[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

Here's how I see this playing out:

Worst case scenario - This movie will be shit. It will fail spectacularly.

Best case scenario - The movie might be made well, but no one is interested. The property is just too "out there" for most of the audience, and it flops. Maybe, just maybe, it recoups losses in DVD sales with a strong comic-fan backing.

My money is on the worst case scenario, but I would be happy to be wrong on this one.

I wonder what sort of Roster they're going to go with.

That name has belonged to a few versions of groups. I'm thinking they'll probably stay away from the original group (seeing as most of them are pretty much ridiculous).

Probably close to the Avengers cartoon lineup I'd take a guess on.

As long as Rocket Raccoon is there. If he isn't, well, there's no fucking point is there?

When you think about it, it does fit with the direction they are going for the movies now. In the movies before, it never really involved space, mostly keeping to Earth (Thor you could say skirted the line, like it always has, with it's persuado sci-fi). Yet now, after the Avengers, we are going to obviously have more galactic ties, and Guardians of the Galaxy will give them a chance to keep that part of the universe fresh in peoples minds, maybe even help establish "you know who" leading into the next Avengers movie. They can't do it with the X-Men or FF, so they had to do it with someone.

Though I still wait for the day they make a Heroes for Hire movie. So much potential.

So, I'm constantly being told Cosmic Marvel of the Civil War and beyond era is far better than the more terrestrially bound stuff. Can any of you give me some recommendations of trades that are good places to read the good stuff (other than Annihilation itself, that's a given).

Pretty much if Thanos or Adam Warlock are on the cover. It's usually a good bet to be good. (Infinity Crusade aside). Unfortunately, I focused more on the earthly books after Civil War, and I haven't read ANYTHING beyond Seige.

So, I'm constantly being told Cosmic Marvel of the Civil War and beyond era is far better than the more terrestrially bound stuff. Can any of you give me some recommendations of trades that are good places to read the good stuff (other than Annihilation itself, that's a given).
Nova starts after Annihilation, and it's a great read. Guardians of the Galaxy begins after Annihilation: Conquest. To be honest, it gets rather confusing after that, with the War of Kings event.

The trades up until then are great because the Annihilation volumes #1-3 cover everything you need. Ditto for Conquest.

Also, Civil War sucks.

Civil War was Marvel burning the barn down to have one hell of a party. Afterwards they pretended the barn was still up, with every post civil-war reference to registration going down as follows:

Hitler/Iron man: "This big threat is hear and we need the help of you heroes that aren't registered, I know I'm supposed to arrest you but if you help I'll let it slide while we take care of it."
Unregistered hero: "Ok, I'll do it, since I'm clearly morally right"
Bush/Iron man: "Ok now it's done, time to arrest all of you! Drats! they got away, NEXT TIME YOU'LL BE IN JAIL"

Not to mention you have the "fair and balanced view of both sides," Until Marvel realized that sane people were actually agreeing with pro-registration, so quick! Swerve to make Tony comparable to Hitler!

The worst offense? Like every other Marvel event since with the exception of Siege, Only 3 issues worth of story decompressed into 7 issues. And they still couldn't write a decent ending for it.

No, the worst thing about Civil War is that it is what necessitated (or gave an excuse for) One More Day. Decades of Spider-man, down the drain because the guy in charge wanted him like he was as a kid.

Not to mention the fact that, despite what the writers and editors said, you can't just read Civil #1-7 on its own without needing to read the other titles to get the full story.

That is always my biggest issue with these events and why I've stopped buying mainstream comics in general. The main story doesn't make a lot of sense without the inbetween stuff in other books.

When the big cross-overs started (Crisis on Infinite Earths/ Secret Wars) They were almost entirely self contained. As comic companies learned that they would make more money by making other books essential, most modern cross-overs are totally not understandable without the tie in books.

Agreed. Even most of DC's annual summer events during the 90's were mostly self-contained. I still enjoy many of them: Zero Hour, Underworld Unleashed, Final Night. Some were total crap, like Genesis and Day of Judgement.

When the big cross-overs started (Crisis on Infinite Earths/ Secret Wars) They were almost entirely self contained. As comic companies learned that they would make more money by making other books essential, most modern cross-overs are totally not understandable without the tie in books.
Yeah, and that was incredibly short-sighted seeing as how dead the comic book part of the comic book industry has become.

Comic sales this year are up 14% over last year. AvX (crap that it is) sells gangbusters for Marvel.

In related news PC gaming is dead!

http://ifanboy.com/articles/marvel-...movie-rights-to-fox-in-exchange-for-galactus/

Interesting. Fox's rights to Daredevil run out in October unless they have a movie. They are in negotiations with Marvel to retain the rights to the property. In exchange Marvel wants Galactus and Silver Surfer. It would make sense. Could see this tie into the Guardians of the Galaxy in some way. And I doubt Fox will ever use Galactus again. If they keep The Fantastic Four there are more than enough villains to fill several movies. I would love to see Marvel handle Galactus and Surfer.

That would....rule?

Actually, sounds good to me. Doug Jones as Silver Surfer was about the only thing that movie did right.

They have cast Star Lord -- Chris Pratt from Zero Dark Thirty and Parks and Recreation. (via First Showing)
Hrm, that is not one of those casting choices that is an obvious fit. I've only seen him as a boisterous, jock type character, which is not a good fit for Starlord. Still, maybe that's just the type of role he's played thus far and he'll do fine.