Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
It's 8 years since September 11th, 2001. I don't think much more needs to be said, other than remember what happened, who did it, and what needs to be done to prevent such things from happening again.

Medicare for Dummies ... From The Wall Street Journal

Here's something for those of you who would like to know more about the economics of recovery.

Somebody has a short memory. 5 years ago, Democrats were the party of complete, unflinching obstructionism.

On health care reform ... Obama spreads a few lies of his own. Imagine that!

Krauthammer weighs in on the Van Jones "Truthers" affair.

"Listening to a Liar: Part II" Thomas Sowell nails it again. Oh ... and here's "Listening to a Liar" Part I.

When patriotic desserts go terribly wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
Take a look at this picture from Obama's healthcare rally over the weekend. Got the message? Stability and security.

Maureen Dowd shows that there will always be one weapon at the left's disposal whenever they run out of logic - the accusation of racism.

According to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, we have a trade policy based on "fairness." China doesn't seem to be liking that too much.

The high unemployment rate is going to remain "unacceptably high" for a number of years, according to Obama's chief economic adviser.

Higher Taxes Are Coming. Are You Prepared?

Mark Steyn has an excellent column ... People see right through Barack Obama's urgency to pass healthcare reform.

Obama says that his healthcare plan "won't add one dime to the deficit" ... yet he won't tell us the details on how he plans to do that.

Why hasn't anyone explained to the president how his mandates and requirements on health insurance is going to drive up costs?

The Federal Census Bureau decided to sever ties with ACORN. Plus: Now ACORN may face scrutiny over federal housing grants.

George Will takes on the book banners.

The fundamental problem for Barack Obama and the Democrats is that the public doesn't trust them.

The Senate's "gang of six" is working on closing any loopholes in the healthcare bill that would allow illegal immigrants to gain access to government health plans or subsidies.

After Rep. Joe Wilson's "you lie" outburst last week during Obama's address to Congress, he has racked up $1 million in donations.

How are federal contract being awarded with stimulus dollars? To big companies with little competition.

The European official responsible for banning incandescent light bulbs turns out to be a former communist.

Yet another "hockey stick" graph on global warming has been published ... and yet another "hockey stick" graph has been found to be fundamentally false.

Taxpayer-funded trips taken by lawmakers are coming under extreme scrutiny lately.

Guess which moonbat is being courted by the Green Party as a possible future presidential candidate? I'll give you a hint ... this party also thought Cynthia McKinney would make a good president.

17 Acorn protesters make something a national crisis, but 1.5-2 million protesters, according to Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, "are not indicative" of prevailing American opinion and can be safely ignored.

Maureen Dowd shows that there will always be one weapon at the left's disposal whenever they run out of logic - the accusation of racism.
Both Democrats and Repulicans are racist... it just that the left side uses Positive Discrimination ("You guys can't compete on a level playing field. Here's a leg up.") and the right side uses Negative Discrimination ("We don't think you deserve to be equals. Get to the back of the bus."). Both are equally obnoxious and demeaning.

According to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, we have a trade policy based on \"fairness.\" China doesn't seem to be liking that too much.
It is about fairness: America is all about getting a fair deal for itself from outside nations. It's just not interested in giving a fair deal... but then again, China doesn't get to complain about getting the short end of the stick when it's entire trade strategy is "Under cut everyone else by abusing our own population."

The fundamental problem for Barack Obama and the Democrats is that the public doesn't trust them.
Perhaps, but the public already knows it can't trust the Republican party after what it did in the previous 8 years. It's high time for the rise of a third party in this country.

GasBandit

Staff member
Both Democrats and Repulicans are racist... it just that the left side uses Positive Discrimination ("You guys can't compete on a level playing field. Here's a leg up.") and the right side uses Negative Discrimination ("We don't think you deserve to be equals. Get to the back of the bus."). Both are equally obnoxious and demeaning. [/quote]Got a recent example of a republican national politician or pundit using "back of the bus" racism?

Perhaps, but the public already knows it can't trust the Republican party after what it did in the previous 8 years. It's high time for the rise of a third party in this country.
Quite so, quite so. Libertarianism is poised to... well, to continue festering in ignominy so long as the mechanisms of the legislative branch continue to perpetuate a 2 party system. But it would be the very definition of the "moderate" party... Pro-choice and yet fiscally conservative, and all that.

Both Democrats and Repulicans are racist... it just that the left side uses Positive Discrimination ("You guys can't compete on a level playing field. Here's a leg up.") and the right side uses Negative Discrimination ("We don't think you deserve to be equals. Get to the back of the bus."). Both are equally obnoxious and demeaning. [/quote]Got a recent example of a republican national politician or pundit using "back of the bus" racism? [/QUOTE]

What, 8 years of profiling brown people with funny names for "national security" isn't enough? How about sending them to Cuba to be tortured and treated inhumanely, in clear violation of international law?

