[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

It was nice to have an MCU conclusion where nobody died, not even the villain.
There was no heavy Uncle Ben story either. Happy movie.

I think there will be plenty of dark shit for the Avengers when they face Thanos. At least two dead Avengers and a Guardian, I'm sure.

Vision is dying. That much seems obvious, now if he comes back or not we'll have to see.
...OH-the character, right right right, fuck I google searched the actor to see if he was okay.

Also on the agreed consensus that Thor:Ragnarok was a hoot and a holler, bit odd how its also got some Planet Hulk in there-BUT-still good. KIND OF confused where Beta Ray Bill was though.

...OH-the character, right right right, fuck I google searched the actor to see if he was okay.

Also on the agreed consensus that Thor:Ragnarok was a hoot and a holler, bit odd how its also got some Planet Hulk in there-BUT-still good. KIND OF confused where Beta Ray Bill was though.
No Beta Ray? :( He was the first thought I had when I saw the Planet Hulk stuff in the trailer.

YEAH-sorry about that, his head's on this giant Sakaar building deally, but he ain't in it. Really hoping he shows up in a later sequel, the weird Thor sidekick none of us asked for but none of us want gone...would calling him a sidekick be apropos? Legacy character? I dunno.

GasBandit

Staff member
Let me just be the voice of mainstream sanity here and point out that Beta Ray Bill would have chased DROVES of people out of the theater, shaking their heads and saying, "See, THIS is why I always say comic books are bullshit. I mean, Ok, I was able to deal with the talking raccoon, but come on. A horse-Thor?"

The MCU is already full, and given

Thor's breakup and new love interest in Ragnorak

I suspect they'd rather go down that path than adding Beta Ray Bill. I think the new character added in Ragnarok is going to be recurring.

Let me just be the voice of mainstream sanity here and point out that Beta Ray Bill would have chased DROVES of people out of the theater, shaking their heads and saying, "See, THIS is why I always say comic books are bullshit. I mean, Ok, I was able to deal with the talking raccoon, but come on. A horse-Thor?"
Not if they had the characters react that way in the audience's stead. Have Thor see Bill, then look back at the others with a "is anyone else seeing this?" expression, some jokes about horse versions of other characters. Keep it insincere and self-deprecating and people will accept it.

That said, there are probably more than enough characters in the movie already. I'll see for myself on Sunday.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not if they had the characters react that way in the audience's stead. Have Thor see Bill, then look back at the others with a "is anyone else seeing this?" expression, some jokes about horse versions of other characters. Keep it insincere and self-deprecating and people will accept it.

That said, there are probably more than enough characters in the movie already. I'll see for myself on Sunday.
One thing I can tell you, when the Beta Ray Bill episode came up in A:EMH, I literally said out loud "you gotta be shitting me. Who came up with this?" and nearly threw something at the TV.

Dave

Staff member
Just got back from Thor. Can't say I enjoyed it as much as you all. I'm still processing, but I hate the way they fucked up Planet Hulk. I hated the voice of Korg. The movie tried too hard to be "cute" and some of it was off-putting and stupid.

I can't say I am a huge fan. Maybe on rewatch it'll be better.

Thor: Ragnarok

I liked it a lot, it was right up my alley. It's the most overtly comedic of all the MCU films so far (even beating the GotG movies), and I'd say most or even all of the jokes landed for me. There were also quite a few touching moments, though I think their impact was slightly lessened by the overall comic tone of the film. The fights were exciting, the storyline was interesting, and the continuity and references (both with the MCU and with the comics) were lots of fun to spot.

One thing I think was a slight pity, though, was how the trailers and marketing spoiled Hulk's appearance. Thor ending up on
Sakaar
would've been a delicious hint for what's about to happen, for fans of the comics. And for the people who don't know about it, seeing the Hulk appear would've been an awesome surprise.

Overall, very happy with this film, I like it much better than the previous two Thor movies, and it may even be one of my favorites overall in the MCU.

Last edited:
Unless/Until Universal wakes up and tries to pull a Sony ala Spider-man, take your Hulk *not the focus 'wink' * movies where you can get them.

Saw Thor Ragnarok this morning, enjoyed it immensely. Good combination of comedy and action, setting up the connections much more strongly for the GotG to be brought into Infinity.

Spider-Man Homecoming

That moment... The big reveal moment, you know the one. The one so good I won't spoil it here even though everyone's already seen it.

I did not see that coming, and everything that followed turned what was already a pretty good movie into a fucking great one.

