Export thread

Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

Limit: 500

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Now if he'd only come out with the next gorram frakkkin book!!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Looks awesome. Can't wait.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Now if he'd only come out with the next gorram frakkkin book!!
Wikipedia says:

At the New York Comic Con on October 10, 2010, Spectra senior editor Anne Groell announced that Martin had only five chapters remaining to finish, with sections of the chapters already completed. She stated her desire to have the manuscript completed by December. In a December 2010 interview with Bear Swarm, Martin stated that he almost has A Dance With Dragons completed.

Dei

Dei

hahahahahhaha

That means nothing, if you actually read his blog, you can see the horror that is him trying to get through this book. ;) Though I do think he IS actually almost done now, *wishful thinking* Martin got really really sick in December, which held up things alot as well.

Kovac

Kovac

The worst thing about this wait is that isn't even the final book. We have even more waiting after this waiting is finished. I wonder how long the gap will be this time, 10 years?

Dave

Dave

Two words.

Brian.

Sanderson.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Two words.

Brian.

Sanderson.
"There is a faster way to find out..." - The Dark 14

Shannow

Shannow

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

Published July 12. Finally.

Disconnected

why are there 5 different covers that (in my opinion) suck.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Different covers for different countries.

Disconnected

That was my joke post for 'judging a book by its cover'.
:)

Baerdog

Baerdog

>_>

Well crap.

Disconnected

I can still be all put in my place!

TY Baer for this information that makes my gripe just plain stupid, but I feel the covers still need more dragons. And fire. And ice. And boobs.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I agree with all of those things. I'd like to see a cover that's worthy of being airbrushed on the side of a van.

Emrys

Emrys

Whoo-hoo!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I refuse to believe this until I have a copy of it given to my cold, dead hands (or my iPhone).

Dei

Dei

Per Martin's blog:
Two more [short] chapters done. More to come.

Kong grows bigger and bigger. Past 1600 pp in manuscript now. Oy.

Certainly the biggest monkey ever to climb on my back.
Why do I feel I may need a forklift to carry this book?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Kong?

Baerdog

Baerdog

It's a really big monkey.

Dei

Dei

He refers to Dance as Kong because it's so big.

@Li3n

@Li3n

He refers to Dance as Kong because it's so big.
And gets shot down off a building at the end...

Dave

Dave

First 15 minutes.

Looks fucking GREAT!
Added at: 11:30
May not play outside the US. I'm sorry.

@Li3n

@Li3n

First 15 minutes.

Looks fucking GREAT!
Added at: 11:30
May not play outside the US. I'm sorry.
That would be stupid considering HBO lets us see their shows and new films just fine... (works here)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That looks pretty good so far. A little quick-cut happy in the beginning (if I hadn't read the book, I might not have known what was going on), but overall, really looking forward to this.

Gryfter

Gryfter

First 15 minutes.

Looks fucking GREAT!
So true... so true. Can't wait for the premiere on the 17th!

Covar

Covar

I just started reading Game of Thrones the other day. I'm not even past the sample Amazon gave my Kindle, but I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't even realize it was being made into a mini-series. I'll have to watch that youtube clip once I'm a little farther in, and actually figure out what it's going to be about.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

One. More. Day.
Oh the annnti.................................................................cipation!

Wasabi Poptart

I can't wait to see the series (I don't have HBO :( ) or the new book!​

Dei

Dei

My Husband was all about getting HBO for this then found out it was $20 more and changed his mind. So sad.

Dave

Dave

In less than 1 hour...Winter is coming!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

:aaah:

Covar

Covar

I'm only 24% through the book! :aaah:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I don't know if I could have expected more of a show. It was NOT disappointing.

Dave

Dave

I don't know if I could have expected more of a show. It was NOT disappointing.
Hmm. I was more underwhelmed. I may do a review...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I almost added HBO to my cable bill.

Dei

Dei

I haven't watched it yet, but all the reviews so far seem to complain the most about
Dany and Drogo's wedding being way more savage and harsh than in the books, including more of a rape consummation than a gentle one. Which is pretty irritating to me really. Will have to actually watch it to be sure.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That scene starts out almost exactly the same as it does in the book, it just gets cut off.

Also, is that the dude from Stargate Atlantis? He got real performance enhancement huge for Conan.

Wahad

Wahad

Hmm. I was more underwhelmed. I may do a review...
You'd better. How was this not awesome?

Gryfter

Gryfter

Thought the episode was awesome and can't wait for the next.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

WANT. It'll probably be on HBO On Demand when I get back home to California this summer.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I haven't watched it yet, but all the reviews so far seem to complain the most about
Dany and Drogo's wedding being way more savage and harsh than in the books, including more of a rape consummation than a gentle one. Which is pretty irritating to me really. Will have to actually watch it to be sure.
You mean, as opposed to the reviews that just bash the genre and the people who like it, you mean? :p

Dei

Dei

lolthatreview. I don't know if I'm amazed or saddened by the ignorance.

Dave

Dave

Global warming what?!?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Women need to get back to watching Sex and the City, and leave all those boy fictions with all those characters and sword-thingies to mensfolks, dont'cha know?

EDIT: Sheer perfection of response.

Terrik

Terrik

My personal opinion of the episode is mixed. Some of the acting falls a little flat and I felt some of the scenes lacked...something. I'm not sure. Color? Feeling? I've read through all the books a number of times and it could just be another case of the TV/Movie not being as good as the book. A lot of the musical score also seemed somewhat generic.

I mean, I generally liked it, and its nice to see the books translated into film but I wasn't particularly blown away. Regardless I've give the second episode a go and see how that runs.

Joe Johnson

I've heard that episode 5 is where the series really starts to pick up the pace. I'm enjoying it so far, so I'll definitely give it a whole season. I've certainly sat through much worse.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

They have a crap-ton of set up to do before shit really starts getting crazy. In a way, the whole first season will be setup.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I thought they did a really good job mixing the exposition with plot.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Why is it that whenever i see an american made show that tries to be mature by including nudeness and sex it always comes of as juvenile... is it just because they feel the need to have the camera linger on asses and tits to rub it in the puritans faces, because in the end it just feels more like fan-service, and it would work just as well if they just treated it as background to the actual scene.

Otherwise the show itself was good, while the story (storytelling?) always needs at least half a season (and in the case of an actual show wide story arc even 1-2 seasons - B5 took a season to start going) to make a real judgement on.

Dave

Dave

I think, @Li3n, that you have really hit upon what bothered me about it. It was heavily "HBO'd" up like we'd be bored if there weren't boobs everywhere. Like the scene where Tyrion is given a bunch of whores. In the book? I don't remember it. Really the only scenes that should have had any nudity were the Dothraki wedding (and that was non-sexual for the most part), when the queen was getting it on (& they didn't show anything there) and the last scene with Drogo - and they made that one uncomfortable for no reason.

I liked the show well enough but they did a lot of exposition, a lot of unnecessary sex and they left out some things that I feel could have been kept in. Like Theon Greyjoy's kicking of the head to show what kind of dude he is, etc.

They took some weighty material and turned it into "True Blood".

@Li3n

@Li3n

What happened with True Blood is what i was thinking of actually... most people associate it with all the sex and little else because they went too fan-service-y with it. Except when it's about the gay guy... who's popular enough not to get killed like in the books... something to think about HBO.

Dave

Dave

You know who summed up my feelings fairly decently? Tim Buckley.

You know, after watching the second episode of Game of Thrones last night (and loving every minute of it), it really sunk in that there is no way for me to watch the series obectively. To separate it and judge it on its own merits, apart from the book.

The series looks to be moving along at a breakneck pace... and I can't really fault it for that, because the books are so very complex and detailed, and there are so many characters and different threads to follow, and they only have ten or eleven episodes. However, I've read each of the existing books at least six times thus far (and in a few weeks I will start reading them a seventh to prepare for A Dance with Dragons this summer), and I think my brain fills in all of the backstory and details that may not necessarily be shown on screen.

My fiancee has been watching the show with me, and I find myself wondering "how is this coming across to her?". Does half of this even make sense yet? When the characters mention the Eyrie, or Rhaegar and Lyanna, I immediately know these people and places and what they're referring to.

For instance, I know who Rickon is, even though he really hasn't had a part in the show so far. I think he was in one scene, for a brief moment, and not even identified. Did people who haven't read the books even realize there was another Stark child until that scene in Bran's bedchamber? Theon Greyjoy has been in a number of scenes... have they even called him by name yet? Is that weird for people, to just have this guy there, with no explanation of who he is?

I feel like the dire wolves have been almost cast aside in the first two episodes... Ghost and Grey Wind and ShaggyDog haven't even been seen since they were found. The show totally glossed over the part the wolves played in Bran's recovery... suddenly Summer was there to rescue Bran, sure. But where had he been before then?

The Dire Wolves are such a core part of the stories of the Stark children, and I worry that's being lost on people as the show moves along hitting all the major plot points with incredibly accuracy, but at the same time possibly missing a lot of the deeper, important details.

I understand that you'll never get all of the details from a book captured on screen. However how are people going to understand the connection the Starks have with their direwolves, a major plot point, if they aren't shown more? How are they expected to mourn for Lady and realize what an impact that was not only on the children but the other dire wolves, when she was in one scene prior to her end.

Ultimately I think my concern for how the show is viewed by "outsiders" correlates to my concern for the show's longevity (I know it's been renewed for a second season already, but two seasons is still not the seven or eight seasons the entire series will need). Let's face it, the majority of the viewers of this show are going to be people who have never read the books before, and probably won't bother even if they enjoy the show.

So far Game of Thrones on HBO is like a dream come true for ASOIAF fans, but if the series can't capture and hold people's attention in and of itself, we may not get to see the entire run.
So out of curiosity, if you've been watching, and have not read the books (shame on you), how do you find it so far? Do you feel lost at all? Having any trouble figuring out who different characters are, or why they're around? I'm interested to know how much (if any) of the grandeur of the books is poking through in the tv series for people unfamiliar with the world.

PotaDOS

I haven't read the books and I'm still loving it.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I've answered any non spoilerish questions my friends who I've watched it with have had about things not overtly explained. They really don't have many and everyone is enjoying it.

Dieb

Dieb

I've read the books, myself. But so far, the way "Game of Thrones" kinda throws you into an incredibly complex world and expects you to keep up seems fairly typical for an HBO show. "The Wire", for example, did pretty much the same thing. And the Wire is rightly regarded as one of the best dramas of all time. Unfortuantly, it never had much of an audience, but it got 5 seasons. And it didn't have the built in fanbase that Game of Thrones has.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I have not read the book exactly because of teh show, and so far it looks fine to me... of course i did read a little about the book on wikipedia when someone recommended them to me and i read about the War of the Roses and the Borgias a long time ago, and that kinda helps put thing in perspective somewhat.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've read the books, myself. But so far, the way "Game of Thrones" kinda throws you into an incredibly complex world and expects you to keep up seems fairly typical for an HBO show. "The Wire", for example, did pretty much the same thing. And the Wire is rightly regarded as one of the best dramas of all time. Unfortuantly, it never had much of an audience, but it got 5 seasons. And it didn't have the built in fanbase that Game of Thrones has.
Stories are better when they're not being overly explained to the audience, so that seems like a good route to go.

I'm avoiding this because I want to read the book first, and I'm not starting the books until the series is finished, so... might be a few years.

Dei

Dei

@Li3n

@Li3n

Is that a book or a murder weapon?

And he wanted to do a trilogy when he started...

Dei

Dei

I usually buy ebooks now, but I need to buy the hardcover edition of Dance just so I can carry it around and bludgeon assholes with it.

Dave

Dave

So what did everyone think about the unnecessary lesbian scene in tonight's episode? I mean, I like a good lesbian scene as much as the next guy, but it seemed forced and just a reason for Cameron from Ferris Beuller to give exposition. The scene was 10 minutes long!

Why, HBO? Why?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

As much as I thought it was pretty overboard, it did do a good job of giving some insight into how Littlefinger thinks.

Terrik

Terrik

I dunno. Its just how I thought the whole Renly/Loras thing was overdone. A lot of the sex in this series is overblown (yes, I say that even having read the series five times over) in favor of a lot of other cool stuff they could have added instead. Instead of watching loras suck a dong, why couldn't I have seen more of the vale and the gates that make it so hard to breach, or why not show me more of Sansa's interactions with the Hound, or hell, how about show the damned direwolves once in a while. I almost forgot they even existed. The whole deal with Bran in the forest was screaming for one of the wolves to show up again, but nope. Less "edgy" sex and more emphasis on the story or at least little details that would flesh out the characters more would make me happy.

Disclaimer: I am, still, however, overall satisfied with the series and do enjoy watching it.

Also, I love how they did Syrio Forel.

Jay

Jay

This thread has a misleading and uninteresting title.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I got it and I've never watched the show or read the books.

I am America and you can too!

Dave

Dave

This thread has a misleading and uninteresting title.
Not any more.

Covar

Covar

So I watched the first episode the other day. There were elements I really liked (a lot of the casting) and changes that bothered me, like aging up the kids, and there being no snow in Winterfell.

I think I'm going to wait until I'm done with the book for a while, so I don't rage unnecessarily at every little change they make.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The children being older is a change I was fine with, I've even read somewhere that Martin regrets having them start so young.

Philosopher B.

