his strip that it should take ten or twelve hours to do?

Yes, I'm bitching about a free comic, but it is also Kurtz' day job, and if you're going to make your living at something, shouldn't it be what you put your best efforts in to?

It just pisses me off that I go to check the comic, it's like midnight on the east coast, and it still hasn't updated for that day yet. I'm sorry, but if your comic isn't up by noon at your local time, you're late for the day, not, "Well, it's I got it posted at 11:59pm my time, so technically it's still on time." That's bullshit.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is a bit unprofessional, but I now come to expect to read today's comic tomorrow. He just does not update them before I get of work anymore.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I just get it in an RSS feed. If he doesn't post it, I don't even notice.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

He posted once how his own father ripped him a new one about having a buffer. If Dad can't convince him to get his shit together, only a severe beating will.

drifter

drifter

Artists of the forum, is there enough going with the art in his strip that it should take ten or twelve hours to do?
Strictly in terms of inking and coloring the strip, no (but this does not include taking breaks to play ping-pong with the PA guys). However, the planning stages can take a while, and I get the impression that Kurtz tends to not work out stories/layouts ahead of time. He has made some noise about working on his writing, so maybe it'll get better.

Null

Null

He's made noise about a lot of things - working on a buffer, taking weekends off to concentrate of the week's strips, other projects - but he has no follow-through. He's worse than me golfing.

Gusto

Gusto

Today PATV showed Scott moving to the new annex of the Penny Arcade offices, specifically because he says being in the middle of the action and all his best friends is really detrimental to getting anything done. I'm inferring from that statement that he's been falling further behind little by little ever since joining te PA crew in Seattle and is now working to correct it.

Gusto

Gusto

Pffft. Only if they also kicked out Robert Khoo and Brian Sunter, their business manager and warehouse manager, respectively.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Those freeloaders!

Null

Null

The story is always changing with that guy. First, it was "working with other artists will really revitalize my creative juices and give me that push to do better", now it's "I'm too distracted." I'm guessing that Khoo, et al, kept telling him to, you know, work on his comic.

Disconnected

you guys just can't process his winning.

also: I don't care what he does with his comic, but yeah the making promises he can't keep thing is annoying.

Steve

Steve

I just don't see why Kurtz can't get comics done on time.
Artists of the forum, is there enough going with the art in his strip that it should take ten or twelve hours to do?
I wonder how many extra page views he gets by posting the strip late? Depending on how late the strip is I've hit his site four or five times an evening until the strip is up. Not sure how google ads compensates but if it's by page views then he's a genius.
Regarding how long it takes him to produce the strip, he can knock one out fairly quick. He takes it live so you can watch him from start to finish and its just a few hours.
By now nobody really should be complaining about this. Anyone who has followed him for any number of years knows full well that he pushes his stated deadline. I've just come to expect it so it's a non issue for me.

Tress

Tress

The story is always changing with that guy. First, it was "working with other artists will really revitalize my creative juices and give me that push to do better", now it's "I'm too distracted." I'm guessing that Khoo, et al, kept telling him to, you know, work on his comic.
I wonder if the PA crew regret letting him move up there? I can't imagine they enjoy having him around ALL THE TIME.

Gusto

Gusto

What? They're friends. What is this.

Adam

Adammon

Kurtz totally sounds like George Lucas.

Also, Khoo is my hero.

Tress

Tress

What? They're friends. What is this.
You've never had a friend that suddenly annoyed the shit out of you once you worked together or lived together? There's a world of difference between hanging out once in a while and seeing him everyday.

MindDetective

MindDetective

You've never had a friend that suddenly annoyed the shit out of you once you worked together or lived together? There's a world of difference between hanging out once in a while and seeing him everyday.
In the latest PATV, they were lamenting Scott's move to the annex. They specifically said they spent a lot of time in his office.

LittleSin

LittleSin

In the latest PATV, they were lamenting Scott's move to the annex. They specifically said they spent a lot of time in his office.
Yeh. So it sounds like it may have been the vice versa.

Kovac

Kovac

So you might have noticed that there was no new strip on Friday and today was also short a new installment of PvP. I wanted to thank all my readers for being understanding around con time. With friends coming into and leaving town, the prep work, the con itself…it’s hard to maintain a normal schedule.
A convention is not a valid excuse for not maintaining a regular release schedule. Aside from the fact that he should have some kind of buffer or guest strips, conventions don't just drop out of the goddamn sky and he should have been able to account for it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

A convention is not a valid excuse for not maintaining a regular release schedule. Aside from the fact that he should have some kind of buffer or guest strips, conventions don't just drop out of the goddamn sky and he should have been able to account for it.
Bah, there is no accounting for tastemakers.

Espy

Espy

Bah, there is no accounting for tastemakers.
Indeed.

Gusto

Gusto

Today's strip made me laugh. :)

Espy

Espy

Are you sure?

Gusto

Gusto

Yes.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

We have a store called Headcase Hats here in Edmonton (the title of the strip was Head Case), and they even have a sign that says something very much like "Hats make statement without saying a word". I think I'll have to show them this strip.

Gusto

Gusto

You should take a picture and send it to Scott as well.

The phrase "next to that goddamned hat store" on the flyer is what got me. :D

Dave

Dave

The strip doesn't make sense. The dood is obviously wearing a hat under his hoodie. Not a fedora or anything like that, but it's a hat!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But a tuque is not quite a hat.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I thought this strip was actually pretty funny. It might be because I've seen hipsters arguing about it in public. It's apparently like a secret hipster divide that may lead to splitters and civil war.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Wow, that latest strip is a ripoff of the IFC series Portlandia. That character and the "It's over" line are straight out that series.

Would be nice if Kurtz would mention that.

drifter

drifter

Eh, to be fair part of the fun of obscure references is the fact that they're, well, obscure. Kurtz is just staying true to his new hipster roots :p

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I don't know if Kurtz is specifically ripping off Portlandia or not, but they definitely didn't invent the phrase "it's over". Mocking of hipsters is hardly new. :p

Null

Null

The real question is whether today's strip will be up before 4am tomorrow.

Disconnected

The real question is whether today's strip will be up before 4am tomorrow.
"the computer says noooooo."

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If Dave brings back Halbucks, we could set up a pool.

Dave

Dave

Someday....someday....

Disconnected

motherfucker proved the computer wrong

Null

Null

Sort of. I mean, I guess that whole hat thing wasn't going anywhere after all?

