[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Blindspot had a strong first season, then the second season was kind of dumb, and the third we stopped watching after like 20 minutes.

Thor: Ragnarok is definitely my favorite Thor movie. Wish Marvel/Disney had been willing to go nuts like this through the whole trilogy.

Only complaint is how a couple jokes derailed sincere scenes, but I expect that at this point with MCU. Otherwise I had a blast. This is the first MCU movies where I want the score.

GasBandit

Staff member
Thor: Ragnarok is definitely my favorite Thor movie. Wish Marvel/Disney had been willing to go nuts like this through the whole trilogy.

Only complaint is how a couple jokes derailed sincere scenes, but I expect that at this point with MCU. Otherwise I had a blast. This is the first MCU movies where I want the score.
ANUS

This probably goes w/o saying, but Thor:Rag > JL? My wife and I are going to one of them tomorrow, and my vote is Thor, but she really, really liked WW.

From what I understand, if she really liked Wonder Woman,she shouldn't see Justice League.

Meanwhile, Thor is fun. Go see Thor.

fade

Staff member
Thor Ragnarok

All I know is I just saw a two hour movie about Cate Blanchett's hips with some side plot about a space carpenter who loses his hammer I think. She's so hot, she's making me sexist.

Thor Ragnarok

All I know is I just saw a two hour movie about Cate Blanchett's hips with some side plot about a space carpenter who loses his hammer I think. She's so hot, she's making me sexist.
I get you. I've had a crush on her since Fellowship of the Ring.

Rewatched Airheads, outside of Chaz and Kayla's LEGITIMATELY toxic relationship, it was a fun movie...seriously, those two would end up killing each other.

We watched Thor on Friday (should have been Thorsday). My favorite Thor movie thus far (it at least ties with the first). Goldblum is so good. I didn't even realize that Hela was Blanchett - wow! There was some poor direction at times, IMO, but overall it was a fun movie.

fade

Staff member
In all seriousness, the movie got a bit too jokey at times. I really groaned at the predictable
Banner faceplant on the Rainbow Bridge...that was poor timing in the middle of a battle I thought

Then again, the theater went nuts for that gag, so maybe it's just me.

In all seriousness, the movie got a bit too jokey at times. I really groaned at the predictable
Banner faceplant on the Rainbow Bridge...that was poor timing in the middle of a battle I thought

I laughed, but I think it would have been better if he came down as Hulk and pulverized the pup. I also wanted to see more Heimdall.[DOUBLEPOST=1511189032,1511188658][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this weekend we watched Hawkeye team up with Scarlett Witch to solve the murder of a girl in Wyoming. The Punisher was in the movie too, but I don't want to spoil his role.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/

The movie was okay.

Not just you. I predicted the joke because of the tone of the movie so far, but I was really hoping they wouldn't go for it since everyone else was allowed to be badass by that point.

Dave

Staff member
Again, I thought the movie was trying too hard to be jokey and somethings I just could not get over. Like Korg's voice and the bullshit they did to the Planet Hulk source material.

Again, I thought the movie was trying too hard to be jokey and somethings I just could not get over. Like Korg's voice and the bullshit they did to the Planet Hulk source material.
It was certainly campy at times, but it's all silly anyway, right? Big green monster fighting the god of thunder. Even the all serious Watchmen is still kind of silly.
With the exception of Gollum in LotR, I have a hard time taking CGI characters seriously. It's all a bit Jar-jar Binks. So, if they took a bit more of a serious tone with the Hulk or Hela then I think it would've fallen even more flat or worse it would've gone grim.

But, we all don't have to like everything equally. :)

fade

Staff member
I'm itching for a solo Hulk movie that addresses the dissociative identity disorder stuff. I think the pump is primed enough now to give us a movie with green, grey, and professor Hulk. The villain could be Maestro or Devil Hulk or something. Even Rulk.

I'm itching for a solo Hulk movie that addresses the dissociative identity disorder stuff. I think the pump is primed enough now to give us a movie with green, grey, and professor Hulk. The villain could be Maestro or Devil Hulk or something. Even Rulk.
Won't happen. Universal still owns the rights to more Hulk solo movies and for some reason, they won't budge.

I like that stuff in the books for sure. Perhaps it could be a subplot of a future film. I think Ruffalo is looking a bit too old to be doing these kind of flicks.

An animated solo Hulk film would be cool though.

Won't happen. Universal still owns the rights to more Hulk solo movies and for some reason, they won't budge.
I think it's just distribution rights, which is why Incredible Hulk was a Marvel Studios production, but they haven't wanted to make once since Disney bought them right before Avengers.

fade

Staff member
I like that stuff in the books for sure. Perhaps it could be a subplot of a future film. I think Ruffalo is looking a bit too old to be doing these kind of flicks.

An animated solo Hulk film would be cool though.
Yeah, it shouldn't be the main plot, for sure. That's why I suggested Maestro or Rulk. Maestro could do his villain thing, and then we learn he is Banner, and that opens the door to the multiple Hulks.

I just finished watching Grave of the Fireflies and now I am all depressed :(
Hylian: Depressed maybe, but satisfied with such a phenomenal film.
It most definitely was a phenomenal movie and I would watch again in a heart beat.
That's kind of my problem with Grave of the Fireflies. The whole movie was basically made in response to the growing youth crime rate in 80's Japan, with the entire message being "This stuff happened all the time to your parents/grandparents during the war and after. They lived through this and made our country better because of those hardships. Be thankful you don't have to live like they did and stop fucking things up, assholes." That was what the entire ending sequence was about. People rave about this movie and I can't get past the shallow job they did.
Grave of the Fireflies

I'm not going to spoiler mark anything. It's been out for nearly three decades, you've heard of it and either watched it, avoided it, or didn't care to find it. It's a tragedy in the Shakespearean sense.

I don't know what to say. I suppose I built this up due to all the online reviews, but, in the end, while it was a good movie, it didn't punch me the way I expected it to, given what people said about it, the subject matter, and my own experience as a father - wondering how my children would fair should Raelyn and I be unable to care for them, etc.

It wasn't an enjoyable film, per se, but it wasn't unenjoyable. It wasn't shocking - I think they really, really dialed it back and prepared the viewer with cues and clues so nothing was sudden, and you understood what was going to happen before it happened. Be aware that I'm not one to pick up on most movie clues, so they made everything super-obvious.

I was confused with the side by side presentation of the ghost and boy at first, but it worked out ok in my brain before the end of the movie.

I'm inclined to wonder if @AshburnerX isn't right, and that the point wasn't anti war, anti american, or even anti aunt (representing callousness of humans during times of suffering - recurring theme in movie, not just the aunt) - perhaps the point was merely to educate a generation regarding the deprivations of their ancestors. They didn't even bother to discuss, let alone show, the atomic bombs.

Maybe it's a cultural touchstone - there were no apologies when people screwed up, when characters cried they weren't comforted nor sought comfort - instead others gave way to allow them space and time to grieve privately (almost with a recognition of shame?). In the face of terrible circumstances everyone was expected to be stoic.

So, I don't know. Maybe as it sits in my brain and percolates something more interesting will occur to me about it, but until then it feels like it is perhaps a little overrated.