This show is fuckin' pimpin'. Tyrion's a goddamn beast.

Also, I love how they did Syrio Forel.
I would so totally watch a prequel show dedicated to his adventures!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Considering the amount of underage sex the series would otherwise have onscreen, I am totally okay with them aging up the characters.
Added at: 10:37
I prefer this Tyrion one.

Philosopher B.

Instead of watching loras suck a dong, why couldn't I have seen more of the vale and the gates that make it so hard to breach, or why not show me more of Sansa's interactions with the Hound, or hell, how about show the damned direwolves once in a while.
Well, to be fair, we didn't see much! Though there was some audible slurpage. IDK, it'd be great if they showed more of the direwolves, but supposedly the dogs they used were hard to train.
Added at: 15:43
I prefer this Tyrion one.

Still the raddest moment of the series, for my money!

Covar

Covar

Considering the amount of underage sex the series would otherwise have onscreen, I am totally okay with them aging up the characters.
But they didn't age up Daenerys (well they did her body). They state she is 13. The growth of Jon and Rob and the guidance they're given by characters seem out of place when they're ~17 years old. Or when Sansa whines to her mother.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They said Sansa was 13, Daenerys wasn't said, but we know she was born during the revolution which happened 17 years prior.

Dave

Dave

They said Sansa was 13, Daenerys wasn't said, but we know she was born during the revolution which happened 17 years prior.
When Dany found out she was pregnant the last line of the chapter is, "It was her fourteenth name day."

Frank

Frankie Williamson

In the book yeah, but not in the show is what I'm talking about.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So what did everyone think about the unnecessary lesbian scene in tonight's episode? I mean, I like a good lesbian scene as much as the next guy, but it seemed forced and just a reason for Cameron from Ferris Beuller to give exposition. The scene was 10 minutes long!

Why, HBO? Why?
Well using it to help with exposition of a characters motivation was actually a step up from previous sex scenes...

Philosopher B.

It was a good scene. Plus I nearly fucking died when he said
'Play with her ass!'
so offhandedly.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Well using it to help with exposition of a characters motivation was actually a step up from previous sex scenes...
This.

That scene gave important back story for Littlefinger and given what happens later in the episode I think it was important to reveal the info. Plus it had already been established that Rose was heading to King's Landing to get a big city brothel job, it makes sense that she'd have to audition.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Of course the brazilian wax in pseudo-medieval times bothered the hell out of me.... especially for a more rural whore...

Terrik

Terrik

George R.R. Martin is a hack.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Why?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Of course the brazilian wax in pseudo-medieval times bothered the hell out of me.... especially for a more rural whore...
Whores historically kept their business shaved. It keeps the Crabs Down. That is the whole reason the Merkin was invented.

Dei

Dei

I have a problem with the scene in the sense that I could never imagine "book" Littlefinger giving exposition to a couple of whores. However, I guess they need some way to explain his motivations to people who haven't read the books, but I still think it's pretty gratuitous.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It seems to me they're going out of their way to exclude direwolves. This past episode was the first to feature a direwolf at all in quite a while (I was disappointed that no throatripping occurred during the "Bran is threatened by wildlings" scene), and I suspect they only did so because they couldn't come up with another way of a wight hand being found.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Everything I've read has said that the dogs are very hard to work with which is very, very unfortunate.

Dave

Dave

Not only that but they look like dogs and not wolves. So when they add them they still look like crap.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Guess there wasn't a lot of cgi in the budget.

Dei

Dei

It will matter to me a lot more when they get to the 2nd season to be honest. While the wolves are around in Book 1, they don't have as big of a role outside of what they already made sure to use them for. (Summer ripping out that guy's throat, Lady and Nymeria on the road, and Ghost finding the wight hand). I also wonder if they are going to write Rickon back into the plot come Season 2.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I JUST started watching last night, and have never read the books. Holy crap. I have lots to catch up on.
Added at: 17:16
And the Wire is rightly regarded as one of the best dramas of all time.
This is the worst review I have ever heard or read of the Wire. I literally, up to this point, have never heard anyone refer to it as anything but the SINGLE greatest television show of all time. It makes me afraid to watch it. I fell like I would not be able to enjoy any television anymore if I did.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Whores historically kept their business shaved. It keeps the Crabs Down. That is the whole reason the Merkin was invented.
Actually the middle ages ended around the 1500's... (Merkin first around the 1600's)... and i said waxed for a reason.

Jay

Jay

Who looking forward to tomorrow's episode? I know I am!

Wahad

Wahad

I am, because we get to see Tyrion and Bronn owning the show some more. (seriously the best characters right there)

Jay

Jay

Fantastic episode. Really building up.

I think next episode will be awesome.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This one's for the browncoats:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That shirt is rad, even radder that's officially being sold by HBO.

Dei

Dei

haha @ the LotR one. <3 Elrond facepalm

@Li3n

@Li3n

haha @ the LotR one. <3 Elrond facepalm
Yeah, that made me ROFLMAO loudly, and it's almost midnight here...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Tim Buckley said:
Let's face it, the majority of the viewers of this show are going to be people who have never read the books before, and probably won't bother even if they enjoy the show.
I haven't read the books and I'm still loving it.
This, and what's more, of the 5 other people I know are watching it (and loving it), at least 3 of them (and myself) WILL be reading the books. We're waiting until season 1 ends.

figmentPez

figmentPez

:Leyla:

The search terms leading people to this page.

:rofl:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ahh man, all my searches for underage sex keep bringing me here.

ALTERNATE POST:

Hey, Icarus!

Dave

Dave

Just think about how disappointed these people must be. They think they are here for the child porn and all they get is words!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just think about how disappointed these people must be. They think they are here for the child porn and all they get is words!
Little bobby put his you know what in her you know what and they totally did it!

Covar

Covar

Little bobby put his you know what in her you know what and they totally did it!

Jay

Jay

Can't wait till tonight!

Jay

Jay

Oh SHI

Tress

Tress

:eek:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yup.

Wahad

Wahad

Game of thrones, more like Game of Owns, amirite? :cool:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I think I will have to read the books. The TV show has become very predictable.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Joffrey's a douchebag.

Jay

Jay

love the last scene

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Joffrey's a douchebag.
Yes, but he is a one dimensional short sighted douchebag. Who will most likely be killed to further a plot line involving detailed characters. The question is what characters will it benefit, who will kill him and how? I say he gets assassinated, but none of the Starks are involved, nor can I see it being any of the characters revealed thus far in the show.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, but he is a one dimensional short sighted douchebag. Who will most likely be killed to further a plot line involving detailed characters. The question is what characters will it benefit, who will kill him and how? I say he gets assassinated, but none of the Starks are involved, nor can I see it being any of the characters revealed thus far in the show.
Must... resist... spoilers... GNAGH...

Ok, let's just leave it that Joff isn't done being a douchebag, and is going to be very douchey to a whole lot of people he probably shouldn't.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's probably against some allies of the 8 kingdoms that he is trying to rally to his cause, once the letter that Ned sent to Stan Ist Baratheon gets received detailing who the heir to the throne is, there will be a war for the throne. Joffrey has shown he has the will to do whatever he wants despite sound advice on several occasions, so he most likely torques off some one, maybe a new brides father or something. The marriage to Sansa I surmise is now out of the question, but she's stuck at court, so she's going to suffer, maybe turned into a whore. But Little Finger still loves her mother, so he might protect her now that she's back on the market.

I curious as to how Daynarerus survives next week. It's obviously some sort of D.E.M., maybe involving the dragon eggs or something. They've invested too much into her character to allow her to die, as would be expected once her husband dies by the rules they have established for the horse people.

Dave

Dave

Oh this man knows not what lies ahead for our poor characters....

@Li3n

@Li3n

Joffrey - Richard the 2nd... but without the aids.

Dei

Dei

Oh man, people who haven't read the books in this thread. Guess we'll need to start a new thread for the next book in a month. :D

Dave

Dave

Richard II had aids?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yes, they really helped him lose weight...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gonna be aggravating as hell waiting for season 2. Aggravating. As. Hell. They haven't even started filming it yet, I hear.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They're taking their lessons from Martin. It'll be 6 years before season 2 comes out.

Dave

Dave

Anyone else fucking hated what they did with Tyrion in the big fight scene? I thought he was supposed to have kicked ass, not get knocked unconscious and miss it all.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Why would you think he would kick ass? Nothing in the entire show would suggest that he wouldn't get slaughtered in an actual battle. Even his first kill was lucky and situational. Against an army he'd be killed easily unless well protected by others.

Dave

Dave

Because he did in the book.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Anyone else fucking hated what they did with Tyrion in the big fight scene? I thought he was supposed to have kicked ass, not get knocked unconscious and miss it all.
Yeah, that irritated me. In the book, Bronn was his shadow and between the two of them they killed one knight and captured another, and then managed to stay off to the side and scrape through with minor injury. I sure hope they don't scuttle the other parts of the story where Tyrion is supposed to fight.

Tress

Tress

Yeah, that irritated me. In the book, Bronn was his shadow and between the two of them they killed one knight and captured another, and then managed to stay off to the side and scrape through with minor injury. I sure hope they don't scuttle the other parts of the story where Tyrion is supposed to fight.
That's your version "kicking ass?" Killing just one guy and capturing another, only accomplished by relying on Bronn? How is that somehow so much more vital than what they did in the show?

Dave

Dave

In the books Tyrion is much more deformed. He can hardly walk most of the time and has extremely bad legs. The fact he killed anyone and didn't get killed himself while in the vanguard of a major battle....yes, I'd call that kicking ass.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

But this is the TV show thread, they have no hope of including everything in the books, just crucial items to the plot and the rest gets Daved into HBO suitable material.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But this is the TV show thread, they have no hope of including everything in the books, just crucial items to the plot and the rest gets Daved into HBO suitable material.
And we've griped about stuff from the books they're leaving out of the show before. The difference is, here they left out something that was important to Tyrion's character development
and actually does come into play later - that despite his (tv-played-down) deformity, he actually can kill people in battle. It establishes that even in this violent world of murder and war, he's not as helpless as he or others originally thought. But now the TV Tyrion still is.

Spoilers added as Jay made an excellent point in a PM. Sorry to all if we spoiled anything. You all know how I feel about spoilers. -Dave

Dave

Dave

This is especially noticeable with the mountain people chanting "HALFMAN!!" after the battle as opposed to before it. In the books, he wins their respect and they follow him based on that respect. Which makes
their betrayal for money that much more hurtful.

Jay

Jay

People, please spoiler tags.

Don't even discuss how "it went on in the books or how things will possibly go later on based on what you read in the books". I don't give a shit. You're ruining it for me and others new to the show. Why can't people just enjoy the series for a goddamned change and leave the pessimism out of these forums? Why can't we just revel in this great show? Maybe another thread for the tears of the bookworms be can better served for their needs? I don't know but make this madness stop.

The show convinced me I'll read the books later and enjoy the series even more but please, for christ's sake, all references to the show that didn't happen ON SCREEN should be completely and utterly in spoilers.

STAFF!

Dave

Dave

Please note above in my post. Spoiler tag ahoy!
Added at: 18:40
Aside from that where I DID have a spoiler tag....who else has posted spoilers?

GasBandit

GasBandit

People, please spoiler tags.

Don't even discuss how "it went on in the books or how things will possibly go later on based on what you read in the books". I don't give a shit. You're ruining it for me and others new to the show. Why can't people just enjoy the series for a goddamned change and leave the pessimism out of these forums? Why can't we just revel in this great show? Maybe another thread for the tears of the bookworms be can better served for their needs? I don't know but make this madness stop.

The show convinced me I'll read the books later and enjoy the series even more but please, for christ's sake, all references to the show that didn't happen ON SCREEN should be completely and utterly in spoilers.

STAFF!
Snape kills dumbledore, you mangina.

Dei

Dei

As long as Martin doesn't pussify Tyrion in a certain S2 episode he is writing, I am willing to let it go. I *did* like how Ned saw Arya at the statue of Baelor in the show. Most of the rest felt pretty 'meh' after the awesomeness of last week's episode.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I quite like Tyrion. He seems like a decent enough fellow.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

Getting psyched for Episode 10 tonight. Especially knowing what's coming.

Jay

Jay

Can someone explain to me as spoiler free as possible how the eggs hatches and why she isn't affected as fire? Why her? Is she like... THE ONE?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The whole born of the dragon deal is not hyperbole it would seem. Hinted at earlier in the series with the slave girl.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Can someone explain to me as spoiler free as possible how the eggs hatches and why she isn't affected as fire? Why her? Is she like... THE ONE?
Her family is said to have been descended from dragons..and that a true Targaryen can't be burned.

The dragon thing...well, that's more complicated and explained in the books. I don't know what ot say with out seeing the episode first.

Jay

Jay

But why HER? Is she like, THE ONE?" /neo?

Dei

Dei

Blood of Old Valyria is, in a sense, tied to dragons, and gives her that. I get the impression that the magic of it has been missing for some time. :p The dragons were essentially born in Fire and Death. (Only Death can pay for a Life blah blah) They did leave an important omen out, I don't know if it was omitted or will show up in S2.