Tress

Tress

Kurtz said:
I won’t be publishing a strip tomorrow while I travel, but I will have a new LOLbat coloring book page on Friday and Monday, with higher-res PDFs available to download and color yourself. So enjoy! Here is today’s page for your coloring pleasure.
What.the.fuck.

Get some guest strips, or do some strips ahead of time. Lazy bastard. If this was something on the side for him, I would understand. But it's his full-time job. Be professional, for goodness sake. If LICD can do it, so can you.

Null

Null

What.the.fuck.

Get some guest strips, or do some strips ahead of time. Lazy bastard. If this was something on the side for him, I would understand. But it's his full-time job. Be professional, for goodness sake. If LICD can do it, so can you.
That's kind of been my point. And unlike Sohmer, or Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary (the man with the legendary buffer), or the guys from Penny Arcade, Kurtz doesn't have a kid to take care of, either. By definition, he has much more free time than his partners, and yet he is the worst at updating in a timely manner.

And you know, he's had a few ideas that could have developed into something more, to allow him to work on a bunch of strips in a row - how about the Fremont Troll telling Skull his story, if he's supposed to be an actual troll turned to stone? There's a week or so of strips. How about Brent going on a quest to obtain Panda Brew coffee, using a variety of wacky disguises and ruses? There's a few quick and easy gags, perfect for con season.

No, instead we miss four strips and get two fucking LOLBats.

Disconnected

fuck you
:csi:
it's funny.

(actually it's not)

Steve

Steve

Keep in mind "The Trenches", his new strip, is just around the corner. And I believe he mentioned awhile back he was also working on a Skull children's book and a graphic novel with his fantasy character (the dwarf-I don't remember his name). I'm amazed with all those projects in the works he's able to give us one strip a week let alone a free downloadable coloring book page.

Null

Null

Ah yes, The Trenches. So you figure it'll make a dozen updates before he starts making excuses about why he doesn't have the time to work on it?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Normally I find the usual railing on Kurtz here sad, but seriously, enough with the fucking LOLBat already.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Normally I find the usual railing on Kurtz here sad, but seriously, enough with the fucking LOLBat already.
This. So effing much this.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Nothing says "I fucking hate my fans" more than LolBat.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I tend to like LOLBat, but I agree with you. It's not just too often, it's also been done poorly as filler strips. LOLBat should come out when Kurtz has a fitting gag that's just too good to pass up on, not when he needs a quick idea. If Kurtz had to do a couple of sketch fillers, why didn't he do a hipster coloring book? At least it would have continued the theme of the current story-arc. A hipster paper-doll might be downright hilarious.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If Kurtz had to do a couple of sketch fillers, why didn't he do a hipster coloring book?
Hipster Coloring Books: The only ones where your supposed to color outside the lines.

Alternatively, it comes pre-colored and your just supposed to make demeaning comments about how coloring books aren't as good as they used to be.

makare

I hate lolbat. Didn't that strip used to have characters?

Baerdog

Baerdog

Characters are so last decade.

evilmike

evilmike

Characters are so last decade.
And, thus, a new arch-foe was created for LOLBAT -- The Hipster.

Dave

Dave

Now that would be timely and new! But a Hipster would never actually DO anything evil. They don't have time for that and actually doing evil is OVER!

evilmike

evilmike

Now that would be timely and new! But a Hipster would never actually DO anything evil. They don't have time for that and actually doing evil is OVER!
And this is a good thing because LOLBAT is largely powerless against the Hipster. "An Invisible Chainsaw? What are you, like 12?"

Baerdog

Baerdog

Null

Null

Well, it's been a week since his last actual strip. Any thoughts as to what the excuse is going to be? PAX wore him out, Con Crud, etc?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, it's been a week since his last actual strip. Any thoughts as to what the excuse is going to be? PAX wore him out, Con Crud, etc?
"I slept through my 40th in a sick haze. Does that mean I'm still 39?"
Kurtz tweet

Null

Null

"I slept through my 40th in a sick haze. Does that mean I'm still 39?"
Kurtz tweet
Articulating the disgust he generates is currently beyond me. And you know, I get that he's annoyed that his doctors and strangers keep telling him to lose weight - I get that, too. "Yeah, doc, I know I need to lose weight, but could we deal with the strep infection first?" But the fact of the matter is that the doctors are right - if his system wasn't already strained by his weight and general poor condition, he'd probably be able to fight off colds better. Respiratory infections especially - you know how bad fat guys breathe already.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

His birthdays quit on him just like he quit on everyone else.

He doesn't like it when people compare him to Buckley. Could it be that he's really worse?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Aren't you assuming a lot from a few tweets? We have no idea what his wife, friends, and doctor are actually telling him, or what that conversation is really like.
It's not like there isn't tons of stuff to get annoyed at him for already.

Steve

Steve

Scott tweeted: I feel surprisingly good after such an intense weekend. Not sure if I'm sick or just beaten and worn.
FordD replied: if you don't lose the weight you'll get more sick more often as you get older. We wanna see u make it into Stan Lee territory
Scott retored: thank you Doctor shut the fuck up. Thin people get sick when they shake 200 hands in a weekend too you twat. #offensive
So yeah, I'd say he's probably tired of people bringing up his weight. I couldn't imagine being at a convention, shaking hundreds of hands (remember every time you shake a hand you are shaking hands with everyone that hand shook hands with) and not get sick. FordD took a cheap shot at Scott and Kurtz served him up a slice of STFU.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Y'know what, Scott? Too fucking bad. You're gonna hear it whether you like it or not until you do finally get your head out of your ass and do something about it.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I thought he'd stopped shaking hands at cons and just did that stupid head nod thing instead. Am I the only one who remembers this?

Of course, that FordD guy is right on the money.

Gusto

Gusto

That was a joke. And there is no joking on the internet. Someone will always take it seriously, no matter how far out you go.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think myself a fool for believing anyone who said "Kurtz is dead to me now" or any variation of that 2 or so years ago.

Gusto

Gusto

Also, while I agree that Scott should have built up a buffer and had strips for the week or so he was in Boston, getting on his case for being sick after a con is just a lame attempt to troll him.

I hate feeling like I'm constantly playing the Kurtz defense force here because he honestly does stuff that I can't explain, but man, some people like to jump down a guy's throat.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Could it be he's decided to go the VGCats route and use the weekly cons as an excuse not to update?

Steve

Steve

He did say he was through shaking hands but he bowed to pressure and decided to do it at this con. I would assume he will go back to the fist bump. I agree with his "no shaking hands" stance. I am a bit of a germaphobe and hate shaking one persons hand let alone a lot of people. If I shake someone's hand I can't relax until I get to a sink and wash it. Any fan of Scott's knows he's not a handshaker and shouldn't get too upset if he just bumps.

