[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

Trying to write lyrics for the opening theme. Here's what I got so far:

Violence,politics and some boobs
There's zombies, direwolves and lots of boobs

Knights and lords and kings they all like booooobs
Oh no exposition, Show some boobs

Please HBO stop using old TV/Movie cliches in a story that strove not to use them (yes I know Martin was TV writer in the past), ffs stupid guard goes into cell of one of the most dangerous men in Westeros AFTER he bashed his cousin face in, how does this make any sense AT ALL, cripes Hodor has more brains than it took to write that contrived POS scene. :mad: (going back to reading the Dresden Files must find happy place again.)

Please HBO stop using old TV/Movie cliches in a story that strove not to use them (yes I know Martin was TV writer in the past), ffs stupid guard goes into cell of one of the most dangerous men in Westeros AFTER he bashed his cousin face in, how does this make any sense AT ALL, cripes Hodor has more brains than it took to write that contrived POS scene. :mad: (going back to reading the Dresden Files must find happy place again.)
Yeah, most of the "changes" I haven't minded, I actually prefer what is happening with Dany right now, it's actually interesting, but this scene was silly and it was not needed as others have pointed out. I know what they wanted to accomplish but this didn't' get them there any faster or better than other ways.

Well they needed a way for Jamie to escape, since they shoehorned Littlefinger trying to get in Caitlyn's pants at Renly's camp, instead of having Tyrion try to break him out under a peace banner. But yes, hella dumb. It also irritates me that they are apparently all out in the field instead of at Riverrun, and thus there is no reason for Tywin not to take the bait of the Craig being attacked, because there is no silly Tully keeping his attention in the wrong direction. Though I wonder if Roose Bolton will take on that role, or if they are just going to write the whole weasel soup story out of the series. Also, as neat as the whole Arya story is in the series, I more or less call bullshit on Arya ever being able to hold her own against Tywin at this point in the books. And the amount of time Tywin spends talking to a servant (even though he clearly knows Arya is lying about who she is, if not actually who she is) is equivalent to Littlefinger laying out all his plans to whores getting their lesbian on. I feel like Tywin might put two and two together, figure out who Arya is, then get Jaqen'ed.

Speaking of Tullys...
Having not seen Edmure yet... They can't have the Red Wedding without him... More potential for story ravaging?

I think he'll be introduced 3rd season. They're apparently making the 3rd book into two seasons (something this God damn season could have benefited from).

My friends did the same with what they believe to be the best tagline for the show: Are we gonna fuck, or what?

anyway this most recent episode has really been the only time where I've been disappointed with the changes from book to show.

I don't like Jon Snow being taken captive by the wildlings. I think it's really compelling to read in the books how torn he is being a double agent. They might still work that in, perhaps the wildlings have captured halfhand as well, but I still feel it would have been better the original way.

Otherwise I think that the changes have been fine. I can appreciate various changes (merging characters, for instance) because it makes it a bit more exciting than just seeing the book played out scene for scene.

Alright, so I'm not minding the change to waht happened in Qarth as much. It gives Dany a reason to go to the Warlock's temple ( I don't really remember that part of the book too well, just that I didn't think it made much sense), and more importantly, made something interesting happen to Dany for the first time since Khal Drogo died.

The other big changes so far seem to be being made for that whole "Television audiences need a definitive villain" reason. George Martin definitely favours the Starks and makes it really easy to hate the Lannisters and see them as villains (Other than Tyrion), but he does make some effort to really humanize Jaime and Cersei, and it's much more interesting because as much as you hate them, you start wanting to like them and there's a kind of conflict as a reader. The writers of the show seem to be happier with Jaime and Cersei just being evil. Not a fan of the change they made to Jaime's imprisonment.

Really? Because I see a lot of trying to make Cersei less hateable in the show.
Yep I see it too. They are showing her as a sad woman who has no control over her oldest child, but still loves him because she's her mother and has no other choice. That did not really happen in the books. She was very much in the "Joffrey can do no wrong he is perfect in every way, why isn't Tommen more like him" camp in the books.

Yeah, I guess there's that. I more meant for Jaime, but I seem to remember her a bit different from the books. I seem to remember that although she hates how childish Tommen as (as a child) she was never really "Joffrey can do no wrong" so much as just incredibly overprotective and overbearing of her children, much as she currently is in the show.

I'm a little bummed over the lack of weasel stew.

And I'm doubly bummed that that scene with Rob and What'sherdoctor took up what felt like 23 hours of screen time in a very uneventful episode.

Arya is adorable.

How many more episodes? I enjoy hearing the griping. I don't mean that sarcastically; this gets my expectations better set for whenever I get to watching this.

I think there's only 2 more? It's a 10 episode season, right? That'd mean 2 more.

They really need to increase the orders, even just to say 12 episode seasons. This season seemed very rushed, and another hour and a half or so would definitely have given a bit of breathing room.

Double checking how many episodes were left, saw that next episode is
"Blackwater" and is the only episode in the entire series thus far written by George RR Martin.

No.Bloody.Mummers. :mad: Fuck it, definitely not watching 3rd season, guessing there won't be any Unsullied either, just some local cub scout troop with a bad attitude. pheh! Its been Two Towers'ed, I supposed 2000 Elves will show up and save King's Landing next week instead of a giant chain Tyrion had built in secret.

This episode felt slow, which is surprising because they rushed the end of what Arya has for what I'd guess is the rest of the season. I'm not disappointed so much in how she left, just that they left out the last awesome part with Jaqen H'ghar where...

he gives her the coin and changes his face

which I suppose they might still be able to include in the next episode or the last one, but still.

I'm excited for next week's episode. I'm wondering if it'll just all be centered around the battle and may exclude anyone not involved. In the book it's covered from start to finish more or less all at once, jumping between Tyrion, Sansa and Davos so it wouldn't surprise me.

I've liked this season, for the most part. I feel the biggest fault though was the pacing. It feels like they rushed the first half of the book, which forced them to take the 2nd half much more slowly, so it's felt kind of dragged out in places. I hear they're splitting the books up into half seasons from here on out, so maybe that'll help.

GasBandit

Staff member

I think I like yours better, but...

!

Dave

Staff member
Why do they feel the need to make Cersei a sympathetic character and lessen the things which Tyrion did
to prevent the sacking of King's Landing?!?

At least they let him fight this time but they hardly did that!

Why do they feel the need to make Cersei a sympathetic character and lessen the things which Tyrion did
to prevent the sacking of King's Landing?!?

At least they let him fight this time but they hardly did that!
It's refuckingdiculous and I think it weakens her God damn character.

That was a pretty awesome episode, beyond the 50 liberties taken as usual of course.
If there was any episode where they were going to have to take some liberties, this was it. If I had to choose between

wildfire and the chain

I'd choose the former. I thought this episode was great. Totally exceeded my expectations. The only thing I wish they had included was a bit more between Sansa and the Hound -- because I'm a total shipper in that regard -- but I forgive gurm for cutting it short.