Dave

Dave

Blood of Old Valyria is, in a sense, tied to dragons, and gives her that. I get the impression that the magic of it has been missing for some time. :p The dragons were essentially born in Fire and Death. (Only Death can pay for a Life blah blah) They did leave an important omen out, I don't know if it was omitted or will show up in S2.
They show the comet in the opening credits. It's the burning eye that shows over the map.

Dei

Dei

We don't really get overt hints to Neo-ness till later. Also, the comet was not specifically pointed out is what I mean.

Martin has A LOT of subtle plot hints in the books which are not conveyed as well in TV format.

Jay

Jay

Thanks for the answers.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Joffrey's an even bigger douchebag now. I'm looking forward to seeing Tyrion put him in his place.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/is_game_of_thrones_considering.html

Espy

Espy

Alright, just finished watching the whole thing over the weekend.

I've never read the books, I'm thinking of going for it though.

Overall, I really, really liked it. The only things I didn't care for were: 1) The generic standard fantasy soundtrack (it had no... "identity" to it, it was just... "standard") and 2) I don't mind sex if it adds to the story but I'll agree with most here that the sex and nudity as so often and so graphic that it really seemed to be pandering to the lowest denominator.
Other than those minor quibbles it was fantastic.

Dave

Dave

The scene where the meister was talking to the whore as she cleaned herself up is another example of unnecessary "HBO-ing" of the show for no good reason. It wasn't in the books, didn't forward the plot and was just there to be there.

Gryfter

Gryfter

The scene where the meister was talking to the whore as she cleaned herself up is another example of unnecessary "HBO-ing" of the show for no good reason. It wasn't in the books, didn't forward the plot and was just there to be there.
I would say that it's another example of trying to liven up what would otherwise be simple exposition. That scene establishes two things, one, the Grand Maester has served that position since Mad King Aerys and that he gets visited by whores, suggesting he is willing to bend rules (Maester's are supposed to be celibate). Those become important later.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I would say that it's another example of trying to liven up what would otherwise be simple exposition. That scene establishes two things, one, the Grand Maester has served that position since Mad King Aerys and that he gets visited by whores, suggesting he is willing to bend rules (Maester's are supposed to be celibate). Those become important later.
And that he is pretending to be feeble and most likely Little Finger knows.

Espy

Espy

I don't think either of you guys are wrong, but Dave's point still stands, there are ways that could have done the exact same thing the scene needed to do without the excess nudity/sex.
Added at: 13:35
And keep in mind, I don't care if they have nudity or sex or violence or whatever, it's all about whats most effective for the scene. You know why the didn't show a certain character lose his head? The scene had more impact without it. The reaction of the characters was more important than the action that caused the reaction. Sex and nudity, like violence should be used if it enhances a scene, but it feels like it's generally just the "go-to" thing to liven up a scene.

The show still rocks though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I concur. It barely passed the sniff test for Littlefinger to monologue at whores, it goes beyond suspension of disbelief to have Grand Maester Pycelle do the same thing... no matter how funny his silly little "I'm still young and virile" dancy-jig afterwards was.

Gryfter

Gryfter

And that he is pretending to be feeble and most likely Little Finger knows.
This too!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I concur. It barely passed the sniff test for Littlefinger to monologue at whores, it goes beyond suspension of disbelief to have Grand Maester Pycelle do the same thing... no matter how funny his silly little "I'm still young and virile" dancy-jig afterwards was.
... Except the Grand Maester didn't actually reveal anything new to her in his monologue. In fact he monologued in order to further his ruse, even feigning senile forgetfulness at the end.
Likely because he's smart enough to know she can deliver any information he gives her to Little Fingers.

Still certainly out of place, but I think it actually makes more sense than the aforementioned Little Fingers monologue.
Added at: 20:01
The word monologue has now lost all meaning from overuse in my last post.

Jay

Jay

There's no such thing as an unnecessary sex scene. Each one served its point however the only thing I'm willing to debate on is the length of it. Sometimes it's just dragging on and they could have put the minutes elsewhere. However, I'm used to it with HBO with shows like Hung and Entourage.

The old man scene was exceptional. My woman said at the end of the scene "what the fuck was the point of that?"

I paused it.

Rewinded and explain it as the show ran again thanks to my sexy my HD PVR recorder, "look at this this, look at that, look at the whore, remember her?"

Than the next scene simply stole the evening, got to love those jabs the eunuch and the whore man take on eachother.

GasBandit

GasBandit

... Except the Grand Maester didn't actually reveal anything new to her in his monologue. In fact he monologued in order to further his ruse, even feigning senile forgetfulness at the end.
Likely because he's smart enough to know she can deliver any information he gives her to Little Fingers.

Still certainly out of place, but I think it actually makes more sense than the aforementioned Little Fingers monologue.
Added at: 20:01
The word monologue has now lost all meaning from overuse in my last post.
"Tartlettes. Tartlettes. Tartlettes. Word has lost all meaning."

But anyway, I don't want to spoil it, but Pycelle going out of his way to con Littlefinger only makes sense to me if they've made some major plot revisions down the road.

Espy

Espy

Well, it was a good scene, I thought it worked, but for a show that has so much going for it it's a shame they feel a need to add in so much unnecessary sex and nudity. Yes, yes, we get it HBO, it's "adult", but it feels like a little creative bankruptcy where they look at a scene and go, "Huh, whuddawedohere?" and just automatically go to T&A.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I bought book 4 yesterday, so now I've got books 2-4 sitting on my desk, waiting for me to finish book 1, which is in the mail. It still shocks me how many people think that fans of this show aren't going to read the books. As though they are shocked to find that fantasy fans are a demographic that reads.

My brother has read the books, and my dad is borrowing them after having seen the show. My roommate plans on borrowing them from me. Two of my other friends who watched the show have also been reading the books, and the other three friends I have who've watched the show are waiting for one of the aforementioned book-readers to finish so that they can borrow them.

We sold book 1 at my store, and we sold out in three days. To be clear, we are not a bookstore, and other than self help books, almost none of the books we stock actually get sold.

I've been to the bookstore quite frequently as of late, and they are always either completely sold out of George Martin, or have half the fantasy section devoted to A Song of Ice and Fire (In other words, they keep selling out of their entire stock very quickly) When I bought book 4 yesterday, the clerk told me that she's been hearing my story a lot lately (people buying books 2-4 and mentioning that book 1 is still in the mail because of the postal strike).

@Li3n

@Li3n

So the internet tells me there's gonna be more undead in the show... does the magic become more and more obvious as the plot advances?

Dave

Dave

So the internet tells me there's gonna be more undead in the show... does the magic become more and more obvious as the plot advances?
Without giving too much away, magic in this world exists, but it does so more subtly than in most fantasy settings. The only really truly flashy magic that we see comes from intense rituals. Mostly other than the undead and some dream things, you see very little if any magic. (Dragons notwithstanding.)

@Li3n

@Li3n

So there will be more flashy magic...

I mean really, i wasn't expecting them to have D&D meteor summoning murder machines... it's obviously closer to LotR when it comes to the magic then to the genre LotR started.

Jay

Jay

I assume that season 1 of the show covers the Book 1 on the series entirely?

Heard they are filming in July and Season 2 starts in April. Long ass wait again... first Walking Dead and now this.

Dave

Dave

If they stay on that schedule they will still finish the series through book 5 before book 6 comes out. It was SIX YEARS between books 4 & 5.

@Li3n

@Li3n

It was SIX YEARS between books 4 & 5.
I thought the reason why it was taking so long was because he was writing the whole story-arc and then editing it into books and doing rewrites, and he kept adding new stuff during the rewrite... or something like that.

So he should have a big chunk of the next book done already...

Gryfter

Gryfter

I thought the reason why it was taking so long was because he was writing the whole story-arc and then editing it into books and doing rewrites, and he kept adding new stuff during the rewrite... or something like that.

So he should have a big chunk of the next book done already...
From what I have heard, books 4 and 5 are really one volume in terms of the time that passes. He wrote Feast of Crows and only included the secondary characters (because at this point there are so many to follow). Dance with Dragons will have all the happenings that occur to Tyrion, Jon, Bran, Dany, and others over the course of Feast. The books also get longer as the series goes on so they could totally get an additional season or two out of what's been written. That should give Martin time to get another book out.

Dei

Dei

I think they were talking about splitting Book 3 into 2 seasons.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Clash of Kings is going to be cut to ribbons then. It's a good 200 pages longer than Game of Thrones. Unless next season gets more episodes.

Zappit

Zappit

Just finished book 1, with 2-4 sitting on my shelf. Liking this series a LOT. Really gotta power through the others - book 5 comes out the 15th.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Really gotta power through the others - book 5 comes out the 15th.
Apparently Germany missed that memo an delivered the book last week to all the pre-ordered.

Dave

Dave

Apparently Germany missed that memo an delivered the book last week to all the pre-ordered.
ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!!!

(Did that work? No? Damn you, JFK!)

Dei

Dei

12th... IT'S THE 12th! DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

SHNELL! SHNELL!

I've been reading my roommate's copy while waiting for mine to arrive in the mail.... and it finally came today!

Dave

Dave

Apparently season 2 will be still be called "A Game of Thrones" even though it's really supposed to be "A Clash of Kings". The bad news? They are thinking of calling it "A Game of Thrones: Clash of Kings".

If they do this, the abbreviation will be "GoT: CoK".

Disconnected

"GoT: CoK".
I support this abbreviation. I am starting a petition for it now.

@Li3n

@Li3n

If they do this, the abbreviation will be "GoT: CoK".
Maybe they're hinting that in s2 they'll make up for all the discrimination and have more nude males to even out all the T&A in s1...
Added at: 11:23
I support this abbreviation. I am starting a petition for it now.
TAKEIIIII......

Dave

Dave

A spoiler-free review of "A Dance with Dragons".

One line in this review pisses me off. Any guesses?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

"To that I can only say: You’re going to love it."?

I hate when I'm told what I am and am not going to like.

Dave

Dave

"I’ve read everything of his since, pretty much as soon as it came out. I have therefore been waiting for this book longer than you have — but we’ve all been waiting for it impatiently for six years."

Fuck you, hipster bitch.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ha ha ha, I didn't even catch that. Yeah fuck this broad.
Added at: 11:26
I'm not even done Feast for Crows yet so I'm not waiting with the anticipation of most around. I like to wait for paperback anyways.

Covar

Covar

I've finished Game of Thrones, haven't started Clash of Kings.

I've started reading Eye of the World (Wheel of Time) since I'm in no rush to finish either series while they're still being written.

Espy

Espy

Man, I hope this book series (which I am just starting now) stays stronger than the Wheel of Time stuff that just gets terrible about halfway through.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

How many books in is Wheel of Time? Like 15? That's kind of a ridiculous length for any story to stay coherent.

Dave

Dave

Man, I hope this book series (which I am just starting now) stays stronger than the Wheel of Time stuff that just gets terrible about halfway through.
Yeah, but the last two books have totally made up for that. I was about to give up on it but now I'll be sad when it ends.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've read them all, but I'm not happy with how he decided to separate the these two most recent books by characters instead of by chronology.
Added at: 12:39
How many books in is Wheel of Time? Like 15? That's kind of a ridiculous length for any story to stay coherent.
Books 6-9 or so were mostly just descriptions of the silver chasing thread up the hem of the left side of the aes sedai's dress with silver buttons and ruffles and laces and an embroidered icon of a book that spends paragraphs upon paragraphs obsessing on minutiae and doesn't advance the plot to any believable degree within 3 volumes.

Then they told him he was dying, and all of a sudden things started happening in the books again.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, but the last two books have totally made up for that. I was about to give up on it but now I'll be sad when it ends.
Well thats great but I just can't find myself slogging through 800,000 pages of the stuff gas posted to get there. Maybe I'll wiki it someday so I know how it ends. Probably with some very lengthy coffin descriptions I'm going to guess :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well thats great but I just can't find myself slogging through 800,000 pages of the stuff gas posted to get there. Maybe I'll wiki it someday so I know how it ends. Probably with some very lengthy coffin descriptions I'm going to guess :p
Don't worry, somebody else wrote the final few books from Jordan's notes. And even Jordan got way better around book 10.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Don't worry, somebody else wrote the final few books from Jordan's notes. And even Jordan got way better around book 10.
See Gas, competition isn't the only way to force people to be better... impending doom also works...

GasBandit

GasBandit

See Gas, competition isn't the only way to force people to be better... impending doom also works...
AKA "The War-time Economy."

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We don't really get overt hints to Neo-ness till later. Also, the comet was not specifically pointed out is what I mean.

Martin has A LOT of subtle plot hints in the books which are not conveyed as well in TV format.
The comet isn't even mentioned in the book until the last few chapters, where its not dwelled upon at all, just mentioned in passing. Its not until the beginning of Clash of Kings that its really given any significance.

I just finished Game of Thrones and began Clash of Kings last night, and honestly if I hadn't read the spoilers here in this thread (unwise, I know), I wouldn't have even given that a second thought.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Reading A Game of Thrones before I watch the show.

Lannisters. It should be a four-letter word.

Dave

Dave

Peter Dinklage is nominated for an Emmy for Tyrion!!

All in all, GoT is nominated is 13 categories. Well done!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Walton Goggins got a nod too in the same category. That's pretty awesome.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Apparently they've cast Brienne. A very tall British actress named Gwendoline Christie.

