[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Diablo or "lil' Scotty Eastwood thinks he can phone in a western"

This movie could have been good if pops was in it or had a hand but unfortunately it ends up being kind of a mess.

Basically this guy's wife gets kidnapped and he has to go rescue her. Except there's a twist or two along the way! Also Danny Glover either owed someone a favor or really needed a paycheck because he shows up in it for like 8 minutes.

It's just so slow and so lacking of any real action. Like he catches up to one of the kidnappers who had been shot and is just taking potshots at the main guy from far away. So lil Eastwood sneaks up on him and kicks him and it's basically done.

Lots of overhead shots of the landscape and stuff fill the time between his random encounters. Out of 90 minutes I'd bet maybe a solid 10 are devoted to just aerial shots of him riding a horse.

Spoilers!
So there's a twist which I don't hate but hate how they did it. During the course of the film you get hints at Eastwood not being that great of a guy and having a real dark past. It occurred to me that they don't give you any back story on why a random band of dudes kidnapped his wife. I was actually excited that my hunch of him being the actual bad guy was true but they went about it in a weird and dumb way. They full on Tyler Durden it and make it a split personality thing. Turns out he keeps kidnapping women to be his "wife" and killing them later. The kidnappers turned out to be the family of the wife trying to rescue her.

It would have worked a lot better if they just simplified it. They just needed to give little hints here and there that he was evil. Put him in a few morally gray areas where you still feel justified in his actions because he's being presented as a good guy. Like the first "kidnapper" he meets is wounded and going to die anyway. So maybe the guy asks for a quick death but we leave him to die in the cold because we believe him to be bad. Things like that. Don't muddy it with multiple personality stuff or him being haunted by what he did in the war.

4/10 honestly. It felt lazy and low production value. The acting wasn't all there. It was more complicated to add debth when it didn't need that. It feels like it's trying to channel some Man with No Name stuff but doesn't hit the mark.

The best part is that he tries to give this little Indian kid a rifle and the adults call him crazy and drive him off which is how one should react to someone trying to give their kid a gun.

Rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2, and really glad I did. I was too hard on it before because it wasn't laughs-a-minute and because some of the jokes were meh, but I think the movie I was looking to see back in May ended up being Thor: Ragnarok. This was a lot more emotionally resonant than I was ready to accept it as the first time.

Hoping to have a similar change in opinion with Spider-man: Homecoming, which I thought was a good movie I just wasn't in the mood for when I first watched it.

Coco

DAMN that was good, just came to a damn head to the third act. Now it has SOME things in common with the "Book of Life", as well as some of the architecture looking STRAIGHT out of Grim Fandango, but it admittedly trumps both in the drama department with its themes of family and memory.

Only concrete criticisms I have are that Miguel's narration in the first act felt a bit forced, and I felt the bulk of the Rivera family could've had more fleshed out .

ALSO...did they HAVE to make the family's last name Rivera? Bad enough people thought this would be a Book of Life rip off, BUT EL TIGRE AS WELL? Any other Jorge Gutierrez series to add?

BUT-still good.

Edit:...when did I make a pu-OOOOOOOOOOOOOH my god I see it now, that was by accident damn that's funny.

Last edited:
The Disaster Artist: Half the reason to see this is to witness what went on behind the scenes of The Room. The other half is to watch James Franco be Tommy Wiseau and own the role. While the movie is probably more sympathetic to Wiseau than he deserves, it'd feel mean-spirited to snipe at him in the process of it. I misinterpreted the finale as being more of this softening, but after talking with my wife, I realize this movie was being much more clever than that.

The opening premiere for The Room probably wasn't as jovial as depicted here, but if you look at how The Disaster Artist portrays that night--first the audience is put off by the movie, then they're amused, Wiseau is bitter, but as audience enjoyment increases, Wiseau embraces what The Room is and how people feel about it--it's essentially a microcosm of what's happened with The Room since its release, taking what happened over years and retelling it as a single evening. Really smart way to put a positive high note on the end of this movie.

I can definitely see why Franco is being mentioned in Oscar talks already. His demeanor, facial cues, all these little details make you forget at moments that he isn't actually Tommy Wiseau. The other actors are great ... probably too much so, as their own performances in scenes of The Room are better than in the actual The Room.

