[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

So much of the movie was quotable.

I was almost worried about the climax not feeling great because the prison stuff was so damn good, but I had nothing to worry about; no Pacific Rim syndrome here.

Nebula didn't shine as much as others, but she still had her moments.

I was relieved Rhonin had an actual character; I was worried at first that we were in for another Thor 2 villain.

I'd've preferred even more fleshing out of Ronan and Nebula, but since I recognize that movies can't all be six hours long, ultimately I'm ok with it.

They need to make a dancing flower of that. I'd totally buy one.
[DOUBLEPOST=1407119069,1407119003][/DOUBLEPOST]To be fair, Ronan until recently was pretty one dimensional in the comics as well. It wasn't until the marriage to Crystal that he started to soften a bit.

Another thing, the scene near the end

Where John C. Reily's character told Peter that he had a family that was alive because of Peter, that really was a nice punctuation for everything that happened in the last half hour of the movie. It also is great showing what went on with the Nova pilots, who never broke formation even as they were being crushed. I didn't get why my wife was crying until then.

Apparently not. Stop watching Battlefield Earth and thinking it's a Marvel movie.
can't be, the villains in Battlefield Earth had way more depth, character development, and motivations

although they did look identical to the - whatever the things were that the Guardians slaughtered en masse

10am showings are great when you're coming off an overnight shift. But they absolutely SUCK when a movie like this starts and there's a grand total of three people in the entire auditorium. No vibe from the audience to give the movie that little extra kick.
It's tough finding the balance. I saw a 2:40 showing which was all right. Lots of high schoolers and incoming college students.

It seems that now, every time I see a movie, whoever is in front of me decides to check their text messages every ten minutes. They usually have the brightness settings turned way down, or even have a black background, but sometimes it just destroys the night vision of everybody sitting behind them. I guess that's become a thing in movie theaters. Too bad there isn't an Alamo Drafthouse in College Station because they kick out anybody who texts.

I'll kick out anyone we catch texting but I need to know about it, ideally during the show. Telling me after your movie is done does fuck all other than force you to sit behind someone doing it all show. The most common response when asked why they didn't say anything during the movie is that they didn't want it ruined.

Bitch, if you didn't want it ruined, how does someone sitting there with a blinding light constitute enjoying the show...

But I'm not bitter...

In business terms it means "It didn't really bother me that much, and may not have even happened at all, but if I complain loud enough I'll get my money back."

No money back after 45 minutes, a pass if you're really nice about it. Argumentative people don't get shit, especially if you're berating my cast.

You come tell me mid show and you get two passes. It avoids further complaints. It should be on us to have an usher walking up and down the stairs checking but the reality is I can't afford that guy anymore.

I legitimately want to make the experience as good as I can for you, I realize it is not cheap to indulge in a night out at one of our theaters, there is a reason cheap night is our second busiest. I do need a little bit of a hand in order to provide that for you.

Last edited:
It seems that now, every time I see a movie, whoever is in front of me decides to check their text messages every ten minutes. They usually have the brightness settings turned way down, or even have a black background, but sometimes it just destroys the night vision of everybody sitting behind them. I guess that's become a thing in movie theaters. Too bad there isn't an Alamo Drafthouse in College Station because they kick out anybody who texts.
I have no problem saying in a slightly below normal volume tone of voice that I use when training my dog, "Please turn off you phone." Works everytime, and nothing is ruined.

I have no problem saying in a slightly below normal volume tone of voice that I use when training my dog, "Please turn off you phone." Works everytime, and nothing is ruined.
And then if they don't, you rub their nose in it.

Or get the spray bottle.

Reactions: Far
Someone was doing that at our showing. My wife snapped, loud, "Turn off your phone." It was off instantly.

Kids and their dad behind us started chatting. "Quiet down." Silence.

The theater is one of the few places where my wife can unleash her rage and get results. I'm one of the fucking losers who will just try to ignore it.

I seem to luck out and rarely have much problems with my movie going experience. Though I had one bad experience trying to watch John Carter (which I enjoyed, minus this annoyance). There were a bunch of young teenagers sitting behind me. One girl kept talking to her friend behind her, so all I heard directly behind me was "Pshpshpshpshpshpshpshpshpsh..."

I finally turned around and was polite about it the first time, but was very firm and loud the way I said it, "With all due respect, I hope you're not planning on talking through the whole movie." She didn't expect anyone to speak up and was startled, so shut up...for like five minutes. I told her to shut up a few more times, but she didn't. Hell, she even leaned forward and started trying to talk to ME, blabbing on and on about apologizing for talking so much. Finally, I just sighed very loudly and climbed over the seat in front of me to sit in the next row. In retrospect, I should've embarrassed her and shouted very loudly for her to shut up for all the theatre to hear. Teenager girls are quick to embarrass, after all.

