[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

Sorry, man. I get what you are trying to say, but I just don't agree. Even in that portion of your mind's eye, an Earthling would only be able to conceptualize only so much. But alien technology would far surpass it at least at first.
Honestly, I am not sure what you even mean by that. Why would I have limits in how I conceptualize a made-up world? I am not attempting to wrap my head around anything real, because it can't be applied to this. I am pointing out that as a observer looking into a fictional world with norse gods, space warlords, and gamma irradiated monsters, I find a hero is cheapened when another society way more advanced is shown to exist in the same universe, using tech that is stronger then what makes the one hero "unique".

It's like finding a planet of creatures where the middle class in said society all have the strength of the Hulk, it takes away a bit from him when he loses that unique vibe of the strongest being in the galaxy to what could be a whole army of what one world considers "regular" people.

Again, it's just me. I am not saying they should have made GOTG look like Medieval Times in space. I just was musing over something that always hits me in these types of stories.

Actually I'm not that impressed with the alien tech in GotG, a high security prison with no smart guns only authorized guards can use and the space fighters only have mini-cannons no high energy beam weapons bah!

Actually I'm not that impressed with the alien tech in GotG, a high security prison with no smart guns only authorized guards can use and the space fighters only have mini-cannons no high energy beam weapons bah!
Well, realize it was a fringe facility where they pretty much stuffed the crooks inside and let them do whatever. I think the hope was that even if they rioted and won, they wouldn't have anywhere to go. No need to pump a lot of units into it, or whatever they called their currency, since it was supposed to be bare bones.
Though that does leave the question why they had Peter's ship parked in the frigging prison complex. Did budget cuts force them to drive it there? Why take it with them in the first place when they could just leave it impounded on Xandor? Haha now I am getting nitpicky.

Though that does leave the question why they had Peter's ship parked in the frigging prison complex. Did budget cuts force them to drive it there? Why take it with them in the first place when they could just leave it impounded on Xandor?
Y'know, I think that one works, as an explanation. No-prize for you!

Later I learned that I had essentially realized Bresenham's algorithm
I've independently discovered Fibonacci's sequence and Pascal's triangle, and I remember the excitement of, "Ahhh! There's a pattern to this! I've discovered some sort of universal secret!" Oh wait, it already has a name and was discovered hundreds of years ago. Drat.

As far as 3D goes, I accidentally saw 3D Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland when I meant to go see 3D Avatar because the attendant hit the wrong "A" title when printing the ticket. That said, seeing them both so close together really showcased the difference between post-process 3D (glorified shadow boxes or multiplane camera) and actual, filmed-in-3D 3D.

--Patrick

You know, I really like Djimon Hounsou, but he shouldn't have been used in this movie. That dude is the Black Panther God damn it.
Holy shit I was thinking that exact same thing. Especially since he mentioned wanting to play a black superhero since his son apparently said something about only light-skinned people can be superheroes. (Anthony Mackie said much the same thing about Falcon in an interview, I think - that the character had always meant a lot to him because he was an African-American who was a respected full-on superhero). I understand there's a lot more to the character than that, but having a well-respected African actor play T'Challa, the ruler and protector of Wakanda, a hyper-advanced African nation, would be very appropriate. (As opposed to say, hiring Will Smith.)

I saw this movie with my dad on my birthday. See, when I was little my dad worked hundreds of miles away and he'd only be home for a couple days every few weeks. One of the things we'd do was go to the drive in and see sci-fi movies or watch them on the VCR. One time there was a double-feature of Last Starfighter and Return of the Jedi. So seeing sci-fi action movies with him is kind of a link back to that. Anyway, he was never into comic books and he's only seen about half of the Marvel movies so this wasn't about the brand for him. And he thought it was great. I thought it was amazing. We both really enjoyed it and are eager to see more.

GotG is one of the first movies I've seen opening weekend in probably 15 years or so. I almost always wait a week or two.

Okay, so I've gotten sort of the impression that, overall, you seem to be of a mind that this is a fairly decent movie, perhaps worth going to see? I have four free tickets lying about, so I ought to try and take my girlfriend to something else besides Hobbit III this year :p
Seriously, though, does one need to know much of anything about the previous movies and/or the comic world to enjoy this one? I've seen some of them - Iron Man, Thor 1 and 2, Captain America - but not others - the Avengers, Iron Man 2 and 3, Winter Soldier - and while my girlfriend has seen the same as me, I'm fairly sure she couldn't name them, let alone really remember anything from them (ok, I exaggerate, but you get my point).

Short answer, nope.

Longer answer, just go see the movie, it stands on its own the same way all the Marvel studios movies that aren't sequels do.

I've independently discovered Fibonacci's sequence and Pascal's triangle, and I remember the excitement of, "Ahhh! There's a pattern to this! I've discovered some sort of universal secret!" Oh wait, it already has a name and was discovered hundreds of years ago. Drat.