Sexual preference seems to be more of the hot button issue this generation though. The whole Gay Marriage fiasco in California (and much of the country) is a good example of intolerance for a petty reason.

GasBandit

Staff member
What, 8 years of profiling brown people with funny names for \"national security\" isn't enough? How about sending them to Cuba to be tortured and treated inhumanely, in clear violation of international law?

Sexual preference seems to be more of the hot button issue this generation though. The whole Gay Marriage fiasco in California (and much of the country) is a good example of intolerance for a petty reason.
Not quite the same, is it? And frankly, can you tell me how many non-middle-easterners with arabic names were hijacking those planes 8 years and 3 days ago? And I can see your implied profiling and raise you with the story of TSA refusing to let a white, "non-funny name" war hero board a plane because his congressional medal of honor constituted a "sharp metal object." And unlike your vague accusations, I've got a link. Yeah, he must have been profiled.

I support equality of misery for the gay community (why should only heterosexuals suffer?), but as far as infractions of civil liberties go, this one's not exactly Rosa Parks territory now is it? Who's throwing homosexuals into jail for getting married?

I support equality of misery for the gay community (why should only heterosexuals suffer?), but as far as infractions of civil liberties go, this one's not exactly Rosa Parks territory now is it? Who's throwing homosexuals into jail for getting married?
The measures they go to aren't as important as their intentions. What the Gay Marriage controversy ultimately boils down to is "You don't deserve the same rights, privileges, and respect that we get because you are different", which is what Segregation was all about, and both were championed by the Right of their time.

GasBandit

Staff member
The measures they go to aren't as important as their intentions. What the Gay Marriage controversy ultimately boils down to is "You don't deserve the same rights, privileges, and respect that we get because you are different", which is what Segregation was all about, and both were championed by the Right of their time.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. That same line could be used to apply to pedophiles or any other perpetrator of an act society has deemed anathema. This has been discussed ad nauseum right here on this board, but I'm of the opinion it's merely a trouble with nomenclature. If you gave the term 'civil union' the exact same rights and privileges that marriage has, the problem would go away except for both sides' fringe elements.

But consider what right-wing politicians have used to describe this: "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman." That's not exactly aryan philosophy there - it's standard practice for all 3 major religions. Gays are not being oppressed like blacks were, and I think a great many black Americans (especially those who lived through it) would find the analogy insulting.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, usually when people are making fun of people who call "communism," it's not because communism is a good thing, it's because communism is accepted to be such an awful, toxic form of government that nobody could conceivably actually BE a communist any more, outside of the 3rd world and banana republics.

Anyway, on to today's links -

One year after the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the Heritage Foundation explains the current state of financial regulation. Notice that none of their suggestions include more government.

The unions have selected their next target: young workers.

Obama's my-way-or-the-highway approach to this healthcare debate (by demonizing doctors and insurance companies) may backfire on him.

Obama is in a big hurry to pass this healthcare legislation ... the more people learn about it, the more they dislike it.

Behind the scenes of the healthcare debate ... intense lobbying from the medical device industry.

Barack Obama didn't make a big deal out of his race when he campaigned, and he still doesn't seem to now that he is president. Why can't others get over it?

A growing number of Republicans are calling for congressional hearings and IRS audits of ACORN. Meanwhile, ACORN wants another $6 million in government funding... and it is threatening to sue FoxNews over the latest undercover video footage.

We keep hearing that the GOP isn't coming up with any ideas on healthcare, but...

Seven out of 10 Americans lack confidence that the federal government has taken safeguards to prevent another financial industry meltdown.

This ought to keep the turbochristians busy for a while ... gay marriage supporters are moving to repeal federal laws concerning same-sex benefits.

The Obama administration may consider changing the guidelines by which we measure poverty in this country.

A friendly moment with Rep. Fortney "Pete" Stark.

L

Le Quack

The measures they go to aren't as important as their intentions. What the Gay Marriage controversy ultimately boils down to is "You don't deserve the same rights, privileges, and respect that we get because you are different", which is what Segregation was all about, and both were championed by the Right of their time.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. That same line could be used to apply to pedophiles or any other perpetrator of an act society has deemed anathema. This has been discussed ad nauseum right here on this board, but I'm of the opinion it's merely a trouble with nomenclature. If you gave the term 'civil union' the exact same rights and privileges that marriage has, the problem would go away except for both sides' fringe elements.

But consider what right-wing politicians have used to describe this: "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman." That's not exactly aryan philosophy there - it's standard practice for all 3 major religions. Gays are not being oppressed like blacks were, and I think a great many black Americans (especially those who lived through it) would find the analogy insulting.[/QUOTE]

Did you just compare Gays to pedofiles?

