[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

figmentPez

Staff member
If we don't get some Blood, Sweat & Tears, I'm going to be disappointed.

This would seem to tie in well to Quinn's father:

I'd also accept "Spinning Wheel" for any trippy scene of being drunk, drugged or under the influence of strange tech. Or "Lisa, Listen to Me" for Quinn and his problems with women.

Just remember that Peter Quill was born in 1980, meaning his father would have visited Earth in 1979. That would have been right when disco died. I think I mentioned it before, but Quill's Dad probably would've listened to Kiss during their makeup years, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, and Rod Stewart.

Dave

Staff member
But it would have been his mom that made the tape, right? So it could be anywhere from 1990 on back, assuming Quill was 10 when he was taken.

Was he ten? I thought he was 8. Or I just pulled that out of nowhere. That opening scene felt more 80's than 1990 to me. I may need to rewatch it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, he got the tapes from his mother, not his father.[DOUBLEPOST=1422999060,1422999011][/DOUBLEPOST]
Was he ten? I thought he was 8. Or I just pulled that out of nowhere. That opening scene felt more 80's than 1990 to me. I may need to rewatch it.
I don't remember the year it was either, in the movie, but having lived in it, I can tell you 1990 was still pretty 80s, feel-wise.

I don't remember the year it was either, in the movie, but having lived in it, I can tell you 1990 was still pretty 80s, feel-wise.
In someways, yes. Or maybe it was a regional thing, because I remember, let's say, late '88 through about '91 having a very distinctive feel to it, both living through it and even looking at photos.

The movie starts in 1988 in Missouri, and he was supposed to have been 8 years old. The songs, though, were all supposed to have been ones that his mother loved, so they could be anywhere from the late 1960s until 1988.

GasBandit

Staff member
In someways, yes. Or maybe it was a regional thing, because I remember, let's say, late '88 through about '91 having a very distinctive feel to it, both living through it and even looking at photos.
You know, thinking about it, you're quite right. The late 80s was definitely a period of cultural transition. It wasn't "90s" but it was definitely not the same as, say, 1985.

Yes, it's another Raspberries song, but I think "I Wanna Be With You" would be an appropriate track for the Peter/Gamora romance. It's a catchy tune but most people haven't heard it on the radio in decades.