Null

Null

People wouldn't be "jumping down the guy's throat" if this shit didn't happen ALL THE DAMN TIME.

When was the last time he had a strip up before noon? Says he's gonna build a buffer so this isn't a problem, but he doesn't. In addition? This is his full time job. This is how he earns his living, and he can't be bothered to do it in a timely manner. Then he gets pissy when people question him about it. Hey, you get sick after cons? How about not doing them on consecutive weekends - ECCC and PAX East one right after the other. Make the hard choice and say, "Well, I'd really like to go, but with my health and my workload, I have to stay home from this one."

And even though he can't keep up to date on his day job, he's got another strip in the works?

Espy

Espy

I always thought Scott would do much better to go to a m-w-f schedule. I mean, not because I don't think he can't do MTWTF, I know he can if he wants to, but I never really thought he wanted to. I'm not even entirely sure he wants to do PVP at all. Maybe if he just cut it down he could actually handle it and still have time for the stuff that energizes him.

Tress

Tress

I always thought Scott would do much better to go to a m-w-f schedule. I mean, not because I don't think he can't do MTWTF, I know he can if he wants to, but I never really thought he wanted to. I'm not even entirely sure he wants to do PVP at all. Maybe if he just cut it down he could actually handle it and still have time for the stuff that energizes him.
That was the exact same argument he gave us when he cut out the weekend strips. That did nothing. He's still late all the time, and he still makes excuses constantly. The problem is that he won't put in the work to do it correctly. No change of schedule would fix that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll repeat, if his own damn father can't get him off his ass, only physical violence will have any effect at this point.

Dave

Dave

I'll repeat, if his own damn father can't get him off his ass, only physical violence will have any effect at this point.
These statements reflect the opinion of this specific user of Halforums and is not necessarily the opinion of the owners, management or staff.

Null

Null

I don't advocate violence against Kurtz, because let's face it, any time he spends in the hospital or at physical therapy isn't exactly going to speed up his schedule... aside from the fact that it's absurd, of course.

But what makes it so frustrating is that Scott is supposed to be a professional - PVP is his job. And he can't be bothered to do it. There's always a new explanation and it's never his fault. He's supposed to be focusing on his writing - and yet we've had three storylines so far that could have been extended, all of them curtailed for more fucking LOLBat. Was the Fremont Troll an actual troll, or was Skull actually talking to a homeless dude or something? Did Brent just give up on seeking out the incredible Panda Brew after one rejection, or did the Panda close up shop entirely? Did the coffee crowd not notice, even though we had saw locals discussing it at length? We've had Cole getting way into movies, and trying new looks - is this part of him trying to start over after the divorce? That could have some meat on it - but no, let's just fart out some more goddamn LOLBAT.

Krisken

Krisken

I think myself a fool for believing anyone who said "Kurtz is dead to me now" or any variation of that 2 or so years ago.
Heh, too true. Some people just can't let this go, I guess.

Meh, get a bottle of Purell and stop bitching about getting sick, I say.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

These statements reflect the opinion of this specific user of Halforums and is not necessarily the opinion of the owners, management or staff.
A) I never said it would come from me, and 2) It could be as simple a cuff upside the head and a sharp "what the fuck's your problem?".

In a related event right before I came in, Kurtz was all about how cool digital distribution was...

@pvponline said:
When are these knuckleheads going to realize that digital comics don't require distributors or retailers? Or Trucks. Or Boxes.
And I fire back with...

@darkaudit said:
@pvponline But it *does* require content delivered in a timely manner.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You do realize you are fighting a battle you can't win, dontcha DA?

Without starting a Kurtz rant here, it is quite obvious that this constant tardiness and lack of a decent buffer of comics have become something of a modus operandi for him. So I doubt one snarky comment from one person online is going to force him to change said M.O. Especially since after the forum bombing all those years ago we parted ways in a less than cordial manner.

Espy

Espy

Oh man let me tell you guys about the time that Garfield was late and I went over the Jim Davis' house and I kicked that guys ass. Have you ever see Garfield late since then?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh man let me tell you guys about the time that Garfield was late and I went over the Jim Davis' house and I kicked that guys ass. Have you ever see Garfield late since then?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO.
Is that why it sucks so bad?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Espy, that doesn't do anything. Garfield is done entirely by assistants, and most of the work Jim Davis does is related to licensing and merchandising.

Espy

Espy

To be honest Allen, I wasn't even sure it was Jim Davis' house I was in. I just walked down the block and beat up some guy and told him to make sure I got my Garfield on time.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You do realize you are fighting a battle you can't win, dontcha DA?

Without starting a Kurtz rant here, it is quite obvious that this constant tardiness and lack of a decent buffer of comics have become something of a modus operandi for him. So I doubt one snarky comment from one person online is going to force him to change said M.O. Especially since after the forum bombing all those years ago we parted ways in a less than cordial manner.
Maybe it will at least stop his "ZOMG! digital distribution is sooooooo cool!!!1!!elebenty!!!" kick he's on right now.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Just stop reading it. Why are you guys reading his comic and following him on Twitter if everything he does and says angers you?

These complaints all have simple answers, and yet, a lot of you seem more content to torture yourselves and put up with someone you clearly have no interest in putting up with!

I check it every weekday, and every now and then it makes me laugh.

There weren't any updates this week? It didn't even register on my "give-a-fuck" meter.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a once-a-week comic, that's slightly more entertaining than watching bees fuck, to work on.

Krisken

Krisken

Damn it, I want to see that bee fucking.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'd imagine bees fucking would be entertaining. Bumble, what is it like?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Tune in to next week's installment of fistful of fists.

Espy

Espy

Wait todays PVP has bee's fucking? Damn. Scott really went to some weird places.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Kurtz fucks bees? Does his depravity know no bounds?!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

No no no... you're all thinking this week's Pibgorn.

Kovac

Kovac

Just stop reading it. Why are you guys reading his comic and following him on Twitter if everything he does and says angers you?
As usual there is an xkcd strip which is relevent

Dave

Dave

He came back today...like a boss!

http://www.pvponline.com/2011/03/17/bffs/

Hylian

Hylian

Although today's comic is similar to one of his recent strips I still rather enjoyed it

Disconnected

I do hope he is not shitting on Deborah's desk.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Who's Deborah? And why would Kurtz be taking a dump on her desk?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Because he is the boss.

Espy

Espy

I enjoy being A Boss.

