The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Dave

Staff member
Dave has now entered the 21st century, kicking and screaming. Before I say why I have to give a shout-out to @Emrys who tried to help me do this earlier.

I have an iPhone. I was working one day and a tech alert email came through about an iPhone SE that was on sale for a limited time (think woot for tech) for $150 or so. I jumped on it. Today being the 1st of the month I got paid so I turned it on. Bam. Dave's got a cell phone now.

I gave the shout out to the Weasel Queen because she gave me an old phone she wasn't using, which was amazingly nice. But because it was an old phone it didn't have things like apps or anything, so it went largely unused. I got rid of it because I couldn't see paying $40 a month for nothing more than a paperweight. I think I used it a grand total of 3 times to call or text.

Well, the iPhone has all the apps I want, has a greater storage (32 GB), and now I don't have to carry around my iPad and worry about wi-fi hotspots. Also, with automatic payments my plan is only $25 for unlimited talk/text and 5 GB data per month. More than enough for less than I was paying.

Dave has a phone. Now get off my lawn.

Dave

Staff member
No more bifocals. I got contacts and readers. Bifocals messed with my Vive gaming as it was difficult to focus right.

"Not the ones Dave has had for years that he made out of mammoth hide he tanned himself while glaciers still covered...."

Too far?
Not far enough. When the first primordial aquatic creature was evolving lungs in order to climb out of the sea for the first time, Dave was there to club it over the head then skin it to make gloves.

It's estimated that this pair of gloves set back the evolution of Earth's fauna by approximately a million years.

Dave

Staff member
For those who don't know, an iPhone SE is basically an iPhone 6s (with the 12MP iPhone 6s-quality camera) but all crammed under an iPhone 5s display (which is why it doesn't have the fancy push-hard-on-the-screen tech).
...so welcome to 2015, @Dave!

--Patrick
Yup. But...

1. It's a smart phone.
  2. It was still 50% cheaper than you could buy it anywhere else.
  3. No plan came with it so I could choose my own.
  4. No credit check - after losing a house to foreclosure these things matter.
So you can make fun of me all you want, but it was the right tech for me at the time.

Yup. But...

1. It's a smart phone.
So you can make fun of me all you want, but it was the right tech for me at the time.
Which carrier? We have Verizon and it's quite silly how much they charge for two lines with the absolute smallest data plan.

fade

Staff member
Yup. But...

1. It's a smart phone.
I don't have any problem with it. I had a 5 up until I recently got an android. To be honest, I still think the 5 year old iPhone 5 was superior in many ways to the brand new Samsung Galaxy.

Just got the confirmation call from the company that takes care of the vetting process for them, but I will be starting my first ever full-time job on Monday morning at the Rolling Hills Nut Company under my brother's friend's maintenance team! :D
This is great news! And think of all the experience you have dealing with nuts from Halforums!

fade

Staff member
Just got the confirmation call from the company that takes care of the vetting process for them, but I will be starting my first ever full-time job on Monday morning at the Rolling Hills Nut Company under my brother's friend's maintenance team! :D
What does that make us? Absolutely nothing, Fade, which is what you are about to become.

Dave

Staff member