Theater stuff: The sound mix was actually weird at our normal theater this weekend. Normally it's fantastic but I think there was so much bass that it kind of muddled a lot of the speech. There were many times my wife and I had no idea what someone said. Seemed to get better as the film went on but it was kind of a strange thing.

I'm traveling and found a show in IMAX 3D, but the last trailer and first 6 minutes of the film were messed up. One eye view was fine, switch to the other eye and it was 70 feet of vertical RGB lines all over the place. Eventually they paused the show, fixed the projector (jiggled the wires?), and resumed, without starting over or any word from an employee.

I do that if the screen's way too bright. I'll usually just ignore it if the person's at least trying to be discreet.

@ Far: Good for you, but stepping out to complain might mean missing some of the movie and not getting free tickets. Some theaters are stingy.

I've also noticed that nobody talks on the phone in theaters anymore. That's great. But they have to stop checking their texts. Seriously, what's so important that they can't just enjoy a movie for two hours?

I've also noticed that nobody talks on the phone in theaters anymore. That's great. But they have to stop checking their texts. Seriously, what's so important that they can't just enjoy a movie for two hours?
That's just a side effect of no one using their cell phones for talking anymore. If texting weren't as prevalent as it is, they'd still be talking.

But they have to stop checking their texts. Seriously, what's so important that they can't just enjoy a movie for two hours?
My friends do that now, but mostly because they're new parents and are nervous about not being in potential contact with the baby sitter at all times. They don't sit there texting, they just check a lot to make sure they haven't missed anything. They try hard to be discreet, and I like spending time with them (obviously), so I just ignore it as best I can.

Dave

Staff member
And that's when you step out of the theater for a bit. You're not paying attention to the movie anyway.

Whatever happened to using a laser pointer to dot the people who are texting?
Notice I said "dot" and not "DOT," though I suppose the second would be tempting.

--Patrick

And that's when you step out of the theater for a bit. You're not paying attention to the movie anyway.
Good idea.
And in addition, if you intend to do that be considerate enough to get a seat near the aisle so you don't interrupt anyone else's experience. Because if you intend to interrupt your own experience and that of others you don't need a center seat.

My friends do that now, but mostly because they're new parents and are nervous about not being in potential contact with the baby sitter at all times. They don't sit there texting, they just check a lot to make sure they haven't missed anything. They try hard to be discreet, and I like spending time with them (obviously), so I just ignore it as best I can.
Man, what is up with new parents? I know I'll probably be chastised for this, but they have to be the most apprehensive and jittery set of people in modern society. Just because they haven't heard from the babysitter in 30 minutes doesn't mean their house has burnt down.

Maybe that's it. Maybe helicoptering is an instinctual reaction for when you put all your eggs in one basket (so to speak).

--Patrick

Man, what is up with new parents? I know I'll probably be chastised for this, but they have to be the most apprehensive and jittery set of people in modern society. Just because they haven't heard from the babysitter in 30 minutes doesn't mean their house has burnt down.
It doesn't mean the house hasn't not burnt down! :aaah:

It doesn't mean the house hasn't not burnt down! :aaah:
House burns while you are enjoying a movie?
Enjoy the movie, can't do anything else, don't bother checking how far it's burned down, you will see the result after the movie and the stages of burning probably on Youtubethe next day.

And IF your house burns the babysitter would call you, no need to ask him every few minute: House already burning?
(Yes, I'm not a nice person most times, and also tired)

GasBandit

Staff member
Another aspect of humanity ruined by cell phones. Remember how funny it was in the 80s? "Here's the number for the restaurant we'll be eating at, and the number for the theater where we'll be seeing the movie. If you can't reach us, here's the number for our pediatrician and three family friends/neighbors. I'll be calling once an hour from a payphone to check and make sure everything is ok."

Remember how it just couldn't get any sillier than that? Those were the days. New parents, you just gotta accept that your life is over and stay home with the kid until he is old and trustworthy enough to be left home alone, which will probably be when he's 30+. Get cable and HBO and Netflix and get used to spoilers. Either that, or magically not be worried, which I realize is nearly impossible when it's your first and only super precious special snowflake that you could, truth be told, just as easily make another one of if you put your mind to it and isn't even really a person yet anyway.

Matter of fact, I wouldn't get too attached to that cable and netflix either.

Last edited: