Export thread

Guardians of the Galaxy

Limit: 500

evilmike

evilmike

After being rumored for some time, it's apparently official: Guardians of the Galaxy is scheduled for a 2014 release. (via Latino Review)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I AM GROOT!

Tress

Tress

Here's how I see this playing out:

Worst case scenario - This movie will be shit. It will fail spectacularly.

Best case scenario - The movie might be made well, but no one is interested. The property is just too "out there" for most of the audience, and it flops. Maybe, just maybe, it recoups losses in DVD sales with a strong comic-fan backing.

My money is on the worst case scenario, but I would be happy to be wrong on this one.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I wonder what sort of Roster they're going to go with.

That name has belonged to a few versions of groups. I'm thinking they'll probably stay away from the original group (seeing as most of them are pretty much ridiculous).

Frank

Frank

Probably close to the Avengers cartoon lineup I'd take a guess on.

As long as Rocket Raccoon is there. If he isn't, well, there's no fucking point is there?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Rocket Raccoon and Groot. Always with Groot.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

When you think about it, it does fit with the direction they are going for the movies now. In the movies before, it never really involved space, mostly keeping to Earth (Thor you could say skirted the line, like it always has, with it's persuado sci-fi). Yet now, after the Avengers, we are going to obviously have more galactic ties, and Guardians of the Galaxy will give them a chance to keep that part of the universe fresh in peoples minds, maybe even help establish "you know who" leading into the next Avengers movie. They can't do it with the X-Men or FF, so they had to do it with someone.

Though I still wait for the day they make a Heroes for Hire movie. So much potential.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Probably close to the Avengers cartoon lineup I'd take a guess on.

As long as Rocket Raccoon is there. If he isn't, well, there's no fucking point is there?

What the heck are they standing on?

evilmike

evilmike

The concept art shown at Comic-Con
Guardians-of-the-galaxy-sdcc-concept-art.jpg

Frank

Frank

I still like Adam Warlock and Quasar better.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I still have only one thing to say:

I AM GROOT!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

another fuckin' furry.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dude, that furry will shoot off your gonads with the largest gun it can find.

Also, anthropomorphic =/= furry.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Dude, that furry will shoot off your gonads with the largest gun it can find.

Also, anthropomorphic =/= furry.
It's a gateway fetish.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I dunno... Rocket Raccoon was kinda bad ass in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Frank

Frank

So, I'm constantly being told Cosmic Marvel of the Civil War and beyond era is far better than the more terrestrially bound stuff. Can any of you give me some recommendations of trades that are good places to read the good stuff (other than Annihilation itself, that's a given).

Bowielee

Bowielee

Pretty much if Thanos or Adam Warlock are on the cover. It's usually a good bet to be good. (Infinity Crusade aside). Unfortunately, I focused more on the earthly books after Civil War, and I haven't read ANYTHING beyond Seige.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So, I'm constantly being told Cosmic Marvel of the Civil War and beyond era is far better than the more terrestrially bound stuff. Can any of you give me some recommendations of trades that are good places to read the good stuff (other than Annihilation itself, that's a given).
Nova starts after Annihilation, and it's a great read. Guardians of the Galaxy begins after Annihilation: Conquest. To be honest, it gets rather confusing after that, with the War of Kings event.

The trades up until then are great because the Annihilation volumes #1-3 cover everything you need. Ditto for Conquest.

Also, Civil War sucks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Civil war had a few mis-steps but overall was a good read.

Covar

Covar

Civil War was Marvel burning the barn down to have one hell of a party. Afterwards they pretended the barn was still up, with every post civil-war reference to registration going down as follows:

Hitler/Iron man: "This big threat is hear and we need the help of you heroes that aren't registered, I know I'm supposed to arrest you but if you help I'll let it slide while we take care of it."
Unregistered hero: "Ok, I'll do it, since I'm clearly morally right"
Bush/Iron man: "Ok now it's done, time to arrest all of you! Drats! they got away, NEXT TIME YOU'LL BE IN JAIL"

Not to mention you have the "fair and balanced view of both sides," Until Marvel realized that sane people were actually agreeing with pro-registration, so quick! Swerve to make Tony comparable to Hitler!

The worst offense? Like every other Marvel event since with the exception of Siege, Only 3 issues worth of story decompressed into 7 issues. And they still couldn't write a decent ending for it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No, the worst thing about Civil War is that it is what necessitated (or gave an excuse for) One More Day. Decades of Spider-man, down the drain because the guy in charge wanted him like he was as a kid.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not to mention the fact that, despite what the writers and editors said, you can't just read Civil #1-7 on its own without needing to read the other titles to get the full story.

Frank

Frank

That is always my biggest issue with these events and why I've stopped buying mainstream comics in general. The main story doesn't make a lot of sense without the inbetween stuff in other books.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Was it that way with Crisis on Infinite Earths or could you just read those 12 issues and get the whole thing?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Was it that way with Crisis on Infinite Earths or could you just read those 12 issues and get the whole thing?
Having only read the original 12-issue series, I'd say it reads well on its own. There were tie-in issues, of course, but from what I understand, they weren't needed.

Bowielee

Bowielee

When the big cross-overs started (Crisis on Infinite Earths/ Secret Wars) They were almost entirely self contained. As comic companies learned that they would make more money by making other books essential, most modern cross-overs are totally not understandable without the tie in books.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Agreed. Even most of DC's annual summer events during the 90's were mostly self-contained. I still enjoy many of them: Zero Hour, Underworld Unleashed, Final Night. Some were total crap, like Genesis and Day of Judgement.

Frank

Frank

When the big cross-overs started (Crisis on Infinite Earths/ Secret Wars) They were almost entirely self contained. As comic companies learned that they would make more money by making other books essential, most modern cross-overs are totally not understandable without the tie in books.
Yeah, and that was incredibly short-sighted seeing as how dead the comic book part of the comic book industry has become.

Covar

Covar

Comic sales this year are up 14% over last year. AvX (crap that it is) sells gangbusters for Marvel.

In related news PC gaming is dead!

Steve

Steve

http://ifanboy.com/articles/marvel-...movie-rights-to-fox-in-exchange-for-galactus/

Interesting. Fox's rights to Daredevil run out in October unless they have a movie. They are in negotiations with Marvel to retain the rights to the property. In exchange Marvel wants Galactus and Silver Surfer. It would make sense. Could see this tie into the Guardians of the Galaxy in some way. And I doubt Fox will ever use Galactus again. If they keep The Fantastic Four there are more than enough villains to fill several movies. I would love to see Marvel handle Galactus and Surfer.

Frank

Frank

That would....rule?

Actually, sounds good to me. Doug Jones as Silver Surfer was about the only thing that movie did right.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I would have traded for the mutual ownership of the concept of "mutants", so they would have more options for movies.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That would....rule?

Actually, sounds good to me. Doug Jones as Silver Surfer was about the only thing that movie did right.
And Michael Chiklis as The Thing again. That was just the perfect casting.

evilmike

evilmike

They have cast Star Lord -- Chris Pratt from Zero Dark Thirty and Parks and Recreation. (via First Showing)

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

They have cast Star Lord -- Chris Pratt from Zero Dark Thirty and Parks and Recreation. (via First Showing)
Hrm, that is not one of those casting choices that is an obvious fit. I've only seen him as a boisterous, jock type character, which is not a good fit for Starlord. Still, maybe that's just the type of role he's played thus far and he'll do fine.

evilmike

evilmike

Latino Review is reporting that a casting deal is being finalized for Jason Mamoa (Game of Thrones, Stargate Atlantis, Conan the Barbarian) to play Drax the Destroyer.

Frank

Frank

That's good casting.

evilmike

evilmike

Frank

Frank

That's actually alright if Drax doesn't talk much.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Drax' character has never been a talker, so this works.

Covar

Covar

Drax' character has never been a talker, so this works.
but what if he did?! :sohappy:

Frank

Frank

Oh wow, I did not watch wrestling during that period. Batista was kind of rad when he wasn't D-Von's sidekick (yeah, it's been that long).

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I like how they're bringing another team into the Avengers franchise.

But what I REALLY want to see leading to the third Avengers movie is Heroes for Hire. Just a cameo to introduce them first. Let's say the next invasion force lands in New York (Kree, Skrulls, what have you). A small group of them move to a run-down building and kick in the door. Cue some Bruce Lee screams and someone else shouting "Sweet Christmas!", and then the invaders are thrown right through the wall. As the dust clears, you see Iron Fist and Luke Cage cracking their knuckles.

Seeing the New Warriors would also be cool, especially since Nova is one of my favorites.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I wouldn't mind see that Runaways movie that is supposed to be in production, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. I know they already did some casting.

Tress

Tress

Yes, let's fill the movie with dozens of different comic book characters and storylines. That's what makes the comics themselves so accessible.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yes, let's fill the movie with dozens of different comic book characters and storylines. That's what makes the comics themselves so accessible.
I'd be willing to bet that accessibility wouldn't be an issue if you could still buy a damn comic book at the supermarket. You wanna know why Archie comics is still around, despite doing the exact same shit for the past 60 some years? It's because you still buy an Archie comic without going to seedy little store in a strip mall.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

If you read the old Marvel issues from the 60s, superheroes always had brief cameos in other series. I'm reading the old Daredevil comics right now, and one issue involves the Fantastic Four hiring Nelson & Murdock for legal services regarding a deed. In the first Spider-Man issues with the Sinister Six, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers all have cameos. Some are just one panel.

And in the Avengers cartoon, one of the best scenes is where Tony Stark visits the Daily Bugle offices and argues with J. Jonah Jameson. "Unless you want tomorrow's headline to read "Captain America: Benedict Arnold" this interview happens today! PARKER!!!"

So in one of the Marvel movies, I'd love to see a brief scene at the Daily Bugle offices with Jameson.

"You want a warning printed in the Bugle? We've already got our hands full with that red and blue menace. Well, what have you got? Thanos? Why would any mother name their kid that? He looks like he's got a prune for a face! Oh, he's here to destroy Earth? We can give you half of page 10, same price. Robbie, we've got a scoop! Get an extra printing for this evening. Miss Brant, find Parker and tell him to get some shots of Prune-Face when he's not busy tracking that wall-crawler. Well, what are you waiting for? I don't pay you to stand there gawking!"

Frank

Frank

Man, reading some of the new GotG and watching the Game of Thrones Blurays, I'm definitely back in the camp that Jason Mamoa would have been a much better Drax.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So in one of the Marvel movies, I'd love to see a brief scene at the Daily Bugle offices with Jameson.
Never happen. Sony Pictures still has the rights to Spider-man and are content to make shitty movie after shitty movie every few years to keep it. It's going to be a long time before Disney has all the Marvel movie rights back under one house.

klew

klew

It doesn't seem like a bad idea to make films of other Marvel titles, like Runaways, that live in the Marvel universe, but don't have to interact with the Avengers cast. This way, fans can see other titles and newcomers to the Avengers world won't have to watch (or know the backstory) of 10+ films.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Never happen. Sony Pictures still has the rights to Spider-man and are content to make shitty movie after shitty movie every few years to keep it. It's going to be a long time before Disney has all the Marvel movie rights back under one house.
Same with X-men. Those deals with Sony were struck before Marvel had its own studio (and is one of the major reasons Marvel HAS a studio now), and with super-heroes being as popular as they are now, there's no way Sony is going to let those liscences lapse. That's the main reason we had both X-men First Class and that horrible Spider-man movie recently.

Speaking of which, have people come to realize how bad that movie is yet?

Frank

Frank

Just Charlie left defending it. I feel good having hated it out of the gate. That crane scene might be the worst thing ever in any comic book movies.

Though Emma Stone is much better than Kirsten Dunst.

Garfield I think is better than Tobey MacGuire in Spider-Man 3.

Tress

Tress

I did like First Class, though. I thought it was pretty well done.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I did like First Class, though. I thought it was pretty well done.
So did I. I'm actually looking forward to both Wolverine and X-men Days of Future Past.

Covar

Covar

Same with X-men. Those deals with Sony were struck before Marvel had its own studio (and is one of the major reasons Marvel HAS a studio now), and with super-heroes being as popular as they are now, there's no way Sony is going to let those liscences lapse. That's the main reason we had both X-men First Class and that horrible Spider-man movie recently.

Still better than the Rami films.

For the man resonsible for the Evil Dead Trilogy, Hercules, and Xena, those movies were sure missing a whole lot of fun.

Shawn

Shawn

I haven't seen it recently, but I remember liking it okay. What was wrong with The Amazing Spider-Man?

Bowielee

Bowielee

The first 2 Rami films were way better than Amazing Spider-Man. Even if it did focus on the whiney side of Peter, at least he wasn't a full on douchebag.

Shawn

Shawn

First Raimi was passable for me. 2nd gets major points because of how sympathetic Doc Oc was and especially Alfred Molina pulling it off. 3rd one... well... Less said the better.

But I didn't really think Peter Parker was too much of a douchebag in Amazing. I don't recall any particular douchey moments. Perhaps if you reminded me of the ones you thought were at the top of the list?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I haven't seen it recently, but I remember liking it okay. What was wrong with The Amazing Spider-Man?
Peter was the opposite of heroic. The ONLY thing that he did that wasn't directly to benefit himself was to save that kid in the car, and even then he left a bunch more people in danger. He literally got a minority honor student kicked out of Ozcorp by stealing his ID, ruining that kid's possible placement in the intern program there... that's SUPER heroic. Even the muggers he stopped were only in search of Ben's killer.

He focused more on vengence then on doing the right thing.

Dr. Conors was pretty much a mustache twirling snidely whiplash character. That would have been fine for the Vulture or someone, but Doc Connors is a great tortured and morally complex villain that was reduced to a cliche.

The entire plan to turn everyone into lizard people was just plain stupid.

So many plot holes, you could drive a mack truck through them.

Aunt May may as well have not even existed.

The ONLY thing I liked was Emma Stone and Dennis Leary as the Staceys.

The movie suffered from trying to be like the Dark Knight itis.

The only reason fans of the comics loved it is because the organic web shooters were gone, and he cracked a few jokes.

Spider-Man 2 is still my third favorite super-hero movie, after Superman 2 and The Dark Knight.

Shawn

Shawn

Peter was the opposite of heroic. The ONLY thing that he did that wasn't directly to benefit himself was to save that kid in the car, and even then he left a bunch more people in danger. He literally got a minority honor student kicked out of Ozcorp by stealing his ID, ruining that kid's possible placement in the intern program there... that's SUPER heroic. Even the muggers he stopped were only in search of Ben's killer.

He focused more on vengence then on doing the right thing.

Dr. Conors was pretty much a mustache twirling snidely whiplash character. That would have been fine for the Vulture or someone, but Doc Connors is a great tortured and morally complex villain that was reduced to a cliche.

The entire plan to turn everyone into lizard people was just plain stupid.

So many plot holes, you could drive a mack truck through them.

Aunt May may as well have not even existed.

The ONLY thing I liked was Emma Stone and Dennis Leary as the Staceys.

The movie suffered from trying to be like the Dark Knight itis.

The only fans of the comics loved it is because the organic web shooters were gone, and he cracked a few jokes.
Totally fair. Probably not what the writer/director had in mind when trying to portray the character, but that's how he was clearly seen from many viewpoints. I didn't quite notice these aspects of his character. I saw him doing what a normal person would likely do if given extraordinary powers. I was very happy that they included the fact that he's intellectual. And yeah, he screwed over a guy's internship. But when Ferris Bueller does something similar we laugh and cheer. When Marty McFly screws over time itself to give his family a make-over we mental five him.
Just depends on your point of view.

I agree that Conners wasn't very sympathetic. I also wasn't very fond of the final Lizard form. And near the end of the film they completely threw away the opportunity for Spidey to be battling several dozen lizard monsters in an epic slug fest.
Thank goodness the new ones were polite enough to wait around until everything was resolved.

I like mack trucks.

Loved Emma Stone and Dennis Leary. What a great role for Leary. His death was a little cliche, but meh. As you pointed out, so was the villain.

I don't know if I would liken it to Dark Knight. I think it was trying to be more on par with the recent Avengers line of Marvel films.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ferris Bueller is a sociopath.

Shawn

Shawn

Most of them are.
Most of them are.

Bowielee

Bowielee

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/5911/ferris-bueller-and-ed-rooney-misunderstood/

I mean that literally... from a psychological diagnosis standpoint. He's a horrible, horrible person.

Shawn

Shawn

I'm just saying that very few of our movie icons were ever squeaky clean.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Basically, American Psycho is Ferris Bueller's Day Off 2 :p

Shawn

Shawn

And Indiana Jones destroys priceless temples to gain a single treasure.

Point is it's no fun watching Jones study and log ancient architecture for two hours.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cameron was delusional and Ferris did not exist.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Peter was the opposite of heroic. The ONLY thing that he did that wasn't directly to benefit himself was to save that kid in the car, and even then he left a bunch more people in danger. He literally got a minority honor student kicked out of Ozcorp by stealing his
ID, ruining that kid's possible placement in the intern program there... that's SUPER heroic.
You mean like letting a mugger go with a bunch of money that he could easily stop? That's not unusual for Pre-Spider-man Peter.

Even the muggers he stopped were only in search of Ben's killer.
You mean like he originally did in the Rami movies? The difference being that in the first Rami movie, he knew who he was going after and didn't have to go searching for him.

The only reason fans of the comics loved it is because the organic web shooters were gone, and he cracked a few jokes.
Nah, the organic web shooters were never a big deal to me. The fact that Peter had a sense of humor was a nice touch certainly, but Garfield was a better Parker in general beyond that, and as mentioned, other casting choices such as Emma Stone and Dennis Leary were also well done.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ferris Bueller is a figment of Cameron's imagination.

Tress

Tress

Ferris Bueller is a figment of Cameron's imagination.
sixpack beat you to it. :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

My wife and I recently saw the new Spider-Man, and while I liked it on the level of the first one, she loved it compared to the other trilogy. She usually hates it when I take her to see super hero movies, but she really liked the new Spider-Man.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Personally, I don't think the Raimi movies are aging well. It's been awhile since I've seen them, though.

I liked Amazing Spider-Man.

Bowielee

Bowielee

OK, so for all you who loved the movie. Explain to me exactly how the Lizard using a device to turn the people of New York into lizard people helps him in any way. Particularly when it's already been shown that the syrum wears off (the guards that he lizard bombed just went back to normal after a while). What was the point? At least Doc Ock, hell even Green Goblin, Venom and Sandman had clear motivations.

Shawn

Shawn

Conners/Lizard felt that he was the the next step of evolution for humanity, and his plan was to set that step into motion (You know. Classic villain stuff). If I remember correctly wasn't the serum perfected to be permanent, but they instead swapped it out for antidote at the last second?

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Well, you see...

Conners/Lizard felt that he was the the next step of evolution for humanity, and his plan was to set that step into motion (You know. Classic villain stuff). If I remember correctly wasn't the serum perfected to be permanent, but they instead swapped it out for antidote at the last second?
Actually, that about covers it. Gwen replaced the serum in the airborne dispersal machine with the antidote, curing anyone the Lizard had infected along the way.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't recall him perfecting it. Either way, it's still just beyond stupid. It seriously would have helped if they had done any character development of any of the characters outside Gwen and Peter.

Shawn

Shawn

Regardless, I enjoyed it enough to check out the second one. Especially with Paul Giamatti cast as The Rhino. I can't wait to see what kind of contraption they have him in.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I still liked Amazing Spider-Man better than the Tobey Maguire trilogy. Less US flag waving and more wisecracking, just like Spider-Man is supposed to be. Gwen was also not nearly as much of a damsel in distress as Mary Jane was.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

OK, so for all you who loved the movie. Explain to me exactly how the Lizard using a device to turn the people of New York into lizard people helps him in any way. Particularly when it's already been shown that the syrum wears off (the guards that he lizard bombed just went back to normal after a while). What was the point? At least Doc Ock, hell even Green Goblin, Venom and Sandman had clear motivations.
Did we watch the same movie? (realized I probably should have spoilered below)

Conners was presented as a very morally complex character. He was doing his research to better help humanity, being driven by the idea he could grow his missing arm. He even took a genuine interest in Peter, possibly out of guilt since Peters parent vanished and it was hinted he might have been partly involved. When his OsCorp handler told him to test the serum Peter and him made on homeless people down at the shelter, Conners refused, because it was morally apprehensive, which lead to the handler basically threatening to fire him and shut everything down. This is what drove Conners to try the serum on himself.

The problem was that the serum enhanced the creatures aggressive traits, so in the case of Conners his "drive to help humanity" took a dark turn in that he thought turning them all into Lizards would in turn be helping humanity evolve to the next level. Peter learned that Conners was the Lizard when he saw the mouse they injected earlier in the film eating the other mouse as a hideous lizard mouse.

Peter, having helped develop the serum, had also helped develop a cure strain (they didn't go into great detail about that, I admit) and told Gwen to get to OsCorp to brew it. She succeeded, and gave it to her father, who then rushed up to the top of OsCorp tower, giving it to Spider-Man. Spider-Man then switched out the Lizard serum with the anitode serum just before the timer went off. This dispersed over the city, which cured both Conners and all the police officers he transformed a bit earlier in the film. (It does not "wear off" like you imply, since it only showed the police officers turning back right after the antidote serum was dispersed).

As Spider-Man was about to fall off the OsCorp building to his death (his web shooters were damaged earlier in the fight), Conners reached over with his decaying arm and caught him, saving his life and showing that the Lizard influence was what drove him to horrible rage. He showed concern for the dying Captain Stacy, and later on, after the credits, a mysterious figure visits him in his cell talking about Peter's parents, to which Conners yelled for the figure to "Leave Peter alone!"

Hell, if anything my only complaint is that the Lizard ultimately carried the same story arch as the Green Goblin from the first film. Person creates serum that bestows powers, Person is about to lose funding/money because those funding him are not happy, Person attempts to use serum on self to show it works, Person is driven to near split personality by serum, Person does evil until he gets his one showing of clarity at the end.

evilmike

evilmike

Concept art from the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One – Avengers Assembled Blu-ray Collector’s Set (via FBTB, IGN)

Tress

Tress

I still think GoG is going to be too much for mainstream audiences to handle. It will look to "out there" for many people, and it's not going to do well at the box office.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm fairly certain the only reason they're doing Guardians of the Galaxy is so that it can build up the Infinity Gauntlet storyline for Avengers 2

Frank

Frank

Zoe Saldanna is playing Gamora.

Gonna be one skinny ass Gamora.

Edit - Eh, Google image searching, I guess she's always comic book proportioned. I always pictured her, for some reason, as more bulky. She Hulk influence I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1365023304][/DOUBLEPOST]
I still think GoG is going to be too much for mainstream audiences to handle. It will look to "out there" for many people, and it's not going to do well at the box office.
Marvel's Green Lantern is my most optimistic. I hope it's a better movie, but I think it'll perform just as poorly.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I don't recall him perfecting it. Either way, it's still just beyond stupid. It seriously would have helped if they had done any character development of any of the characters outside Gwen and Peter.
This. It really felt like the movie was a worthless reboot. It wasn't different enough, and I felt the acting, while better than the OT, was a bit weak (I'm blaming the director for that one). It still didn't feel like Spider-man. Maybe I know way too much about the comics, and it's too hard to see the movies without that filter in my head. Overall, I did like it better than Raimi's, but not enough to watch it more than once.

I really hope you're wrong, but I feel the same way. It's same for Green Lantern, Silver Surfer, etc.

Though, I really dig that Ralph McQuarrie-esque concept art.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If they are smart, they will cameo some of the known stars from the Avengers to help drive home the fact this is connected to that continuity. Thor would be a good choice, like maybe have Hemsworth narrate the trailers.

evilmike

evilmike

Marvel's Green Lantern is my most optimistic. I hope it's a better movie, but I think it'll perform just as poorly.
I think it should be able to do at least as well as Captain America and Thor. Quality issues of the GL movie aside, its marketing campaign had several missteps. The first trailer was pretty much awful and they were never able to counter the story about the SPFX problems. I'm not sure I know how they could have countered that story once it started. It's just that the story had a life of its own and hurt the lead up to the movie.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think it should be able to do at least as well as Captain America and Thor. Quality issues of the GL movie aside, its marketing campaign had several missteps. The first trailer was pretty much awful and they were never able to counter the story about the SPFX problems. I'm not sure I know how they could have countered that story once it started. It's just that the story had a life of its own and hurt the lead up to the movie.
Plus can anyone take the bacon suit seriously?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can see GoG being a new Star Wars.

But I could also see it being another Star Wars prequel.

Steve

Steve

With Disney owning both properties this could be their vehicle to merge the two universes. Have a few Star Wars characters show up in GoG. Then in the next Star Wars movie put in Captain America and Hawkeye. Avengers 3 you could bring in Chewie and Yoda as new members of the group. Disney, I've done the hard work. Now make it happen. (and yes I did get nauseous typing this.)

Frank

Frank

It's being made by James Gunn. I really like his work thus far. I have hopes.[DOUBLEPOST=1365115892][/DOUBLEPOST]
With Disney owning both properties this could be their vehicle to merge the two universes. Have a few Star Wars characters show up in GoG. Then in the next Star Wars movie put in Captain America and Hawkeye. Avengers 3 you could bring in Chewie and Yoda as new members of the group. Disney, I've done the hard work. Now make it happen. (and yes I did get nauseous typing this.)
That's magnificently terrible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, it was pretty bad to read as well :p. I really don't want this turning into a bad fighting game.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

That's what I think too. And to an extent, I don't really care about how the general audience responds to it, as long as it's a good movie. I'd like for it to do well and have them make more, sure, but I'll take one good GoG movie even if that's all we get. Better that than for it to go the Transformers route and make a lot of money and be crap.[DOUBLEPOST=1365120974][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's horrible. And I perversely enjoy the Star Trek/X-men crossover novel.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Wait, I just thought of something. If Disney now owns Marvel and Star Wars, will we be seeing reprints of the Marvel Star Wars comics?

evilmike

evilmike

Deadline is reporting that Michael Rooker has joined the cast playing a character from the original incarnation of the GotG team: Yondu.

evilmike

evilmike

HitFix has a fun rumor about the character Michael Rooker is playing. It's not Yondu, but Rhomann Dey.

In case you are wondering, Rhomann Dey gave powers to this guy:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

In case you are wondering, Rhomann Dey gave powers to this guy:
Blue blazes! :D

Frank

Frank

Apparently, Glenn Close is playing the head of Nova Corps. and the concept art of these ships are Nova Corps ship. There are also rumours of Adam Warlock being in the movie.

If half of the shit surrounding this movie is true, it's going to be both bloated and pure Marvel cosmic porn.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Not only is Glenn Close in this bad boy, but John C. Reilly too.

It would seem that the role the likes of Hugh Laurie and Ken Watanabe were being looked at for James Gunn's Guardians Of The Galaxy has actually gone to Glenn Close, as according to Deadline the multi-time Oscar nominated actress has signed on to play "a leadership role in Nova Corp, the intergalactic space patrol". In the comic this would be Nova Prime, but the site doesn't reveal whether that name will be retained, or any more info unfortunately. Close joins an already very impressive cast which includes Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker -- and it seems John C. Reilly is officially on board now also.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Karen Gillan has been cast

It's not known yet exactly what character she'll be playing, but what is known:
The Hollywood Reporter writes, “Details for Gillan’s role were not revealed, although it is known she will play the film’s lead female villain.”

I want to see this movie now.

Frank

Frank

Benicio Del Toro's been cast in a multi-movie optioned roll that's being kept under wraps. He's slated to be in more movies.

All I can think of is Dr. Strange or Adam Warlock. Maybe he's playing Thanos.

I dunno.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Benicio Del Toro's been cast in a multi-movie optioned roll that's being kept under wraps. He's slated to be in more movies.

All I can think of is Dr. Strange or Adam Warlock. Maybe he's playing Thanos.

I dunno.
I really hope it's not Thanos. I always imagined this guy at Thanos:

evilmike

evilmike

The panel at Comic-con

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Karen Gillan has been cast

It's not known yet exactly what character she'll be playing, but what is known:
The Hollywood Reporter writes, “Details for Gillan’s role were not revealed, although it is known she will play the film’s lead female villain.”

I want to see this movie now.

She is playing Nebula.

And she shaved her head for the role. :Leyla::aaah:

figmentPez

figmentPez

And she shaved her head for the role. :Leyla::aaah:
*curls up in a ball in the corner*

hair grows back... hair grows back... hair grows back...

Bowielee

Bowielee

At first I wondered why she would shave her head, but then I realized I hadn't really seen the character since one of the Infinity storylines, and that was, like, 15 years ago.

evilmike

evilmike

i09 has some pictures of props used in the movie.

One of the most interesting:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

God I'm trying not to get hyped for this movie, but they're making that difficult. Glad they're going with Star Lord's super sweet full mask helm and not that weird one he uses in recent books.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just don't see the general public taking to this part of the franchise. On the surface it looks like a harder sell than Pacific Rim.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I just don't see the general public taking to this part of the franchise. On the surface it looks like a harder sell than Pacific Rim.

1) It's a Marvel movie. That alone will put butts in seats.
2) It's basically a space opera. And Star Wars does sell.
3) ROCKET FRIGGING RACCOON.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

3) ROCKET FRIGGING RACCOON.
That is one of the main reasons that I think it will fail.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

B-b-but....it's a talking raccoon. A-a-and...he carries HUGE guns. And...teams up with a giant, talking tree character.

HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME!? :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Rocket Raccoon has actually gained a bit of a following since Marvel Vs Capcom 3. He's a bit more well known now and I'm wondering if his inclusion there was to help pave the way for people to go see the movie...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also from what I was reading in the Wikipedia article on the movie, James Gunn (the director) loves Rocket Raccoon's character so he's likely going to be a big part of the movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Much like Avengers vs Ultron should have the "Ultron! We would have words with thee!" line, I hope the movie has this or something equally badass.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

OH no. No no no. I want this.

Frank

Frank

I predict it will be an enjoyable film, moreso than most of the Marvel movies actually, but it will definitely be one of the least successful.

Audiences are terrible.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I predict it will be an enjoyable film, moreso than most of the Marvel movies actually, but it will definitely be one of the least successful.

Audiences are terrible.
I don't know... Chris Pratt? John C. Reilly? Karen Gillian? These are people that bring audiences in.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I too think that this will probably be one of the best Marvel movies and probably one of the worst received by audiences.

Tress

Tress

I don't know... Chris Pratt? John C. Reilly? Karen Gillian? These are people that bring audiences in.
When you list those names, most people will say "Who?", "Meh", and "Who?" in that order.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

When you list those names, most people will say "Who?", "Meh", and "Doctor Who?" in that order.

Fixed that for you. :p

BananaHands

BananaHands

All I know is that people said Thor was going to do terribly and that ended up being incredibly successful. I have faith.

Covar

Covar

CBR is reporting that Marvel Studios has started production.

Frank

Frank

Still no word on who's playing Rocket Raccoon eh?

We know Gillan is playing Nebula, Lee Pace is Ronan and Benicio Del Toro is The Collector.

Ian McShane would be a fucking rad RR.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Still no word on who's playing Rocket Raccoon eh?

Pauly Shore. :troll:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Pauly Shore. :troll:
Ahmed Best.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Still no word on who is going to play Groot.

He'll end up getting all the best lines.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Still no word on who is going to play Groot.

He'll end up getting all the best lines.
Hodor? Hodor!

evilmike

evilmike

AICN is reporting that Groot will be voiced by...
Vin Diesel.

They also have a few pictures of extras filming on the Millenium Bridge

Latino Review also has pictures:

Frank

Frank

Iron Giant-like voiced Groot. Works about as well as it ever could.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys I might cry.
[DOUBLEPOST=1376326131,1376326101][/DOUBLEPOST]And I need a change of pants.
[DOUBLEPOST=1376326170][/DOUBLEPOST]But you need to hurry to see the leaked trailer:
Part 1

Part 2[DOUBLEPOST=1376326465][/DOUBLEPOST]So let's go over this:

Rocket looks like a raccoon. He also fires from Groot's shoulder (good).

Gamora looks more sexy than strong (eh).

HELMET (HELMET)
[DOUBLEPOST=1376326732][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and because the videos are going to be knocked down soon. Here's every decent screencap you can get from that:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My inner 5-year old can't flarking wait to see Rocket Raccoon.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? I as an adult can't wait to see Rocket Raccoon.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This movie looks like it will be AMAZING.

And also like it will do terribly in the box office. :(

Frank

Frank

There's something completely right about John C Reilly being Nova Corps.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA

I CAN'T WAIT A YEAR FOR THIS.

Espy

Espy

I trust James Gunn. I probably shouldn't but I do.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

There's something completely right about John C Reilly being Nova Corps.
I wish he wasn't in this. I don't care for him. Oh well.

evilmike

evilmike

In case anyone missed it, here is a still-active link:
http://vk.com/video-28416224_165782862

BananaHands

BananaHands

I think he can pull off Rhomann Dey ...
And if it's anything like the comics, you'll really only need to worry about him for this movie and the beginning of a Nova one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm with you there, man. I've never understood the appeal of him.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Covar

Covar

fun fact, Galactus ate Nu-Earth because of that. Wasted a lot of energy to go there, said it had the nutritional value of a twinkie, but you kill future Galactus, he's going to eat your planet.

BananaHands

BananaHands

fun fact, Galactus ate Nu-Earth because of that. Wasted a lot of energy to go there, said it had the nutritional value of a twinkie, but you kill future Galactus, he's going to eat your planet.
He's killing the Ultimate Verse right now too. What a bro.

Covar

Covar

It was pretty awesome. Surfer discovers the body, picking up on the cosmic energy, alerts Galactus. Galactus demands that Reed Richards explains things before he decides to devour the earth for containing the future corpse of Bray Wyatt the eater of worlds. Reed tags along and goes down to Nu-Earth to try and help people evacuate.

BananaHands

BananaHands

It was pretty awesome. Surfer discovers the body, picking up on the cosmic energy, alerts Galactus. Galactus demands that Reed Richards explains things before he decides to devour the earth for containing the future corpse of Bray Wyatt the eater of worlds. Reed tags along and goes down to Nu-Earth to try and help people evacuate.
What series is that in?

Covar

Covar

Nu-Earth and the Galactus Engine were created in Mark Millar's run on Fantastic Four (meh), Galactus's destruction of it takes place in Hickman's Fantastic Four run (top notch).

Espy

Espy

Is Nu-Earth where bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit come from?

Tress

Tress

... because if so, I'm going to set out a plate and some silverware for Galactus.

BananaHands

BananaHands

That's the cancerverse.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern...

People keep talking about Rhomann Dey. I don't see a Nova Centurion in the trailer.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

People keep talking about Rhomann Dey. I don't see a Nova Centurion in the trailer.
The lights on the chest of the guy behind Reilly (which you can also see the tops of on Reilly's uniform) look like a version of the Nova Corps chest symbol to me.

Frank

Frank

Reilly and the guy who said A-holes, Peter Serafinowicz (the other room mate from Sean of the Dead) are both Nova corps officers.

evilmike

evilmike

Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern. Please be better than Green Lantern...

From the Comic-Con display:

Also, from the shooting location:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It already wins because it does not have a bacon suit and a CGI mask.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Blue blazes! Seeing Nova Corps makes me very happy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It looks like they might be more like powerless space-cops, rather than the Green Lantern rip-offs they can be sometimes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, I don't know who these nova whatevers are... or really much of anything about Guardians of the Galaxy (except that this movie looks spectacular) so what should I read to fix this?

Trades only, please, I'm not buying individual comics.

Frank

Frank

I give up, linking to Amazon just isn't happening.

It's like 100 bucks though for the first trade from a few years ago. Movie hysteria + out of print trade = big bucks.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So, I don't know who these nova whatevers are... or really much of anything about Guardians of the Galaxy (except that this movie looks spectacular) so what should I read to fix this?

The cosmic Marvel stuff was, as a whole, pretty spectacular, actually. It's like this epic, grand scale space opera with a lot of really cool secondary characters (like Nova and Darkhawk) given front, centre stage. Even better? It's incredibly self-contained, away from all the crap Marvel was doing at the time, like Civil War. It's even joked in an issue of Nova where he goes back to Earth and Iron Man says they thought it was some little squabble or something.

If you don't mind reading it all (or most of it), it's a pretty fun ride. My suggestion? Marvel collected the first two cosmic stories quite well:

There's Annihilation Vol. 1-3, followed by Annihilation: Conquest Vol. 1-2. The latter is where the GotG form for the first time, but of course, being a comic book team, membership changes. Their own book spins out of this event, but Frank's right. You could probably safely jump into the main title.

Personally, I think it'd be more enjoyable to start with Annihilation since other characters from it and Conquest show up. And they're just awesome, cosmic comics. That's coming from someone who's not usually a big fan of cosmic stuff.

Frank

Frank

Like Nick says, when Marvel was releasing bullshit like Civil War, they were secretly also releasing gold like Annihilation.

Unfortunately, all those God damn trades are a fucking mint now.

Yeah, Annihilation is crazy expensive too.

17 bucks listed price for the first trade, out of stock. Sellers selling it from 160 bucks and up. Seriously, pirating it may be your only option that isn't ridiculous bank breaking.

I don't use the comixology stuff so I don't know if it's on there for cheaper by the issue.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My only beef with the Cosmic stuff overall was the event after Conquest. The War of Kings was dull, not to mention harder to follow than their simple Volume 1, 2, 3 format before. Its big bad was also incredibly uninteresting, spinning out of X-Men crap that I had no interest in.

Of course, the fallout made it all worth it. The Thanos Imperative was the perfect conclusion to everything. But yeah, the War of Kings was definitely my least favourite part of the overall cosmic stuff.

Frank

Frank

I'd still take War of Kings over Avengers Vs Xmen.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You gotta love the '70s Marvel comics. Out of sight! Far out! I also can't believe people thought bell-bottoms and Farrah Fawcett hairdos looked cool.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'd still take War of Kings over Avengers Vs Xmen.
Hell yes. This. This a million times.

Far

Far

After seeing Elysium I want Sharlto Copley to voice Rocket.

klew

klew

These were the Guardians I read.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

These were the Guardians I read.
I don't see any tree or squirrel characters in that group. Therefore, they are vastly inferior.

klew

klew

I don't see any tree or squirrel characters in that group. Therefore, they are vastly inferior.
they had lots of teeth whitener

Frank

Frank

They relished their DEEEEEEP v-necks in the 30th century.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Nova Annihilation Book 1, reserved from a local library.

Libraries FTW, bitches!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Go nuts.

Necronic

Necronic

Like Nick says, when Marvel was releasing bullshit like Civil War, they were secretly also releasing gold like Annihilation.

Unfortunately, all those God damn trades are a fucking mint now.

Yeah, Annihilation is crazy expensive too.

17 bucks listed price for the first trade, out of stock. Sellers selling it from 160 bucks and up. Seriously, pirating it may be your only option that isn't ridiculous bank breaking.

I don't use the comixology stuff so I don't know if it's on there for cheaper by the issue.
Holy shiza. I have a couple of those.

Also the last one/ending is not so great imho. Now, the one where Nova gets hit by the Phalanx, that one is pretty sweet.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The only thing I'm disappointed by is not getting a Nova movie. Since Annihilation, he's pretty much been my favorite Marvel protagonist.

And he went out like a goddamn boss (even if it didn't stick, exactly)

Null

Null

I have no familiarity with the series, but I did see a funny post about it. "DC says that a Wonder Woman movie would be 'too confusing for the audience'" (Which, btw, what the fuck?) "Marvel says, 'Oh yeah? We're making a movie featuring a Space Raccoon With A Machine Gun.' Suck it."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It will be interesting to see how an actual comic book movie would do in this day and age.

evilmike

evilmike

brett white tweet.jpg

Null

Null

That's the one, evilmike.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

AWWW YEAH!

For those that can't find the trailer and want the best parts in GIF format, this article has it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That RR GIF is goshdarned amazing.

evilmike

evilmike

First look at Michael Rooker in costume (via io9)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't think American audiences are ready to take seriously a movie that has a live action anthropomorphic raccoon in it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't think American audiences are ready to take seriously a movie that has a live action anthropomorphic raccoon in it.
This movie might do okay, but it's not going to be the big hit Marvel wants it to be unless they promote it HARD.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Honestly, I think it depends on how it's marketed. The thing about comic book movies that Marvel has gotten pretty consistently right is that, when you get right down to it, all of this is really silly. I mean, really silly. Marvel thus far has kind of embraced that, to great comedic effect in what would otherwise have been pretty straight up action movies, and that's what's working for them IMHO. By the final "gritty" Batman movie, I found that I didn't give a damn about it because it wanted to be taken seriously, and I just couldn't do that. Avengers, on the other hand, reveled in how preposterous it all was without ever coming right out and asking me to take it seriously, and as a result worked way better.

I think with that mindset, you could totally sell a gun-wielding, talking raccoon, because I don't care who you are - that's funny.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think with that mindset, you could totally sell a gun-wielding, talking raccoon, because I don't care who you are - that's funny.

BananaHands

BananaHands

[OOGA CHAKA INTENSIFIES]

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This movie might do okay, but it's not going to be the big hit Marvel wants it to be unless they promote it HARD.
Marvel already has what they need to make this movie take off.

Ever since Iron Man, Marvel has been having movies lead into other movies, letting them pretty much cross-promote each other. Tony Stark appearing in Hulk, Thor's Hammer appearing at the end of Iron Man 2, the Cosmic Cube at the end of Thor leading into Captain America. Even things like Howard Stark in Captain America, and the ever present Nick Fury, have done a great job cross-promoting each movie.

This, more then anything, was one of the reasons the Avengers did so well. Yes many of us wanted an Avengers movie forever, but the general audience got hooked by seeing all these things build up over countless inter-tangled movie franchises.

If they are smart, they need to promote the Guardians of the Galaxy movie at some point in Thor: The Dark World, and later on have maybe a cameo of a character like Loki in the trailer. If they do that I know people are going to go see it just by the connection.

If they attempt to make it stand 100% on it's own? Yes, I don't see it being a hit.

Adam

Adam

RR will be the most popular character of the movie, calling it now.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I agree. Him and Groot make the series really. Very few people I know give a crap about characters like Star Lord.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I agree. Him and Groot make the series really. Very few people I know give a crap about characters like Star Lord.
If Star Lord is done right, I'm sure people will be a huge fan of him. Chris Pratt could probably make him an extremely likable character.

Frank

Frank

It's all gonna come down to the voice for me, but yeah, probably.

KEEP HIM COCKNEY!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just want it on record that "Star Lord" is an asinine name for a character, even if that character DID turn out to be lord of one or more stars.

Tress

Tress

...and "Rocket Racoon" isn't much better.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

RR will definitely popular with the kiddos. I see big toy sales/swag for this one.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Halloween costumes for RR will be great!

Hasn't Thanos been rumoured to play a larger background role in this film, helping set the stage for Avengers 3?

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

They've also introduced him into the Marvel Online game. I saw quite a few Rocket Racoons running about in beta.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This just in: Bradley Cooper has been confirmed as Rocket Raccoon.

Also, Marvel member Kevin Feige talked a bit more about the film and, while Thanos is the behind the scenes manipulator of the villains, the main bad guy for the Guardians of the Galaxy film is Ronan the Accuser.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hmmm... I wonder if they aren't planning on sprinkling in the Infinity Gem stuff through a whole bunch of different movies and then doing a full on Infinity Gauntlet movie, much like they did with the Cosmic Cube and The Avengers.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hmmm... I wonder if they aren't planning on sprinkling in the Infinity Gem stuff through a whole bunch of different movies and then doing a full on Infinity Gauntlet movie, much like they did with the Cosmic Cube and The Avengers.
That would be my guess. I'd expect to maybe see references and appearances of the various gems over the course of the films, leading up to Avengers 3.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It may not even fall under the Avengers banner. The Avengers themselves weren't actually a huge part of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Unless you count them all getting killed in 5 minutes flat by Thanos.

Espy

Espy

Bradley Cooper? Huh.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yep, that sure is a casting, all right.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I don't know... I don't mind it that much. I already figured they were going to drop the Cockney accent, so depending on how he does the voice I can see it working. Still wish they went with at least a real British actor though.

Frank

Frank

They are just attaching as many big names as possible at this point BUT, Bradley Cooper is actually pretty fucking good at voices and impersonation so there's that.

Dave

Dave

Disney has released the first official picture of Guardians of the Galaxy.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Also the WWE is bringing back Dave Batista (starring as Drax the Destroyer) for a short run to co-promote/sponge off the movies release.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... the first official image is a still from a trailer that was leaked to the public months ago? *yawn*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So... the first official image is a still from a trailer that was leaked to the public months ago? *yawn*
The trailer shot on a potato phone/camera from an odd angle at a convention? Don't be such a downer.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also I think most people knew this already but Vin Diesel is Groot, both in VA work and MoCap.

Also also this tidbit from a Bautista interview about getting the Drax part made me happy: "There’s a point where I go to set every day and I still can’t freaking believe I got this job,” said Bautista. “It’s something that I wanted more than anything I ever wanted in my life. When I got it, I broke down and cried like a little baby."

Espy

Espy

Just release a damn trailer already. You got what, 6 months or so to make people realize this movie is going to be awesome. Start working now or it's gonna FLOP.

Believe me I don't want it to flop, I love everyone involved with this film but I'm terrified no one but the diehard will bother to see it.

Frank

Frank

That has been my fear since it was announced.

Espy

Espy

That has been my fear since it was announced.
Yeah, I like that lots of folks are positive about it but I really, really think the general public is gonna just ignore it without the perfect publicity push. But I don't know what that is.

Shakey

Shakey

Yeah, I like that lots of folks are positive about it but I really, really think the general public is gonna just ignore it without the perfect publicity push. But I don't know what that is.
Like Pacific Rim. I don't think most people knew what to make of it, and it seemed like their big publicity push came at the last minute. They really need to start building some hype for it.

Espy

Espy

Like Pacific Rim. I don't think most people knew what to make of it, and it seemed like their big publicity push came at the last minute. They really need to start building some hype for it.
They probably should find a good marketing angle that ties it in to The Avengers or something. It's a low brow way to go about it but honestly I'm not sure what other direction would get people in the door?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm not sure what other direction would get people in the door?
Kill off one of the main cast members, blaming it on their work on the movie as the thing that pushed them over the edge?

It worked for Dark Knight.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Kill off one of the main cast members, blaming it on their work on the movie as the thing that pushed them over the edge?

It worked for Dark Knight.
Late into the night, Vin Diesel was heard rocking back and forth on the edge of his bed chanting "I am Groot. I AM Groot. I am GROOT." When they later found him, hypothermic and crushed under all that wood, so many wondered why they didn't see it coming. The critics were forced to admit that it was, however, the best performance he had ever given in any of his movie roles.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It would've been smart to at least throw a teaser before Frozen. Does Disney have anything coming out between that and Captain America 2? Because Cap's in April and three months isn't enough time to just be getting started with buzz for Guardians. Summer blockbuster season will be just around the corner at that point and people will already be excited about other movies. This is going to be forgotten if Marvel and Disney don't step up.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I know that the Super Bowl will have a trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

With Pacific Rim, there's also the "Looks like another crappy Transformers movie" bit from people who just saw that it had giant robots fighting, so not it's just people not knowing what to make it of, but thinking it looks like something bad.

Also, as a minor, comicbook-fan type of worry, I'm a little concerned about everything they're saying about Ronan in the movie (which isn't much, but still). The press release synopsis says calls him "a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe" and in interviews the actor has described him as "Thanos's admiral who hunts down the Guardians" and " a psycho...a real monster". He's the sort of guy that could work as antagonist really easily as a extremist of the law/his view of justice, but some form of power-hungry evil dude would be...disappointing.

Frank

Frank

With Pacific Rim, there's also the "Looks like another crappy Transformers movie" bit from people who just saw that it had giant robots fighting, so not it's just people not knowing what to make it of, but thinking it looks like something bad.
I don't believe that, since the next Transformers will probably make just as much idiot money as those before it.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I don't believe that, since the next Transformers will probably make just as much idiot money as those before it.
Transformers has some name recognition and nostalgia going for it, Pacific Rim did not. And I'm not saying everyone thought that, but it was part of it. I'm not just theorizing either, I actually heard people cite that as a reason they're not interested. It was disappointing.

Adam

Adam

Pacific Rim also wasn't that good of a movie either.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm still so excited.

Frank

Frank

Pacific Rim also wasn't that good of a movie either.
It was big dumb idiot fun done right, or more right anyway.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And still no ads for it. I would have thought that Disney would have started rolling out the trailers for it with the Super Bowl, but no. I guess they're going to save the first trailers for Captain America: the Winter Soldier.

evilmike

evilmike

James Gunn has said that there will be something "soon". I'm just not sure what it would be tied to other than maybe the Daytona 500.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

...And still no ads for it. I would have thought that Disney would have started rolling out the trailers for it with the Super Bowl, but no. I guess they're going to save the first trailers for Captain America: the Winter Soldier.
You saw the Tea Party's reaction to that Coke commercial. How do you think they'd feel if a bunch of ALIENS wanted to save the galaxy?

No no no. It had to be The Winter Soldier trailer because 'MURICA!

Tress

Tress

You saw the Tea Party's reaction to that Coke commercial...
Oh Nick, very funny!

...you ARE joking, right?

*does a Google search*

No. No no no no no. Fucking idiots. :mad:

BananaHands

BananaHands

THANKS OBAMA FOR A TALKIN' RACCOON THATS AN AFFRONT TO JESUS

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

THANKS OBAMA FOR A TALKIN' RACCOON THATS AN AFFRONT TO JESUS
I dunno, he seems pretty down with farm animals.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Oh Nick, very funny!

...you ARE joking, right?

*does a Google search*

No. No no no no no. Fucking idiots. :mad:
Oh it can't be that bad.

*googles*
*loses 10 iq points*

Thanks for that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My Sis-in-Law's Mom posted the English only America the Beautiful post on Facebook too... I just don't know her well enough to slap that post down.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

My Sis-in-Law's Mom posted the English only America the Beautiful post on Facebook too... I just don't know her well enough to slap that post down.
I just block people that ignorant that I can't remove without drama.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

See if you can find it being sung in a Native American language

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

James Gunn has said that there will be something "soon". I'm just not sure what it would be tied to other than maybe the Daytona 500.
I mean, I heard there is kind of a big event happening in Russia over the next few weeks.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

See if you can find it being sung in a Native American language

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Not sure if any of you are watching Hulk and the Agents of SMASH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hulk_and_the_Agents_of_S.M.A.S.H._episodes

But if you look at the characters they are introducing, it is very heavy on villains from space. I feel they are again using their cartoons to help familiarize their audience with characters that will be unveiled in the movies.

evilmike

evilmike

io9 is reporting that the first trailer will be available on the 18th!

Also, here are links to two very short clips showing test footage of Groot and Rocket Raccoon:
http://www.movieweb.com/movie/guardians-of-the-galaxy/groot-rocket-gun-fight-concept
http://www.movieweb.com/movie/guardians-of-the-galaxy/groot-rocket-gun-fight-concept-2

Also, the following is apparently not test footage of Groot and Rocket:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Ultimate Spider-Man had a season 2 episode about the Guardians. It wasn't half bad.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Starlord's costume looks terrible in that clip :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They also had a fun appearance on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Bowielee

Bowielee

They also make an appearance at the end of the Lego Marvel Heroes game. They've been building up some interest among kids and, well, geeks, but not in the overall movie going community. They only have one more movie before it is released to build hype.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'll be honest, I have no idea what Guardians of the Galaxy is.

I've watched every single MCU movie in theaters so far, but this is the first one I might end up skipping.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've watched every single MCU movie in theaters so far, but this is the first one I might end up skipping.
Exactly.

Tress

Tress

I've been saying this the whole time, but I don't think you'll be alone. Most people will not have any idea what this is and they won't go as a result.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The current incarnation of Guardians of the Galaxy didn't come about until 2008. They're a very new team so most people haven't heard of them. That's why I'm thinking they will be featured in the post-credits scene after Cap 2.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So wait, you guys only go see movies if you are familiar with the characters beforehand?

I've only seen a handful of the Marvel movies in theatres; Iron Man, Iron Man 2( Unfortunately), and Captain America 1 (Nope, didn't get to see the Avengers in the theatre). I know absolutely nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy and this forum was the first place I heard about it. But it looks very interesting and as such I'm planning on going for this one.

I do think that they need to market it carefully, because it looks so bizarre that with audiences being completely unaware of it I think it has the potential to turn a lot of people off. I'm certainly not the majority. But I don't think people being unfamiliar with the material automatically means it will bomb. Outside of comic book readers, Iron Man was essentially an unknown too and thanks to great casting he has become the linchpin of the Marvel cinematic universe. People weren't really aware of Thor at all as a Marvel character, and that's become huge as well in no small part, again, to great casting.

Its kind of a crapshoot really. It's going to come down to how good their marketing team is, but honestly I think they have enough under their belt now that slapping "Marvel Studios" on the front of the trailer will be enough to pull in those on the fence.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hopefully Disney fired the John Carter marketing team.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I'm just saying that if you can't market a smart-ass, BFG-wielding, talking raccoon space cop to a superhero-watching audience, you deserve to get fired.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Actually, Disney did fire them. Both the head of Disney Studios and the head of marketing were forced to resign.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They took "[...]Of Mars" out of the title for that thinking it'd turn people off. This movie remains called "THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY", which, let's be perfectly honest, sounds way stupider. I think its safe to say they learned a lesson there, or are at least willing to take a chance.

I never understood that thinking anyway. Honestly; "John Carter of Mars" might sound a little silly, but really, "Star Wars"? Come on. There's a ridiculous title, am I right?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

John Carter was DAMN DAMN good. Sad that it didn't do better.

Espy

Espy

John Carter was DAMN DAMN good. Sad that it didn't do better.
Totally agree. See: How a marketing department can totally screw over a good movie

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Trailer premiere during Jimmy Kimmel Live, tomorrow night.

evilmike

evilmike

Trailer premiere during Jimmy Kimmel Live, tomorrow night.
Here are a few screenshots courtesy of AICN:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

By god, Rocket Raccoon's gun is as tall as he is! :D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

By god, Rocket Raccoon's gun is as tall as he is! :D

bhamv3

bhamv3

So wait, you guys only go see movies if you are familiar with the characters beforehand?
Not necessarily. It's just that since I have a limited budget for movie tickets, I prefer to go for films that I believe have a higher chance of entertaining me. Sometimes it's due to having a cool trailer. Sometimes it's due to reading good reviews, or hearing good word-of-mouth. And yes, sometimes it's due to having characters I'm already familiar with.

Of course, this can backfire horribly. Stupid Robocop reboot.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Any chance for some larger high res versions of those pics?

Tress

Tress

Probably tomorrow after the trailer gets released.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Slightly higher res can be found here.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Pfft.

...Only the one image though.

Shawn

Shawn

It's very hard to take such a movie called "Guardians of the Galaxy" seriously when one of the members is a raccoon.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't think its supposed to be taken seriously.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's very hard to take such a movie called "Guardians of the Galaxy" seriously when one of the members is a raccoon.

None of them are really capable of guarding the whole galaxy. Not even as a team. The same joke/comment was made in the comic, especially after the team disbanded in favour of heavy hitters to create The Annihilators. I mean, if you want to nitpick, The Avengers don't really avenge, do they? A better name would The Rescuers, The Saviours, or The Bad Guy Beat'em Uppers.

Guardians of the Galaxy is still a great sounding name for a team.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, you don't even know.

He's a nasty little bastard.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If your intention was to take ANY comic book movie seriously, you have already missed the point of having a movie based on a comic book.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, but let's not pretend a talking, wisecracking raccoon doesn't pass an extra level of disbelief requirement level from your standard superhero fare.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yes, but let's not pretend a talking, wisecracking raccoon doesn't pass an extra level of disbelief requirement level from your standard superhero fare.
Maybe, but I don't really see it as all that crazy or unbelievable. Marvel and DC are chock full of talking animal or half-animal characters.

I mean holy crap, they gave HOWARD THE DUCK his own movie ages ago. People seem to forget he exists in the Marvel universe. Why does having a gun crazy raccoon make people stand back in disbelief?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Maybe, but I don't really see it all that crazy. Marvel and DC are chock full of talking animal or half-animal characters.

I mean holy crap, they gave HOWARD THE DUCK his own movie ages ago. People seem to forget he exists in the Marvel universe.
That movie is the reason why they forget.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe, but I don't really see it all that crazy. Marvel and DC are chock full of talking animal or half-animal characters.

I mean holy crap, they gave HOWARD THE DUCK his own movie ages ago. People seem to forget he exists in the Marvel universe.
Aaaand how well did that go over, do you remember?

(I do.)

Frank

Frank

I wonder if they're going to go with his batshit looney tunes fucking insane origin from comics or the origin from the cartoons (I can't remember if it was Mightiest Heroes or Ultimate Spider-Man) where he says he's just an alien that looks like a raccoon.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I dunno, animals given sentience to guard psychotic inmates in a walled off sector of the universe is pretty awesome as far as origins go. At least he's not another alien from a dead planet or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1392707988,1392707824][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and if you want weird as fuck characters?

Meet Doop.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Raccoons are killers, man, you better watch out.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

That movie is the reason why they forget.
Aaaand how well did that go over, do you remember?

(I do.)
All I am saying is, having a talking raccoon shouldn't put people in disbelief. You can find it silly, because it pretty much is, but I think disbelief is the wrong word when the character comes from a universe with a talking duck.

Hell, they let Squirrel Girl punch Thanos in the dick, and she had two sidekick talking squirrels named "Monkey Joe" and "Tippy Toe".

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

All I am saying is, having a talking raccoon shouldn't put people in disbelief. You can find it silly, because it pretty much is, but I think disbelief is the wrong word when the character comes from a universe with a talking duck.

Hell, they let Squirrel Girl punch Thanos in the dick, and she had two sidekick talking squirrels named "Monkey Joe" and "Tippy Toe".
...And unfortunately, we probably won't see Squirrel Girl turn up in a film.

That is the thing. Comics and live-action films are two different mediums. A comics reader would probably be more open to a character like Rocket Raccoon because comic books have had some pretty crazy stuff, but a moviegoer watching a live-action film might be a harder sell on such a character because of a different level of suspension disbelief required.

That said, I kinda want to see a new Howard the Duck film made sometime, one closer in tone to the satirical nature of the original comics.

Covar

Covar

You're using Squirrel Girl in a serious context, I'm automatically discarding your point.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You're using Squirrel Girl in a serious context, I'm automatically discarding your point.
That, as well. Squirrel Girl's meant to be a fun, jokey throwback to the Silver Age.

evilmike

evilmike

A preview for tonight's trailer

figmentPez

figmentPez

That is the thing. Comics and live-action films are two different mediums. A comics reader would probably be more open to a character like Rocket Raccoon because comic books have had some pretty crazy stuff, but a moviegoer watching a live-action film might be a harder sell on such a character because of a different level of suspension disbelief required.
I don't think the conflict is that it's a live action movie, because Jim Carrey movies have contained elements every bit as ridiculous as a talking Raccoon, and many of those were box office successes. I think the problem is that Guardiands of the Galaxy is action, Sci-Fi and trying for a serious tone. The same problem would arise if you had any character who doesn't look like they're tough enough. Can you imagine pitching "The Expendables" if Peter Dinklage were going to be one of the headline actors?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A preview for tonight's trailer
[DOUBLEPOST=1392740056,1392739964][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think the conflict is that it's a live action movie, because Jim Carrey movies have contained elements every bit as ridiculous as a talking Raccoon, and many of those were box office successes. I think the problem is that Guardiands of the Galaxy is action, Sci-Fi and trying for a serious tone. The same problem would arise if you had any character who doesn't look like they're tough enough. Can you imagine pitching "The Expendables" if Peter Dinklage were going to be one of the headline actors?
I don't watch the show, but isn't he kind of badass in Game of Thrones? With the right context, Peter Dinklage could be badass.

And who ever said Guardians of the Galaxy had a 100% serious tone? It's got a raccoon and a tree as main characters for cripes sakes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Actually I think I'd pay to see that.

But I think, the comparison here should be, it'd be more along the lines of The Expendables with Peter Dinklage in an Ewok costume in the lead.

In a sci-fi action movie, even one based on a comic, for most moviegoers a talking anthropomorphic raccoon, especially one named "Rocket Raccoon," is going to just be beyond the pale for them and it will cause them to write off the movie as soon as they hear about it. Because they'll be thinking "Avengers Avengers Avengers" and then hear "talking raccoon" and then they'll grind "avengers" gears against "Over the Hedge Over the Hedge Over the Hedge."

I still say this movie is probably going to flop.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

And who ever said Guardians of the Galaxy had a 100% serious tone? It's got a raccoon and a tree as main characters for cripes sakes.
That, and remember that James Gunn is writing and directing this. Considering his previous work, I'd expect him to not be totally serious and engage in some fun with the crazy that's there.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I still say this movie is probably going to flop.
I don't know if it'll flop, but I'm worried it won't do gangbusters sales like some expect. I think it'll do well enough just for flying under the Marvel and Avengers banners. All they have to do is say, "From the studio that brought you The Avengers!" and that gets asses in seats.

Covar

Covar

Here are a few screenshots courtesy of AICN:

I've been watching too much Parks and Recreation. I keep thinking "Burt Macklin, FBI"

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't watch the show, but isn't he kind of badass in Game of Thrones? With the right context, Peter Dinklage could be badass.

Yes, I think Peter Dinklage would be pretty awesome in an Expendables movie, but put him alongside Stallone, Statham, Lundgren, etc. and you'd struggle to have him seen as anything but comic relief if it were the first movie and you're still selling the concept. Put him in the third, or fourth, movie, and you can use him to mix up expectations. Putting him in the first movie's trailers, however, would be a much more difficult sell.

I, personally, don't think that the movie should have a 100% serious tone, but movie audiences have a really strange relationship with SciFi, and the public doesn't react well to SciFi that mixes comedic elements into it's seriousness. Maybe it's too much association with B-movies, but it's hard to get audiences to see that comedic elements can work as well in SF as they do in buddy cop movies.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Can you imagine pitching "The Expendables" if Peter Dinklage were going to be one of the headline actors?
Fuck yeah I can imagine that, it'd be awesome.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Yes, I think Peter Dinklage would be pretty awesome in an Expendables movie, but put him alongside Stallone, Statham, Lundgren, etc. and you'd struggle to have him seen as anything but comic relief if it were the first movie and you're still selling the concept. Put him in the third, or fourth, movie, and you can use him to mix up expectations. Putting him in the first movie's trailers, however, would be a much more difficult sell.

I, personally, don't think that the movie should have a 100% serious tone, but movie audiences have a really strange relationship with SciFi, and the public doesn't react well to SciFi that mixes comedic elements into it's seriousness. Maybe it's too much association with B-movies, but it's hard to get audiences to see that comedic elements can work as well in SF as they do in buddy cop movies.
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home? Galaxy Quest? And of course Men In Black was pretty much a sci-fi buddy cop movie. I mean, we can debate how comedic vs serious they are, but they're not Spaceballs level pure parody.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Or how about The Fifth Element?

Hell, even Star Wars is pretty light-hearted. Sure, it has plenty of serious moments, but there are many comedic moments (usually from Han, Chewie, and the droids). I think that might be exactly what they're aiming at here: a fun, not too serious space romp. And I'm down for that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392743168,1392743125][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fuck yeah I can imagine that, it'd be awesome.
Peter Dinklage in The Expendables would certainly give me a reason to bother watching those crap movies. I've only seen the first one and couldn't be bothered with the others.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home? Galaxy Quest? And of course Men In Black was pretty much a sci-fi buddy cop movie. I mean, we can debate how comedic vs serious they are, but they're not Spaceballs level pure parody.
Star Trek was an established franchise, and survived a very bland first film, it's definitely an exception. Galaxy Quest was billed as mainly a parody of SciFi. Men in Black is actually a good example, though I think it's more the exception than the rule. If I had more time it'd be interesting to try to figure out why it worked, and audiences still bought into it.

I'm trying to find an example of a good SciFi movie that has an outlandish character like Rocket Raccoon... and I can't. I mean, there are crazy characters in Men in Black, but they're not the heroes, they're comic relief, and not taken seriously. Will Smith may be slapstick, but otherwise he's an action hero; strong, confident and handsome. Star Wars is the closest thing I can think of right now, with Yoda, but those movies were a surprise success, and Yoda wasn't part of selling the first movie.

Assuming that Guardians of the Galaxy is actually a good film, are there any close comparisons to be made?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Assuming that Guardians of the Galaxy is actually a good film, are there any close comparisons to be made?
I mentioned Fifth Element above. That's probably closest to what we can expect, I think.

Something I just realized when I looked at the official team line-up picture: Rocket Raccoon is front and centre. I think that shows how much faith the studio has in him being the most popular character out of this. The strange thing is that aside from Dill (because you know, bias), I can't think of very many trigger happy anthropomorphic characters. ESPECIALLY in film. I mean yeah, Howard the Duck's anthropomorphic, but he's not this planet-saving badass.

Unlike Ewoks, Raccoon looks more badass than cute. In my opinion, anyway. And that's incredibly rare for what would normally be such a kid-friendly character.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Unlike Ewoks, Raccoon looks more badass than cute. In my opinion, anyway. And that's incredibly rare for what would normally be such a kid-friendly character.
See, I look at it, and I just see yet another dreamworks face. Marketing always tries to put a "badass" slant on their characters. You know Rocket's a hardass, I know he's a hardass, but Joe Moviegoer who thinks the rest of us are (at least) kinda nerdy will see rocket and think this:

overthehedge.JPG

Look at him. Look at that raccoon we are to believe is a badass.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

See, I look at it, and I just see yet another dreamworks face. Marketing always tries to put a "badass" slant on their characters. You know Rocket's a hardass, I know he's a hardass, but Joe Moviegoer who thinks the rest of us are (at least) kinda nerdy will see rocket and think this:

Look at him. Look at that raccoon we are to believe is a badass.
Except the two pictures aren't similar at all. One is on a poster for an animated movie with a bunch of other animal critters. And he's wielding a giant wagon full of food. BADASS!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Except the two pictures aren't similar at all. One is on a poster for an animated movie with a bunch of other animal critters. And he's wielding a giant wagon full of food. BADASS!
To Joe Sixpack on the street, there is no difference. Talking racoon here, talking racoon there. Dreamworks face. Judgement call made in less than half a second. The moviegoing public is not in a place where they can see/hear about a talking raccoon with attitude in a movie and not put it in that category.

Frank

Frank

Fruit. Fruit. Tits. Tits. Plant. PLANT.

It's the fookin' same!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I mentioned Fifth Element above. That's probably closest to what we can expect, I think.
Which is a fair comparison in a lot of aspects. It did well at the box office, and the villains were plenty cartoony. The hero, however, was straight up Bruce Willis. While The Fifth Element does show that you can manage to sell a comedic Sci Fi movie, that still leaves the problem that I think it's really true that convincing an audience that a Raccoon can be a hero would be a lot easier in a Disney movie, a straight up fantasy movie, or a Sci Fi film being marketed as a comedy, than it will be to convince audiences of that in a Sci Fi action hero movie.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Fruit. Fruit. Tits. Tits. Plant. PLANT.

It's the fookin' same!
Except now Turnip's a vampire.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The thing with GotG books is they're not all that serious most of the time either. Star Lord's kind of a smart-ass prick, Drax doesn't talk much, Groot is pompous, RR is like a haggard old war vet, and Gamora spends a lot of dialogue making fun of Star Lord. I think the only guys on the team that really even get along are RR and Groot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

One has to remember, this movie will be viewed and judged without the context of the comic book. It's not a top tier title (even arguable if it's a B-list title), so for most movie consumers it's exponentially more obscure, to the point of pretty much might as well having never existed in the first place, as far as they're concerned.

Tress

Tress

One has to remember, this movie will be viewed and judged without the context of the comic book. It's not a top tier title (even arguable if it's a B-list title), so for most movie consumers it's exponentially more obscure, to the point of pretty much might as well having never existed in the first place, as far as they're concerned.
This.

Don't bother talking about how weird the comic is, or how light/dark the comic is. No one will care outside of comic nerds, and they represent just a faction of the larger audience. Most people will see this, think "WTF?!", and skip it. Whatever happens in the comic or larger Marvel universe won't matter to most people.

klew

klew

Is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" a fair comparison? It made over $150 million in the US back in 1988, and with today's higher ticket prices and thousands of screens (is there 3D for this?), it's safe to say GotG could reach that in less than 3 weeks. Would Marvel Studios be happy with less than $200 million in the US? Replace detective story with sci-fi action, and the slapstick cartoon antics with modern snark and one-liners to pull in the people who loved that film; you've already got the comic and Marvel film fans.

Tress

Tress

My guess is less than $200 million would be considered a failure.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" a fair comparison? It made over $150 million in the US back in 1988, and with today's higher ticket prices and thousands of screens (is there 3D for this?), it's safe to say GotG could reach that in less than 3 weeks. Would Marvel Studios be happy with less than $200 million in the US? Replace detective story with sci-fi action, and the slapstick cartoon antics with modern snark and one-liners to pull in the people who loved that film; you've already got the comic and Marvel film fans.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit was marketed as a kid's movie, and all the hype was built around the technological marvel of having cartoons interact with live actors. Nowadays we're not even impressed by good CGI any more - in fact, we expect it - take it for granted even, and "bad CGI" that would have been mindblowing 25 years ago is a major strike against a movie. They even had half hour "making of" specials running on network television in advance to pump it up to the people. That's not happening with GotG. It's being marketed as an action blockbuster a-la The Avengers with their own gun-toting Scrappy Doo. It's a question of "can the marketing convince dad's coworkers down at the office." It'd be a tall order to begin with, and I'm not sure they're doing so.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" a fair comparison?
Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny appeared in the same movie. No, it's not a fair comparison at all. It's not a SciFi action drama. It's a slapstick comedy that is mostly a play on the film noir genre.

The closest analogues to Guardians of the Galaxy are all animated films. Titan A.E. and Rise of the Guardians are both closer than WFRR. Despite being an amazing film, Rise of the Guardians failed at the box office, probably in large part because people couldn't see past the goofiness of the concept; and it's an animated fantasy film, which I think is an easier sell for goofy concepts than SciFi action with a more realistic visual style.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny appeared in the same movie. No, it's not a fair comparison at all. It's not a SciFi action drama. It's a slapstick comedy that is mostly a play on the film noir genre.

The closest analogues to Guardians of the Galaxy are all animated films. Titan A.E. and Rise of the Guardians are both closer than WFRR. Despite being an amazing film, Rise of the Guardians failed at the box office, probably in large part because people couldn't see past the goofiness of the concept; and it's an animated fantasy film, which I think is an easier sell for goofy concepts than SciFi action with a more realistic visual style.
That's a really good comparison and salient point.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

It's a question of "can the marketing convince dad's coworkers down at the office." It'd be a tall order to begin with, and I'm not sure they're doing so.
Well, they're certainly not doing so right now, but then, they also haven't begun any real marketing push yet. It's hard to judge how successful their marketing is going to be without knowning what they're doing for it. A month or two from now, when there's actually been something (assuming they don't just release the trailer tonight and that's it), it'll be another matter.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think what's most confusing about this movie's release is the absolute lack of marketing push. Usually you can't get away from Marvel movie ads, especially online, but this one's barely been a blip on the radar. It makes me think Ant Man's marketing is going to be pretty lackluster as well.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Another problem is that GotG is a MCU film, ostensibly in the same universe as all the other MCU films. The contrast in tone is massive. Imagine Captain America fighting the Nazis alongside a raccoon.

Far

Far

Another problem is that GotG is a MCU film, ostensibly in the same universe as all the other MCU films. The contrast in tone is massive. Imagine Captain America fighting the Nazis alongside a raccoon.
This is legitimately why I'm excited. I won't say that the marvel movies have gotten bad, because that would be a bald faced lie, but they have felt pretty by the numbers for awhile now. I'm hoping Guardians has enough to breath some new life into them.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Yeah, that would be like having a WWII supersoldier, guy in powered armor, Norse god, and giant green rage monster fighting against an army of aliens led by another Norse god. Who'd watch that? :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, that would be like having a WWII supersoldier, guy in powered armor, Norse god, and giant green rage monster fighting against an army of aliens led by another Norse god. Who'd watch that? :p
True, true.

Still though... a raccoon...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

A comic book movie with anthropomorphic talking animals in it?!

Bowielee

Bowielee

A comic book movie with anthropomorphic talking animals in it?!

Which was for quite some time the highest grossing non-studio film of all time.

HOWEVER, it also had the strength of being tied to an insanely popular franchise at the time.

