Hey Americans, is mayonnaise sweet there? Serious question. I was just reading a thing about how Belgian mayonnaise is sour instead of sweet like, as the article put it, processed American crap.

I've never had sweet mayonnaise so that struck me as weird.

Quite a number of people call Miracle Whip Salad Dressing "mayonnaise" and these people probably wouldn't know the difference between real mayonnaise and marshmallow cream. Proper mayonnaise should have a tangy, mustard-y flavor and a slight, straw-like color.

--Patrick

Miracle Whip is sort of on the sweet side to me. It also has a vinegar tang to it. Real mayo is tangy, too (usually has some lemon juice in it along with the vinegar), but it doesn't taste sweet. I like olive oil mayo which has a different flavor than regular Hellmann's/Best Foods mayonnaise that I grew up using.

Mix mayo up with sriracha for something that has all the flavor of the sriracha but a bit less heat. Delicious... goes on just about anything you'd put hot sauce OR mayo on.

fade

Staff member
Huh. My son's friend's mom is like 20 feet tall but I never really thought anything of it other than it makes it really easy to talk over our shared fence. She just sent me an email and it had a picture of her in the signature wearing a WNBA uniform. Turns out she even has a Wikipedia page.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

That song is a scar, a reminder of what could have been. It's the chill that follows knowing how close you came to the end. Other people might hide from it, in an attempt to hide from the pain. But for me, that song will be a rallying cry. The scar reminds you that you are still alive. The scar reminds you of what has come since, and what still may be.

Dear lord, xfinitywifi is bad- no wait its good- bad-good-bad-good- GRAH!

On the plus side, I made a whole bunch of chocolate chip cookies and they are delicious! I know those two things have nothing to do with each other, its just that the thought of cookies drowns out my annoyance with Comcast.

Belgian mayonnaise is the way it's meant to be, and as you're describing. Dutch mayonnaise is a horrid sweetened inedible goop.
Has to do with the balance of eggs and oil, and partly egg or lemon (though even Belgian mayo with no lemon is still by far not as sweet as what those crazy Dutch put on their fries :p)

Never heard it compared to "American" mayo before - as far as I know you guys use the proper recipe :p

(and yeah, mayo is about as fat as you can get without resorting to literal chunks of lard...And actually, mayo has more fat than lard, so....)

Sometimes I forget that I'm an adult and I'm in charge of my own life. This is most prevelent when it comes to food. I'm craving guacamole SO BAD. And it just now occured to me, after a few hours of pining after guac, that I can for real just run to the store and get the stuff to make it. I don't have to ask my mum to buy the ingredients and beg my dad to make it. It's just weird that the thought doesn't occur to me that I can eat what I want....

I'm never going to be a good adult, am I? I've been on my own for YEARS and I still don't have the hang of this...

Anyone else struggle with this?

Last edited:

Cajungal

Staff member
Sometimes I forget that I'm an adult and I'm in charge of my own life. This is most prevelent when it comes to food. I'm craving guacamole SO BAD. And it just now occured to me, after a few hours of pining after guac, that I can for real just run to the stroe and get the stuff to make it. I don't have to ask my mum to buy the ingredients and beg my dad to make it. It's just weird that the thought doesn't occur to me that I can eat what I want....

I'm never going to be a good adult, am I? I've been on my own for YEARS and I still don't have the hang of this...

I often forget that I can travel. Then a 3-day weekend happens and I'm like, "Hey, New Orleans is about 2 hours away, and I own a car and have enough disposable income for gas money!"

I often forget that I can travel. Then a 3-day weekend happens and I'm like, "Hey, New Orleans is about 2 hours away, and I own a car and have enough disposable income for gas money!"
I'm still stuck and can't travel willey-nilley. I have a dog that I struggle to leave, and I don't like asking my parents to take him often - I know he's a menace most of the time. So, I'm not able to travel just yet, but someday, I'll be so excited when I can! :D

Sometimes I forget that I'm an adult and I'm in charge of my own life. This is most prevelent when it comes to food. I'm craving guacamole SO BAD. And it just now occured to me, after a few hours of pining after guac, that I can for real just run to the store and get the stuff to make it. I don't have to ask my mum to buy the ingredients and beg my dad to make it. It's just weird that the thought doesn't occur to me that I can eat what I want....

I had that too before remembering how much of a bitch making guacamole is.

I had that too before remembering how much of a bitch making guacamole is.
guac is easy, if you want it to be.

Smash avocados. Add salt and pepper. Eat. Seriously.

You can gussy it up by adding some lemon juice (or my personal preference, lime juice).
Next on the ingredients list should be tomato, onion, and cilantro (or even pre-made pico de gallo if you want to add all three)
Maybe throw in some peppers. But by now, you're talking about a decent investment in time.

But really, all that other stuff just gussies up the avocado flavor. Avocado salt and pepper is still a mighty fine guac all by itself.

Dammit, Gas, I know there's an immigration problem and all, but you still can't eat Mexicans. Why do we have to keep talking about this?