Spider-Man Homecoming

That moment... The big reveal moment, you know the one. The one so good I won't spoil it here even though everyone's already seen it.

I did not see that coming, and everything that followed turned what was already a pretty good movie into a fucking great one.
I've seen it and I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, unless you mean

Vulture being Liz's dad

Then I do.

I just don't share your enthusiasm. I liked it, I just didn't think that was a huuuuuge deal.

I KINDA saw it coming...but only because the bartender at the theater told me there was gonna be a twist. ALSO-the Macguffin's bar in AMC theaters is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Spider-Man Homecoming

a-HEM.

--Patrick

One thing I think was a slight pity, though, was how the trailers and marketing spoiled Hulk's appearance. Thor ending up on
Sakaar
would've been a delicious hint for what's about to happen, for fans of the comics. And for the people who don't know about Sakaar, seeing the Hulk appear would've been an awesome surprise.
That would have been cool but while it is still possible to keep cameo's under wraps I don't think you could have kept Mark Ruffalo's prescence in this movie from being spoiled with how much he would have been on set. Although if there is a single character being in the movie that I wished could have blindsided me in the cinema it's Spider-Man in Civil War.

Also is there is a reason you've spoilered Sakaar the first time you mentioned it only to have it unspoilered in the very next sentence? :confused:

Thor

Boy did Thor's supporting cast get the heave-ho pretty unspectacularly, with Sif not even appearing. Fuck off Baldur and the warriors three. Get thee asses out of the MCU betwixtilly.

Other than the intro scenes with Thor and Loki on Earth and the insanely paced introduction to Hela, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, a comedy.

Thor: Loki, I know you're dad. WHERE DAD!

Loki: Earth!

Dr. Strange: I know your dad.

Odin: Your sister sucks. Also, I'm dead. /dies

Hela: Sup, I'm de bes.

Cut scene to Sakaar.

Total time taken, 34 seconds.

GasBandit

Staff member
Thor

Boy did Thor's supporting cast get the heave-ho pretty unspectacularly, with Sif not even appearing. Fuck off Baldur and the warriors three. Get thee asses out of the MCU betwixtilly.

Other than the intro scenes with Thor and Loki on Earth and the insanely paced introduction to Hela, I really enjoyed the movie for what it was, a comedy.

Thor: Loki, I know you're dad. WHERE DAD!

Loki: Earth!

Dr. Strange: I know your dad.

Odin: Your sister sucks. Also, I'm dead. /dies

Hela: Sup, I'm de bes.

Cut scene to Sakaar.

Total time taken, 34 seconds.
Sif -

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...der-Blindspot-Agents-of-SHIELD-Warriors-Three

Apparently cut due to a scheduling conflict with Jaime Alexander shooting Blindspot (wtf is Blindspot) in Australia at the time.

fade

Staff member
Blindspot is her show where she comes to inside a duffle bag in times square covered in tattoos with convenient amnesia. It's pretty popular.

Maybe, but more likely any roles she might have filled were simply transferred to another character.
Huh... makes me wonder if Sif was meant to be the female lead in this movie, and when the actress wasn't available, Valkyrie was created to replace her.

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh... makes me wonder if Sif was meant to be the female lead in this movie, and when the actress wasn't available, Valkyrie was created to replace her.
That was my thought as well.

Blindspot is her show where she comes to inside a duffle bag in times square covered in tattoos with convenient amnesia. It's pretty popular.
I literally never heard of it until today.

Granted, I don't watch much network TV, but still.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/thorsday-valentines-edition

Thor has had a number of love interests in the comics, including Sif, Jane Foster (repeatedly - he keeps circling back around to her in the comics), a valkyrie named Brunnhilde, and a few others.

So the valkyrie love angle is comic cannon, and a sif love angle is comic canon, and honestly I think they could have gone either way with this movie.

So yes, they could have gone either way. I only bring up the love angle, despite it not appearing strongly in this movie, because they very clearly broke up Thor and Jane, and perhaps that's incidental (didn't want to try to involve her in the story), but it's likely because they wanted to move forward with another love interest.

With this, though, they get to "test" another character/actress and find out if one or the other got more of a reaction from the audience.

But who knows, it's entirely possible they would have introduced her anyway, even if Sif was available, because they might be planning a love triangle in the future - always an audience favorite.

GasBandit

Staff member
I seem to recall reading something about Natalie Portman being "done" with Marvel (she didn't show up in Avengers:Age of Ultron either), so I think the Jane Foster breakup might have been more a product of casting constraints than writer desires. Much like Sif's absence/transmutation into the Valkyrie.