GasBandit

Staff member
Pet jerky treats imported from China sicken 5600 dogs, 24 cats, and 3 people.

The reporter is bewildered, but you know what? I've smelled some dog treats that really made my mouth water. And I've been curious. There were a couple times I almost popped one just to see.

Of course, I'm also the halforumite who's probably the least repulsed by the concept of cannibalism, too, so YMMV.

Is a crib a good gift? Or is that a thing that the couple would buy together as a thing, you know?

Like is there sentimentality to a crib before the kid is born or is it just a thing you need?

If you're planning to buy a crib, I would let the parents-to-be know that you would like to do this for them. They might have a certain style or color they're looking at or maybe someone else has already offered/gotten them one.

I never experienced sentimentality with regards to the crib prior to either of my kids being born. We used the same one with both of them to save money.

The thing with cribs is that it's the equivalent to buying a couch. You need to make sure it matches everything around it. Maybe some people don't care, but a lot of times people make the perfect matching nursery for the first baby. :)

There are three considerations when buying a crib.

1) The family may have a certain look in mind when organizing the room (see @Jay and his elaborate setup, for instance). If you buy something that does not match, you run the risk of giving them a gift that they will feel compelled to accept even though they don't like it and it doesn't fit.

2) There are certain styles of cribs which have definite functionality. There are some kinds of cribs to outright avoid (drop-side cribs, for instance), but there are other cribs that have things like integrated changing tables, expandability as the child gets older, etc. If you get something that doesn't fit with the family's plan of how they want to raise the child, then you are tacitly forcing them to either refuse your gift or change their upbringing method.

3) There is always the chance that the baby may not make it to term. If so, the gift of a crib (or the knowledge that one is waiting) will no doubt be very awkward. Even worse, there is the chance that the crib may somehow be implicated in the future injury or even possibly death of the child, and the family may blame you (and your stupid crib!) for the baby's misfortune.

tl:dr; Discuss it with the family. Keep the receipt.

--Patrick

Or family had a crib that it shared with the 10 or so kids of my generation, then we shared it with the first couple of this generations' kids... then we learned that it was completely fucking dangerous and that it is a miracle that any of us survived that crib.

My grandmother bought the crib my husband and I picked out for Li'l Z. It's it kind that eventually converts in a twin bed. She's convinced she's not going to be around too much longer (granted she's 87, but in amazing health and both her parents lived to almost 100...), so she wanted our son to have a gift from her that would last him a long time. A crib is a great gift, but like everyone said above, check with the parents.

Met the guys who made Edge City and Lio today in Philly, it was nice. Also Terry Laban did Nukshuk Wolfsbreath: Hardboiled Shaman, to which I got a signed copy of.

fade

Staff member
Okay apple I like you, and lord knows I've stuck up for you during the dark times. But what 10 years for you to implement autodeleting podcasts?!? We have been asking for this since podcasts.

Okay apple I like you, and lord knows I've stuck up for you during the dark times. But what 10 years for you to implement autodeleting podcasts?!? We have been asking for this since podcasts.
Heh. I've had to delete and redownload the Podcasts app at least 2-3 times just to get it to properly display/play my podcasts. Finally seems to be ironed out now.
Maybe you can answer this question for me, though...do autodeleted podcasts just delete themselves from the device? Or do they also delete themselves from the computer once a sync happens? I want to know, but I don't want to find out by accidentally deleting a bunch of old podcasts that are no longer available.

--Patrick

I have nothing to do for another 40 minutes until my meeting at work. So, to waste time, I'm going to sit here, eating trail mix and watching Buffy. Ah, it's a good day!

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, looking at the blog entry for this infographic, it's basically a bunch of bullshit. Those aren't the top searches for each state, those are the states that supposedly google that search term the most. Basically they took a lot of embarassing searches, plugged them into Google trends, and then figured out which state had the most hits for that term.

And, checking the search terms myself, "do i have herpes?" doesn't have enough search results to correlate with location data. "Do I have Herpes?" comes back to California, and "do i have herpes" (with no question mark) comes back to Texas. Even then, there's less than 100 searches a month for that phrase.

Last edited:
While Pez just cleared a lot of things up, still.... thumb wrestling?
Agreed, I know myself to be a bit of an introvert but I think I'd remember people having casual conversation about thumb wrestling. Unless....they're talking about it specifically when I'm not there! WHATS WRONG WITH MY THUMBS INTERNET THUMB WRESTLERS?!