Null

Null

Bumble,

I'm mad because the strip used to be pretty good, and has shown now and then signs of greatness, but the owner just doesn't seem to give a fuck anymore. I'm mad because he promises new directions and new experiments, and then gives up on them after a couple weeks. I'm mad because he's a creative person with the ability and talent to do better, and he can't be bothered, but he's still making a living off of it. I actually think that last bit is the worst part - if this was just something he was doing on the side, then, you know, all's fair. But this is his day job. This is his how he pays the rent. Do you think your boss would be okay with it if you were constantly 4 to 12 hours late for work? If you stopped coming in half the week and didn't call in? I mean, he is literally doing what he supposed loves doing, as his main job, and he can't be fucking bothered.

Meanwhile he blasts everyone else around for what he thinks they're doing wrong, and even when he's got a point, he's got no fucking room to talk.

Then on top of it, he gets nominated for awards. Maybe he deserves them, maybe not. But the fact that he is one the 'webcartoonist elite' despite just kind of limping along really rankles.

The reason I keep reading? Because I want to see him do better. Because it's clear that if he just buckled down and really put some effort into it, he could do an awesome comic.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You hate him because you love him? :awesome:

Null

Null

What his work could be. And because I envy his success, obviously.

Philosopher B.

Kurtz's just zis guy, you know?

R

Raemon777

Todays was pretty awesome. (And yes, it was similar to another recent one, and that was the POINT. I like the new "high five" running gag.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I'm okay with running gags.

I still miss when Skull used to stand guard outside the door while Brent and Francis were _______________ and didn't want Cole to find out..

Piotyr

Piotyr

Actually, if you listen to the latest PATV 4th panel, Jerry and Mike brainstorm with Scott and Kris, and Scott mentions that he has no idea what to do with PvP now, and that it's grown stale to him. He spent 12 years resolving every conflict every character had, and now he's left with nothing to drive the plot/characters.

Of course, after brainstorming with Jerry and Mike, they get the idea to
fire Cole
, which I assume he'll use fairly soon (and possibly abandon within a week).

Gusto

Gusto

Today's Saturday strip was good! And according to Scott's Twitter, it's the start of an important storyline.

We may see Piotyr's PATV spoiler come true!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Today's Saturday strip was good! And according to Scott's Twitter, it's the start of an important storyline.

We may see Piotyr's PATV spoiler come true!
It could've come true yesterday with a frank admission and that strip and it would've been the perfect ending. Riding into the sunset with Kirby with no regrets.

Steve

Steve

SWEET!!! Marcy is moving to Seattle: http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20110320.png

Gusto

Gusto

Good comic too. :)

Null

Null

Alright, this is more like it. If he can keep them coming consistently, and actually follow through with his plotline, I'll take back of some of what I said.

Adam

Adammon

Alright, this is more like it. If he can keep them coming consistently, and actually follow through with his plotline, I'll take back of some of what I said.
Jesus you're fickle. If I owned a nerd establishment, you'd be the first person I'd toss out of my store.

makare

Adammon would keep his nerd establishment well stocked but even though the schedule on the door would say open every day from 8-5 it would actually only be open for an hour, but not the same hour consistently, every Wednesday.

Adam

Adammon

Adammon would keep his nerd establishment well stocked but even though the schedule on the door would say open every day from 8-5 it would actually only be open for an hour, but not the same hour consistently, every Wednesday.
I think the analogy would more appropriately be that I would have a nerd establishment that contained a whole bunch of stuff that people wanted, and I gave it away for free. And occasionally I would run out of the EXACT thing you wanted, so you'd come in and take a great big shit on my floor. And then I'd clean that shit up. And you'd come in the next day, and find something else that you found amazing and kiss my ass telling me how brilliant I was.

Then the next day, you'd come in and shit on my floor again while telling me that you're only doing that because it 'makes me a better business person' somehow.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

My nerd establishment would have blackjack and hookers.

Adam

Adammon

My nerd establishment would have blackjack and hookers.
And hopefully good bathrooms.

Gusto

Gusto

I would never be so foolish as to open a nerd establishment.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

The hookers will be called "companions" because I understand nerds really like Firefly.

R

Raemon777

I seriously wish there were night clubs that played Weird Al.

makare

I think the analogy would more appropriately be that I would have a nerd establishment that contained a whole bunch of stuff that people wanted, and I gave it away for free. And occasionally I would run out of the EXACT thing you wanted, so you'd come in and take a great big shit on my floor. And then I'd clean that shit up. And you'd come in the next day, and find something else that you found amazing and kiss my ass telling me how brilliant I was.

Then the next day, you'd come in and shit on my floor again while telling me that you're only doing that because it 'makes me a better business person' somehow.

If I shit on your floor I promise to only do it during your proper one hour on Wednesday's business hour.

Null

Null

Jesus you're fickle. If I owned a nerd establishment, you'd be the first person I'd toss out of my store.
My problem is that his work is inconsistent and untimely, that he doesn't put the effort in. Now that he's not just doing random gags instead of building towards anything, and he's managed to get a strip up for the last few days, I'm willing to give him a chance. If he stays consistent through the next couple weeks, that'll be a different situation than 2 weeks with 4 late strips and bad filler, which is what we were getting.

You say fickle, I say that if he actually mends the problems I have with his work, I won't have a problem. And if you owned a nerd establishment, I wouldn't shop there cause the owner's a dickhead.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And I think you've hit upon the real reason why he's so militantly against newspapers and syndicates. It's not about intellectual property, creator's rights, or any of that smokescreen. It's because they work on a deadline. And he couldn't be held to one if his life depended on it.

Dave

Dave

Anyone else think Marcy is going to look amazing? I mean, she's probably leveled up, too.

Zappit

Zappit

Eh. It's his comic - if he's going to take the time to do it better (It happens when you experiment with art styles, which he is doing lately.) - and by no means does that make me a Kurtz apologist - but I can at least see why the schedule's gotten erratic. The more detailed backgrounds - the coloring book pages - the guy's developing a new thing for himself. It's his product to make or break. He just seems to want to do so much that he's pulling himself in different directions. I went through the same thing when Pixel went on hiatus.

LittleSin

LittleSin

So, thought on the new Marcy design?

I for one like it. Its very bad ass looking and really does remind me of a lot of my friends that just came back art school. She also looks quite a bit like that chick that works in the PA offices...what's her name again?

