The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

The first Guinness I ever had was at a pub in Killarney, but it's been over 20 years now, so I couldn't tell you the difference. (I think I was more impressed they served a 16 year old without asking for ID.) It must have been good considering it's still my beer of choice.

Guinness *is* better in Ireland. Everyone told me and my wife so, before we went on our honeymoon, but we scoffed at the idea. We were surprised to find out that it's true. A study even confirms it. I found Guinness in Ireland creamier, less bitter, and with a 'fluffier' mouth feel than US Guinness.
That's exactly how it felt to me too! Creamier and less biter.

The first Guinness I ever had was at a pub in Killarney, but it's been over 20 years now, so I couldn't tell you the difference. (I think I was more impressed they served a 16 year old without asking for ID.) It must have been good considering it's still my beer of choice.
I actually never liked beer as a youth. Once I started playing Irish music in sessions, I found that a lot of pubs 'pay' the participants in free beer (sometimes one, sometimes as much as you can drink). So, if I wanted to get "paid" for playing tunes at sessions, I had to learn to like beer. I didn't develop a taste for Guinness until my early 30's. After that, it was all downhill, and now I like a lot of different beers.

Remember how I mentioned I got a bonus a few posts back for the software we sold to Comcast?

My company has also implemented a "Management Incentive Bonus" this year, the money for which mysteriously showed up my bank account this weekend without warning or fanfare. I hadda call my boss to make sure it wasn't some kind of mistake. At which point he went "oh, I forgot to send the the incentive bonus letter" lol :D

I guess I have no excuse now to keep me from getting a water softening system installed in the house, which we sorely need.

Last edited:
Every time I see "Benny Hinn," I think someone has just misspelled "Benny Hill," and so the video is never what I expect.

--Patrick

I broke all of those so called parenting rules and just co-slept. It really cut down on all the middle of the night screaming. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I broke all of those so called parenting rules and just co-slept. It really cut down on all the middle of the night screaming. :p
I thought the arguments against co-sleeping were primarily about infant safety. Given the age of your kids, I think it less likely you'd roll over and smother one of them.

fade

Staff member
We used the Babywise method which worked really well for both our kids. Basically you put your kid down to sleep, and leave them alone. That's really it. If all your baby's needs are satisfied, there's nothing wrong with letting them cry it out. After a few weeks, they stop doing it and go right to sleep. Takes turning off the instinctual urge to go find out what's wrong. Some people claim that it's cruel, and that you're abandoning your kid when they're crying for you, but I disagree. You're giving your kid what it needs right then: sleep. There are plenty of hours to cuddle and bond.

We used the Babywise method which worked really well for both our kids. Basically you put your kid down to sleep, and leave them alone. That's really it. If all your baby's needs are satisfied, there's nothing wrong with letting them cry it out. After a few weeks, they stop doing it and go right to sleep. Takes turning off the instinctual urge to go find out what's wrong. Some people claim that it's cruel, and that you're abandoning your kid when they're crying for you, but I disagree. You're giving your kid what it needs right then: sleep. There are plenty of hours to cuddle and bond.
We did/do something similar. It's basically put them in bed. Let them cry for a minute. Go reassure them. Let them cry 3 minutes. Go reassure them. Let them cry 6 minutes. etc. They usually were asleep or quiet by the third round. Now, they don't really cry at all when going to bed.[DOUBLEPOST=1495130405,1495130211][/DOUBLEPOST]
My wife slept with both of our girls for at least their first 4 weeks of life.