[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

I like how that russian parent hardly seems phased by it. Like this isn't even the worst thing that has happened this week.

Matter of fact, I wouldn't get too attached to that cable and netflix either.
That's one of my greatest fears about being forced to upgrade to a widescreen TV. A tube TV could withstand being stabbed with a screwdriver. An LCD TV will bruise if you hit it too hard with a peanut, or fold like a napkin if you hit it wrong with a Bic pen.[DOUBLEPOST=1407192775,1407192736][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like how that russian parent hardly seems phased by it. Like this isn't even the worst thing that has happened this week.
I don't think he realizes that his display is physically broken yet. He probably just thinks the kid knocked it out of alignment or something.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
That's one of my greatest fears about being forced to upgrade to a widescreen TV. A tube TV could withstand being stabbed with a screwdriver. An LCD TV will bruise if you hit it too hard with a peanut, or fold like a napkin if you hit it wrong with a Bic pen.
Yep, you can have kids, or you can have nice things. Either or.

GasBandit said:
Yep, you can have kids, or you can have nice things. Either or.
When my son was little, he had this weird obsession with dumping his drinks on the TV screen. I can only assume he was trying to share with TV characters. We had to dump that TV because the lower half of the screen was nothing but streaks of dead pixels, and the speakers shorted.

I saw in on a full-size IMAX screen and thought the 3D looked good. A couple of instances in the beginning of what I'm calling the cardboard set effect, where depth is obvious, but foreground elements look flat. Past the opening scene I stopped noticing.

That said, there weren't any gimmicky uses of 3D, nor were there scenes that looked like there was something going on in 3D that you'd miss in 2D.
That'll seriously break my immersion. If something happens that screams at me, "We did this because 3D!" I end up rolling my eyes and it breaks the illusion even worse than seeing a boom mike.

--Patrick

That'll seriously break my immersion. If something happens that screams at me, "We did this because 3D!" I end up rolling my eyes and it breaks the illusion even worse than seeing a boom mike.
That was the reason 3D was shelved for so long. It was nothing but gimmicks like "OMG Jaws ate that guy and a spleen flew at me!" or "Ahhh Captain Eo is flying at my head!" Avatar was the first movie where the director basically went in and decided to keep the 3D in the background rather then throwing it into the foreground, keeping it more subtle, allowing it to enhance the medium rather then use it as a silly thing to throw visuals at peoples faces. It's why it's back in vogue.

There's two scenes I can think of where something comes right at the screen and then falls away, and that's in the entire two-hour movie. It's a pretty great flick for 3D.

I only ever have the option to see 2D. My wife has an eye condition that keeps her from seeing 3D.
Honestly I've never minded though. 3D isn't an experience that has ever changed my life enough that it seems to be worth the extra money to upgrade.

I only ever have the option to see 2D. My wife has an eye condition that keeps her from seeing 3D.
Honestly I've never minded though. 3D isn't an experience that has ever changed my life enough that it seems to be worth the extra money to upgrade.
The ONLY movie that I thought was worth the 3D was The Avengers.

Avatar, for me. Every other movie I've tried in 3D has either been a murky shithole or a kids' movie with shit flying out of the screen every minute. I'll keep my extra $5 per ticket, thanks.

Not to mention, at our theater it seems the obnoxious phone-crazy douchebags are more present at the 3D showings, so if they want to keep drawing that crowd out of 2D screenings, I thank the movie studios for riding this 3D thing.

You know, for a set of movies that really shouldn't involve any logic, I find myself sometimes getting hung up on the nature of technology. For example, Tony Stark is supposed to be a genius at invention and mechanical science. Then you go into space and there are whole worlds with perpetual energy systems, tractor beams, seemingly faster then light travel, force field technology, etc...

I don't know, it kind of cheapens Tony a bit when I imagine some mechanics at the Nova Corps designing super interweaving ship blockade systems that can stop a warship. Yondu has a weapon that would make old Tony Stark probably cream his pants, since it's a super fast, user guided missile (arrow) that could take out a whole city without so much as a scratch to collateral. And that is owned and used by what amounts to a galactic pirate. Tony attempts something similar in IM3 for his suit and it breaks apart accidentally hitting the edge of an oil rig.

I've got an old Avengers comic where iron man goes head to head with Ronan and Tony can't even scratch him.

You know, for a set of movies that really shouldn't involve any logic, I find myself sometimes getting hung up on the nature of technology. For example, Tony Stark is supposed to be a genius at invention and mechanical science. Then you go into space and there are whole worlds with perpetual energy systems, tractor beams, seemingly faster then light travel, force field technology, etc...