EDIT: Well look at that! She WAS the inspiration for the design. Erika! That's her name!

pvponline Scott Kurtz
For those curious, yes. @egreco was a huge influence on the new Marcy "leveled up" design. #bottomlessfriendship#bottomlessinspiration

Gusto

Gusto

I'm not a big fan. It might grow on me, and I know he was influenced by Erica, but tis honestly looks nothing like the last Marcy iteration.

For comparison:

LittleSin

LittleSin

I can see it. As was discussed in a previous thread, women go through puberty straight on until 25. I know lots of my friends who had pudgy face in high school who now have very narrow, slender faces. Breast size also changes but we can't judge that just yet.

Gusto

Gusto

The combination of change in face-shape, and the lack of lips and glasses make it seem off.

If this new version didn't have red hair (or if the comic was still in black and white) I'd have no idea who it was.

These have been, as always, my opinions.

makare

I can't make a value judgment since I dislike the entire artistic direction he has taken. I don't think any of it looks good. :(

Dave

Dave

...I like it.

I'm sorry.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Why is everyone losing their glasses :(

InB4 Cole goes through corrective eye surgery and we get a week of bandaged/blind Cole strips

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Yeah, that needs to happen when there's a movie release Cole is really looking forward to.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

And Brent gets him to sign a contract of some kind, BUT IT TOTALLY DOESN'T SAY WHAT BRENT TELLS COLE IT SAYS!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

And Jade doesn't approve of Brent's scheme.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

And Skull must stand outside Brent's door to keep Jade out.

Gusto

Gusto

Whilst wearing a fez.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I don't know. I think Francis and Skull are off in the background, consulting with each other about how to take advantage of Cole's blindness. When they finally decide on how to do it, Cole will be able to see again.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

And then somebody video games their video games until their video games video games. VIDEO GAMEEEEEEEEESS!

makare

Id be happy if they didnt all have huge bizarre bug eyes and creepy upper lips.

Gusto

Gusto

And then somebody video games their video games until their video games video games. VIDEO GAMEEEEEEEEESS!
Maybe Bumble's right maybe video games.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Meanwhile, Scratch is making "Cadburus," his giant robotic confectionery monster suit which he will use to battle the Easter Bunny.

Gusto

Gusto

Meanwhile, Scratch is making "Cadburus," his giant robotic confectionery monster suit which he will use to battle the Easter Bunny.
That would actually be incredible.

Espy

Espy

Yeah I thought that was just some random person at first.

Hylian

Hylian

While it doesn't look bad it also doesn't strike me as looking at all like Marcy

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm confused, I think the new Marcy looks like some sort of anime elf-thing. Her hair keeps making me think of Dragonball Z.

Shakey

Shakey

I'm confused, I think the new Marcy looks like some sort of anime elf-thing. Her hair keeps making me think of Dragonball Z.
Same here. I thought it was a guy at first.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The comment in yesterday's strip clinched who it was for me.

Marcy has gone through so many style changes, she could have shown up looking like Liz Taylor and it wouldn't have surprised me.

And a +1 for the Francis "D'aawwwwww" moment.

Gusto

Gusto

I really don't like this character design. :I Oh well.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Are you sure, Gusto? I'm getting a strong Red vibe from her.

Gusto

Gusto

I prefer Kat over Red anyway.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm still liking it. The hair is a little odd but its probably going to take him a few strips to get the design down pat.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I prefer Kat over Red anyway.
I like the way you think.

00000331.jpg

Gusto

Gusto

We all bin junk.

Cajungal

Cajungal

And I think you've hit upon the real reason why he's so militantly against newspapers and syndicates. It's not about intellectual property, creator's rights, or any of that smokescreen. It's because they work on a deadline. And he couldn't be held to one if his life depended on it.
And that's the very first time anyone here's come to that conclusion, too. :awesome:

Anyway, I think it's kind of a cool new look. I prefer it to her last level-up.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I understand that people grow, change, and evolve over time... but when your making a visual medium, it's pretty important that the people reading/watching said material can identify the characters. This is simply too drastic a change... I'm not saying it won't work in the end, but it's definitely confusing.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Anyone else been seeing an almost Ritz-like vibe from Francis' looks lately?

Maybe it's just the hair..? Maybe it's just me..

Zappit

Zappit

Eh, we're only going to see Marcy for what - two more days before this story gets dropped?

Kovac

Kovac

Fixed for accuracy

Dave

Dave

That edit makes me think another Frank Cho strip might be upcoming. Bring on the Cho!!

Gusto

Gusto

No see that's just not fair.

Why you gotta go there.

Kovac

Kovac

No see that's just not fair.

Why you gotta go there.
She went away to art college and came back with that haircut.

Why do you think?

Zappit

Zappit

She went away to art college and came back with that haircut.

Why do you think?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I hope her BF is a really great guy that Francis loves

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK, really what the hell is that bright pink thing on Francis' face? Is that a wart, a skin tag? I don't get it...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

OK, really what the hell is that bright pink thing on Francis' face? Is that a wart, a skin tag? I don't get it...
NOSE!

[/rogerrabbitvoice]
Added at: 19:36
Eh, we're only going to see Marcy for what - two more days before this story gets dropped?
I dunno, Zaps. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'm really hoping - yes, hoping against hope - Scott will pull this one through. It would be a disgrace if he simply dropped this storyline like... so... many... others...

Okay, I am a glutton for punishment.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I hope her BF is a really great guy that Francis loves
Are you kidding? Francis is going to hate him, but everyone else is going to see that he's a lot like Francis, except better.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

NOSE!

[/rogerrabbitvoice]
I guess Francis is such a raging alcoholic at 19, that he has already developed Gin Blossoms on his nose.

Disconnected

his f'n nose ?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

his f'n nose ?
He needs to quit f'n with it then, it goes the wrong way and is the wrong friggin' color.

Dave

Dave

Why would he even meet her boyfriend? He doesn't live there. He's back at her college and she moved.

blotsfan

blotsfan

He decided to transfer to school in Seattle.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why would he even meet her boyfriend? He doesn't live there. He's back at her college and she moved.
Francis doesn't have to meet him to dislike him. Marcy shows off pictures, Francis says the boyfriend is a douche based on nothing, everyone else says "He looks like Francis... only better."

Gusto

Gusto

Marcy's look is already growing on me. :) Still miss them glasses though.