Dave

Dave

But she's not ugly at all. Being manly is what makes Brienne Brienne.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Martin said on his blog that she came to the audition looking very unlike any photo of herself. She was the only one that was close and she read fantastically.

Dieb

Dieb

Make-up can fix that. Brienne is also tall, and the actress is apparently 6'3'', which is much harder to fake :p

@Li3n

@Li3n

That's easy to fix with some glasses, a paint covered over-all and a pony tail...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

She's not ugly, but she easily falls into the TV ugly realm, which is just someone not absolutely ideal in every way.

I would climb that mountain, but I loooooooove tall women.

@Li3n

@Li3n

She's not ugly, but she easily falls into the TV ugly realm, which is just someone not absolutely ideal in every way.
Eat hot TVTropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodHomely

Now i'm gonna waste the next 3 hours just because you reminded me of the trope... you bastard.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, I saw that bit of casting a while ago too, and thought she is way too attractive to play that part from the descriptions Martin gives in the book
My brother told me that Gerard Butler was set to play Stannis, but I've yet to actually find anything anywhere that confirmed it.

(Finished Clash of Kings a few nights ago. Taking a break from the series for a bit before I start Storm of Swords)

Gryfter

Gryfter

Yeah, I saw that bit of casting a while ago too, and thought she is way too attractive to play that part from the descriptions Martin gives in the book
My brother told me that Gerard Butler was set to play Stannis, but I've yet to actually find anything anywhere that confirmed it.

(Finished Clash of Kings a few nights ago. Taking a break from the series for a bit before I start Storm of Swords)
Tyrion is described as being a hunchback with misshapen facial features and one black eye and one green eye. Do you think they should have passed on Peter Dinklage because he didn't match the description in the book?

I think the casting on this series has been excellent and I trust their judgment.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They've done a bunch more casting in the last little while.

Liam Cunningham of Starz' Camelot as Davos Seaworth

Carice Van Houten as Melisandre (who was in Black Death with Sean Bean)

Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon

GasBandit

GasBandit

Carice Van Houten as Melisandre (who was in Black Death with Sean Bean)
There better be a shitload of red hair dye involved with this or I'm gonna cry foul. I will cry fouler than any foulness has ever fouled before.

Philosopher B.

I don't know who the hell most of these characters are (haven't laid my spindly man-mitts on book #2 yet), but Liam Cunningham is tres coo'.

Also, fun fact: Gwendolyn C. is the same height as me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Tyrion is described as being a hunchback with misshapen facial features and one black eye and one green eye. Do you think they should have passed on Peter Dinklage because he didn't match the description in the book?

I think the casting on this series has been excellent and I trust their judgment.
I think you misunderstand me, and take what I say far too seriously, sir.

I am not crying foul over a pretty girl being cast in the roll, I'm merely agreeing with others (who you didn't seem to take issue with, for some reason. Did I do something wrong here?) that she doesn't look the part as described in the books. Nothing more.

I've yet to read Storm of Swords and onwards (As I said, I'm taking a break from the series to read some other things) , but so far, her reported unattractiveness doesn't seem to really serve any plot purpose, so, like Tyrion's eyes and deformations, I don't see not including them as necessarily a bad thing. It is nice when characters look the part, but being able to play the part is much more important (And even still, as far as looking the part, I think her being so tall is a more important physical trait to hone in on.

semi-related story: My ex-girlfriend was pretty furious about Daniel Radcliffe playing Harry Potter, cause I guess his eyes are the wrong colour. She was an insane person.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Just finished a Dance with Dragons, holy crap the TV series for this one if it makes it that far will break even more rules for TV, which i heartly support. And Peter Dinklage better win the fucking emmy for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister.

Dei

Dei

Personally, I won't be upset if Peter Dinklage doesn't get an Emmy this year. CoK is a much bigger Tyrion book than GoT.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wait, the DVDs aren't out yet......

Ah Beijing.

Gotcha.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Finished the first book; now I can actually watch this once it's on DVD.

Jay

Jay

Sent it to me!

linglingface

linglingface

There was a naked Daenerys at SDCC and it haunts me now... Strategically placed (TINY) dragon rubber banded around her waist and pasties that looked like nipples anyway. omgwtfmyeyesareburning

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Pics or it didn't happen? :p

linglingface

linglingface

I don't want to look at it again! I also stumbled upon a photo of after she had been escorted out by security (not sure how she even got in in the first place!) and came back with a teeny bikini top.
That link I do have because I posted it on my friend's wall (I'm a bad friend) just recently: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/5970490732/

Philosopher B.

This deserves closer examination.

*View all sizes*

*Original*

Hmmm, yes, that is definitely a fake dragon on her shoulder!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

More casting like things.

Natalie Dormer (also from the Tudors where she played Anne Boleyn) as Margaery Tyrell.

and Gemma Whalen as Asha (now Yara for name confusion reasons) Greyjoy (she's from almost nothing but had parts in the Wolfman and Gulliver's Travels)

GasBandit

GasBandit

More casting like things.

Natalie Dormer (also from the Tudors where she played Anne Boleyn) as Margaery Tyrell.

and Gemma Whalen as Asha (now Yara for name confusion reasons) Greyjoy (she's from almost nothing but had parts in the Wolfman and Gulliver's Travels)
Yara, apparently because Asha sounds too much like Osha, the wildling girl's name.
Added at: 12:36
I don't want to look at it again! I also stumbled upon a photo of after she had been escorted out by security (not sure how she even got in in the first place!) and came back with a teeny bikini top.
That link I do have because I posted it on my friend's wall (I'm a bad friend) just recently: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/5970490732/
I have a recliner that looks like that. Jeez-o-pete.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not spoiling anything, but hell, first Tyrion chapter of Clash of Kings? Fucking loving it.

Dei

Dei

Clash of Kings is where Tyrion really shines as a character IMO.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No spoilers, but I just got to a part in Storm of Swords where I almost wanted to cry.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

No spoilers, but I just got to a part in Storm of Swords where I almost wanted to cry.
RW?

I myself just read that.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yup. That
RW?

I myself just read that.
Yup. That's the one. I seriously sat there for a bit thinking "I don't know if I can keep reading these books."

Dave

Dave

Yup. That

Yup. That's the one. I seriously sat there for a bit thinking "I don't know if I can keep reading these books."
Yeah, that part is a total mindfuck. But scenes like that is why I like George R. R. Martin. You just never know who's dead and who's going to live.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, that part is a total mindfuck. But scenes like that is why I like George R. R. Martin. You just never know who's dead and who's going to live.
So, how many people have finished Dances?

Dave

Dave

So, how many people have finished Dances?
*raises hand*

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I should be done with these four in time for the paperback.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

For the "Finished Dance of Dragons" folks:

Thoughts on Jon?

-Gone for good, GRRM-style?
-Gonna be chillin' with Ghost (in the shell) for the rest of the series?
-Melisandre will resurrect him into ugly-zombie-Jon a la Catelyn and Beric Dondarion?
-Or (because of the popular theory) will they light him on fire, and he'll be all like, "'tsup, Bitches?" and they'll be all, "AAAAAAAAAHH!"

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm going to be finished Feast For Crows just in time (to wait for about 10 months) for the Dance With Dragons paperback. I've only got 200 pages left of Storm of Swords. Even with a break in between to read The Late Shift, I should be finished Feast For Crows by September.

Dei

Dei

For the "Finished Dance of Dragons" folks:

Thoughts on Jon?

-Gone for good, GRRM-style?
-Gonna be chillin' with Ghost (in the shell) for the rest of the series?
-Melisandre will resurrect him into ugly-zombie-Jon a la Catelyn and Beric Dondarion?
-Or (because of the popular theory) will they light him on fire, and he'll be all like, "'tsup, Bitches?" and they'll be all, "AAAAAAAAAHH!"
Jon has already been burned at least once, so at cool as that would be, it would also be retconning big time. I'm going with The Melisandre theory or the Wildlings go fucking apeshit and tear the Night's Watch assholes a new one before Jon actually dies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wanna thank everyone for sticking to spoiler tags.

Still early in Clash of Kings. I find it hilarious how anyone who sees the comet thinks "It's a sign for me." Reminds me of when it was July 7, 2007 (7/7/7) and different people around me were going "It's a lucky day, I should play the lottery", not realizing it was the same date for everyone.

Also...
I'm amazed Cersei had the time to pick up the pattern of events and people that keep leading people to realize who Joffrey's real father is and send gold cloaks so far north as to attack Gendry. But poor little Barra...

EDIT: And goddamn, I love Tyrion.

EDIT EDIT: Damn these books for being so engrossing! I have work to do this morning and I also don't want to run out of reading.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'm taking it slow, I mean, we have 4-infinity years to wait for the next one.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm kind of amazed that the second and third books came out in a 4-year period, now that 4 and 5 came out in a 10-year period.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Spoilers for Dance
(since we're dealing with multiple levels of spoilers in this thread)

Jon has already been burned at least once, so at cool as that would be, it would also be retconning big time. I'm going with The Melisandre theory or the Wildlings go fucking apeshit and tear the Night's Watch assholes a new one before Jon actually dies.
It's true, but the exact way that the *coughcough* are heat-resistant hasn't really been established. The wiki suggests that they weren't all like that, and the suggestion in aGoT is that some level of magical intervention from the dragons' birth contributed to *cough* not being burned at all. Maybe Melisandre will cast her resurrection spell (which we've been led to believe involves fire), but he'll return without the zombification (or maybe the reason why Jon burned is because he's only half).

Although, I wonder, would the Wildings and the Jon-loyalists even know what happened? In the confusion of the giant going nuts, they might not have even seen anything until it was too late. If people start accusing one another, the wildlings might just cut their way out, and the loyalists might think the wildlings did it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure my spoilers are "old news is old" but it's new to me!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I'm sure my spoilers are "old news is old" but it's new to me!
That's the thought. There's quite a lot of stuff you can be spoiled for in this series. :D

Dei

Dei

Dancing!

Beric wasn't really a zombie right off the bat. I'm pretty sure one ressurection wouldn't hurt Jon either way. "Lady Stoneheart" was dead for days before she was raised which is why she was so fucked up right off the bat.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Dolorous Edd is being played by Ben Crompton who has been in a variety of BBC and PBS related things.

And Michael McElhatton will play Roose Bolton and has appeared in such as 50 Dead Men Walking with Ben Kingsley

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ooop, missed one. Make that a bunch.

Tom Wlaschiha, a German actor, has been cast as Jaqen H'ghar.

Nonso Anozie as Xaro Xoahn Daxos

Zappit

Zappit

Just finished Storm of Swords. WOW. I knew
Littlefinger
was a massive jerk, but dayum!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm surprised they hadn't cast Roose Bolton in Game of Thrones considering he was among the bannermen.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I was trying to figure out where the heck I recognized Ben Crompton from. I just kept picturing him going "Wot da **** is an aeroplane?" and couldn't place it. I'm ashamed I didn't remember right away: Man Stroke Woman.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

There are some shitty rumour floating about that I hope don't end up true, the first is that there's not going to be a Brynden Tully and that he's getting merged characterwise with Edmure and the second is that the Reeds will be left out entirely, which is a massive story change.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There are some shitty rumour floating about that I hope don't end up true, the first is that there's not going to be a Brynden Tully and that he's getting merged characterwise with Edmure and the second is that the Reeds will be left out entirely, which is a massive story change.
As someone who hasn't watched Game of Thrones yet, I'll say as I did for Roose Bolton--shouldn't Brynden Tully have shown up already?

Dei

Dei

As someone who hasn't watched Game of Thrones yet, I'll say as I did for Roose Bolton--shouldn't Brynden Tully have shown up already?
Yep. I WILL BE SO MAD IF THEY CUT OUT THE REEDS. SO MAD. Though, I think Martin said that the series might start "branching away" from the books around S3. -_-

Frank

Frankie Williamson

He should have but they glazed over the ascent to the Eerie.

Dieb

Dieb

He should have but they glazed over the ascent to the Eerie.
Neither character is exactly important in the first book. They don't have an infinite budget, I can see why they'd put off paying someone good money for a few lines when they can easily set those characters up in later seasons.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Or cut them out entirely.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Robert Pugh as Craster

Hannah Murray as Gilly

And Roy Doltrice as Pyromancer Something or other

Gryfter

Gryfter

Hmmm, I can see cutting the Blackfish as he isn't really a major contributor but the Reeds?!? That makes no sense unless they are drastically changing Bran's arc.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Unless they find some other way for Bran to get his regular exposition injections, I doubt they'll cut the Reeds.

Especially since half the fandom is waiting for their dad to show up

Covar

Covar

Unless they find some other way for Bran to get his regular exposition injections, I doubt they'll cut the Reeds.
It's HBO, they'll just put in a sex scene.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I was going to say, they'd never do something like that with a kid...then I remembered. :Leyla:

GasBandit

GasBandit

He'll
monologue at a prostitute until he passes under the Wall!

Dei

Dei

Since they already minimized Rickon to basically nothing, he could just use Osha as his foil. It seemed weird to me to worry so much that they change ASHA'S name, when she always seemed way more important than Osha. :p

Wahad

Wahad

Didn't see this posted yet: Carice van Houten will be taking the part of Melisandre.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Well then you didn't read the thread suckah.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Didn't see this posted yet: Carice van Houten will be taking the part of Melisandre.
I think somebody did, because I remember grousing that there better be a whole lot of red dye involved or shenanigans would be called.

