[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

BananaHands

Staff member
Man, that White Walker was everything I hoped for. I could have used some Rheagar and Whitebeard in that episode though, but the Dany's parts weren't so bad.

They're still forcing that in, huh?
Pretty much. Got a 5 minute scene with Varys talking to her. Mind you, anything with Varys (actor is fantastic) is very entertaining but it could have gone to something else.

Perhaps another Sansa scene, or a minute given out to a whole bunch of scene.

The Arya scene with the Faceless man was EXACTLY how I planned it. I always wondered from the books... was that man also Syrio Forel?

A man cannot wait for next season. A man will most likely not have HBO though. A man must make new friends with HBO by then.

The Arya scene with the Faceless man was EXACTLY how I planned it. I always wondered from the books... was that man also Syrio Forel?
Nope. Syrio was just a swordsman, albeit a very good one, but Jaqen was a Faceless Man.

Great finale. Brienne owns all of the bones. The scene with Stannis ''WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW'' was amazing, as was Luwin's performance. Theon, lol.

Drogo, I miss you, you son of a bitch. You would have owned all those slavetraders in Meereen and Astapor and god knows where else and Dany would've been better off with you. The House of the Undying was spectacular, and the music with the White Walkers was intense[/spoilers]

I thought the House of the Undying was a pretty big letdown after how excrutiatingly last minute they left it. And all the negativity about Ros is spot on, Jesus fuck that character is terrible. Everything else I greatly enjoyed.

Me "Tiewin and Sersi rock!"
Wife "They really don't"
Me "They are my favourites so far, along with Stannis!"
Wife "Well in the books they, "
Me "This isn't the books. Woooh Tiewin!"

Robb spoiler for upcoming stuff

That whole conversation between Robb Stark and his mom had me feeling this exact feeling about what's to come:

Seriously, Robb needs to die in a horribly embarrassing way. Like from a broken toe or something lame. He agree to get married because he needed a bridge, how does he expect to get home without it?

Personally I loved the undying scenes. *shrug*

Firstly, love the effect of the Throne room.... beyond the wall.... but the scene with Drogo was especially touching. Heck, even the wife was wiping a few tears after the scene. The dragon part was a nice touch as well.

Did anyone else love Theon's speech? The whole scene was perfect.

BananaHands

Staff member
Honestly, I hate the woman who plays Shae. I don't even like the character at all. I'm starting to worry that Tyrion isn't going to kill her.

Dave

Staff member
I personally think they

should have ended things with the Red Wedding. They are already into things that didn't happen until the third book - the release of the Kingslayer and his trek south with Brienne, the putting aside of Sansa for Margaery, the white walkers attacks - and I feel the Red Wedding would have been a MUCH stronger and "buzz worthy" endings.

I personally think they

should have ended things with the Red Wedding. They are already into things that didn't happen until the third book - the release of the Kingslayer and his trek south with Brienne, the putting aside of Sansa for Margaery, the white walkers attacks - and I feel the Red Wedding would have been a MUCH stronger and "buzz worthy" endings.
There's still a lot good deal of story to get through between here and there. That doesnt happen until at least halfway through book 3. Edmure has to be introduced, along with the brotherhood and Arya needs to meet up with the hound. The timing is all pretty important so I'm fine with them not rushing to it. The 3 horn blast was the perfect ending, mostly because I called it :p

I personally think they

Have to admit, I couldn't give a shit about Robb... at first it was cool, the Young Wolf that never loses.... then the last 7-8 episodes it's been at MOST... 3 minute scenes with him... mostly falling in love with horse face girl who DOESN'T EVEN EXIST IN THE NOVELS.

Though it's another girl..

Still..... HORSE FACE

I personally think they

Ehh, they didn't, for the same reason the book doesn't end there.
It's far too negative an image. They want people to be excited and hungry for the next season; not be turned off and/or appaled at what happened. If you kill off what's supposed to be the "hero", people tend to get upset and leave.

Seriously, Robb needs to die in a horribly embarrassing way. Like from a broken toe or something lame. He agree to get married because he needed a bridge, how does he expect to get home without it?
He's gonna swim. Like a boss...I mean king.

Ehh, they didn't, for the same reason the book doesn't end there.
It's far too negative an image. They want people to be excited and hungry for the next season; not be turned off and/or appaled at what happened. If you kill off what's supposed to be the "hero", people tend to get upset and leave.
Exactly. That's why they're going to end with the Purple Wedding next season -- I'm calling it now.

