My father said "Now, son, this choice deserves deliberation
Though you could be a doctor or perhaps a financier
My boy, why not consider a more challenging career?"
When I was a young boy
My father took me into the city
to see a marching band.
He said son when you grow up,
could you be the savior
of the broken, the beaten, and the damned?

So I woke up this morning to a ballistic missile threat warning. On phones, on TV, the warning system at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam...

It was a false alarm.

I don't know if it's a rant or epic win because I'm pissed this happened and I'm so happy it was nothing. Fucking scary as hell.

Thanks. It was pretty awful. I wasn't too worried about it until the big voice system on the base started broadcasting to shelter in place. There is no community plan for what to do in the event of a missile launch other than to get to a windowless room with your emergency supplies. That is literally no room in the downstairs of our house.

edit: because I'm still wired and it's affecting my grammar.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
So I woke up this morning to a ballistic missile threat warning. On phones, on TV, the warning system at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam...

It was a false alarm.

I don't know if it's a rant or epic win because I'm pissed this happened and I'm so happy it was nothing. Fucking scary as hell.
I sure did think of you when I saw this. Man, what a fuck up.

GasBandit

Staff member
Uh, so maybe, stay away from Romaine lettuce for a hot minute, you guys.[DOUBLEPOST=1515893010,1515892773][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks. It was pretty awful. I wasn't too worried about it until the big voice system on the base started broadcasting to shelter in place. There is no community plan for what to do in the event of a missile launch other than to get to a windowless room with your emergency supplies. That is literally no room in the downstairs of our house.

edit: because I'm still wired and it's affecting my grammar.

fade

Staff member
Oy it's always rough to see someone accidentally drop the F bomb on SNL. Surprised they didn't catch it with the delay.

figmentPez

Staff member
Or just do a better job of washing your greens, you filthy animals :p
Consumer Reports "Washing Your Greens Won't Protect Against E. Coli"

"According to James Rogers, Ph.D., director of Food Safety and Research at Consumer Reports, if E. coli (or any other type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning) is present in your produce, washing it won’t remove all of those organisms. And it doesn’t take much bacteria to make you sick.

"'It is very difficult to remove bacteria from leafy greens,' he says. 'Bacteria have the ability to adhere to the surface of the leaves, and to get stuck in microscopic crevices.' E. coli bacteria can even find their way into the interior of your produce."

Here's random for ya: Saskatchewan architect offers a history lesson about catalogue homes - Residents ordered the home designs from a magazine and built it themselves

@Dirona had found a number of these when she was looking up designs for her houses in The Sims IIRC. It was kind of fascinating. Maybe she can help with links to a few of them, as they were kinda funky, with "base" homes, and then addons you could buy to expand your house as you could afford it, and/or your family got bigger.
Sears used to sell homes like that. And I follow a number of tumblrs tat like to post catalogue homes from the 50s. They aren't kits like the ones you posted about, they are more blueprint catalogues.

Sears used to sell homes like that. And I follow a number of tumblrs tat like to post catalogue homes from the 50s. They aren't kits like the ones you posted about, they are more blueprint catalogues.
The article itself mentions Sears as a competitor for that type of house. And yes, from what I remember of Dirona's research, they were most often built for you, though it did vary, as some were "kits" and others were "kits, or we'll build it for you!" with different price points.

fade

Staff member
Sears sold a ton (well literally more) of those houses. The Heights here in houston had quite a few of them before it got gentrified into an upper class neighborhood. Now they're going, "Oops, we should've preserved those".

The article itself mentions Sears as a competitor for that type of house. And yes, from what I remember of Dirona's research, they were most often built for you, though it did vary, as some were "kits" and others were "kits, or we'll build it for you!" with different price points.
The house my father lives in is one of these kit homes. It has quite a history to it, from the original guy who brought it by horse cart to its current location to all the additions/renovations that were done to it, and even a story of a previous resident who was doing top secret work on a WW2 bomb sight in the basement, and had the house wired up so that people upstairs could send a signal when guests arrived so the guy in the basement would know to throw everything in the safe. It sounds like an outlandish tale, but there IS a mysterious doorbell wired up inside one of the built-in China cabinets, soooo...

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
There was much wringing of hands and biting of nails. They wanted to recreate an old logo perfectly, but didn't know what font was being used below the main logo.

Guess who figured out that the font used in our fancy-ass logo was Times New Roman in bold. Boy we got our money's worth out of that graphic designer, didn't we.

My son does not have a great concept of time. Combine this with my sleeping through my fitbit alarm (which seems to be a constant problem with the Charge 2) and forgetting to turn on the back up alarm I have on my phone for when this happens, and my son sat in the bathroom for an hour and a half (watching YouTube) and missed the bus before my daughter got up for school and noticed and knocked on my door. Thankfully, even though my son has to catch the bus almost an hour before school starts, the school itself is only a 10 minute drive, so he still got to school on time.

It was probably for the best, since it was -4 outside and that would have been a cold wait for the bus.