Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Get prepared for more rage tweeting tonight about Pence and McConnell. Pence released a letter that he is rejecting Trump's call to try and take control of the electoral count, and Mitch is rallying most of the senate GOP to reject the objections. While it's going to take another ten hours or so before we likely see it, we don't have to worry about any last minute shenanigans now. Biden is all but assured to be certified.

I know how this works though, and the MAGAts are going to argue that Trump can announce martial law tomorrow and take over the country by force. The goal post will always move. I can't wait till he is sworn in and they all make it out like Trump was just wanting to take a break before he has a historic win in 2024.

I know people won't believe me, but I think in the long run what happened with Trump is really going to hurt the GOP.

The one thing I always knew about Republicans was they were always very loyal to the party compared to Democrats, who were always more picky when it came to how they voted. A Democrat may not like a candidate, so they stay home, but someone from the GOP would vote for a Republican just because it's what was expected, even if they hated him. A lot of this was because the GOP ideals were the top of the cult of personality. You were voting for the party, not the person.

Now, the GOP has allowed Trump to circumvent the top of the pyramid. They no longer worship the ideals of the GOP, but instead Trump himself, and once he is gone there is going to be a depressive force that is going to weaken a lot of Republican voter enthusiasm. Georgia proved that, with the Republicans underperforming in many counties.

This does not mean we can be complacent though. We have a lot to do for the next two years.

I know people won't believe me, but I think in the long run what happened with Trump is really going to hurt the GOP.

The one thing I always knew about Republicans was they were always very loyal to the party compared to Democrats, who were always more picky when it came to how they voted. A Democrat may not like a candidate, so they stay home, but someone from the GOP would vote for a Republican just because it's what was expected, even if they hated him. A lot of this was because the GOP ideals were the top of the cult of personality. You were voting for the party, not the person.

Now, the GOP has allowed Trump to circumvent the top of the pyramid. They no longer worship the ideals of the GOP, but instead Trump himself, and once he is gone there is going to be a depressive force that is going to weaken a lot of Republican voter enthusiasm. Georgia proved that, with the Republicans underperforming in many counties.

This does not mean we can be complacent though. We have a lot to do for the next two years.
With any luck, the Republicans will eat each other and completely die out, and then we can focus on the next threat: the Democrats

The Capitol building is in lockdown at present. I don't know if this is going to do anything to the caucusing over whether my vote for Joe Biden here in Arizona was legit or not.

Also, if those were armed black men, they 'd all be shot by now.
I was thinking that too. As much as I have enjoyed the irony of a guy carrying a thin blue line flag knocking over a bunch of police, I can't help but notice the lack of tear gas, rubber bullets, and riot armor. Did they just not expect this to happen?

In this case, I think they are also trying to talk them down because they are outnumbered and unprepared, because they didn't see the threat a bunch of white militants could cause apparently. :p

It turns out the deployment of the national guard ended up being called by Pence, not by Trump. The SoD met with congress leadership and Pence, but Trump was willfully left out of it.

People are thinking another impeachment or the 25th amendment might actually come into play tomorrow after the votes are counted tonight.