Wahad

Wahad

Woops! I didn't go back far enough, it seems. My bad!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Everyone keeps talking about how much of Rickon they've left out, but honestly, he was BARELY in the books at all either. Especially the first book.
Anyway, if they leave out the Reeds, I can kind of see why. I think they want to make the show more accessible; less high fantasy and magic, but I also think that a story change that big is a mistake. I have no idea how this can work without them.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The more I think of the Osha/ Asha thing the less it makes sense to me. Television is a VISUAL MEDIUM. It would make some sense if say, they were adapting an established television series into a series of books, but nobody is going to get two actresses who look drastically different confused for one another just because their names are phonetically similar. Hell, I think most people who haven't read the books, probably don't know Osha's name.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Spoilers for Dance
(since we're dealing with multiple levels of spoilers in this thread)

It's true, but the exact way that the *coughcough* are heat-resistant hasn't really been established. The wiki suggests that they weren't all like that, and the suggestion in aGoT is that some level of magical intervention from the dragons' birth contributed to *cough* not being burned at all. Maybe Melisandre will cast her resurrection spell (which we've been led to believe involves fire), but he'll return without the zombification (or maybe the reason why Jon burned is because he's only half).

Although, I wonder, would the Wildings and the Jon-loyalists even know what happened? In the confusion of the giant going nuts, they might not have even seen anything until it was too late. If people start accusing one another, the wildlings might just cut their way out, and the loyalists might think the wildlings did it.
I think Jon will be fine. Martin has a habit of ending chapters on a cliff hanger but I think that Val or Melisandre will find him and fix him up. I am more interested in what the letter from Ramsey Snow/Bolton said. It would be strange if Stannis was dispatched without revealing what happened to him. I wonder how much of that letter was true and how much was a ploy to incite Jon.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Getting on through Clash of Kings.

Stannis burned a godswood.

Fuck him. Raw.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Getting on through Clash of Kings.

Stannis burned a godswood.

Fuck him. Raw.
Yeah, he's kind of a dick. I am excited for you.

I'm nearing completion of Feast for Crows. I just go to the part where
Arya kills the Night's Watch deserter and wakes up blind.

Holy crap.
I am angry that once I finish this I have to wait. I can borrow a hardcover Dance with Dragons from a friend, I suppose, cause I sure am not buying it until the paperback is out.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Yeah, he's kind of a dick. I am excited for you.

I'm nearing completion of Feast for Crows. I just go to the part where
Arya kills the Night's Watch deserter and wakes up blind.

Holy crap.
I am angry that once I finish this I have to wait. I can borrow a hardcover Dance with Dragons from a friend, I suppose, cause I sure am not buying it until the paperback is out.
Oh go ahead and borrow it, then you can join the rest of us that have to wait for Winds of Winter ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think I'm gonna force myself to wait between Clash and Storm. I've been addicted to this book to the point that my own work at home is starting to suffer. I'm gonna finish the last 70 pages tonight just so I won't have the temptation tomorrow. Storm and Feast can sit in my closet for some time while I catch up on other things and maybe read a less engrossing book. Seriously, video games have not been the kind of hindrance that this book has been.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think I'm gonna force myself to wait between Clash and Storm. I've been addicted to this book to the point that my own work at home is starting to suffer. I'm gonna finish the last 70 pages tonight just so I won't have the temptation tomorrow. Storm and Feast can sit in my closet for some time while I catch up on other things and maybe read a less engrossing book. Seriously, video games have not been the kind of hindrance that this book has been.
^This. A thousand times this. For the whole series.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dance
Arya, you poisoned a guy with a gold coin. Just, holy shit.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh go ahead and borrow it, then you can join the rest of us that have to wait for Winds of Winter ;)
Yeah, that I am looking forward to even less. But I'm actually going to pick up the Dark Tower series once I finish this book. Bought the first two books today. I've had multiple different sources tell me its right up my alley, and from what I gather they are not wrong about that. Even still, I'm probably going to wind up borrowing Dance With Dragons before the end of the year, because I am impatient.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Dark Tower is much inferior to this, and Martin didn't need you to read a bunch of his other books to "get" the whole story like the Dark Tower does. I think The Gunslinger was an alright start, but a quick decline followed and though I enjoy Stephen King, maybe it just wasn't my thing. People have told me the second book, The Drawing of the Three, is the best and if you're not hooked at that point, you won't be. I went through that, wasn't hooked, and then even gave the third book a shot--disappointed. I hope you find it better than I did.

As for A Clash of Kings, I had less to go than I thought (confusion caused by appendices having page numbers) so I finished it tonight. One thing I really like about these books is that I can already tell I'll enjoy reading them again in the future.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh I certainly don't expect it to live up to THIS.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dance
There are thousands of Wildings along the wall now. They outnumber the Night's Watch.

You know what would be a good idea? Kill the one man keeping peace!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dance
And thank you TV Tropes, for explaining to me just how it is implied that Wyman had the Freys in his court killed and then fed them to everybody at Ramsay's wedding.

Espy

Espy

The Dark Tower is much inferior to this,
Whoa, whoa, whoa there Mr. Prime. These are apples and oranges that are being compared. I can't actually think of two series that are more different than TDT and SOIF. I can't say if one is better personally, they are just far to different of beasts. TDT series, especially the first 4 books or so, are amazing and don't require you to read anything other than the series to get whats going on. Enjoy reading them checkered but realize they are a VASTLY different genre of literature from SOIF. Vastly different.

Dave

Dave

I hate - HATE - Dark Tower series. I'm on the second book and waiting for it to get good and it's just not. Everyone keeps crowing about how good it is and I want to punch these people in the face.

Espy

Espy

Hey, different strokes for different folks. I'd never say TDT is for everyone. SOFI is mainstream and safe. It's great and it's easily accessible. TDT is not.

Seriously though Dave, if The Gunslinger didn't draw you in (no pun intended) you aren't going to like the series. I wouldn't even keep going if I were you.

Dieb

Dieb

Dance
And thank you TV Tropes, for explaining to me just how it is implied that Wyman had the Freys in his court killed and then fed them to everybody at Ramsay's wedding.
Also dance
Yea, I totally didn't get that when I read it either. It was obvious Wyman had killed the Freys, but I didn't realize he had put them in the pies until I went to the asoiaf message boards. That bumped up Wyman's awesome quotient by about 1000% for me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, my friends keep telling me it seems well-suited to me. Though that may well be purely because of the subject matter and not the writing style. They all know I watched Sergio Leone films religiously all year, but none of them are really that familiar with my choice in books.

I wasn't going to finish Feast For Crows today, but this series makes me lack self-restraint. I woke this morning and immediately picked it up. I've only got ten pages left, so I might as well finish today. I'll hold off on Gunslinger until the commute to work tomorrow morning though. Its a short novel, so I'll be able to give a report in a few days.

Back to (more or less) the thread topic: Holy shit Feast For Crows.
Quotemander,you are wise to hold off on Storm of Swords. Once you start reading that, you aren't going to get anything else done. But I urge you, finish your other business quickly and start reading, because WOW. Shit gets real.

I will say, I found Storm a bit more of a chore to read than the other three books so far. Even though the storyline itself was incredibly engaging, Martin spent a whole lot of time in that one describing food in minute detail I didn't care for. Feast has been somewhat of a lighter read, the pacing is amazing and I just find it difficult to put down.

Tress

Tress

Peter Dinklage won an Emmy. Most deservedly so, I might add.

Terrik

Terrik

Also, what's this I've been seeing about a GoT game on Steam? I hadn't heard of it until I logged onto steam yesterday.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also, what's this I've been seeing about a GoT game on Steam? I hadn't heard of it until I logged onto steam yesterday.
I had heard that Martin sold the videogame rights, but I thought that was still a long way away from release.

I'm not actually sure how that game would be. The books don't really focus on the action.

Dei

Dei

I had heard that Martin sold the videogame rights, but I thought that was still a long way away from release.

I'm not actually sure how that game would be. The books don't really focus on the action.
http://grrm.livejournal.com/237278.html
Added at: 21:15

Dave

Dave

Fuckin'-A, right?!? They got one right!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That does make me happy.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Woot!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Man, if only there was a genre that wasn't all about pew-pewing at other people and using strategy instead...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Man, if only there was a genre that wasn't all about any kind of battle whatsoever, and using sitting on chairs using politics instead...
I think is what you mean.
An RTS MIGHT work, since even though they aren't given much detail other than a few of them, it is about strategy, but an RPG? How exactly will that work?

Then again, I am not sure how they made the LOTR games as good as they did either.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I know i didn't read the book, but i assumed the show's (not actually shown onscreen) battles where at least inspired by something that happened in the books. And plenty of strategy games have included diplomacy... which is why i didn't use RTS and just said strategy.

As for a RPG... how much politics where there north of the Wall?

GasBandit

GasBandit

As for a RPG... how much politics where there north of the Wall?
A surprising amount.

@Li3n

@Li3n

A surprising amount.
As the highlander tribes of the setting i expect their politics to at least include some head-butting...

GasBandit

GasBandit

As the highlander tribes of the setting i expect their politics to at least include some head-butting...
You said you didn't read the books, so I'll try to keep the spoilers down as much as possible - the wildlings have numerous different factions and leaders who might be occasionally convinced to cooperate under one leader when catastrophe threatens them all.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And i was hoping by convinced you'd mean they go all viking drunk and violent meeting...

GasBandit

GasBandit

And i was hoping by convinced you'd mean they go all viking drunk and violent meeting...
No doubt HBO will insist they monologue their motivations while the have sex with prostitutes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

There are battles in the books, but the books are most told from the perspective of people OUTSIDE of the battles, so you just hear about them after-the-fact, for the most part. There are a few exceptions, though.

I specifically said RTS because that's what the game is. There is an RPG also coming, but its a ways off.
I'm not saying they can't work, I'm just saying it'll be interesting to see if they can make it work. Like I said, I thoguht the LOTR games were surprisingly good. Ice and Fire is mroe about politics and scheming, but its not impossible to make it work.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There are battles in the books, but the books are most told from the perspective of people OUTSIDE of the battles, so you just hear about them after-the-fact, for the most part. There are a few exceptions, though.
It might be confusing to some who have watched the HBO series but not read the book, as the series has skipped all the battles (such as the capture of Jaime Lannister, Tyrion's leading the barbarians, etc).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It might be confusing to some who have watched the HBO series but not read the book, as the series has skipped all the battles (such as the capture of Jaime Lannister, Tyrion's leading the barbarians, etc).
In a way, the book kind of skipped some of that as well. We never really see the battle outside Riverrun, just hear about it.

Espy

Espy

Ok, don't spoil anything for me but both me and my wife are asking kind of out of frustration, does ANYTHING happen in A Feast of Crows? Geeze. After 3 books of awesomeness now it's "heres' 80 pages of what kind of clothes someone is wearing" and "now heres 500 pages of people walking from one place to another".
I mean, I'm mostly enjoying the Jaime and Cersai chapters and the sadly rare Arya chapters but almost everything else seems like he just realized he killed off all his interesting characters and now is meandering with what he has left. My wife is on Dance and she says it feels the same way.
I mean, I don't want to be debbie downer but Feast just feels.... a lot less interesting than anything he's done previously.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually really liked Feast. You have to remember though that Feast and Dance are both just to bridge the time gap between Storm and Winds. They are a little less eventful on the surface, but there's a lot going on when you think about it.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Ok, don't spoil anything for me but both me and my wife are asking kind of out of frustration, does ANYTHING happen in A Feast of Crows? Geeze. After 3 books of awesomeness now it's "heres' 80 pages of what kind of clothes someone is wearing" and "now heres 500 pages of people walking from one place to another".
I mean, I'm mostly enjoying the Jaime and Cersai chapters and the sadly rare Arya chapters but almost everything else seems like he just realized he killed off all his interesting characters and now is meandering with what he has left. My wife is on Dance and she says it feels the same way.
I mean, I don't want to be debbie downer but Feast just feels.... a lot less interesting than anything he's done previously.
Remember that Feast specifically doesn't have any of the "Main" characters POV in it and instead follows the happenings in the South that lead up to about 2/3 of the way through Dance. It is a tough book to wade through but it does setup a lot that will happen later on.

Espy

Espy

I expect it's setting stuff up so I'm plowing through it but damn he's not making it easy. I don't give a shit about any of the characters except Arya, Jaime and Cersai and maybe Asha. I already know where Sansa is so Breanns story *feels* very anti-climactic so far. He's killed off everyone I found interesting or he's not following them in this book. Which is fine but it feels like he's spending more time on clothes, food and the scenery then he is on plot so it doesn't feel like it's moving forward at all.
So, like I said, I expect it's set up but it's a far cry from A Game of Thrones, which was also all set up but damn exciting set up. Reading about the political machination Ned was dealing with was a hell of a lot more interesting than reading about how dreary the road is that Breann is on. But I trust him so I plow on.

Dei

Dei

I felt that way about Dance. I don't remember if I felt the same about Feast, it has been a while since I read it, and I didn't have to wait 6 years for it.

Espy

Espy

Thats what my wife is saying about Dance as well so I'm kind of dreading another 1000+ pages of set up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I haven't begun Storm yet, but those having issues with Feast and Dance should keep in mind that those books weren't intended to be written originally--Martin tried to write what goes on in them as flashback and found it wasn't working, so he needed to write a book to go over the events. Then it got too big and Feast was divided into Feast and Dance.

