No school today or tomorrow here in the 715.

And I mean ALL of the 715.

Because the Wind chills are around -40° - and I don't even have to use the C or F.

No school today or tomorrow here in the 715.

And I mean ALL of the 715.

Because the Wind chills are around -40° - and I don't even have to use the C or F.
Same here. Not real sure about tomorrow, but it's going to be colder than today so I'm guessing schools will be canceled. I don't mind it as much as the blowing snow we had over the weekend.
Friday I had to drive through white out conditions to get to Superior. Probably the scariest driving I've ever experienced. There is nothing worse than seeing an oncoming vehicle and all of a sudden a burst of wind whites everything out so can't even tell where the oncoming vehicle or the vehicle in front of you is at. No headlights, no tail lights, just a giant wall of bright white snow.
When I finally got home on Sunday the snow was still drifting, and they were even closing highways around here. Since I live on a rural dirt road, it of course wasn't plowed. So I got to drive at 40 mph busting through snowdrifts higher than my bumper hoping to god I had enough momentum to push through them and not get hung up on too much snow. Still no plows this morning, but at least I had a little bit of a path made.

Well, if you were in Michigan you probably got today off as well due to the road conditions, and tomorrow and Wednesday due to the -30F windchill.
I have a 75mi round trip to work. But does it get canceled? Of course not. 7" snow last night, 6" snow the night before, 3" the one before that. Takes up to 2x longer, but no clemency due to inclemency.

--Patrick

Psht, I'm in Taiwan, and we're getting Thursday and Friday off! And Monday through Wednesday off next week!

For Chinese New Year! :D

The blowing snow was the worst I've ever seen in Wisconsin, personally. Wind was so bad you were seeing significant drifting within the city limits.

I just purchased the 60 song compilation The Ink Spots Greatest Hits over residual guilt that I wake up each day to a bootlegged Maybe (dammit, Fallout), and I have discovered that almost every song start out the exact same way, and then becomes a new song. It's...well it's bizarre honestly.

Examples:

Either way, it was twelve bucks well spent.

Just got a private message today that I probably shouldn't go in to too much detail about but basically, the short film I did 5 years ago with a group of my friends- Sun Day- has inspired some people in the UK. I don't want to ruin what they're doing with it, so thus the lack of detail, but I am too giddy with excitement to contain myself. Knowing our art has inspired someone else's is just a really awesome feeling.

When I was a kid...

Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
The Batmobile lost its wheels
The Commissioner broke his leg!

I flipped out when the Joker sang it on B:tAS

When I was a kid...

Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
The Batmobile lost its wheels
The Commissioner broke his leg!

I flipped out when the Joker sang it on B:tAS

The version I heard as a kid was

Jingle Bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg!
The Batmobile lost its wheel
And the Joker got away! Hey!

figmentPez

Staff member
Have we ever declared an insect an endangered species? Not that these guys are anywhere close to that yet, but it's made me curious.
Yes, though I'm having trouble finding exact numbers or sources. One list has hundreds of insects that various groups have declared endangered, but not much specifics on who did that. Another list doesn't differentiate between threatened, endangered and several other terms, including just under consideration. Then there's the count that includes plants in the same number.

In any case, there are insects on the list, including other butterflies.

What kind of stuff did you do?
I liked making things with the real small rings. I did bracelets, necklaces, and some rings. My shaking got to the point that I couldn't really work with the small stuff any more, and I just kinda gave up on it. Do you do any chainmail work?

So apparently, my home town and the town where I spent my first four years as a constable has been featured in this Canadian Communities of Distinction video.

What they don't tell you is it's winter 11 months of the year (it feels like it). That you're more likely to find drunken "street people" as the town calls them or people from the reserves who come into town to do nothing but fortified wine and pass out in a playground slide in those playgrounds than actual children using them. One of the guys in the video is also a member of the family that owns most of the hotels in the town. They have...questionable...ties to some middle eastern concerns and are directly responsible for the drug trade in the town that services migrant oil and gas workers.

High Level is a fucking shit hole.

Best Buy and Future Shop are laying off nearly 1000 employees, almost a year after straight up closing several Best Buys, every store on the island including the one I had worked at but left when I sensed a change in the air.

What I don't understand is a bunch of the folks that I worked with went back to them, either through futureshop or best buy mobile. Other than needing a job because you couldn't find anything else, which is almost never the case here, I would never have put any faith in them again, and now that the same is happening, watching these people be surprised it baffles me.