I don't know, it kind of cheapens Tony a bit when I imagine some mechanics at the Nova Corps designing super interweaving ship blockade systems that can stop a warship. Yondu has a weapon that would make old Tony Stark probably cream his pants, since it's a super fast, user guided missile (arrow) that could take out a whole city without so much as a scratch to collateral. And that is owned and used by what amounts to a galactic pirate. Tony attempts something similar in IM3 for his suit and it breaks apart accidentally hitting the edge of an oil rig.
I don't understand how this is a disconnect. Aliens capable of interstellar travel have more advanced technology than earthlings. How does that cheapen human accomplishments, especially when humanity at large barely know that aliens exist?

It's always been a thing in comics - or hell, in sci-fi in general - that alien stuff is always superior and more advanced than Earth-made stuff. I don't see how that's an issue.

Plus, I bet anything that should Tony go to space or the Guardians come to Earth, you can bet they'll do a thing where he reverse engineers some of their stuff. I can see him and Rocket getting along well, actually.

Especially given that the races out there zooming around the universe are presumably centuries more technologically advanced than earth. Hell, in the comic, the Kree were screwing around with our DNA when we were barely evolved past primates.

There was a recent GotG arc where Iron Man goes with them and basically feels inadequate the entire time. It was actually pretty funny.

I don't think he'd be worthy. Good guy as he is, he's still a space pirate. Even some of the more pure superheroes in the Marvel Universe weren't considered worthy enough to lift Thor's hammer, so I don't think a space pirate is going to be able to.

Like I said, I know I shouldn't even think about it. I am just saying my own brain has issues not letting a hero like Tony feel a bit cheapened when I imagine some pink skinned mechanic going to his 9-5 job making way more advanced technology. It makes what Tony does and his accomplishments feel less grand in the "larger" scheme of things. I still love the character, just musing over that odd issue my brain has when it comes to technology in these movies.

Like I said, I know I shouldn't even think about it. I am just saying my own brain has issues not letting a hero like Tony feel a bit cheapened when I imagine some pink skinned mechanic going to his 9-5 job making way more advanced technology. It makes what Tony does and his accomplishments feel less grand in the "larger" scheme of things. I still love the character, just musing over that odd issue my brain has when it comes to technology in these movies.
Though, seriously, as a philosophical issue, if there happened to be aliens out in the universe, how do their accomplishments cheapen ours?

Though, seriously, as a philosophical issue, if there happened to be aliens out in the universe, how do their accomplishments cheapen ours?
Depends on what they have. If they had clean, perpetual energy for thousands of years, and here we are still arguing over fossil fuels and pumping shit in to the atmosphere, then our accomplishment in those fields looks downright primitive. Yes, it's a great accomplishment for that monkey that he learned a few words of sign language to speak with his trainer, but next to thousands of years of written language and development in literature, a signing monkey looks like a circus show.

In the end we value our accomplishments because they are OUR accomplishments. I will always value something I did, even when someone else did it way better then I have. That is how we are. I was speaking as an outside observer looking into the grander scheme of things in regards to tech in the cinematic marvel universe.

I think you can actually expand it to the larger question of the Avengers' (and other Earth heroes) heroic accomplishments. What is the measure of your worthiness when the Nova Corps is out putting out galactic fires. I remember a bit from a post-Annihilation Nova comic where Nova took Iron Man to task for having a hissy fit with Cap while the galaxy burned, despite the Avengers actually being capable of actually affecting events. In a lot of ways, Earth's heroes are desperately limited by their perspective, even though that perspective should have appreciably widened by now, but they wield power that can affect much more than just Earth (as some current storylines are finally touching on).

So no, I don't think Tony will feel cheapened. Challenged, yes, cheapened, no.
Here is where I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I know Tony does not feel cheapened. I never said he felt that way, or that citizens on Earth in the marvel cinematic universe felt that way. They don't know any better, and even if they did, they wouldn't downgrade their own accomplishments anymore then I would just because some other guys does it better.

The thing is, I don't consider the place in the movies to be "Earth", I consider it to be "Earth-199999". It's about as valid a world as Azeroth or Middle Earth in my mind. I look at these places not in reference to my own reality, but instead look at them like an Ant Farm, where I am the guy towering over them, looking through the glass and seeing what little reality they have developed for themselves. I am the godly figure hovering through space and time watching these other beings and judging them through my lens of omnipotence.

In that perspective, when I see the ants down in the lower catacombs kind of meander around, with one showing a few signs of strength and intelligence, yes that is pretty cool, but then I add some new ants to the top who build a better colony and notice that even the drones above are as smart and intelligent as that one ant from the lower colony, and his accomplishment in my ever-gazing judgmental god eye is going to feel cheapened in comparison to the grander scheme of the farm. It does not mean he actually is in the story, just in my mental god eye.

Can you guys understand now?

Dave

Staff member
Sorry, man. I get what you are trying to say, but I just don't agree. Even in that portion of your mind's eye, an Earthling would only be able to conceptualize only so much. But alien technology would far surpass it at least at first.