I like that. I like eating sweet things with soda. Makes the soda taste closer to what I'd rather it taste like, less sweet. Same reason I like a lot of fountain soda. It's usually fizzier and weaker than canned or bottled soda.

I go into a co-worker's office. He has an intern working for him this semester, she is kind of a shy girl that has not really fit in yet. But she is sitting across from his desk, laid back with her boots on his desk. I look down at her and said,

"I'm glad that you are finally comfortable in this position."

I just last night connected my PS3's Youtube channel to my Smartphone and I find it amazing.
I am aware that with REGULAR cable, I could manipulate the TV from my couch via a remote, but the abilitiy to manipulate the TV from my phone is still somehow mind blowing.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just last night connected my PS3's Youtube channel to my Smartphone and I find it amazing.
I am aware that with REGULAR cable, I could manipulate the TV from my couch via a remote, but the abilitiy to manipulate the TV from my phone is still somehow mind blowing.
I know the feeling. I have my computer hooked up to my television, in another room, via a 15' HDMI cable; so I use my smartphone combined with apps in order to control my computer. Using a VLC remote app, I have most basic controls, and I can open any media file on my computer. If I need to do something that isn't VLC, I can use a trackpad app for my phone, but that's a lot more awkward because it's not very good, but it's still pretty awesome to be able to control my computer from the other room, without having had to buy any sort of extra devices.

I though I'd end up using my wireless Xbox controller to play games on my couch more than I do, but my monitor appears larger sitting at my desk than my TV appears from my couch. Having the TV is great when friends are over, when I want to fold laundry while watching, or just want to flop on the couch, but for most gaming my monitor is still better.

fade

Staff member
I love that they use the theme from
Brisco County Jr for the Olympics. You didn't die in vain, brisco!

I go into a co-worker's office. He has an intern working for him this semester, she is kind of a shy girl that has not really fit in yet. But she is sitting across from his desk, laid back with her boots on his desk. I look down at her and said,

"I'm glad that you are finally comfortable in this position."
I first read that as "with her boobs on his desk."
I read it correctly, and was immediately intrigued, because, boots.

Zappit

Staff member
So, my younger brother had a grand mal seizure this morning, and has been in the hospital all day. He dislocated his shoulder, too, so now he's getting x-rays to see if the doctors successfully popped it back in. He'll be in a sling for about two weeks. Good news is that he should be able to come home today.

Let me tell you, that was scary as hell.

Zappit

Staff member
Well, good news and bad news. Good news, he bounced back quickly and mentally recovered just fine. Bad news, they over-corrected that shoulder, which is a thing that can happen apparently. That arm's going to be in a sling a minimum of six weeks instead of two.

Well, good news and bad news. Good news, he bounced back quickly and mentally recovered just fine. Bad news, they over-corrected that shoulder, which is a thing that can happen apparently. That arm's going to be in a sling a minimum of six weeks instead of two.
I've dislocated my shoulder approximately 16 times. Yeah, a lot of weird things can happen to add complications. He'll probably be fine eventually. He's just going to have to learn to do things one-handed for a bit.

It wasn't his dominant hand, I hope?

Zappit

Staff member
I've dislocated my shoulder approximately 16 times. Yeah, a lot of weird things can happen to add complications. He'll probably be fine eventually. He's just going to have to learn to do things one-handed for a bit.

It wasn't his dominant hand, I hope?
Nope. He's a lefty, and it's his right arm. His whole body is going to be in awful pain for a few days, though. It was the spasms from the seizure which popped the shoulder, not a fall or anything.

Nope. He's a lefty, and it's his right arm. His whole body is going to be in awful pain for a few days, though. It was the spasms from the seizure which popped the shoulder, not a fall or anything.
A friend of mine once had a seizure while in the mall. She was with her sister but the sister is kinda soft spoken, you know? So seizures are nothing for my friend...she has one at least once a week and most people with her know how to handle em.

However, this time an old man came up, insisted he was in military and knew what to do and tried to put his wallet in her mouth. He sister was trying to tell him 'no' but he was insistent that his 50 year old training help up.

Friend ended up with stitches all over her mouth and broken teeth from his money clip...not to mention a fracture leg and twisted knee from where he held her down.

Seizure are nasty but even worst when someone tries to 'help'.

Zappit

Staff member
We've been lucky, I guess. He's only had three, but they've all been grand mal. We very nearly lost him the first time, and they had to revive him on the ambulance. The second time, it was in a grocery store, and the folks there were very helpful, (in the right way) and this one, when we were all around.

We're hoping that once we get him to the orthopedic doctor, that six week estimate goes down.

GasBandit

Staff member
Saw the following on the Daily What this morning:

The National Science Foundation conducts a poll on some basic science facts every two years. This year's barn-burner was this question, "Does the Earth go around the sun, or does the sun go around the Earth?"

The funny thing is Americans actually fared better than Europeans. Only 66 percent of European Union residents answered that question correctly.

Submitted by: Unknown (via Metro)

What the shit is this hipster one-desk shit? Never have I been so glad to have my own office as I am at this moment.
"You can tell which seat is GasBandit's, it'll be the one with all the blankets hanging around it."

I get the idea, they want all the staff to feel like they're part of one big team rather than a bunch of little departments, but I supposed that depends on the people involved, of course.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
"You can tell which seat is GasBandit's, it'll be the one with all the blankets hanging around it."

I get the idea, they want all the staff to feel like they're part of one big team rather than a bunch of little departments, but I supposed that depends on the people involved, of course.

--Patrick
Yeah, you could fully expect me to pull a Les Nessman special on my part of the room.