fade

Staff member
Why are aliens always physically superior to humans in scifi? Why can't the alien be slightly weaker or lack some sense we find normal?

Why are aliens always physically superior to humans in scifi? Why can't the alien be slightly weaker or lack some sense we find normal?
I just love when alien technology ignores physics in movies. i.e. Impervious to all mechanical and chemical forces when applied by the military.

Bring back Alien Nation. The newcomers were stronger and more intelligent, but they also had weaknesses to things humans take for granted. Like salt water (highly acidic), MSG (poison), and chocolate (causes a heart attack).

(edit: Well, whaddaya know. FOX to make another attempt at Alien Nation reboot.)

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Bring back Alien Nation. The newcomers were stronger and more intelligent, but they also had weaknesses to things humans take for granted. Like salt water (highly acidic), MSG (poison), and chocolate (causes a heart attack).

(edit: Well, whaddaya know. FOX to make another attempt at Alien Nation reboot.)
There was District 9, too, which shared some creative staff. Which probably was clear from the similar themes and visuals.[DOUBLEPOST=1400248672,1400248355][/DOUBLEPOST]
What's that last one?

Yeah okay exceptions to any generalization. But in general the first thing that seems to happen is that Kirk gets held by the neck over a yawning chasm by some alien taunting him for his physical inferiority. Or all the other aliens aside from Crichton reading a bowl a room away.

There was District 9, too, which shared some creative staff. Which probably was clear from the similar themes and visuals.[DOUBLEPOST=1400248672,1400248355][/DOUBLEPOST]
What's that last one?

Yeah okay exceptions to any generalization. But in general the first thing that seems to happen is that Kirk gets held by the neck over a yawning chasm by some alien taunting him for his physical inferiority. Or all the other aliens aside from Crichton reading a bowl a room away.
This discussion reminded me of this tumblr post where humans are painted as the ultimate life form.

I had to go through about 600 saved posts for this!

http://lindsayetumbls.tumblr.com/post/79423543103/wearmanyhats-rionsanura-therobotmonster

fade

Staff member
Here's another one: Data was supposed to be this unmatched AI feat, yet the EMH seems superior to Data. I must've missed something.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's another one: Data was supposed to be this unmatched AI feat, yet the EMH seems superior to Data. I must've missed something.
Data was deliberately made more limited to better suit the comfort (and safety) of humans. Remember, his "brother" Lor came first, had emotions, ambitions, etc, and basically went all Khan Noonien-Singh and had to be disassembled. So then Dr Soong (no relation) made a "less perfect" android - Data.

Also, the emergent humanity of the EMH was an accident, whereas Data was a deliberate creation. In fact, wasn't there an episode where the EMH started to degrade rapidly because it wasn't designed to accumulate "life experience?" They had to do some wacky bullshit typical of the voyager series to fix him that involved copying him over a holographic maintenance program.

Dr. Soong went on to build an android copy of his wife which was so lifelike and perfect that nobody, not even she herself, could tell she was an android (except for Data, who detected that her physical precision in playing music was beyond the capabilities of a human).

an android copy of his wife which was so lifelike and perfect that nobody, not even she herself, could tell she was an android (except for Data, who detected that her physical precision in playing music was beyond the capabilities of a human).
Right. It was the fact that she was static that tipped him off. Every performance was exactly the same.

--Patrick

So yesterday I think I got a call from a republican group that was either against gay rights or for gay rights. I could not tell as the caller's reception was completely terrible, though weirdly enough I could hear is dog in the background better than him. Just an odd occurrence.