Because I didn't know when, or even if, we were coming though. Was pretty much a plan-less trip for the wife and I. I picked her up Thursday in Beaumont, drove to Galleria area in Houston, spent the night (shopping too), went to Galleria this morning, ended up in The Woodlands this afternoon (got out before crazy Journey/Steve Miller concert traffic), ended up at Super Target in Humble and grabbed a bite in Kingwood. We had lots of fun, my wife got to "open" the Disney Store in the Galleria this morning, got a key and everything as a souvenir. Tired, but trying to stay up to see what is up with the meteor shower tonight, might try to photography of it.

My Mom and Dad stayed a hotel near the convention center in Houston last night. The George R. Brown is hosting the Houston Comic Con. This was my Dad's first exposure to Cosplay...

"All the women were dressed like men, all the men were wearing skirts. I did not know what to think."

After further questioning, it turns out it was a family where all the men were wearing kilts, and the women were wearing normal jeans and t-shirts.

He even got to see someone painted blue with a unicorn and white wig...

As an 85 year old, this might be a little new to him.

My Mom and Dad stayed a hotel near the convention center in Houston last night. The George R. Brown is hosting the Houston Comic Con. This was my Dad's first exposure to Cosplay...

"All the women were dressed like men, all the men were wearing skirts. I did not know what to think."

After further questioning, it turns out it was a family where all the men were wearing kilts, and the women were wearing normal jeans and t-shirts.

He even got to see someone painted blue with a unicorn and white wig...

As an 85 year old, this might be a little new to him.
The hotel that hosts Anthrocon in Pittsburgh is also the hotel of choice for visiting MLB teams. Listening to the visiting team broadcasts when ballplayers meet furries is always a hoot.

fade

Staff member
Huh. I just realized I've lived in 3 different states, had four jobs, and visited 3 other countries since I joined this group.

fade

Staff member
I find it ironic that the same people who post the Stephen Fry quote about offense are usually the same people who post about things they find offensive.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've been asked to do an end-of-the-year slide show for our 5th grade bridge ceremony. It's so much fun looking back at all these picture albums the teachers kept. I'm not one to go back and look at pictures much usually, so it's nice to have a reason to do so.

GasBandit

Staff member
I find it ironic that the same people who post the Stephen Fry quote about offense are usually the same people who post about things they find offensive.
I find that a great many people unknowingly hate themselves, and will talk about behaviors/characteristics they dislike intensely... and if you are shrewd, you perceive they're describing themselves without realizing it.

can someone explain in easy words the differnce between irony and bad luck to me?
Irony: The opposite of what one would expect. Ie/ You weather forecaster fiance guarantees sun for the wedding...you get rain instead.

Bad luck: You pick a wedding day in AUgust becasue it's the nicest month and it rarely rains where you are during that time. It rains.

fade

Staff member
can someone explain in easy words the differnce between irony and bad luck to me?
Irony (n.): a word designed to cause people to argue over its meaning.

Seriously. By definition, irony requires an expectation, but expectation is pretty subjective. One could argue that the bride would expect out of all days it would be sunny on her wedding day, for example.[DOUBLEPOST=1401131808,1401131566][/DOUBLEPOST]
I find that a great many people unknowingly hate themselves, and will talk about behaviors/characteristics they dislike intensely... and if you are shrewd, you perceive they're describing themselves without realizing it.
So apparently I really am a polymath.

Well, that was a day and a half. Partied with family, ate delicious food, god a good amount of wasted, and my one cousin made an ass of himself per the ushe. Not a bad weekend.

Why do I have work tomorrow? Like, full time adult-style work? Aren't I just some snot-nosed kid?
Mine is worse, been off for 10 days now, got a message this morning from one of my managers, has asked if I knew my schedule had been changed and I was supposed to be in at 4:45am. I told him this was the first I had heard of it (it's a telephone conversion work by a contractor). Funny thing is, if he hadn't send the message, I would have gotten a call at 5am asking where I was.

Yeah, I gotta go in early. 3 hours earlier than normal... blegh.

I was asked today what was wrong with all the computers. They were all 24 hours off and showing it as the 27th. :eek:

3 day weekends are tough to recover from...

GasBandit

Staff member
Today I take the cat to the vet. This will be the first time I'm trying to put him in a carrier. I anticipate injury. I've got a pair of work gloves and I'm wondering if I should get my leather jacket out of storage.

Jeez, I wonder if that leather jacket even still fits me... its been years since I wore it.

Today I take the cat to the vet. This will be the first time I'm trying to put him in a carrier. I anticipate injury. I've got a pair of work gloves and I'm wondering if I should get my leather jacket out of storage.

Jeez, I wonder if that leather jacket even still fits me... its been years since I wore it.
Get the back of the neck, the way mother cats carry kittens. If you pick them up there, there's some kind of trigger that (usually) makes the cat stop fighting. I'm the only one who can put the cats in carriers in my house, and that's the only way I can do it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to stand my cat's carrier on the back end so I could drop him in rather than wrestle him into the front.
I had read that elsewhere too, that's what I ended up doing. I've had the carrier just sitting open by his food for over a week, and I put one of my old shirts in it that I worked up a good sweat in before doing so. Seems to have helped. He was a bit surprised to be dropped in, but was mostly well behaved after that. Halfway to the vet there was some plaintive meowing, but once there he was reluctant to come OUT of the carrier, and even treats would not entice him.

Fortunately I had the foresight to purchase a carrier that, with the lift of a lever and slide of a section, the entire top half comes off of. So the vets were able to check him out with little fuss (other than the predictable what-the-hell-are-you-doing-back-there reaowr-hiss cat reaction when they started messing with his catass), but after that he retreated back into the carrier on his own and was well behaved the entire trip home. I made sure he got extra treats during the ordeal, and one more when he got home.

So all in all, success! I might could have even done it without the gloves, but better safe than shredded.

Man, SO much more work than owning a dog. All you need to get a german shepherd anywhere is a leash and a choke chain, and the odd sternly voiced command.

GasBandit

Staff member
Glad it was better than anticipated, @GasBandit. You should probably expect some dirty looks from him for a day or two. He'll get over himself soon though.
Eh, he didn't seem all that put off. I gave him LOTS of treats.

He really doesn't hold a grudge.. he can't, because he can't abide being alone when there's someone else in the house. He's got to be there with them. Frequently either underfoot or in lap.

Eh, he didn't seem all that put off. I gave him LOTS of treats.

He really doesn't hold a grudge.. he can't, because he can't abide being alone when there's someone else in the house. He's got to be there with them. Frequently either underfoot or in lap.
Lucky you! My cat (and my parents cat) would give me the stink-eye for days after going to the vet.