Like other people have said, the lack of marketing this close to premier is troubling. It shows an extreme lack of faith from the studio.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Stranger than Iron Man fighting Extremis goons alongside a 10 year-old?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Stranger than Iron Man fighting Extremis goons alongside a 10 year-old?
Perhaps not, indeed!

Shawn

Shawn

I can't wait for someone to take a bunch of clips of Rocket Racoon, and combine it with the intro music for The Racoons.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I can't wait for someone to take a bunch of clips of Rocket Racoon, and combine it with the intro music for The Racoons.
I thought the Raccoons was more or less unknown outside Canada.

Shawn

Shawn

Screw that. I was one of those lucky kids who's parents subscribed to the Disney Channel before it sucked.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I know nothing about GotG. An anthropomorphic badass raccoon doesn't sound problematic to me. That's not to say it won't be silly. I don't think it has to be by default.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, a 10 year old is more believable than a talking, gun-toting raccoon.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think people got a little caught up in my silly references to Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck that my overall point was lost. So I will be blunt.

The marvel universe is full of utter wacky insanity. I don't have issues believing a raccoon with guns is part of a space crime fighting force because this is the same universe with a silver guy that rides a surf board through space.

Do I think general movie-going john and jane will be turned off by someone like Rocket Raccoon? Who knows. Anthropomorphic characters have had hits and misses since cinema began. I honestly don't think RR will break this movie more then the shitty marketing or if the story blows chunks.

evilmike

evilmike

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What a bunch of A-holes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think people got a little caught up in my silly references to Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck that my overall point was lost. So I will be blunt.

The marvel universe is full of utter wacky insanity. I don't have issues believing a raccoon with guns is part of a space crime fighting force because this is the same universe with a silver guy that rides a surf board through space.

Do I think general movie-going john and jane will be turned off by someone like Rocket Raccoon? Who knows. Anthropomorphic characters have had hits and misses since cinema began. I honestly don't think RR will break this movie more then the shitty marketing or if the story blows chunks.
Your point wasn't lost, the counter point that was made was, as far as movie sales go, the comics (and therefor the "marvel universe") are irrelevant and might as well not even exist.

Edit - ok, I watched the trailer. I liked that they were very self-effacing about how dumb a name "Star Lord" is, and downplayed Rocket a little. And yes, the A-holes line was good. We'll see what happens.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

As I said, I think the strongest point in its favour is flying under the Marvel/Avengers banner. That alone gives me hope it'll do better than, say, Pacific Rim

On the bright side, however it sells over here, you can guaran-damn-tee it'll sell like gangbusters in China and Japan. They love weird shit.

Also, if this trailer doesn't tell you that this movie is totally a fun, light-hearted sci-fi romp then I don't know what to tell you. The Star Lord stuff with "Obscene Gesture Alert" alone should've sold it for you.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I will say that Rocket is the only character in this group that I have 'heard' of before the movie was announced. He is 40ish after all.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

So it's just the trailer they showed at Comic-con then, that's a bit disappointing. Nice to see in full quality, sure, but still. Starlord comes off as more typical "Chris Pratt lovable oaf" in attitude than really fits the character, but we'll see how that holds over the whole movie.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

What I'm seeing in this thread is basically these three endlessly looping conversations of confusion, which have by now merged into one giant mecha confusing endlessly looping conversation.

"I won't watch this movie because it looks kind of silly."
"But it's supposed to be kind of silly."
"How can I take it seriously when it looks so silly?!"
"But it's supposed to be silly. You aren't supposed to take it seriously."
"But the general public won't ever take something so silly seriously."
"I don't think this movie will do very well, they aren't promoting it well enough, and its a kind of silly universe for joe shmo outsiders to get into."
"Whaaaaaaaat? I'm super excited for this movie."
"You are not the joe shmo outsider to the universe I am referring to."
"But I'm going to see it."
"But unless they pick up their advertising, many won't"
"But I just told you I am"
"But you aren't many"
"But... I'm GOING."
"Aw man, Rocket Raccoon, Fuck yeah!"
"The movie going public will never pay to go see a movie with a rocket toting raccoon."
"What? I never said anything about the movie going public. I am looking forward to it for these reasons [x,y,z reasons]"
"The movie going public doesn't care about [x,y,z]"
"Well I'm going to see it because it looks fun, and I like Rocket Raccoon"
"Well the movie going public won't"

Far

Far

I liked this response from reddit:
prat.gif

Was hoping for to hear Rocket speak though.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ladies and gentlemen, Karen Gillan...

as Nebula!

Karen Gillan Nebula.png Karen Gillam Nebula 2.png

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yup, I am now officially looking forward to the movie.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Very happy they went with the "Genetically Modified" angle for RR rather then making him an alien.

Far

Far

"Has a tendency to bite"

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ladies and gentlemen, Karen Gillan...

Goddamn... I'm scared.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Burt Macklin, you son of a bitch!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So yeah I still know next to nothing about this series except what the trailer has revealed to me, and I'm still in.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think the trailer gave me a better idea of what to expect from this movie. I am now going from "might see this movie" to "will probably see this movie, maybe on DVD after it comes out."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Edit - ok, I watched the trailer. I liked that they were very self-effacing about how dumb a name "Star Lord" is, and downplayed Rocket a little. And yes, the A-holes line was good. We'll see what happens.
The trailer was really played up for non-nerds, I think. Having them in a police line-up is a perfect excuse to introduce each super-obscure character. They have the tone right, too, in that they really are kind of a bunch of a-holes. That works perfectly with the underdog feeling that comic has, so it looks like the movie is making all the smart marketing decisions there.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, that trailer was great. Would have liked to hear the rest of the team interact a bit, but all in all

Frank

Frank

Screw that. I was one of those lucky kids who's parents subscribed to the Disney Channel before it sucked.
Have you seen The Raccoons and the Lost Star? It's seriously one of the most surreal kids movies ever made.

Frank

Frank

When people think of the Raccoons, it's invariably this song that comes to mind:

Shawn

Shawn

Have you seen The Raccoons and the Lost Star? It's seriously one of the most surreal kids movies ever made.
I have... in chunks, over the course of the years. It's one of those specials that has been hard to track down. Never found it on youtube, or for sale. And don't turn me towards questionably legal options because I won't click.
I do remember a music episode however where they had a bunch of clips from the Lost Star and a few of the other specials edited together for some music videos.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Finally, a solid marketing team. Let's see them ramp this up to 12 till release and we'll be in solid.
We need Happy Meals and kids toys stat. For the love of fuck, they better not do a delay on the release while the marketing blows up either.

That trailer though:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hopefully we get a longer trailer with Cap 2, maybe with more focus on the rest of the team.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

"Hooked On a Feeling" has been stuck in my head all day.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

"Hooked On a Feeling" has been stuck in my head all day.
OOGA CHAKA

OOGA OOGA

Me too

OOGA CHAKA

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hopefully we get a longer trailer with Cap 2, maybe with more focus on the rest of the team.
Unlikely. They'll probably just use the same one.

Shawn

Shawn

With Rocket being voiced by Bradley Cooper I'm honestly surprised they didn't give him a single line.

Shakey

Shakey

It's a good intro to the movie. It doesn't really say much about what it's about, but I'm sure that's to come.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I wanted to see this before based on the buzz. Now I want to see it even more.

Also, since six months ago, my local library network has picked up four volumes of Guardians of the Galaxy, all of which are currently out or on hold, so I'm taking this to mean others are also interested in reading about it now.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Pro: No cutsey Smurf voice.
Con: No cockney accent.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Do you ever get the feeling that the reason Marvel has not put out much promotional material yet, is that they are behind schedule?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here's more videos regarding the other members of the team.

Frank

Frank

The Kree look really cool. Well, the one Kree they keep showing. With Ronan being the bad guy hopefully she's a Kree.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The Kree look really cool. Well, the one Kree they keep showing. With Ronan being the bad guy hopefully she's a Kree.
Fun fact: according to James Gunn, Marvel apparently only partially owns the film rights to the Skrulls and definitely doesn't own the film rights to the Badoon. So, neither alien race will turn up in the film. Apparently the Sakaaran will be showing up in this, however.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I just realized something: there will very likely be people who are offended that the "evil aliens" in this are called The Kree. Specifically, Native Americans.

Obviously, this is a ridiculous connection, but it wouldn't surprise me. There were groups, after all, angry about Idris Elba playing a Norse god, while another group petitioned a name change for Lord of the Rings: Two Towers because they believed it was purposely called that to make money from 9/11.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, the Skrulls went with the Fantastic Four rights, I know that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392935547,1392935480][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just realized something: there will very likely be people who are offended that the "evil aliens" in this are called The Kree. Specifically, Native Americans.

Obviously, this is a ridiculous connection, but it wouldn't surprise me. There were groups, after all, angry about Idris Elba playing a Norse god, while another group petitioned a name change for Lord of the Rings: Two Towers because they believed it was purposely called that to make money from 9/11.
I'm part Cree and I don't think any right minded Cree would care.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm part Cree and I don't think any right minded Cree would care.
Key words, there. Right minded people woudln't get offended by trivial stuff like that. But it wouldn't surprise me if we hear something like this once the movie comes out.

Probably from Fox News.

Frank

Frank

Key words, there. Right minded people woudln't get offended by trivial stuff like that. But it wouldn't surprise me if we hear something like this once the movie comes out.

Probably from Fox News.
Cree are almost entirely Canadian, Fox won't care.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Fox doesn't know the difference between Cree and other types of native Americans.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fox doesn't know the difference between Cree and other types of native Americans.
To Fox, they're all just Un-American foreigners taking all our jobs.
(Good lord, I think I just killed brain cells writing that.)

Gryfter

Gryfter

Looks like a fun ride, I will see it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They have now released a poster:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The image doesn't show. I'll put it up here:
guardians-poster-welcome.jpg

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Thanks. It looks like the marketing is playing up the fact that the general audience will have no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Thanks. It looks like the marketing is playing up the fact that the general audience will have no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.
That's the smart thing to do, IMO. Hanging the lampshade is almost always successful.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well the movie going audience has next to no knowledge of any comic book characters, so you have to sell it based on a theme or by star power.

Now Burt Macklin FBI, that name has some star power!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Why is Zoe Saldana's butt not facing the audience? I thought that was required for comic book movie posters?

Steve

Steve

I'm really excited to see this movie. I have watched the trailer a dozen times. Great job at introducing the main players and showing the tone of the film which appears to be light hearted. I wish we'd see another trailer for X-Men DOFP. When both projects were announced I was more excited for DOFP but seeing the trailers for both that excitement has shifted to GotG.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well the movie going audience has next to no knowledge of any comic book characters, so you have to sell it based on a theme or by star power.

Now Burt Macklin FBI, that name has some star power!
You thought I was dead. So did Rocket Raccoon...'s enemies.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Espy

Espy

I hate to say it but they need to play up Bradley Cooper doing RR's voice. There's your name recognition.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hate to say it but they need to play up Bradley Cooper doing RR's voice. There's your name recognition.
They've really got an actor for everyone in this movie. Karen Gillian for the Doctor Who fans, Bradley Cooper for the average moviegoer, Vin Diesel for the action (and geek) crowds, etc etc.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bowielee

Bowielee

This is still what pops into my head every time I hear that song.

And I barely even watched Ally McBeal.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Really? Not the David Hasselhoff version? It was Gangnam Style long before Gangnam Style.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is still what pops into my head every time I hear that song.

It might be because it was one of the first internet memes, and the Ally McBeal show just appropriated it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ugh, I did, but not my choice. When I lived with my sister for awhile, she watched it every Monday evening back when it was on. Unfortunately, its running time cut into the first half hour of Monday Night RAW. As a HUGE wrestling fan at the time, during a boom in the wrestling business (fall of 1999), this was aggravating.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

mmmmmmm Courtney Thorne-Smith!

Also;

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

For me the Ooga Chukka part just makes me think of the Offspring's "Special Delivery". That song was on repeat in my CD player for a good chunk of grade 9. That whole CD was my own personal soundtrack to Rollcage for Playstation 1, because nuts to the actual soundtrack of that game.

So I wish it were the Ooga Chukka part I was getting stuck in my head. But instead I'm getting the first verse playing over and over again in my head with the first two lines of the chorus because I don't know the lyrics to the rest of the song.
My head just keeps going
I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me
Girl, you just don't realize
What you do to me

I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing....

