fade

Staff member
Funny enough, there is a large nudist colony in SC. It's near my hometown, which is a stop sign, pop. 300.

Necronic

Staff member
HAHA Omg I just found out a friend of mine has herpes. Wonder if she googled it.

Also, I didn't want to put this in the epic win thread for obvious reasons, but I just interviewed for a pretty serious promotion. Even being offered an interview was a big deal. And I think I aced the interview. FML I really want this job, I have never been more nervous about something like this. If I get the job I will be posting it in the Epic Win thread.

My friend with herpes should probably choose a different thread...[DOUBLEPOST=1400717558,1400717509][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah, and for the Humans Kick Ass thing, you guys should read the intro to The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi. I won't describe it as that would ruin it, but its pretty fucking great.

GasBandit

Staff member
Random show thoughts from @showerthoughts

I'm still it from a game of tag 8 years ago.

"Supervision" sounds much cooler than it actually is.

Asking "Where are you?" is a recent thing. Before mobile phones, we had to know where someone was, within a few hundred feet, to talk to them.

What if the Egyptians didn't seriously revere cats, but rather did so jokingly, as we do on the internet now?

I wonder if I've bought the clothes I'm going to die in yet.

The first guy who heard a parrot speak must have freaked.

Fish that are caught and released are like the aquatic equivalent of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens.

Most of my clothes have been to countries that I have not.

Necronic

Staff member
Asking "Where are you" is only new if you are the caller. The receiver still would not know where they were calling from.

@WasabiPoptart Mentioned spelling bees in another thread. It reminded me that when I was a kid, my school had stopped spelling bees because it was unfair and risked making kids feel like they weren't smart, and discouraging them from things like reading.

Nevermind what mandatory intramurals made us unathletic kids feel like, or drama, or music...

Sheesh. I'm glad to know that spelling bees still happen. I would've so kicked ass.

Dave

Staff member
@WasabiPoptart Mentioned spelling bees in another thread. It reminded me that when I was a kid, my school had stopped spelling bees because it was unfair and risked making kids feel like they weren't smart, and discouraging them from things like reading.

Nevermind what mandatory intramurals made us unathletic kids feel like, or drama, or music...

Sheesh. I'm glad to know that spelling bees still happen. I would've so kicked ass.
I was in a spelling bee when I was in elementary school. I got to the finals in the district and failed on the word "liar" when I tried to spell it with an 'e'.

I was in a spelling bee when I was in elementary school. I got to the finals in the district and failed on the word "liar" when I tried to spell it with an 'e'.
I studied the word list and felt confident I knew how to spell every word except for one, and what were the odds I would get it?
Guess which one I got.
To this day I have not forgotten how to properly spell colonel.

--Patrick

I only remember having one spelling bee when I was in middle school. We weren't given a study sheet. The teacher just randomly picked words and if you missed the word, the next person got a new word. I got out on the first round. I don't remember what the word was. I just remember thinking that it was a crock that I got a hard word and the next person got to spell something easy.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have spelling bees in my schools (germany), but this one just jumped to the front of my mind as soon as one was mentioned:

The german version of that strip used "archaeopteryx" as the hard word, don't know why.

GasBandit

Staff member
Holy shit I have to get busy!
I just discovered another loophole that's been working in your favor ALL ALONG. The automatic post merger makes two posts 9 minutes apart still count only as one post. I really passed you months ago... I've just been robbed by the system!