not so serious but I want to rant II: Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiarn

Valentine's isn't just a day for people who are together, it's also a great day for hook-ups!

I get it single people on facebook. You don't get to "celebrate" valentines day. It's a bummer. Life sucks, etc, etc. But really, if one more person posts, "There should be a Singles Day!"... BAM! POW! To the MOOOOOOOOON!!!!!1
Every day is singles day!!!

wooo hoooo!!!

figmentPez

Staff member
On Valentine's Day I don't feel bad for singles, I feel bad for those newly entered into a relationship. The day puts a lot of high expectations on a couple.

After my day is done, I go to my regular joint to down a beer or two. The place has an internet connection, so I decide to check what's on at Halforums. Before I get to type in the url, a friend of mine comes over to say hello. We talk for a bit, chatting about this and that, with me sitting on the comp all the time. At one point, I tell my friend that I have to check on a board I frequent. So I go to the forums section on Halforums.

And what do I find? With the monitor clearly visible to my friend, a page all hearts and pinkness pops up. And before I manage to click on the red X on the top right corner of the browser, I can hear my friend already choking on his beer.

Thanks a fucking lot, Halforums.

Valentine's is just a made up day to boost sales for florists at this time of year. If you treat your SO like they are the world for every other day of the year, this day is just a day that you decide, "We'll cook at home tonight."

M

makare

It was not created by any industry. It is a very old day of celebration. I am really tired of people saying it was just made up by the greeting card people and stuff like that. You people are the only downside to the whole damn day!

You know Makare, the thing that it has become was not what it started as, and has even been removed from the Official Catholic calendar as a feast day, even though it is still allowed on local or even national calendars for the Diocese.

M

makare

The day is what you make it. Same with Christmas. I can't stand the "Christmas is so commercial" whiners either. Celebrate the way you want. If you give YOUR holiday to the greeting card people well than that is your doing. I keep mine the way I want about the things I want to celebrate. The way it has traditionally been.

The couple times I have been in a relationship and actually able to celebrate Valentine's Day, I was thoroughly annoyed with all te trash talking, as if I sould be made to feel guilty for my happy relationship.

It's like inviting someone to your birthday and them blowing you off because it's not their birthday too.

The couple times I have been in a relationship and actually able to celebrate Valentine's Day, I was thoroughly annoyed with all te trash talking, as if I sould be made to feel guilty for my happy relationship.

It's like inviting someone to your birthday and them blowing you off because it's not their birthday too.
God, that's exactly it. I fucking hate that.

figmentPez

Staff member
There are a lot of things I like about Valentine's Day, and some things I find annoying. Mostly I just ignore what I don't like, but some things bug me more than others. Cards happen to be a sore spot for me. Last I had reason to need a card on Valentine's Day I spent hours going between stores looking for a card. They all said either "Let's have sex." or "I declare my undying devotion forever." Neither of which I wanted to say to a girl I'd only been dating a short time. So, yes, screw you Hallmark and your overpriced cards.

There are a lot of things I like about Valentine's Day, and some things I find annoying. Mostly I just ignore what I don't like, but some things bug me more than others. Cards happen to be a sore spot for me. Last I had reason to need a card on Valentine's Day I spent hours going between stores looking for a card. They all said either "Let's have sex." or "I declare my undying devotion forever." Neither of which I wanted to say to a girl I'd only been dating a short time. So, yes, screw you Hallmark and your overpriced cards.
Make your own card. :D

M

makare

I think that is why Hallmark commercials seems to emphasize the whole "they'll keep it forever" idea. To get us to believe that the price is worth it because they will keep it so long. Most people toss 'em or lose 'em. Suck it Hallmark. Seriously. Five dollars or more for some folded paper and hokey words. PFFT I say PFFT!

figmentPez

Staff member
Make your own card. :D
Actually, I'd been looking for a card because it was going with a gift that I made myself. I'd been hoping to save some time because my schedule was already tight because of working on that gift. I ended up wasting more time looking than I would have spent making one. I think that's a fair reason to be pissed that a card company couldn't serve the function they're supposed to.

Makare, you sure can get your panties in a wad in a hurry. Like I said in my first post, if you make a big deal of your SO on every other day of the year, tonight just becomes a "I think we'll cook at home" night. I might do something really out of the blue on April 5th or maybe June 22 or even September 13th, but today is just another day for us. We do make a big deal of December 17th, it's our anniversary (working on year 23 right now) and I make a big deal of her birthday, but I do spend most of my time with her, she is my best friend, she is my soul mate and we know that we are supposed to be together. We would rather make the memories that come from a lifetime together, not just one "night on the town" or "Ohhhh, sparkly!" moments.

BTW, I'm not mad, or upset, but just having a little fun tonight, but now, dinner. Yummy homemade soft tacos.

M

makare

I didn't say anything about how you celebrate or don't celebrate. What I have a problem with is the general "it's just commercial" argument that a lot of people, not just you, like to espouse. So it's not like I suddenly started to feel that way just because you said it.

also,
to the condescending panties in a wad statement.

M

makare

Well I've said all I am going to say about it so I would hope it doesn't get locked for that.

A lot of weird things happen in threads on page 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.