Dave

Staff member
I disagree to an extent. Streaming was great before Netflix was successful at it. So much so that all the greedy fuckers said, “We could do that!” Then they pulled their IP - which they were making money from - and left Netflix high & dry. So Netflix started making original programming and was successful at it. The other streaming services said, “We could do that!

While you are correct in your assessment that a lot of IP original content sucks and is spread so widely that pirating is the only thing that makes sense, it all circles back to when there was one singular streaming platform. It was simple, it was user friendly, and it cut down piracy at levels they never anticipated. Then greed happened and now piracy is higher than ever. Because, you know, they can do that!

figmentPez

Staff member
"Human sacrifice" is trending on Twitter. Shockingly it's not another round of right-wing propaganda. Instead it's because of a track name from Childish Gambino's new album.

Hot take: streaming was better when it was just offering a place to watch reruns of stuff. When original content started becoming the norm, that's when it got out of control.
I do enjoy new content but I would like better ways to filter the offerings. It would be nice to have a re-run filter.

Wish list across platforms:
Sort by imdb/RT
Spoken Language
Studio/writer/director filters
I would also like to be able to x out a show/movie and have it never show up again

Streaming became shit when too many roles in the model were once again in the hands of far too many far too big companies. Studios, distributors, etc should not be all under control of the same company.

Dave

Staff member
It's weird how sometimes things bring back childhood memories. I mean, I didn't actually forget the event happened, but it's been so long that I've thought about it that there's not very much difference between the two. I was reminded because of this scene from Man of Steel that YouTube today decided I needed to see.

The actual event was that a school bus from my school did the exact same thing, plunged 25 or so feet down, and landed upside down in the creek. I never knew if the kids who died - one of whom was a good friend of mine - died from the fall or drowned.

It's weird how sometimes things bring back childhood memories. I mean, I didn't actually forget the event happened, but it's been so long that I've thought about it that there's not very much difference between the two. I was reminded because of this scene from Man of Steel that YouTube today decided I needed to see.

The actual event was that a school bus from my school did the exact same thing, plunged 25 or so feet down, and landed upside down in the creek. I never knew if the kids who died - one of whom was a good friend of mine - died from the fall or drowned.

Quite likely trauma from the crash. That's awful. Poor kids.

Have you seen the Chowchilla documentary?

We were on our way back home from visiting my mom last night, and I made everyone listen to Mitch Hedberg's album Mitch All Together because I didn't think my son had heard him before. My wife rolled her eyes a little but also giggled in spots so no harm done, I guess. When it was done, my son (who is 14 now) was insistent that we not just leave the air empty because driving is <iam14andthisisdeep>boooringgg</iam14andthisisdeep>, so I put something on that was situationally relevant, that I know my wife likes, but that my son probably hasn't heard -- Jerry Reed's "Eastbound and Down."

The song hasn't even gotten through the intro stanza (it's just finishing up "...just watch ol' Bandit run"), and my nav interrupts the song with, "Speed trap reported ahead" and me and my wife just bust out laughing while my son is like, "...what?"

--Patrick

I just booked a campground for 1 night at Graves Island Provincial Park. It's in East Chester, NS.

And I'm gonna bike there and back this weekend. It's about 3 and a half hours to bike from the bus terminal via the trails.

I actually have some camping gear that I bought from Decathalon years ago, but never used. I need to buy a sleeping back, as well, but aside from that, I think I have everything I need. I figured, if I'm going to bikepack across PEI, I should probably practice camping at least a few times. I set up the tent in my living room earlier tonight and it's pretty easy to put up. Ruff was kind enough to inspect the tent, too, as pictured below. It's a 1-2 person tent, so it's light enough I can strap it to the back of my bike.

So, I'll bike up on Sunday, stay overnight, and bike back Monday, since I have it off. Good way to spend my birthday, too, I'd say. I haven't camped since high school, so this should be an experience.

Bike to Graves Island.JPG
Ruff Tent.jpg

I just booked a campground for 1 night at Graves Island Provincial Park. It's in East Chester, NS.

And I'm gonna bike there and back this weekend. It's about 3 and a half hours to bike from the bus terminal via the trails.

I actually have some camping gear that I bought from Decathalon years ago, but never used. I need to buy a sleeping back, as well, but aside from that, I think I have everything I need. I figured, if I'm going to bikepack across PEI, I should probably practice camping at least a few times. I set up the tent in my living room earlier tonight and it's pretty easy to put up. Ruff was kind enough to inspect the tent, too, as pictured below. It's a 1-2 person tent, so it's light enough I can strap it to the back of my bike.

So, I'll bike up on Sunday, stay overnight, and bike back Monday, since I have it off. Good way to spend my birthday, too, I'd say. I haven't camped since high school, so this should be an experience.

View attachment 48137View attachment 48138
Way to go! I can't wait to hear how it turned out.

View attachment 48137View attachment 48138
Sounds like a great adventure! I'm a bit jealous. Hope you have a great time. How are you planning for water at PEI?

I've heard it said that's the reason things are headed in this direction, because existing contracts were drawn up prior to streaming, meaning that residuals don't trigger because there is no precedent.

--Patrick

The abbreviation NB comes from the Latin nota bene, and basically means "note".

When I was a wee lad in secondary school, one day in class our math teacher was writing something on the board, and then added an "NB" to the side to note certain exceptions to what he was writing. On a whim, he asked the class, "Do you guys know what NB stands for?"

And one girl replied, "no bombardment."

Since that day, I have never been able to see the abbreviation NB and not mentally think to myself, "no bombardment."

Side note, I still remember the name of this girl, so I just looked her up on the book of faces, and holy mother of all that is holy and motherly, she grew up to become a supermodel.
Is she in any way interested in language and translations by any chance?

Dave

Staff member
Side note, I still remember the name of this girl, so I just looked her up on the book of faces, and holy mother of all that is holy and motherly, she grew up to become a supermodel.
I don’t believe you without photographic evidence.

Not sure yet. I might buy a filtration bottle. I imagine there will be plenty of places where I can refill, too, like in small towns or restaurants.
Would a small pocket rocket stove make sense? You can boil water on it? It takes up very little room in a back pack.

That’s what we use when we go back country camping.