Stay after the credits. I was going to leave, but my wife wanted to stay, and neither of us expected a bonus scene that shouldn't be missed.

Coco

DAMN that was good, just came to a damn head to the third act. Now it has SOME things in common with the "Book of Life", as well as some of the architecture looking STRAIGHT out of Grim Fandango, but it admittedly trumps both in the drama department with its themes of family and memory.

Only concrete criticisms I have are that Miguel's narration in the first act felt a bit forced, and I felt the bulk of the Rivera family could've had more fleshed out .

ALSO...did they HAVE to make the family's last name Rivera? Bad enough people thought this would be a Book of Life rip off, BUT EL TIGRE AS WELL? Any other Jorge Gutierrez series to add?

BUT-still good.

Edit:...when did I make a pu-OOOOOOOOOOOOOH my god I see it now, that was by accident damn that's funny.
I will say this: When this movie was announced, I was a bit afraid that Disney was trying to bury Book of Life in the cultural landscape and that they were trying to inappropriately profit off of a holiday from a culture they weren't attached to. Then they bent over backwards to avoid all that to release a movie that is actually a bit deeper than Book of Life (which I still love, even if it's a bit shallower) and feels pretty respectful. Fuck, they even made Frida Kahlo an almost main character, so points for that. Nothing to complain about that I can see.

Also an El Santa cameo, that made me laugh.

Another thing they DEFINITELY did better was how being forgotten was more of "death to the dead" type deal. The Book of Life touched on it when they went to the land of the forgotten, but all the forgotten looked the same and dissapearing was mildly depressing at best. HERE-we see people DIE, and its treated as sadly as it should be.

Also an El Santa cameo, that made me laugh.

Another thing they DEFINITELY did better was how being forgotten was more of "death to the dead" type deal. The Book of Life touched on it when they went to the land of the forgotten, but all the forgotten looked the same and dissapearing was mildly depressing at best. HERE-we see people DIE, and its treated as sadly as it should be.
To be fair, The Land of the Forgotten and the Land Beyond where/are subjects that are supposed to be the focus of the next Book of Life movie. It's hardly touched on because it's not important to the story.

Coco was very good. Nice story, good music, some very emotional moments, and just the right amount of humor.

Also I rather liked the Frozen short, but then again I'm a Frozen fanboy.

Coco was very good. Nice story, good music, some very emotional moments, and just the right amount of humor.

Also I rather liked the Frozen short, but then again I'm a Frozen fanboy.
The short has been yanked from the theaters, but will be shown on ABC this coming Thursday night.

The short has been yanked from the theaters, but will be shown on ABC this coming Thursday night.
Theater owners were PISSED about having to play it. It's 21 minutes long, so the combined time of playing it before Coco each time they played the movie actually cost them a showing of the movie each day.

Star wars the force awakens was wonderful. I'm not going to spoil it, suffice to say it's worth watching in the theater if you have a good theater near you.

The shots and visuals were stunning, beautiful, and well executed. Definitely worthy of the big screen treatment.

Story was good, acting was good, plot and themes great. A lot of tropes and trope breaking.

There was too much to take in visually in one viewing, so I'll be glad to get this on bluray when it comes out.

The 3D version was ok, but there's nothing in the movie that is better because of the 3D, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost even if you prefer 3D. I wondered more than once during the movie if certain scenes would have been better in 2D, the 3D may have been distracting.

Plus we only saw two other people dress up. Consequences of living in a small town, I guess.

Star wars the force awakens was wonderful. I'm not going to spoil it, suffice to say it's worth watching in the theater if you have a good theater near you.

The shots and visuals were stunning, beautiful, and well executed. Definitely worthy of the big screen treatment.

Story was good, acting was good, plot and themes great. A lot of tropes and trope breaking.

There was too much to take in visually in one viewing, so I'll be glad to get this on bluray when it comes out.

The 3D version was ok, but there's nothing in the movie that is better because of the 3D, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost even if you prefer 3D. I wondered more than once during the movie if certain scenes would have been better in 2D, the 3D may have been distracting.

Plus we only saw two other people dress up. Consequences of living in a small town, I guess.
Did you travel back in time 2 years?