Espy

Espy

What he seems to had needed was an editor. So far it seems like these could have been one book pretty easily.
Added at: 16:13
Honestly, if the first three hadn't been so freaking amazing these wouldn't feel so mediocre. Bud damn him, he wrote 3 phenomenal books that keep the pace going and these just slow things down a ton and focus on generally undeveloped characters.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also dance
Yea, I totally didn't get that when I read it either. It was obvious Wyman had killed the Freys, but I didn't realize he had put them in the pies until I went to the asoiaf message boards. That bumped up Wyman's awesome quotient by about 1000% for me.
Wait, how did I not catch that when I read it?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

New GoT RTS trailer up.

Gameplay seems very reminiscent of settlers 7 to me... armies of extremely small scale, limited to movement on roads between towns and landmarks, lining up to take their turns hitting each other. Kinda disappointed, but what did I expect for a tie-in game?

Dei

Dei

What he seems to had needed was an editor. So far it seems like these could have been one book pretty easily.
Added at: 16:13
Honestly, if the first three hadn't been so freaking amazing these wouldn't feel so mediocre. Bud damn him, he wrote 3 phenomenal books that keep the pace going and these just slow things down a ton and focus on generally undeveloped characters.
Seriously, certain characters could have been condensed down to one chapter because they did nothing but sigh the whole time. :p

Espy

Espy

Seriously, certain characters could have been condensed down to one chapter because they did nothing but sigh the whole time. :p
Right? Honestly, it makes me worry that he's going to go the Robert Jordon route and completely forget that he is telling a story and instead spend 4 books describing things and not moving anything forward except maybe in the last chapter.

Dave

Dave

RTS? Pass. And suddenly there's dragons everywhere? Meh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes and no. It's not turn based, but there's also no tactics involved other than "have a bigger army."

At least, assuming it's as similar to The Settlers 7 as I think it is. There's no control over your armies any more than what units are in them and which town/landmark they are on the way to. When they meet an enemy, your only button is "retreat," otherwise you just wait and see who wins.

I wonder if it will have the same economy system.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I kind of hope that the reason there are Dragons everywhere is this is set during the time before the books when the Targaryens are still in power.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I kind of hope that the reason there are Dragons everywhere is this is set during the time before the books when the Targaryens are still in power.
That is also my interpretation - the "Genesis" in the title means "here's how it all got started." IE, it takes place during the Targaryen conquest.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That is also my interpretation - the "Genesis" in the title means "here's how it all got started." IE, it takes place during the Targaryen conquest.
Dei posted a link in this thread to an article about the game, and the article said the game takes place "... generations before Martin’s books begin..." So yeah, that makes sense. Maybe if they didn't call it Game of Thrones there wouldn't be this confusion, but what are you gonna do? They have a brand name that works now, of course they're going to use it.
The article also shed some light on my whole "how are they going to make the politics into an RTS?" thing.
To win, you’ll need to earn enough prestige points to ascend to Westeros’s uniting Iron Throne. In its victory conditions, Genesis is still an RTS, but it differs to most of its peers, as Regis explains. “There’s no basebuilding, no development of technologies, no mass-production of fighting units. The key is alliance building.”
I'm vaguely interested, now.
Almost makes me think of Twilight Imperium, the greatest boardgame ever.

General Specific

General Specific

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just finished A Dance with Dragons today. Going to start on another book my little brother recommended; "the Name of the Wind"

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I finally finished Storm of Swords.

Is it wrong that I wanted more from Sandor Clegane? I know he was always a relatively minor character but I was hoping for his character to actually....do something.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I finally finished Storm of Swords.

Is it wrong that I wanted more from Sandor Clegane? I know he was always a relatively minor character but I was hoping for his character to actually....do something.
That disappointed me, too.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Dance with Dragons spoilers

I'm of the opinion that the large novice in the monastery is actually Sandor Clegane

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm of the opinion that the large novice in the monastery is actually Sandor Clegane
Do you mean Gregor Clegane? I think by the description he is too large to be the Hound.
Also,
He was "suggested" by Qyburn, no one had heard of him before, and nobody's seen him eat, sleep or even go to the washroom. I'm pretty sure he's a Frankenstein-like monstrosity Qyburn's patched together doing his "experiments" in the dungeon. I think parts of him are Gregor Clegane.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Still Dance

He means Sandor. The new apprentice was walking around with a limp. And Sandor wasn't small. He was muscular, just not titanic like Gregor/Franken-Gregor is.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Still Dance

He means Sandor. The new apprentice was walking around with a limp. And Sandor wasn't small. He was muscular, just not titanic like Gregor/Franken-Gregor is.
I know, but Ser Robert Strong is described as "8 feet tall or maybe taller, with legs as thick around as trees... (pg 859)." I don't think Sandor was quite that big.

Jay

Jay

E1YOJ.jpg

Enresshou

Enresshou

I know, but Ser Robert Strong is described as "8 feet tall or maybe taller, with legs as thick around as trees... (pg 859)." I don't think Sandor was quite that big.

No, I'm talking about Sandor Clegane, not Gregor; and I'm not referring to Robert Strong as the apprentice, but the gravedigger who walked with a limp in the monastery. Keeping with the whole "they're probably not dead unless they die on page" thing George Martin does, we never actually see the Hound die; initiates wear a wrap that covers their face; the timing between Gregor being injured and left to die and the novice arriving at the monastery syncs up; and I'm pretty sure that the monk stating that, "The man called the Hound is dead" was metaphorical.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see; just my two cents. If a second extant Targaryen can be written in with absolutely no foreshadowing, I'm not going to rule out Sandor surviving.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No, I'm talking about Sandor Clegane, not Gregor; and I'm not referring to Robert Strong as the apprentice, but the gravedigger who walked with a limp in the monastery. Keeping with the whole "they're probably not dead unless they die on page" thing George Martin does, we never actually see the Hound die; initiates wear a wrap that covers their face; the timing between Gregor being injured and left to die and the novice arriving at the monastery syncs up; and I'm pretty sure that the monk stating that, "The man called the Hound is dead" was metaphorical.
Of course, we'll have to wait and see; just my two cents. If a second extant Targaryen can be written in with absolutely no foreshadowing, I'm not going to rule out Sandor surviving.
Oooooooooooh. That makes sense, yes. I don't know how I so badly misinterpreted what you said.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Keeping with the whole "they're probably not dead unless they die on page" thing George Martin does,
And in a few notable cases, NOT EVEN THEN.

Cantor

Nice, thanks for the link! Actually just posted our review of the game now. Check it out if you are interested:

http://theunplayables.com/2011/10/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-review/

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Jay

Jay

So, I've been reading the first book, about 600 pages in and I'm shocked on how... close to material HBO were. Sure, there are some slight changes here and there but it's been on par thus far. I also enjoy seeing a new perspective from a different person every chapter. It's refreshing and interesting to say the least.

The book is so good, I might even start reading the 2nd book before the HBO series continues. (and I have 7+ books waiting for me).

Espy

Espy

I think they did a phenomenal job of translating the book to the screen. Almost every change was perfect for the medium.

Jay

Jay

Indeed.

It was just shocking when I started reading Pillars of the Earth after watching the HBO series (which was great and Haylee's cans were fantastic to look at). When I started reading the book, I was at ate on how different it was. Heck, I was waiting for the "ring" story to come into the picture and it never did because it was a COMPLETE fabrication. The book was excellent, even more so since it felt like some type of... remix that was even more intriguing than the series was.

In a way I enjoyed it both. I tried to watch the 1st episode again and I turned it off, the first 20 minutes was complete fabrication.

I'm glad Game of Thrones was respected.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So here's who they've cast as Ygritte for next season:

I'm down with it.

Espy

Espy

You know nothing, GasBandit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know nothing, GasBandit.
I may know nothing, but I know what I like.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Awesome picture.
She'll do nicely.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, she ain't even tv ugly. Isn't Ygritte supposed to be, I dunno, kind of not all that attractive?

Not complaining, looking forward to seeing her out of her furs.

Dei

Dei

The only thing I remember them saying was something about a gap in the teeth? Brienne is the only one that they went out of their way to describe as super ugly.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Nah, Jon mentions a lot of her features as to why he shouldn't be so drawn to her.

Dei

Dei

By the same token, Jon was trying to talk himself out of well... yeah. So I'd consider any flaws mentioned solely by Jon to be tainted. Besides. even Peter Dinklage isn't TV ugly, and Tyrion is described as being pretty gross.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Indeed.

It was just shocking when I started reading Pillars of the Earth after watching the HBO series (which was great and Haylee's cans were fantastic to look at). When I started reading the book, I was at ate on how different it was. Heck, I was waiting for the "ring" story to come into the picture and it never did because it was a COMPLETE fabrication. The book was excellent, even more so since it felt like some type of... remix that was even more intriguing than the series was.

In a way I enjoyed it both. I tried to watch the 1st episode again and I turned it off, the first 20 minutes was complete fabrication.

I'm glad Game of Thrones was respected.
And you make me glad I never watched The Pillars of the Earth series, because I would've been irritated from the sound of it.

Jay

Jay

Don't get me wrong, my fiancee and I loved the series and because of it I bought the book of Amazon for a few pennies.

Regardless, HBO did Game of Thrones pretty damn well.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Most, if not all of this article, has already been said here, but nonetheless: http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1189387p1.html?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

Frank

Frankie Williamson

By the same token, Jon was trying to talk himself out of well... yeah. So I'd consider any flaws mentioned solely by Jon to be tainted. Besides. even Peter Dinklage isn't TV ugly, and Tyrion is described as being pretty gross.
Like I said, I'm not in any way complaining. I like looking at pretty people.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Like I said, I'm not in any way complaining. I like looking at pretty people.
Yeah, the book called her gaptoothed, plain, and even a little chubby in the face, if memory serves. Who cares hot redhead.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They'll smear some dirt on her face and muss up her hair and their job will be done, as far as they;re concerned.

Jay

Jay

April 2012

Enjoy

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh hey, the first season DVD set comes out March 6th.
http://www.amazon.ca/Game-Thrones-Complete-First-Season/dp/B002IFT1ZA
5 discs. Plenty of special features.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'm definitely picking up the BOORAY.

Jay

Jay

When does Season 2 start on HBO?

It's crazy how when this series ended season 1, I never read any of the books. Currently, I'm 100 pages into the 5th book and loving it. Reading it slowly, a chapter a day.

This is simply a great series.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

When does Season 2 start on HBO?

It's crazy how when this series ended season 1, I never read any of the books. Currently, I'm 100 pages into the 5th book and loving it. Reading it slowly, a chapter a day.

This is simply a great series.
April. I don't think the exact date is announced yet, but they have said April.
My little brother says April 1st but I haven't seen that anywhere.

And yes, yes it is.

Jay

Jay

My major concern is that these books follow eachother pretty closely, aka, what? 1-2 years have passed since the first book?

So many seasons.... the child actors are going to outgrow their roles, especially the Brans, Sansas and Aryas....

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'm a little stalled out on the 4th book. I do not give a flying shit about a lot of these characters.
Added at: 22:42
My major concern is that these books follow eachother pretty closely, aka, what? 1-2 years have passed since the first book?

So many seasons.... the child actors are going to outgrow their roles, especially the Brans, Sansas and Aryas....
I think there's going to be a big time jump in the 6th book. So, the kids getting older and making the events of the first 5 books take place over a longer period of time shouldn't be too huge of an issue.

And all the trailers on HBO.com say April 1st.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons are supposed to be a 5 year time span in between Storm of Swords and Winds of Winter, unless I am mistaken.

Jay

Jay

I'm a little stalled out on the 4th book. I do not give a flying shit about a lot of these characters.
It comes together nicely near the end. I also agree. I don't give a shit about the Ironborn... but the things that happen in Dorne are important near the end of the book. Personally, my favs are Arya and Cercei. Cercei is a fucken power hungry loon. I was entertained. Jaime was fine as well.

The next book covers the other characters, I'm 100 pages in, Tyrion, Jon, Dany... good stuff.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You have way more discipline than me. Once I started Clash of Kings, I could hardly stop. I'd keep putting it down, walking away... and then coming back, saying "Just one more chapter." I'd finally put it down an hour later. I haven't even started Storm yet for this reason. I got too much to do right now for George RR Martin to push the pause button on my life.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Season 2 premieres April 1st

:aaah::popcorn:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just found out Best Buy has exclusive packaging for pre-orders. Normally I wouldn't care, but the packaging is sexy enough I may have to preorder. Which leaves me with the choice of BluRay or DVD. Right now I don't have a BluRay player or a BluRay drive, but I do intend to make the switch some time this year...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat262800050008&type=category
In the UK, HMV will apparently have the preorder exclusive packaging option as well.

*edit*: and now I'm finding that the exclusive packaging doesn't seem to be available anywhere for Canadians. :aaah:
Added at: 18:18
You have way more discipline than me. Once I started Clash of Kings, I could hardly stop. I'd keep putting it down, walking away... and then coming back, saying "Just one more chapter." I'd finally put it down an hour later. I haven't even started Storm yet for this reason. I got too much to do right now for George RR Martin to push the pause button on my life.
I tried to keep myself to a chapter a day, and I think it wound up being more like 3 a day because I have no self control.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

There's preorder bonuses on fucking DVDs and Blurays now?

