I think that today has been evidence that it is ludicrous to expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to keep that shit up indefinitely.

But to be perfectly open about it, the first 5 or so days of that 2 weeks were zero calories, and not by choice. I simply couldn't handle anything besides water. After that, even just drinking protein shake, I couldn't handle more than a mouthful or two at a time, and then needed hours to process it before I tried for more nutrition.

So, it's not exactly like the low calorie intake was by choice.

But the 800 calorie diet leading up to the surgery? Yeah, I did that for 5 weeks and lemme tell you, if I didn't have a surgery date as a goal, I would not have lasted a year doing that, either.

I've done the liquid diet before. I lost 75 pounds on it. It was great. 3 years later, I started putting weight back on again, and got heavier than I ever was. This time, I'm trying for something more permanent.
But it's not indefinitely, it's 2 more weeks. It just seems like a bad idea to go against doctor's orders when you just had major surgery.

GasBandit

Staff member
But it's not indefinitely, it's 2 more weeks. It just seems like a bad idea to go against doctor's orders when you just had major surgery.
Patrthom was talking about doing it indefinitely (or at least for a year or two), without surgery, though, was what I was responding to.

To be cruelly fair, if you are a person who can offhandedly restrict your diet to < 200cal/day for a couple weeks at a time, then you are also probably someone who doesn’t need the surgery in the first place.

—Patrick
Well yes and no, because people would starve to death in a couple of weeks on that little food if they don't have a surplus already built up, and doing it regularly (on purpose) to the point of malnutrition probably means you are anorexic and need different medical help.

Well yes and no, because people would starve to death in a couple of weeks on that little food if they don't have a surplus already built up, and doing it regularly (on purpose) to the point of malnutrition probably means you are anorexic and need different medical help.
To the point of malnutrition, yes. Otherwise, you just call it “fasting.”

—Patrick

I...uh...thought you were being facetious. You really DID write that! I have to watch it again! (Even though I don't watch wrestling and only have a peripheral idea of who most of those people are [yes, I know them from other things, but not wrestling])
No, I really forgot. I can't remember how, but I stumbled across it on YouTube the other day.

Dave

Staff member
I'm not the one who willingly decided to get surgery to lose weight, you are. So follow through. I had several relatives get that surgery, and none of them managed to keep the weight off long term.
Dei bringing the tough love, holy shit.

Dave

Staff member
In other news, because Sam's car got totaled, I had to give her a ride to school today. Thankfully she goes to school at the same school where I work so this was easy peasy. While there, she showed me some pictures of a car she wanted to get. I said, "Well, at lunch let's run to the bank and see if they can get you pre-approved." So we did. And they did. So from there we went to the dealer who told us...the car she wanted was a manual, not an automatic. Damn. She wanted auto. But we looked around and, well...

1-16-2018 5-25-32 PM.png

Carfax says it's never been reported with an accident. There's no water or electrical damage that we can see. It leaks nothing that we could find. It rides quiet. It's a 2010 Ford Fusion SE and it's in our driveway right now.

AND while we were getting the deal done, the insurance called saying hers was, indeed, totalled and the amount they are giving her is...$700 more than what she paid for it. After they take out the $500 deductible.

So yeah. Good day.

Dave

Staff member
I'm sure you posted this as a joke, but I never liked South Park and didn't watch much of it. I don't understand.
Randy in the episode is acting like a complete dick. He wants to do whatever he wants without consequences because this is America!

Dei bringing the tough love, holy shit.
I thought that was my job.
Ok, she has demonstrated she has talent, she can help.
It's a 2010 Ford Fusion SE and it's in our driveway right now.
Say what you will about Fords in general, the Fusion series is almost always a solid buy (since it’s practically a Volvo) and they usually have nice cavernous trunks.

—Patrick

Say what you will about Fords in general, the Fusion series is almost always a solid buy (since it’s practically a Volvo) and they usually have nice cavernous trunks.

—Patrick
Can confirm - the trunk space on these cars is wonderful. I've used them while moving twice now.

To clarify further, I'm implying that your serving size of 4 is wrong and that in America, a sundae like that can be for one person.
I was just using the Disney number there, I haven't had one, and not really a fan of sundaes. Just plain ice cream, I have my moments, but too much "stuff" on them for me to enjoy.

It's a 2010 Ford Fusion SE and it's in our driveway right now.
They don't fit tall people with decent-height torsos. I tried, they don't fit. Long legs, even longer than mine, but not torso height. If you're all legs, that's fine, but I'm not.

I have my issues with Chrysler products, but near-universally they fit (as long as there's no sunroof). That doesn't hold for any other manufacturer. Hell, my first car was a Dodge Neon.

Funnily enough given the average height of the country, the majority of Kia (from Korea) brand cars/SUVs fit me. They were 2nd-place for "compatibility"

GasBandit

Staff member
So, Underling 1's boyfriend/fiancee? has been working here as a sales dude for a couple months, and I'm afraid he's just not gonna hack it. This is the same boyfriend who she's had to leave work several times in the past to go to his work and take him to the hospital because he's had a seizure and fell and hurt himself. Legacy of a failed attempt at a boxing career, and some other stuff I'm not eager to dig into.

Anyway, what marbles the guy has left kinda rattle around up there, and I feel bad for her because this guy's about as sharp as a bag of hammers and clearly is not only failing to land clients, but the few (as in, 3 total in all this time) he HAS managed to get, he totally screws up all the paperwork and whatnot on. The orders he's put in the system look like they were processed by Bizarro, or maybe the Infraggable Krunk. His most recent... attempt... he's just put his name in any required field that he apparently got confused about. Order designation? His name. Product code? His name. I guess we should be thankful he didn't put himself down as the client. Anyway, this same order also only has one contract line, which describes that the commercials are to air between 10 am and 8 am.

Uh... That means the commercials could air literally at ANY time other than between 8 and 10 am. 2 am? Fine. 5 am? great. 10pm? Yep. I'm pretty sure that's not what the client wants.

And the guy's been through the training, same as anyone else. He just can't catch on. And even talking to him is difficult because he's always got a sucker or something in his cheek, and his words are already slurred (again from the too many blows to the head thing) so it's like trying to talk to Mushmouth straight from the dentist. Poor guy probably won't be here another 2 months, and I feel bad for what that means for Underling 1's finanical situation... and worry that might mean she will have to leave this company to find another job (because nobody here gets enough money), and I've put all the time in the world into training her and grooming her, and I've really come to rely on her.

I hate to say it, but the dude is a lead weight around her neck. She's smart, and a hard worker, and kind and sweet as heck, and he is the living human embodiment of a dead end. And I can't fathom what brought them together, other than he's still got his boxer's physique. Maybe the cynics are right and that's all it takes.

fade

Staff member
On an unrelated note, have you enjoyed driving a sedan all these years?

Too bad. The market has spoken and everybody's gonna drive an SUV or a truck.
You know, it's funny. We rented a full-size car for a family trip once, and in reality, we had more space inside than we did with an SUV. Not to mention the interior was far more comfortable, and the trunk was giant.

That being said, I think the big issue with sedans is that they're boring. The manufacturers' most distinguishing features seem to be their branding. Back in the 90s when sedans were super-popular, they all looked the same. As soon as the Taurus came out with its at-the-time weird bubble design, everyone immediately copied it, and everything was a scaled version of the Taurus.