R

Raemon777

I lol'd at the Lorem Ipsum.

jwhouk

jwhouk

There's an irony in that, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There's an irony in that, but I'm not quite sure what it is.
Multi-layered irony, I should think. Not only is there the contradiction of putting placeholder text in a permanent tattoo, but Wikipedia says that one possible translation of "lorem ipsum" would be "pain itself", which is kind of fitting for a tattoo.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Actually, if my tenuous grasp of Latin is correct, dolor is the word for pain in Latin. The quotation itself, from Cicero, does mention pain, however. Wikipedia it, I'm off to work.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You are correct. The phrase used as filler was actually cut off from a piece of a quotation by Cicero. The actual words in Latin are "dolorem ipsum".

She's gonna need more ink.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kurtz talks about the con hiatus on the latest Webcomics Weekly podcast. He talks about how he had to be taken aside and told that the advertisers cared about the drop in page views, and that he needed to step and and fulfill his obligations. Lots of "mea culpa" and I really hope that this is the motivation he needs to work hard, but his reaction was usual melodramatic Kurtz.

He also talks about the end of Achewood, and chastises Chris Onstad for not being gracious enough to his fans and calling their comlaints "entitled whining". Yeah, pot meet kettle. Kurtz has done his fair share of bitching about fans complaining about free content.

Mathias

Mathias

If only he had sold out and gone syndicated in newspapers....

:D

Gusto

Gusto

Oh Rittz, you make everything better.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Broken image there, Gusto.

Also, about Kurtz's latest rant about the Reuben awards and the National Cartoonist Assocation. Did anyone else expect him to end the rant with the announcement of his own cartooning group, and a "Nyah, nyah, and you can't join!" to the NCA?

Krisken

Krisken

I see it just fine.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Yeah, the drawing is pretty good and pretty visible.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I can't see Rittz's picture, either. :(

figmentPez

figmentPez

I see it just fine.
Could you upload it or provide a link? It's broken for me in both Firefox and Chrome, on two computers.

Krisken

Krisken

Scratch that, I saw it just fine. Sometimes it is working, sometimes it isn't. No idea why.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I assume this is the pic I can't see:
Ritz draws the new Marcy.png

http://twitpic.com/4dlgwu

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also, about Kurtz's latest rant about the Reuben awards and the National Cartoonist Assocation. Did anyone else expect him to end the rant with the announcement of his own cartooning group, and a "Nyah, nyah, and you can't join!" to the NCA?
Honestly... isn't the reason he doesn't get invited mostly his fault? He IS poison.

Steve

Steve

Broken image there, Gusto.

A group of evil cartoonists hellbent on world take over. The SCS-Sinister Cartoonists Society. It would be the Legion of Doom to the NCA.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Honestly... isn't the reason he doesn't get invited mostly his fault? He IS poison.
Read the rant and Friday's comic together. He's the Francis in this situation, acting like a child. And I don't think anyone's going to be able to to pull him out of his self-inflicted death spiral. Unless Gabe & Tycho tell him he can't hang out with them anymore.

It's going to take more of a personal shock than anyone's been able to provide to make him change, assuming he ever will be able to change.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

A group of evil cartoonists hellbent on world take over. The SCS-Sinister Cartoonists Society. It would be the Legion of Doom to the NCA.
Or the:
Extraordinarily
Artistic
Scoundrels'
Evil
League

Sounds more classy because its acronym means something used by artists. Which means they're totally better than other wannabe evil cartoonist guilds. Those guys draw for newspapers and stuff.

Steve

Steve

Or the:
Extraordinarily
Artistic
Scoundrels'
Evil
League

Sounds more classy because its acronym means something used by artists. Which means they're totally better than other wannabe evil cartoonist guilds. Those guys draw for newspapers and stuff.
I like it. Do you have an application?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Only one thing could possibly get his attention about his screwups: a massive coronary.

(Notice I didn't necessarily mean him.)

Steve

Steve

If you read his rant it appears he was only wanting to join because of his father. It was important to him so Scott wanted to please. After years of bending over backwards to appease the NCA he finally got fed up with them. I would have to side with Scott on this one. It's pretty classless to uninvite someone to a gathering. It's not like they didn't know who Scott was prior to the invitation or where he stood on print versus web. And I don't think he's been too vocal on the demise of print comics in the past few months. Nothing to the extend that would evoke an uninvite. Scott's being doing just fine without the support of the NCA up to this point and honestly, they are a sinking ship. It would make sense to extend their reach to web cartoonists but they want to ignore the future and it will be their demise. Team Scotty here.

drifter

drifter

Uninviting someone is a rather embarrassing faux paus, but I don't know that you can really hang that on the NCS. From Scott's rant, it sounds like a third party without explicit authority to do so made the invitation, with the (by his own admission) expected results. Scott may have made overtures to the NCS, but calling them out for not showing him any professional respect while simultaneously calling them a bunch of old bastards... come on.

The man has spent the better part of a decade trashing guys and reveling in their economic misfortunes, and when he decides that maybe he wants to be part of their little club again he thinks a couple apologies will make it all better? And then when it doesn't, he goes right back to being insulting. Yeah, way to be sincere with those apologies, Scott. I admire the man's abilities, but his antics leave much to be desired.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Scott's being doing just fine without the support of the NCA up to this point and honestly, they are a sinking ship. It would make sense to extend their reach to web cartoonists but they want to ignore the future and it will be their demise. Team Scotty here.
I think Bill Amend made a good point:
@pvponline It's also one thing to say "I give up" and quite another to call people bastards.

It's pretty classless to uninvite someone to a gathering.
There's a difference between "we'd like you to come, I'll see if we can get you a spot" and "here's your invitation".

Another tweet from Bill Amend
@pvponline My understanding is Universal can't spare the slot this year because they just absorbed United. Disappointing, but not an FU.

This is part of the reason that Kurtz is viewed as so toxic. He blows up and writes very hurtful rants based on his perception of events, and doesn't even look at the long term effects. If he wants to be viewed as a professional in the industry, then he's going to need to deal with these things with a little diplomacy and grace. Stop getting banned from cartoonist forums. Stop calling people bastards because he doesn't get the privelages he thinks he deserves. If he wants to play with the big boys and be treated like an adult, then he's going to have to swallow his pride sometimes and accept insult without ranting about it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

More from Bill Amend:
"Dave Kellett, Randall Munroe and Kate Beaton are doing a webcomics panel at the Reubens this year. Odd he left that out."

Yeah, those elitist NCS bastards, they never let webcomic artists anywhere near them. :rolleyes:

Kurtz Tweets
"every year I'm told 'next year' and to 'play nice' by people like Bill. I'm done being the butt of this joke."

Has there been an entire year where Kurtz has played nice? Not to my memory. Seems he gets in trouble for railing against the print industry at least every few months.