/quitworld

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Another trailer for season 2 hit:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Oooooooooh, thas a gud traylor.

Jay

Jay

Fucking shivers up my spine man.

The music.... the eunuch's riddles.... and best of all... Tywin's face at the beginning.

How many episodes?
Added at: 13:37
Repeat and Repeat this goes on... 20 minutes now... listening to the riddles of dear Varys.... man... this is truly the American Lord of the Rings.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That may be one of the best trailers for anything, ever.

Jay

Jay

Still watching it.

I don't recall Littlefinger meeting up with Catelyn in the book though? Should be interesting.... unless it was at... you know where.
Added at: 16:22

NM found it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Still watching it.

I don't recall Littlefinger meeting up with Catelyn in the book though? Should be interesting.... unless it was at... you know where.
Added at: 16:22
I don't recall that either. It was way back in May or June that I read Clash of Kings though, so its a bit hazy.

Jay

Jay

I don't recall that either. It was way back in May or June that I read Clash of Kings though, so its a bit hazy.
Extra Spoils
In fact, they never meet as far as I know in the "present" time period. However, we'll see how they'll play it out. I'm open to certain small liberties.... just nothing on the level like Pillars of the Earth though... the book and the series, while both excellent, beyond names and class structure was pretty much a "fan fiction" of the book.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Littlefinger was sent away from King's Landing at one point to fetch help; I'm sure they could easily send him away for envoy purposes earlier on considering how much time passes over the course of Clash of Kings.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

TV2 started showing not only The Game of Thrones but also Boardwalk Empire two weeks ago here in the North... er, I mean Finland.

Loving both of them so far. I just hope I'll be well enough and otherwise around to get the book and GoT on DVD. And that the execs won't be idiots and not air the second season -.-

Jay

Jay

vRhQY.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yoink.

Dei

Dei

brienne.jpg

Brienne isn't bad considering we have to deal with "Hollywood Ugly". Other char pics up at grrm.livejournal.com

Jay

Jay

Hmmmm.... Mellisandre not as hot as I thought she would have been.

Nice find this journal.

Brienne looks exactly as I thought she would.

Gusto

Gusto

Sansa Stark: Do Nothing.

:D

Dei

Dei

But Sansa did a lot, she
fucked over the lives of her family because she was all wet to live a fantasy.

Espy

Espy

Man, Brienne looks freaking perfect.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

PRetty happy with that Brienne. I can't wait for this show to come back.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm pretty happy with that Stannis too.

Jay

Jay

Stannis wasn't in the first season....?

We're in the process of re-watching Season 1... saw episode 1 last night.... will watch an episode every few days.

Gusto

Gusto

Not that I recall. Renly was, but Ned was always trying to contact Stannis and never had any luck.

Jay

Jay

That's right. I agree, he looks spot on.

Davos though... he looks like a badass.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No they didn't have Stannis in the first season. They mentioned him once or twice, if I recall correctly, but he was never there.
And yes, Davos is SPOT ON.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Davos looks more bad-ass than I envisioned from reading. Melissandre is exactly as I pictured her.

Stannis is friggin perfect.

Jay

Jay

You know nothing Darryl Prime.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hmmmm.... Mellisandre not as hot as I thought she would have been.
In that picture she's wearing two tents and partially obscured. Give it some time, the actress playing her is... tasty.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

In that picture she's wearing two tents and partially obscured. Give it some time, the actress playing her is... tasty.
I'm sure she'll look hotter when she's...

Squatting out a shadow baby.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I found out more about the exclusive packaging. It is available in Canada after all. Its at Futureshop, and the deal is not as good. Preorder the DVD and you get the House Targaryean packaging, pre order the Blu ray and you get the House Stark packaging. No choice between the two. And unlike in the States, no keychain, if that even matters.
The DVD is 49.99 and BluRay is 64.99.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b48f80731e116a8e50462c525a45d811en02
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...aging-blu-ray-2011-blu-ray-disc/m2194391.aspx

Jay

Jay

You're welcome.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://tiff.net/gameofthrones
HBO Canada, in association with TIFF, presents Game of Thrones: The Exhibition, March 9–18 at TIFF Bell Lightbox

Free ticket available as of Monday, February 27
Exhibit features costumes, weaponry, props, photography and video from the set of HBO’s epic fantasy Game of Thrones, including never-before-seen items
Fans can have their picture taken sitting on the iconic Iron Throne

Jay

Jay

Fuck... Toronto....

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Another new trailer:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Florence!

Gods, Melissandre is imposing. Interesting that they show stuff with Rob, since Clash of Kings didn't do that.

I gotta start reading Storm of Swords sometime soon.

Jay

Jay

Shivers up my spine when Tyrion spoke at the end.
Added at: 20:31
WTB 6th book

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

ONE MORE TIME!

Wahad

Wahad

Joffrey gets slapped again! Hooray!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://tiff.net/gameofthrones
I'm going on St. Patrick's Day.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The exhibit was a little disappointing, to be honest. They had Stark, Baratheon, Stannis, and Lannister banners, Renly's armour, Jon Snow's armour, one each of Melissandre, Catelyn, and Cersei's dresses, Danaerys' dothraki garb, a dragon egg, the Hand of the King pin, Joffrey's crown, and a few swords, shields and set dressings (glassware, ale horns, that sort of thing). Mostly it was photos and a bunch of behind the scenes featurettes. No photography allowed either.
They did have the Iron Throne out front (A plastic one, not the actual one from the show) to sit in and have your picture taken. I haven't gotten my pictures yet.
Oh well, it was free and still pretty cool. I was just expecting way more.

Wahad

Wahad

gameofthrones.jpg

(from here)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh, they also had Eddard Stark's head on a pike

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Got 20 minutes?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Season 1 ended a week ago :(

Got Season 1 on DVD yesterday :)

Counting Season 2 as one of the reasons to kick the cancer's ass ;)

That is all.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Decided the hiatus had gone on long enough and started book 3. It's like I never left.

I really appreciate Martin putting at the beginning of the book that the opening chapters take place during the final chapters of the previous book, and that some of the overlap is going to be rough. It helps understand characters' mindsets.

Jay

Jay

3rd book is by far my favorite.

Enjoy

Gusto

Gusto

I just finished book 3, and REALLY enjoyed it, even the parts that made my heart break and made me unable to sleep, or pick up the book for 3 days.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah
I just finished book 3, and REALLY enjoyed it, even the parts that made my heart break and made me unable to sleep, or pick up the book for 3 days.
.... that part. Oh god that part. I very seriously contemplated abandoning the series. Not out of frustration, you see, but out of grief.

Jay

Jay

Book 4 and 5 I feel were the weakest of the series. The most detailed and intriguing but not much ever happened with the continual and ridiculous introduction of new characters.

Mind you I liked reading the views of established characters like Jamie and Cersei but man.... so many new characters and not a whole lot happened and since it does take the make 3+ YEARS to write a goddamned book, I'd like not hit my twilight years before the series is done.

Oh... and Dany takes far too much time in Book 5 and it's SOOOOO SLOOOOOW.

Espy

Espy

Book 4 and 5 I feel were the weakest of the series. The most detailed and intriguing but not much ever happened with the continual and ridiculous introduction of new characters.

Mind you I liked reading the views of established characters like Jamie and Cersei but man.... so many new characters and not a whole lot happened and since it does take the make 3+ YEARS to write a goddamned book, I'd like not hit my twilight years before the series is done.

Totally agree.
He really needs to avoid falling into the "writes 2000 pages, only 30 of which advance the actual storyline and characters that anyone gives a damn about" trap because those last 2 books feel like he might veer that direction...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually liked book 4, though it took a while of getting used to the new characters. Once I got past that stage though I enjoyed it. I appreciated how much less he talked about the food they were eating. Book 5 was a SLOG though, especially the Daenarys chapters.
Chapter 4- Dany sits and does nothing. Chapter 8- Dany sits, and does nothing. Chapter 11- Dany twiddles her thumbs, waiting for something to happen. Chapter 16- Dany takes a nap. Chapter 23- Dany wakes up from her nap and sits down and does nothing. Chapter 30- For the love of GOD, do something, Dany.

Jay

Jay

What is lamentable is that Dany is by far the most un-interesting character when she could easily be the most.

I like how they teased he with Tyrion then LOLz.... more of nothing. Check out what Raz Ghaz Ballz Ghaz Raz is saying and doing.

It was a huuuge contrast to chapters with Tyrion and Jon. Heck, Dany managed to make Bran's story interesting. Too many stall tactics and ultimately I think his plan to separate it to 2 books falls apart miserably.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This is a "Meet the New Characters" thing so if you're sensitive to spoilers this is one I guess:

That is not how I've been pronouncing Tyrell.

Frank

Frank

Margery Tyrell seems to be getting a massive boost from her role in the book.

Gusto

Gusto

I was hoping for a Brienne introduction. :(

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I was hoping for a Brienne introduction. :(
I was hoping for one too, but it was pointed out to me that the way she and Asha are introduced in the book are both meant to be big, for lack of a better term: gag, reveals. Anyone watching the featurettes before the season wouldn't experience that reveal the same.

Gusto

Gusto

That is true!

Jay

Jay

You definitely see Brienne in the original Season 2 trailer. (the really good one)

Dave

Dave

I have to agree that book three is where shit gets real. Basically everything you thought was going to happen is thrown out on its fucking ear and you're left going, "What the fuck?!?"

And then there's the epilogue...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If I told you guys that there are a bunch of clips on youtube, totalling probably 5 minutes of the show, would you want to see them?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Can only embed 5 videos at a time

Jay

Jay

2 more dodos.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I legitimately do not know what that means.
dead links? (extinct?)
old clips that I missed?

Gusto

Gusto

Days.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

is dodo french for day? I somehow never learned that in school.

Ah, it means sleep. Seriously, I hate the Ontario public school system's French curriculum,

Gusto

Gusto

Jay's crazy man.

Gusto

Gusto

Jay says all kindsa weird shit.

Wahad

Wahad

is dodo french for day? I somehow never learned that in school.

Ah, it means sleep. Seriously, I hate the Ontario public school system's French curriculum,
It must be some crazy bastardized canadian-french dialect then, because dodo does not actually mean sleep.

In other news, holy shit does Robb knock it out of the park in that clip. KING IN THE NORTH! :aaah:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

In other news, holy shit does Robb knock it out of the park in that clip. KING IN THE NORTH! :aaah:
"I will litter the south with Lannister dead."
"King Joffery is a Baratheon, your Grace."
"Oh Is he?"

Bad ass!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, I gotta get to seeing season 1.

Loving book 3 BTW.

Jay

Jay

IT'S HERE BITCHES

Jay

Jay

It was good. :sohappy:

Gryfter

Gryfter

Kick ass start to the next season.

Dave

Dave

They hit the ending and the wife and I went, "That was an hour?!?"

Good sign, good sign!

Frank

Frank

The credits music being a darker twisted version of the King's arrival music from the first season was awesome.

phil

phil

cersei and little finger's scene was really good, especially when she gave her own display of power.

It looks like the main things that will be going on are going to be split between the main war, the stuff going on north of the wall with the night and Daenerys' rebuilding of her army. I'm wondering how the three will play out and what they'll mean for Westeros as a whole. From the previews it looks like Stannis and Rennley are going to duke it out first with each other, while the Starks and Lannisters continue going at it. I'm not even sure of Daenerys is going to continue her quest to retake the iron throne. With Robert dead, no one else should be coming after her. With her son and Drogo dead, she doesn't really owe anyone else anything. She could use her dragons to start a following and make her own kingdom where she is now. Though if she does want to invade Westeros she's probably got to get on that soon. Even with Drogo's army that was only like 40k riders which I don't think would have been enough to win. She'll have to get at least that much under her command.

And the thing is though, I'm not even sure if I should or shouldn't be rooting for her. I like her, and she seems kind enough and smart enough (though I think she's going to toughen up pretty quickly) to be a good ruler. I like her better as queen than I do Stannis as King or anyone else with the exception of maybe Rob Stark who doesn't even want it.

Who is this guy though, that the night's watch visited this episode? The guy who married all his daughters and keeps having more daughters. Why are they taking his shit, exactly?

Wahad

Wahad

Who is this guy though, that the night's watch visited this episode? The guy who married all his daughters and keeps having more daughters. Why are they taking his shit, exactly?
His name is Craster. He's a wildling (which is a catch-all term for any human north of the Wall) They take his shit because they're staying the night at his place, before they move on. He's the last camp in reach of the Wall, and given the frozen wastes they're in, any roof is better than none. As Jeor said, all six villages they passed through before then were all abandoned, so they had no real choice.

Terrik

Terrik

My girlfriend is hooked on this show, and we're gonna have to wait a few days for the Chinese subtitled versions to come out. I could be watching it now, damn it, but nooooo

Terrik

Terrik

I think I just thought of something else to post in the deal breaker thread :wololo:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I really like how they used the comet to change scenes so seamlessly.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

And now I'll just sit here and wait until they get this show over here as well.

Dave

Dave

I really like how they used the comet to change scenes so seamlessly.
I like the fact they finally touched on the fact that there WAS a comet!