I'm hooked on a feeling

I'm hooked on a feeling

GasBandit

GasBandit

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

A lengthy interview with Chris Pratt, James Gunn and Kevin Feige (Skip ahead to 40sec):

GasBandit

GasBandit

New Footage Leaked! Spoilered for possible spoiler.

bhamv3

bhamv3

New Footage Leaked! Spoilered for possible spoiler.

I'm speechless at how far CG graphics have come.

Just Me

Just Me

I'm speechless at how far CG graphics have come.
Talk about showing my gf The Last Starfighter just last week to 'show off' its CG for comparison...

BananaHands

BananaHands

"My Name is Groot!" - First Clip of Groot's Voice!
EDIT: Sorry for the April fools guys!

GasBandit

GasBandit

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That was unkind.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wow, that was... kinda weird. Though in a good way, I think. Vin Diesel's voice is almost unrecognizable, probably due to all the post processing they've done to it, but you can still sort of recognize it's him through the inflections.

Also, who was that girl he was talking to? I don't think she was in the trailers, though granted we didn't really see a good shot of her face. Minor throwaway character, or major surprise they haven't revealed yet? Would be awesome if it's intended to be Janet Van Dyne, to tie in with the Ant-Man movie.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sorry guys.

I might have actually done some damage there.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Huh. Looks like Nathan Fillion has a part in Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116899

Espy

Espy

Huh. Looks like Nathan Fillion has a part in Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116899
I really hope it's just a random shot of Mal or the crew of Serenity sitting in a bar. Like just for 5 seconds. Camera can pass them by and thats it. Bam.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The two women in the movie training before filming.

Spoilered for DAT ASS.

Frank

Frank

Broken link dude!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GasBandit

GasBandit

It shows fine for you because it's in your cache. Your browser checks your cache before actually retrieving the media in question. That way, the site's hotlink protection never comes into play.

For everybody else, you can usually overcome this by simply right-clicking the broken image and saying "view image in new tab." That removes the referral code, which in turn gets you past the hotlink protection in 90% of cases.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

More fight scenes? More Gamora? More Nebula? Possible Mal cameo (even if he's just sitting at a bar in the background)?

Man, this movie is going to be awesome.

Frank

Frank

It shows fine for you because it's in your cache. Your browser checks your cache before actually retrieving the media in question. That way, the site's hotlink protection never comes into play.

For everybody else, you can usually overcome this by simply right-clicking the broken image and saying "view image in new tab." That removes the referral code, which in turn gets you past the hotlink protection in 90% of cases.
On this one it gives a forbidden page.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Kay, tried that. Fixed, I think. Too much discussion on the link fix for a harmless little pic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

On this one it gives a forbidden page.
Odd. What can I say... it usually works, and did work for me this time. Might depend on the browser.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Odd. What can I say... it usually works, and did work for me this time. Might depend on the browser.
Forbidden page for me as well. Going to home domain and then following image address worked, though.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Spidey Senses tingling! Epic tush not available to common viewers?!

Have no fear Webslingers! Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man is here to save the day!

gotg-fight.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

It sounds like we should be getting the second trailer soon.

In the meantime, here is a new screenshot of Nebula:

BananaHands

BananaHands

It sounds like we should be getting the second trailer soon.

In the meantime, here is a new screenshot of Nebula:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hope this role makes her career. I'd hate to think she shaved off all that wonderful hair for nothing.

Celt Z

Celt Z

You would think he would like her MORE like that. She looks like a living TARDIS.

evilmike

evilmike

You would think he would like her MORE like that. She looks like a living TARDIS.
Maybe that is his "I have the weirdest boner right now" face?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe that is his "I have the weirdest boner right now" face?
:Leyla:

GasBandit

GasBandit

I couldn't decide which to use, so...

weirdestboner.JPG

evilmike

evilmike

I couldn't decide which to use, so...

View attachment 14730
The most disturbing part of that whole presentation is how it shows that Arnim Zola was apparently once a little girl...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

1530304_589617801153246_7786644849761702314_n.jpg

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also, new trailer on Monday.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Man, that's a very Star Wars-y poster. I love it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've decided that I'm going to try to avoid everything that I can about this movie going forward. I want to view it relatively clean from expectations and hype.

That being said, I'm reading the hell out of the comic now that I finished Annihilation and Conquest.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Very Star Wars-y, which I like. I like the other poster a little better, with the neat pulp-y sci fi book cover look to it, and the incredibly ballsy tagline "you're welcome". But I like that one way or another, they are not doing the incredibly boring floating head movie poster design of modern movies.

Aside from the new trailer on Monday, there is also going to be a live Q&A session apparently.

Espy

Espy

Good poster but it should have been painted, Drew Struzen style.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

NO WORDS, SHOULD HAVE SENT A POET

Frank

Frank

So in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have to admit they're marketing better than I thought they would. Maybe it won't be a complete flop after all.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

August needs to hurry up and get here.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Sold!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'M THROWING MONEY AT MY SCREEN, BUT IT WON'T GIVE ME MOVIE TICKETS

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'M THROWING MONEY AT MY SCREEN, BUT IT WON'T GIVE ME MOVIE TICKETS
THROW HARDER! I THINK I SAW A MESSAGE FROM FANDANGO POP UP!

Far

Far

Stole this from reddit but the comment was "I like this scene of Starlord breaking Rocket out of prison."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Since it seems the video @CynicismKills posted is kaput, here's another of the same.

Yeah, it looks like twenty flavours of awesome. Not sure about Cooper's voice for Rocket, since previous voices had him with an Australian-like accent, but that's a minor nitpick at most. The trailer also distinctly lacked in the Ooga Chucka department, but it's still awesome.

Far

Far

The trailer also distinctly lacked in the Ooga Chucka department, but it's still awesome.
Yeah but "Spirit in the Sky"!

evilmike

evilmike

New Poster

(via FBTB)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

evilmike

evilmike

Cheesy posted it on Friday.
Oops. I'm still playing catchup after my trip.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Uh, okay.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Everything needs more Nick Offerman.

Gusto

Gusto

My body is ready.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Thanos. Josh Brolin will be playing him.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118979

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ha, does that mean Kerri Green will play death?

Gryfter

Gryfter

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Thanos. Josh Brolin will be playing him.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118979
I am completely okay with that casting.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*nods agreeably* Yep.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Apparently it's a year-ish old, but found this concept art floating around on /co/.

evilmike

evilmike

Character posters (via Den of Geek 1,2)

Covar

Covar

Someone get a Hawkeye initiative version of that Drax poster stat.

Null

Null

Someone get a Hawkeye initiative version of that Drax poster stat.
I thought the Hawkeye Initiative was to highlight the ridiculous poses that female characters are put into, to illustrate how silly they would look for male characters (usually Hawkeye). Since Drax is male, how would that work?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think he just meant to Rule 63 it.

Covar

Covar

I'm making fun because Drax is toppless with his ass towards the camera .

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm making fun because Drax is toppless with his ass towards the camera .
If only it were Groot in this pose... ;_;

Covar

Covar

:megusta:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, Groot's totally naked and full frontal. What more you want?

Fun Size

Fun Size

Whatever. They still use cropped shots to hide his root.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Whatever. They still use cropped shots to hide his root.
http://oglaf.com/stamen/

Just Me

Just Me

Null

Null

Someone's got wood.

Celt Z

Celt Z

You guys are nicer than me. I hear "tree sex" and this is the first thing I think of.

evilmike

evilmike

Another new trailer

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Can't wait.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not enough ooga chucka.

Shakey

Shakey

That trailer will get people who had no idea what gotg was before in the seats. Very well done.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bad timing on my part to have started watching Parks and Recreation recently. Now I can't see Starlord as anything but Andy.

evilmike

evilmike

Bad timing on my part to have started watching Parks and Recreation recently. Now I can't see Starlord as anything but Andy.
Maybe that's the problem Korath has in the trailers.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can't help but see...

Covar

Covar

Reposting this here for you.

dt5JKVY.gif

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It looks like we'll have a new superhero in this movie aside from the Guardians. Blue blazes!

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/201...he-galaxy-end-credit-scene-possible-spoilers/

Celt Z

Celt Z

I can't help but see...

Could be worse...

emmet.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, I guess it's nice to see someone typecast as a goofball (and only a goofball) get so much work.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

evilmike

evilmike

I fail to see how adding Lego to anything would make it worse...

Besides, think of the crossovers:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Holy useless decorative winglets, batman.

Celt Z

Celt Z

:notes:"Everything is Nova! Ev'rything is cool when you guard the galaxy!":notes:

Covar

Covar

Well, I guess it's nice to see someone typecast as a goofball (and only a goofball) get so much work.
Apparently he's in Zero Dark Thirty. Which seems so odd to me. That said I love Andy so seeing Chris Pratt in anything makes me happy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Holy useless decorative winglets, batman.
They're speed winglets. They make the ship go faster.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They're speed winglets. They make the ship go faster.
The stripe is the wrong color then. Every git knows its da red wuns dat go fasta.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Maybe they are for atmospheric flight and they fan out to give it more lift for turning?

Null

Null

Maybe they are for atmospheric flight and they fan out to give it more lift for turning?
It does look pretty agile. They're probably both directional thrusters for fine maneuvering in space and control surfaces for atmospheric flight.

GasBandit

GasBandit

(hikes up his waistband)

Well let me tell you fellas somethin, I've built a kerbal spaceplane or two in my day, and that's not how you do atmospheric flight! Putting all the winglets at the very back, well behind the center of mass, is just a recipe for nosing into the dirt as hard as possible.

Hhyyyeep. Yep yep yep.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

(hikes up his waistband)

Well let me tell you fellas somethin, I've built a kerbal spaceplane or two in my day, and that's not how you do atmospheric flight! Putting all the winglets at the very back, well behind the center of mass, is just a recipe for nosing into the dirt as hard as possible.

Hhyyyeep. Yep yep yep.
I'm assuming the ship has some sort of lift generator that lets it fly already... but at high speed, unless you are using jets to turn it, you'd need the winglets in an atmosphere.

Or they could just be decorative because everyone needs to be able to tell between make and manufacturer at a glance when identifying if a target is one of yours or not.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Shut up, it looks cool.

That's why they're there.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I...

oh...

oooohhhhh...

Hoo... wow... sorry about that. I um... I'm going to need to go change.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Niiiiiiiice.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

YES.

Hang on. That's not a proper enough yes to get my point across.

YES.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

oh man I hope that's true.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Espy

Espy

That would be amazing and totally not surprising given his connections with James Gunn.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Sorry guys.
The rumors of my pal @NathanFillion playing Nova in #guardiansofthegalaxy have been greatly (and entirely) exaggerated. Sorry, humans.

Espy

Espy

If only it was because he'd been cast as Hal Jordan in the JL movie… sigh… :(

OR if Firefly was getting a new season!

Sigh. :(

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That's why I refused to believe it. As much as I'd love to see him in the capes genre, I doubt it'll happen. Not the first time he was rumored for something and turned out to be false.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I doubt we would hear "new casting news" 5 weeks before the premier.

Adam

Adam

I'm sure he's just going to play Mal from Firefly in a background scene, which would still be just as cool.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm sure he's just going to play Mal from Firefly in a background scene, which would still be just as cool.
I thought I'd read that somewhere already... Was that this movie, or did he do it in another movie already?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Mal and Wash walking through the background of some spaceport would be amazing.

... wait...

oh, I forgot :(

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I did get a kick out of seeing Serenity flying in the Battle Star Galactica mini-series.

Espy

Espy

I thought I'd read that somewhere already... Was that this movie, or did he do it in another movie already?
I think we talked about it here quite a bit. I haven't heard it anywhere else. SO IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE IT'S ON THE INTERNET!!!! YAY!!!!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think we talked about it here quite a bit. I haven't heard it anywhere else. SO IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE IT'S ON THE INTERNET!!!! YAY!!!!
I googled around, and apparently they were teasing it on the movie gossip rags back in April.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Mal and Wash walking through the background of some spaceport would be amazing.

... wait...

oh, I forgot :(

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

If they turn Nova into a trilogy, they have a lot of good material.

Nova 1 - Origin story, possibly ending with the New Warriors being formed.

Nova 2 - The Annihilation Wave destroys Nova Corps and Rider leads an intergalactic resistance a la Commander Shepard.

Nova 3 - The War of Kings storyline. Rider reactivates Nova Corps and helps get the galaxy back on its feet.