GasBandit

Staff member
No, I just said that line of argument could be used to champion ANYTHING, and picked something reprehensible.

Would you have felt better if I'd chosen "religious practitioners of human sacrifice" as the macguffin?

China doesn't get to complain about getting the short end of the stick when it's entire trade strategy is "Under cut everyone else by abusing our own population."
It's really hit and miss in China

You know, as someone who owns a factory here in China... they get treated pretty damn well some of them. The ones that work for me that is.

3 healthy meals a day, a clean bed, air conditioning in summer and heating in winter, medical coverage, a pool table, a basketball court, a swimming pool (it's fairly small), TV with Wii, Karaoke room, and don't forget ping pong. We also often take them on trips horse back riding in Mongolia. For free. None of this is taken from their wages and they have the buying power of someone making above minimum wage in Canada.

Most of them are highschool dropouts and average in age around 22 with the youngest at 19. It's better than working for fucking McDonalds.

Now my neighbor on the other hand he's just a slimy bastard. Finds every way he can to squeeze every penny. The things I've heard...[/QUOTE]

You... own a factory in China???
Coooool.

John Stewart did a BIG segment on it on the daily Show. It was great. He really went after the beloved cable networks for not getting this story first. He actually was forced to agree with Fox and it almost KILLED him.

John Stewart did a BIG segment on it on the daily Show. It was great. He really went after the beloved cable networks for not getting this story first. He actually was forced to agree with Fox and it almost KILLED him.
Yup, I'm saddened and disgusted by the actions of ACORN. I certainly won't defend the group after this.

Sounds like they are pretty much done for. Government money is being cut off to them (thank GOD) and between this and the ridiculous fake voter bullshit they pull they don't have any real credibility anymore.
Stewarts raises the most important point: The mainstream media completely ignored this. They didn't do any of the investigative work and other than Fox no one is even covering it. As he said, "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?"

L

Le Quack

No, I just said that line of argument could be used to champion ANYTHING, and picked something reprehensible.

Would you have felt better if I'd chosen "religious practitioners of human sacrifice" as the macguffin?[/QUOTE]

See, the thing is that society doesn't know if its act deemed anathema. So comparing the two is a very old school view, which does nothing but keep gays where they are now.
Being gay shouldn't be something "reprehensible."

If I totally missed the point, my bad. But it seems like you are saying that gays are just as reprehensible as pedofiles.

Sounds like they are pretty much done for. Government money is being cut off to them (thank GOD) and between this and the ridiculous fake voter bullshit they pull they don't have any real credibility anymore.
Stewarts raises the most important point: The mainstream media completely ignored this. They didn't do any of the investigative work and other than Fox no one is even covering it. As he said, "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?"
Can somebody fill me in on exactly what ACORN does?

Would you have felt better if I'd chosen "religious practitioners of human sacrifice" as the macguffin?[/quote]

See, the thing is that society doesn't know if its act deemed anathema. So comparing the two is a very old school view, which does nothing but keep gays where they are now.
Being gay shouldn't be something "reprehensible."

If I totally missed the point, my bad. But it seems like you are saying that gays are just as reprehensible as pedofiles.

Can somebody fill me in on exactly what ACORN does?[/QUOTE]
It's an advocacy group for the poor. From what I've read they plan to do an internal investigation.

C

crono1224

Sounds like they need to clear house or close down and start anew cause clearly they have just shit on any credibility they had.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, I'm not saying that at all. My point is, if we accepted your argument as sound and valid, logically it could also be used to champion freedom to perform unarguably reprehensible acts as well. Has nothing to do with homosexuality, just the argument itself.

No links today. In fact, it might be a while. I just learned that the traffic director who was supposed to be coming back has now decided she's not coming back at all, and the person who was covering for her was already gone. I may be scarce for months while we look for, hire, and I train a new traffic director.

Sometimes I think the only reason I don't start stabbing people in the face is because I'll get tired and have to go to sleep before I'm done stabbing EVERYBODY in the face and then that's when they'll get me.

Louisiana Judge denies interracial couple marriage license because they might have kids.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.
\"I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves,\" Bardwell said. \"In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer.\"
If he does an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.
\"I try to treat everyone equally,\" he said.

I

Iaculus

Louisiana Judge denies interracial couple marriage license because they might have kids.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.
\"I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves,\" Bardwell said. \"In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer.\"
If he does an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.
Wut.

Wut.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got nothing on this one. I often say I am shocked, but this really leaves me in awe.

"I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves," Bardwell said. "In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer."
"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

dumbass.

On a more serious note, it's not his business to deny them kids. Like marriage stops that.