Jay

Jay

My watch begins.

wzh2g.png

BananaHands

BananaHands

Not only is the show great, but I can't stop reading the books and love how the show just barely adjusts some events.

I'm a bit confused on how they're going to do the shadow-birthing, but hey.

Frank

Frank

Bananahands

I'm pretty sure we've already seen bits of the scene in the trailers. The split second they show Melisandre looking like she's either getting boned or giving birth. I don't doubt they add in some Melisandre boning time to the series but I like to think it's the more important birth thing

Some people seem to be taking umbrage with the fact that the wolves are CG now, but I think it's the only thing they could do. They're A) Getting bigger and B)The wolves in the first season were nigh untrainable and all they could get them to do is run across camera and really limited their screen time to almost nothing. I thought they looked fine. The wolves and the dragons both look perfectly acceptable.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Ohh, thanks Frank. Watched it again. Saw it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Some people seem to be taking umbrage with the fact that the wolves are CG now, but I think it's the only thing they could do. They're A) Getting bigger and B)The wolves in the first season were nigh untrainable and all they could get them to do is run across camera and really limited their screen time to almost nothing. I thought they looked fine. The wolves and the dragons both look perfectly acceptable.
Agreed. I liked that the direwolves look like direwolves now. It was okay in the first season since they were pups, but I mean, they DID just look like huskies, cause that's what they were. And perfect example of the limited acting was when Ghost was warning Jon Snow about the Wight, he did not at all look like he was barking at an intruder, he looked like an excited dog wanting to go for a walk.

Gusto

Gusto

NOPE NEEDS REAL DRAGONS

Frank

Frank

Jay

Jay

KIfFB.jpg

Jay

Jay

Probably the best line of the premiere IMO

Gusto

Gusto

TYRION

Y U SO COOL??

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

It's his height. He's at the perfect height to rip a person's nuts out and show them to him.

Or in this case, her ovaries.

I think.

Man, I hate having to wait for great shows :(

Wahad

Wahad

We're not the only fans of Game of Thrones. Now, this might seem obvious, but have you considered just how far the ravens have flown?

Example: http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/the-dogs-of-game-of-thrones

I'm laughing so hard.

Gusto

Gusto

What about Sandor Clegane!?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Reading through A Storm of Swords...

WHY DO YOU KILL THE THINGS I LOVE GEORGE R. R. MARTIN

Dave

Dave

Because his books are as realistic as possible for a fantasy world. There - as in real life - good people can and do die. Sometimes horribly. Sometimes peacefully. But mostly horribly.

Gusto

Gusto

Keep reading Greggy. Soon will come the justice.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Past 800 pages in Storm of Swords (probably closer to 900). I ate through around 300 pages of this tonight instead of doing the stuff I was supposed to. But I could not stop.

There were things I wanted to happen that didn't, and now they never will...

Jay

Jay

Gusto

Gusto

Seriously though is there anyone half as cool as Littlefinger? He and Tyrion are great and I can't wait to see them interact this season.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I got up at 5 AM on a Saturday so I could read more.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Been there.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was at page 590 after a couple weeks last night, and now the book is finished. My discipline stumbled, and rather than try to help it, I cut its head off. I have a new one now, and it's about not reading Feast for a while, because I have other things to do in my life.

I can't even remember what I thought was going to happen after Clash, but it's certainly not what happened in Storm. There's holy shit, and then there's HOLY SHIT. Damn, Storm was so good that I was actually looking forward to Sansa chapters.

Book 3 mega-spoilers
I had tears in my eyes when...

I thought Hound killed Arya. The whole part leading up to her reaching the Twins, I thought "Come on, just let something good happen, please."

Sansa's chapter with building the little Winterfell really underlined where the pain came from. I was hoping that at some point they'd have Winterfell back, and sure, Eddard is gone, but that the kids, who've been spread to the winds, would reunite and there'd be a family again. That's not possible now, in any regard, even with the awesome moment in the Epilogue.

Speaking of which, every Frey needs that to happen to him. That shit with Robb and Grey Wind just burned...

I was certain Tyrion was dead meat in this book, but then... I don't know. Everything got so fucked up in all sorts of ways. I had to think that Tywin would've made a good king despite his assholery, but now everything's going to be thrown into disorder again.

Trying to figure out Littlefinger's reason for having Lysa send the letter to Catelyn about Jon, but it's so hard to untangle Littlefinger. But I fucking knew it was her, from book 1, I was certain.

Anyway, that was incredible, but no more for a while.

Jay

Jay

Contrary to belief, Lannister don't shit gold.

2 and 3 are my favorites, the last 300 pages of so in each book was awesome.

Book 4 and 5 are bloated and feel like filler compared to them.

I don't know WTF Martin is doing but if he's waiting another 4 years to release his next book, there's going to be a problem.

Dei

Dei

Contrary to belief, Lannister don't shit gold.

2 and 3 are my favorites, the last 300 pages of so in each book was awesome.

Book 4 and 5 are bloated and feel like filler compared to them.

I don't know WTF Martin is doing but if he's waiting another 4 years to release his next book, there's going to be a problem.
Look Jay, it was VITALLY IMPORTANT that Martin spend 5 million chapters telling us that Daenerys was sad, OK?! GD.

Jay

Jay

Look Jay, it was VITALLY IMPORTANT that Martin spend 5 million chapters telling us that Daenerys was sad, OK?! GD.
Book 5 was by far the worst of them all, at least halfway into that book she starts making decisions, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. I don't mind her character, I mind that it took 5 years to write it. Also, the storyline is forgettable when I still remember vividly Book 2-3.

Honestly? If he wrote the book in 2 years instead of 5 years I'd be more understanding. If book 6 had a release date, I'd be understanding. It's been officially 1 year since the release of Book 5 and almost no news have been forthcoming.

And knowing Martin's record of finishing series....
[/quote]

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hit the end of book 3 with the knowledge that he'd intended for the characters to be in a certain general position for a 5-year jump.

Of course, I can understand why he abandoned that and instead chose to write Feast and Dragon. Apparently the prologue to cover the gap was approaching 250 pages. That's insane.

Book 3 stuff:

While Bran chapters were the ones I was dreading due to boredom in book 3 (instead of Sansa's), I was a little put off that his last one was so far from the end of the book. Also even though Jaime is out for redemption it seems, I'm still pissed at him for causing the murder of Jory Cassel, so his redemption can fuck off.

Jay

Jay

Ni19u.jpg

Gusto

Gusto

Just so.

Jay

Jay

I wish they'd stop giving screen time to Ros. Though the Littlefinger bit was cool.

Dei

Dei

They added Ros as a character because they liked the actress, but all her scenes feel so unnecessary. Like last week. I get that they were showing
Robert's bastards being murdered
, but I do get pretty annoyed at the sex scenes that are only added to fill some imaginary T&A quota. Pretty sure we did not need another "practicing" scene.

Dave

Dave

I *HATED* tonight's episode. Unnecessary T&A for no reason, characters acting out of character (Stannis), the way Theon's sister acted. Just...ugh. Yes, in the books they had whore houses. But they NEVER had a scene that I can remember with Littlefinger in the whorehouse. They are portraying him as ruthless as he is in the books, but in the books he's not this fucking obvious.

I sure hope it gets better than this.

Jay

Jay

I disagree. I thought the show was EXCELLENT as usual.

I just find the Ros character annoying. For every 5 minute segment she gets every week they could easily give it to someone else. Perhaps a scene with Catelyn or Robb, perhaps another Tyrion scene. Or maybe a Bran or Sansa scene? I just think she's pointless. Yes, they tied it in but she gets on my nerves because she never existed in the books.

As far as liberties taken, I'll see how they pan out at the end of the season.

Asha however really wasn't exactly as I pictured her... maybe it was the fugly face but whatever. We'll see. I felt that whole scene at the docks was rushed and started off wrong. Shame. Also, Yara? WTF.... Why cause Osha sounds too much as Asha? What will they do once all the Gruznaqaqnqnaqaqaqas that will come in?

The only thing that does bother me is that large amount of bad titty I've been seeing. Sure I expected the boat whore to be some random fugly POA but comon, somehow somewhere there has to be an actress with natural nice breasts? As far unnecessary T&A, they were mostly all in the book, even with a pretty safe assumption that Melisandre had sex with Stannis but it was never revealed openly... such as Renly's gayness with the Knight of Flowers.

I close my eyes and think of Pillars of the Earth and go.... Hello Hayley Atwell

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They got rid of Stannis' daughter? Melissandre said his wife had only given him stillborns...

Dei

Dei

Really don't see at all why we needed to see Ros crying over another woman's baby. If they wanted to add that scene at least use the baby's mother.
Def getting sick of always seeing Littlefinger in whorehouses.
Everything else seemed ok. I assume Bronn is being used in place of Bywater to reduce character count.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Asha however really wasn't exactly as I pictured her... maybe it was the fugly face but whatever. We'll see. I felt that whole scene at the docks was rushed and started off wrong. Shame. Also, Yara? WTF.... Why cause Osha sounds too much as Asha? What will they do once all the Gruznaqaqnqnaqaqaqas that will come in?
That's exactly why they changed her name, and it makes no sense at all when you've got Robb, Robert, and Robert, who all play larger roles in the story than Osha has so far. ESPECIALLY in television, where viewers are more likely to know the characters visually than by their name, and the two actors look nothing alike and are never even close to the same place at the same time.

Jay

Jay

They got rid of Stannis' daughter? Melissandre said his wife had only given him stillborns...
Words were : "Only stillborns and death."

Jay

Jay

Really don't see at all why we needed to see Ros crying over another woman's baby. If they wanted to add that scene at least use the baby's mother. Def getting sick of always seeing Littlefinger in whorehouses. Everything else seemed ok. I assume Bronn is being used in place of Bywater to reduce character count.
Exactly. It does feel forced on, most likely they really like the actress. If they did, they should have given her the part of someone else.

Dei

Dei

That's exactly why they changed her name, and it makes no sense at all when you've got Robb, Robert, and Robert, who all play larger roles in the story than Osha has so far. ESPECIALLY in television, where viewers are more likely to know the characters visually than by their name, and the two actors look nothing alike and are never even close to the same place at the same time.
Robb is always Robb, King Robert dies in the first season anyways, and I think they renamed Robert Arryn to Robin, since Lysa already calls him that in the books all the time anyways.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They still refer to King Robert often enough, and no, they definitely stuck with Robert Arryn being named Robert Arryn.
Point still stands. The names Osha and Asha are different enough, especially when partnered with two different faces in two different landscapes interacting with completely different sets of characters, that people shouldn't be getting them confused.

Jay

Jay

It's a piss poor decision to say the least. Apparently this was "known" 8 months ago. I don't give a shit because I don't follow production details a year before they happen on T.V.

I'll be honest, Asha was one of my favorite characters in the book, the name change and the fugly actress kinda disappointed me. I didn't expect her to be hot but geeez.... I was like...

Asha?

YepYepWTF.gif

GAAAAH

....when her face came on the screen.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seems to me they went out of their way to make the actress look as homely as they could. In other roles/photos, she's not fugly. No supermodel, but definitely no Yara.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah I didn't think she was that bad looking when we were talking about casting earlier in this thread:
https://www.halforums.com/threads/winter-is-coming-a-game-of-thrones.24910/page-7

GasBandit

GasBandit

And they did the same to Osha. At first she was this dirty little hairball... and over the next couple of episodes, they steadily cleaned her up and she transformed into Tonks.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I can't wait for the "Ygritte is too pretty!!!!" posts.

And who knows... they might change her name to Yogurt to make it less confusing.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I can't wait for the "Ygritte is too pretty!!!!" posts.
That already happened.

BananaHands

BananaHands

That already happened.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No, wait! Don't feel bad! It'll happen again!

Gusto

Gusto

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Renewed for 3rd season.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Renewed for 3rd season.
As if there was ever any doubt. But the problems will come when they've used up all existing material before Martin publishes his next book.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

As if there was ever any doubt. But the problems will come when they've used up all existing material before Martin publishes his next book reach the 5th season and the cost of the show out weighs the revenue it brings in

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Jay

Jay

Fuck 9Gag.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fuck 9Gag.
Here, you're allowed to like it now:
IInsist.jpg

BananaHands

BananaHands

Here, you're allowed to like it now:
View attachment 5435
At least 'enjoyed' is spelled correctly.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

At least 'enjoyed' is spelled correctly.
Yeah, I didn't notice that last night when I found the image, so I figured while I was editing it for Jay's enjoyment I'd do a quick fix.

Jay

Jay

oyIJ4.jpg

Jay

Jay

8u8Ju.gif

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Spoilers for Storm of Swords
I keep speculating in my head on what will happen next after this book in terms of reports and news being brought to Tywin Lannister, and then remembering that's not going to happen anymore. It's so strange to have one of the few dominating figureheads of the first three books be suddenly gone.

Jay

Jay

Spoilers for Storm of Swords
I keep speculating in my head on what will happen next after this book in terms of reports and news being brought to Tywin Lannister, and then remembering that's not going to happen anymore. It's so strange to have one of the few dominating figureheads of the first three books be suddenly gone.

I thought it was brilliantly done. I was like... DID I JUST READ THAT. The Red Keep is simply not a place I'd want to live.

Jay

Jay

Oh and...

Ni19u.jpg