Damn, he really needs to learn to not put everything on Twitter. Seriously, a lot of this shit he's talking needs to go to direct messages or email, or not be said at all. While most web cartoonists are used to having their private business regularly aired on the internet, I don't think that's the case for print cartoonists, or most other professions for that matter. Kurtz has apparently spent so much time wrapped up in the internet that he has no perception of proper decorum when dealing with people who aren't internet celebrities. He's embarassing himself and others, it's no wonder that there are a number of members of the NCS that don't want to get dragged into this.

EDIT: Makes me wonder about this internet generation in general. The line between private and public life is so blurred for many that I wonder how big the explosion is going to have to be before we realize that it's not best to broadcast everything about our lives all the time.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I look at stuff like this, and I think that even if Khoo took an extended leave of absence from PA to kick Kurtz into shape, there's simply nothing he could do that would stick and make Kurtz realize it's not just what you say, it's how and when you say it. Even the PA guys occasionally get that one wrong, despite Khoo, and Kurtz is a little too willing to dive into the trenches and start shooting.

Steve

Steve

Pez, thanks for the post. Seems like I had one side of the story. Getting the whole story makes Scott seem petty and supports what the president of the NCS said when he called Scott toxic. Scott needs to remove his post and pretend like it never happened.

Kovac

Kovac

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Pez, thanks for the post. Seems like I had one side of the story. Getting the whole story makes Scott seem petty and supports what the president of the NCS said when he called Scott toxic. Scott needs to remove his post and pretend like it never happened.
*sighs* The memories...

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

He mentions that someone told him to write a brief or essay to the NCS, to argue his case or something like that, right?

He said he started writing it... but then thought it was a waste of time and wouldn't help anything?

I just... Huh?

Tress

Tress

Don't look for logic. Kurtz is more like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Philosopher B.

I will never cease to be mildly amused by his seesawing between wanting to be the cool rebel motherfucker who kills newspapers and doesn't give a single fuck (except to moonwalk away with his Internet monies), and the professional, respected cartoonist hobnobbing with all the white-haired dudes he grew up reading.

billamend: @IAmRoot Dave Kellett, Randall Munroe and Kate Beaton are doing a webcomics panel at the Reubens this year. Odd he left that out.

pvponline: @billamend @iamroot Good for them. They are better politically than I'll ever be. Good luck to them. I'm done with that lot.

Well, uh, maybe if he played nice, nice things might happen.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I hope all three of those on the panel make it into the NCS within the year :awesome:

Gusto

Gusto

I'd say Dave Kellett has the best shot, and I can't wait to see his upcoming webcomics documentary.

Adam

Adammon

:facepalm:

I hope he's got a good Roth IRA because you can't retire on stupid.

Dave

Dave

The best part? His last lines.

So I’m putting a check next to the NCS on my bucket list. I’m not erasing it or redacting it. I’m marking a line through it. Completed. Done. Accomplished. I can’t join the NCS, but maybe getting over that fact is just as important. I didn’t make the cut. I’ve dealt with it and I’ve moved on. Mark it off. Just so long as it’s not picking at the corner of my mind, wasting cycles that could be spent on more important endeavors.

Like Monday’s update.
Written on the 26th. Monday's update is not there yet.

Tress

Tress

I loved his latest tweet on the subject:

Kurtz said:
"fuck their tree house. Your stuff lives in the cloud. let's piss on the tree house." - My bro, thinking he needs to cheer me up. #loveyabro
Gee, why don't they like you Scott? You're just so classy.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Whoever said it a couple pages ago (sry, too lazy) had it - the fact that this particular strip is up while this is going down is a little too surreal.

Gusto

Gusto

I loved his latest tweet on the subject:

Gee, why don't they like you Scott? You're just so classy.
To be fair, that was Brian, not Scott.
Added at: 18:27
Thank you!

Tress

Tress

To be fair, that was Brian, not Scott.
I took his re-posting as an implicit endorsement of the statement.

Gusto

Gusto

Possible. Maybe he's trying to dissuade thousands of his twitter followers from blowing smoke up his ass.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't look for logic. Kurtz is more like a child throwing a temper tantrum.
FTFY.

Mathias

Mathias

Holy fuck. My message to Kurtz: You're a goddamn cartoonist. Stop acting like what you do will cure cancer, you big fucking baby. You're not as important as you think you are.

You know, maybe it’s good that the NCS dies out. Maybe it’s important. Maybe that’s my contribution to the history of the medium that provides me my livelihood. That I belong not to the group the defined the artform, but the group the blew it up. That dismantled it and started over. Maybe that’s more important. Maybe that’s my ultimate contribution. Maybe I am the poison that a former NCS president insisted I am. That I’m the guy who championed the model that screwed everyone over. Forget the fact that none of that is true.

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

NO HOMERS!

Added at: 18:36
http://www.scott-kurtz.is-a-jerk.com/

figmentPez

figmentPez

pvp20110331.png

Ah, I laughed pretty hard at this one. It's a dumb joke, but I like it because it fits so well at the end of that serious monologue.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"We should totally make out"? The part of Francis will now be played by Scott Pilgrim.

Terrik

Terrik

There's just no good way to eat soup noodles with chopsticks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"We should totally make out"? The part of Francis will now be played by Scott Pilgrim.
And Marcy fanart from last page looks like Ramona Flowers.

Steve

Steve

From Scott's Twitter account "Just recording myself drawing The Trenches using Screenflow. It's a great app for doing desktop recordings." I can't wait to read this strip. It's like PA and PvP had a child and that child is "The Trenches".

Null

Null

From Scott's Twitter account "Just recording myself drawing The Trenches using Screenflow. It's a great app for doing desktop recordings." I can't wait to read this strip. It's like PA and PvP had a child and that child is "The Trenches".
Hopefully it won't die of neglect after six months, like every other side project Kurtz has ever done.

However, I'm interesting in reading the strip as well.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Hopefully it won't die of neglect after six months, like every other side project Kurtz has ever done.

However, I'm interesting in reading the strip as well.
If anything, I see him quitting PvP before he quits Trenches.

Tress

Tress

BAM! A nice shot at Kurtz in the first 2 panels.

Espy

Espy

Wow, dude's not playing around.

Null

Null

Nice! Sohmer really knows how to bust chops.

Espy

Espy

Apparently.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I've always wondered about Sohmer and Kurtz's relationship.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Brief, but violently passionate.