As far as 3D goes, I accidentally saw 3D Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland when I meant to go see 3D Avatar because the attendant hit the wrong "A" title when printing the ticket. That said, seeing them both so close together really showcased the difference between post-process 3D (glorified shadow boxes or multiplane camera) and actual, filmed-in-3D 3D.

--Patrick
Man, the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland is probably the best example of how not to do 3D. It was deplorable.

Stop harshing my mellow by incorporating your real world problems into my fantasy escapism entertainment medium...:mad::mad::mad:

There was a recent GotG arc where Iron Man goes with them and basically feels inadequate the entire time. It was actually pretty funny.
He and Gamora bone, she makes him feel like an idiot for thinking it'd be anything more than sex. It's fantastic, he's constantly put in his place.

The impound at The Kyln also had all their personal weapons as well as their clothing - Gamora's blades, Rocket's quad-barrel gun, Drax's knives, etc. It might simply be that ALL their belongings were sent along with them. Why? Who knows, might be Nova Corps policy for some unfathomable reason. But if they're holding the characters' weapons on the prison, a ship isn't that far fetched either.

The Nova Corps is probably undergoing massive budget cuts just like every other law enforcement agency. I guess the Great Recession had a ripple effect.
I figured they should have lots of job openings, but I can see hazard/death&dismemberment pay being an issue.

Whelp.
Kharma is a bitch.
Hailey wouldn't stay quiet during the movie so I took her out of the theater and didn't get to see anything past the prison scene.

Oh well...

Everyone's already discussed it to death so I'll just do point form:
  • Awesome. Fun really is the only real way to describe it. Everyone compares it to Star Wars or Indiana Jones but the raw emotional reaction for me was basically the same as the Lego Movie. Just. Plain. Fun
  • IMAX 3D= Not worth it. I knew it wouldn't be but my friends insisted. Post conversion 3D is a waste of money. Took me half the movie for my eyes to adjust
  • Three weak points to the film:
    • The relationship between Quill and Gamora was way too quick. I bought where they wound up by the end of the movie, but Gamora letting Star Lord get as close to her as he did on Knowhere seemed incredibly out of character based on what we knew of both of them at that point
    • Weak villains. Ronan had more fleshing out than say, Malaketh, but ultimately there's not much there. He pales in comparison to Loki, or even Whiplash (Iron Man 2 was shit, but seriously Whiplash was one of the most fleshed out villains we've gotten so far- think about it)
      And Nebula? Forget about it. She's barely in the movie. The only solace is that she's almost certain to come back
    • Peter Quill's dad. This is a minor gripe but I felt like they could have set that up better.
  • None of those weak points were deal breakers for me, because the movie more than makes up for it with just being gorgeous, funny, and just delightful
  • I seriously have not seen a movie theatre that size so full since opening night of Fellowship of the Ring. It was PACKED. Glad we bought advanced tickets.
  • Randomly, the seat in front of me was occupied by a friend from college who I haven't seen since graduating and thought was living in Los Angeles. So that was weird.

Last edited:
I also have a theory on who Star Lord's dad is. Whether it'll be true or not, I don't know, but it'd be a handy way to introduce him to the Marvel Movieverse:

Warlock

Finally got to see it tonight, like you all already know, it was pretty great.

As a major fan of these guys from the comics, I noticed that that this one had a looser adaptation of the characters than the other marvel movies, which isn't terribly surprising given that they're not as well-established and Cap, Tony, the Hulk, et al are. They did a good job with them though, the only two I felt were lacking were Drax and Ronan. Drax because, while being a super literal walking thesaurus is good for a few jokes, it's a more one-note characterization comparatively and led to some clunky dialog ("Let's put more of this liquid into our bodies!"). And I'm not surprised that they went the direction they went with Ronan since they made him the big bad, but I do find his Lawful Neutral personality from the comics more interesting than the genocidal maniac take. Still, these are minor complaints. I'll be seeing this again.

Finally got to see it tonight, like you all already know, it was pretty great.

As a major fan of these guys from the comics, I noticed that that this one had a looser adaptation of the characters than the other marvel movies, which isn't terribly surprising given that they're not as well-established and Cap, Tony, the Hulk, et al are. They did a good job with them though, the only two I felt were lacking were Drax and Ronan. Drax because, while being a super literal walking thesaurus is good for a few jokes, it's a more one-note characterization comparatively and led to some clunky dialog ("Let's put more of this liquid into our bodies!"). And I'm not surprised that they went the direction they went with Ronan since they made him the big bad, but I do find his Lawful Neutral personality from the comics more interesting than the genocidal maniac take. Still, these are minor complaints. I'll be seeing this again.
I'll admit I was a tad disappointed that they dropped the whole "genetically created to destroy Thanos" portion of his character.

GasBandit

Staff member
And speaking of Chris Pratt's big transformations, here's his regimen for getting back into "Andy" shape now that GOTG is out!