I'm glad Daenerys finally stopped being reactionary to everyone in Qarth and actually started taking charge again. I loved Daxos being put in his place.

Jay Theon's speech was damn fantastic. I'm glad his second waited for it to be done.
So did his twenty men burn the place down then take the passages to escape or did they take the offer while burning it or what?

Also Arya, why couldn't you go with a man so we could see Braavos. Seriously, is everyone from there badass.

GRRM is writing the seventh episode in season 3, so I'm assuming that'll be the Red Wedding.
I'm kind of operating under that assumption as well, but the more I think about it, the more I won't be surprised if it was the episode leading up to the Red Wedding -- like what happened with his writing "The Pointy End" in season 1, where Ned was killed in the next episode.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Autumn Storms" is the Queenscrown stuff, Robb and Cat leaving Riverrun, Melisandre and the Leeches, Arya and the Hound, and Balon Grayjoy falling off the bridge (since a storm is actually mentioned in many of these arcs.) RW will be at the end of 8, and PW at the end of 10.

I need to finish re-reading the books. It's been probably 4 years since I read aSoS, and I'm a bit hazy on the timeline.

I personally think they

As someone who hasn't read the books i felt "Blackwater" fit more as an ending to teh season then the actual last episode, which kinda felt more like an epilogue.

GasBandit

Staff member
As someone who hasn't read the books i felt "Blackwater" fit more as an ending to the season then the actual last episode, which kinda felt more like an epilogue.
I can just imagine the howling if the haven't-read-the-book crowd was left thinking the season 2 finale killed off Tyrion after the wailing and gnashing of Eddard's beheading in the season 1 finale.

Finally saw it today.

Yup. Excellent again.
Yup, the Whitewalkers looked bad ass.
Yup, Roz was unnecessarily and clumsily shoehorned in again.

The irrational fanboy part of me hates the changes to Dany's arc, just because they are changes. but the more rational part of my brain much prefers it because it's made her way more interesting than she is in the books at this point.
And I feel like all the extra exposition they are affording Robb is going to detract from the Red Wedding's impact. In the books, you knew something bad was going to happen, but you didn't know how bad, but the way they are setting it up in the show, I think even the very stupid viewers have already said goodbye to the Young Wolf. Maybe that's just because I DO know though

I fell asleep with Ep 10 on loop in my Windows Media player. I had horrible nightmares. I actually dreamed of a whitewalker attack and when I woke, I woke at the exact moment the whitewalker was staring at Sam and then letting out a war cry.

shudder

And I feel like all the extra exposition they are affording Robb is going to detract from the Red Wedding's impact. In the books, you knew something bad was going to happen, but you didn't know how bad, but the way they are setting it up in the show, I think even the very stupid viewers have already said goodbye to the Young Wolf. Maybe that's just because I DO know though
I know a few people who have only watched the show, not read the books -- and I can safely say they don't know.

I know a few people who have only watched the show, not read the books -- and I can safely say they don't know.
Good. At this point I've managed to convince most of my friends to read the books first, but I still have one friend who refuses to start. I need to try and watch that episode with her, because I have to see her reaction first hand.
Added at: 14:30
As someone who hasn't read the books i felt "Blackwater" fit more as an ending to the season then the actual last episode, which kinda felt more like an epilogue.
The books each have a prologue and an epilogue, and the series seems to be structured in more or less the same way. I can dig it.

I haven't read the books, but my wife has so it drives her a bit nutty with the theories I purport.

Robb Stark is going to die for ignoring his oath, hopefully taking his new wife and mother with him. Probably in something gruesome, but I am hoping for ignominious.

Joffrey will die painfully and easily, he's just to self centred and unaware to avoid it.

Jamie and the girl knight live happily ever after and stop playing the game of thrones.

The dragons are the solution to the zombies.

John Snow doesn't die, he's too stupid to die. In the end it's just him, Hodor and Tyrion left.

Twyin is the best character of them all. He eventually takes Arya as his squire and trains her to rule the north for him after marrying her to some grandson or something.

Theon dies in lots of pain and humiliation. Then becomes the internets favourite gif.

I hope the red head survives. But if she falls in love with John Snow she's dead. Never date full retard.

Staniss continues to be awesome. Oooh! Maybe he kills what's left of the Starks for being stupid, thus claiming the North and going one on one with Tywin in a dramatic final book showdown!

I will say that you are suprisingly on the mark with some things, and unbelievably far off the mark with others.

And some things have not yet come to pass.

At least, according to the book, but to be fair, some of the things he bases theories on are not in the book.