Gusto

Gusto

They're bros but bust each other's chops consistently. :)

Wasabi Poptart

I want to hug Sohmer. Or at least give him a case of Red Bull.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Woah! Major spoilers about the future of PvP, from Kurtz's sketchbook!
l7lumi.jpg
Added at: 22:06
Also, I like that the hipsters are back in today's comic.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hah. Today's made me laugh. "Whenever. We all do our part, man."

Gusto

Gusto

The hipsters return!

Gusto

Gusto

O ye of little faith:

The coffee hipsters AND the Panda Espresso storyline in two days.

Tress

Tress

The most noteworthy thing about that is the fact that Kurtz updated early. :aaah:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The most noteworthy thing about that is the fact that Kurtz updated early. :aaah:
Twice even. Maybe even thrice.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So which is it Scott? I give a reader's perspective on his web v. print crusade:

Me: @pvponline Paper or pixel, how it gets to me is less important than timeliness and entertaining.

Him: @DarkAudit MOST of the time, good content finds it's way to an audience. Arguing semantics about delivery is a waste of time.

Really, now? Does that mean you're finally going to stop tilting at that windmill of yours?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Him: @DarkAudit MOST of the time, good content finds it's way to an audience. Arguing semantics about delivery is a waste of time.
:facepalm:

Y'know, I lol'd about how he gets mocked around here for the "tastemaker" comment, but he really seems to believe he's some kind of artiste.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, you can deride him for being a tastemaker, but don't forget he's also a pioneer in his field.

Null

Null

I have to admit, I thought the line "Seven of Mine" was amusing.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought he admitted that she was the model for her.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Yeh...I pointed that out soon as it happened.

I thought it was sweet. He's obviously taken a shine to her.

Null

Null

btw, my friend nick and I are almost sure that kurtz is the hugest hack we have ever seen after the last PATV, there is a very talented lady working for PA that is IMHO the spitting image of Marcy's redesign post college. if what I think is true is true, the man doesn't have any real original thoughts.
Well done, you've uncovered something he overtly explained when the arc started.

Terrik

Terrik

Let us mock him for several more pages.

Dave

Dave

His update for today is up already. Seems he's taking his new schedule seriously. I wonder if he has a buffer now.

Didn't much care for either comic this week, but that's just my taste, not anything bad on him.

Hylian

Hylian

I agree that the comics where not to my taste but at least he seems to be trying to keep to his schedule.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I like Robbie's expression when he realizes he can't skip his 12:30. It's as though the full weight of a dramatic realization just physically winded him and shook him into reality; wonderfully juxtaposed with the ridiculous nature of the appointment.

Null

Null

It's not fantastic, but Kurtz does seem to be putting the effort in.

Norris

Norris

To beat the dead horse, I do think the idea that writing an essay explaining why a webcartoonist who has been in business for more than a decade and making his living at that craft for quite a bit of that time should be allowed to join a professional cartoonist organization seems a little insulting, particularly when you were one the first in the field. Seems like they go for a highly arbitrary standard of "professional cartoonist".

Then again, he naturally handles that rejection publicly and like a moody teenager with a livejournal. No saying he's done anything to make them desire his membership, but for all his faults he's probably one of the best people (symbolically speaking) to admit as the first web guy in the organization. One of the first in the field, has made it his full time job for many years now, gave a damn about joining, etc. And he's not wrong about print comics jobs drying up and dying out, nor is he wrong that prominent print folks have been dismissive of web. He's like a living example of "strawman has a point".

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I clicked an ad on PvP's site. I feel shame.

Tress

Tress

To beat the dead horse, I do think the idea that writing an essay explaining why a webcartoonist who has been in business for more than a decade and making his living at that craft for quite a bit of that time should be allowed to join a professional cartoonist organization seems a little insulting, particularly when you were one the first in the field. Seems like they go for a highly arbitrary standard of "professional cartoonist".

Then again, he naturally handles that rejection publicly and like a moody teenager with a livejournal. No saying he's done anything to make them desire his membership, but for all his faults he's probably one of the best people (symbolically speaking) to admit as the first web guy in the organization. One of the first in the field, has made it his full time job for many years now, gave a damn about joining, etc. And he's not wrong about print comics jobs drying up and dying out, nor is he wrong that prominent print folks have been dismissive of web. He's like a living example of "strawman has a point".
I got the distinct impression he wasn't being kept out because they look down on webcomics (though they probably do). I think it has more to do with his wildly unprofessional and caustic rants. The guy is a walking shitstorm of drama.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I like Scott Kurtz as a person, but I can't fault them for not including him over his attitude.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Some of the things said in a recent Webcomics Weekly podcast made me more sympathetic to Kurtz. He said that another cartoonist in then NCS cut off friendship ties with him over pressure from other NCS members. If that's true, it's pretty low to not only blackball him from the group, but to discourage even friendship with the guy as well.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If that's true, it's pretty low to not only blackball him from the group, but to discourage even friendship with the guy as well.
That's really the question, isn't it? Not saying he's lying, but he does like to frame his drama in the most melodramatic of terms.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That's really the question, isn't it? Not saying he's lying, but he does like to frame his drama in the most melodramatic of terms.
Yeah, but Dave Kellet doesn't seem given to drama like Kurtz is, and that's one point he didn't challenge Kurtz on. He called him out on other things, though. (or maybe my memory of the podcast is foggy.)

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well done, you've uncovered something he overtly explained when the arc started.
And he'd have to be retarded not to, seeing how successful the PATV episode where they hired her was...

Norris

Norris

Ok, so this morning's punchline made me laugh out loud. A little giggle, but laughter. I still like PVP a lot, but actual audible laughter is rare.

Wasabi Poptart

"...the world's largest porn collection in the world."

:rolleyes:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, but Dave Kellet doesn't seem given to drama like Kurtz is, and that's one point he didn't challenge Kurtz on. He called him out on other things, though. (or maybe my memory of the podcast is foggy.)
Agreed.
Dave Kellet is one of the silliest people around.

Steve

Steve

Scott's tweet in regards to the latest CAD "Guys, @timcad's real crime here was that neither strip was funny."
Here's the strip Scott was talking about: http://www.cad-comic.com/images/Strip1630.png
Tim changed the punchline because he caught some flack. I agree with Scott on this one. The original punchline has been a staple of stand up comedians for years, yeah, yeah, black people are noisy in movie theaters, not much effort there. The new punchline is less funny.

Figured it couldn't be a true PvP thread without a little CAD sprinkled in.

Oh, and Scott was wrong, webcomics did not kill newspapers, the iPad did:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...kson_jr_blames_the_ipad_for_killing_jobs.html
Facepalm