I saw the Disaster Artist in a surprisingly full theater considering it's Last Jedi opening night.

I think I expected more out of it. I liked it, but I'll forget I saw it before the week's out.

Kind of wish I went to see Last Jedi last night. Could've walked into any showing. There were no shortage of tickets, which is funny considering how many people I know bought their tickets months ago.

I watched a movie I had been anxiously awaiting to come out.

Psych: The Movie was meaningless fun. It was great to see the characters again. It was basically like a longer version of an episode from the later seasons where there wasn't as much effort put into the mystery of the week.

I was about to brofist Steinman, because we did watch The Force Awakens tonight as refresher.

I can't believe how good this movie is. There's so much loving attention to detail and bright touches that bring out the new characters. The new trio becomes lovable almost from the start, and characters like Hux who should be forgettable end up grabbing attention. I think just calling it a course correction is a disservice to a really solid, enjoyable movie.

Looking forward to seeing The Last Jedi tomorrow morning. I'm probably going offline until then. Dodging spoilers has been enough of a minefield today and I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, so I hope everyone who's seeing it before I get back has a good time.

Wonder

This is a movie about how people of all ages and all backgrounds can be really shitty towards their fellow human beings. However, ultimately, goodness can still be found in people's hearts.

In that sense, this movie's main idea is remarkably similar to Wonder Woman's.

The Great Wall

This is a stupid movie. Matt Damon's accent is hilariously bad. The plot is nonsense. It's visually impressive, ridiculous, and overall a lot of fun. The action sequences are creative. I liked it. It's like a whoopie pie - it's garbage from top to bottom, but nice to indulge in now and then.

Jing Tian is exquisite.

The Great Wall

This is a stupid movie. Matt Damon's accent is hilariously bad. The plot is nonsense. It's visually impressive, ridiculous, and overall a lot of fun. The action sequences are creative. I liked it. It's like a whoopie pie - it's garbage from top to bottom, but nice to indulge in now and then.

Jing Tian is exquisite.
If I'm not mistaken, Jing Tian is seen in China as having very little talent, and only gets parts because she's pretty and has connections in the industry. Sort of like a better connected Megan Fox.

But yes, she's exquisite.

If I'm not mistaken, Jing Tian is seen in China as having very little talent, and only gets parts because she's pretty and has connections in the industry. Sort of like a better connected Megan Fox.

But yes, she's exquisite.
Since I'm not in China, I'm completely okay with that.

So we were watching Mickey Mouse's Once Upon a Christmas, a Disney anthology thing. First story is Huey, Duey, and ... I'm spelling it Luey, wish for Christmas every day, shenanigans, etc.

But the second story is what I want to talk about. The second story is about Goofy trying to convince Max that Santa is real. This isn't the adolescent Max from the Goof Troop show or A Goofy Movie. This is little Max, like 5 years old. (First question that pops up--just how early was Max's mom out of the picture? Sheesh!) So it's understandable if Goofy isn't ready for him to be over Santa.

WHY is Max suddenly having a Clausian crisis of faith? Because that fucker Pete tells him Santa Claus isn't real. And when Goofy hears it was Pete, I wouldn't have blamed him if he walked next door and punched that piece of shit in the face "What the fuck are you telling my kid that for, a-hyuk?!" Fuck, that pissed me off.

So we were watching Mickey Mouse's Once Upon a Christmas, a Disney anthology thing. First story is Huey, Duey, and ... I'm spelling it Luey, wish for Christmas every day, shenanigans, etc.

But the second story is what I want to talk about. The second story is about Goofy trying to convince Max that Santa is real. This isn't the adolescent Max from the Goof Troop show or A Goofy Movie. This is little Max, like 5 years old. (First question that pops up--just how early was Max's mom out of the picture? Sheesh!) So it's understandable if Goofy isn't ready for him to be over Santa.

WHY is Max suddenly having a Clausian crisis of faith? Because that fucker Pete tells him Santa Claus isn't real. And when Goofy hears it was Pete, I wouldn't have blamed him if he walked next door and punched that piece of shit in the face "What the fuck are you telling my kid that for, a-hyuk?!" Fuck, that pissed me off.
This is one of those moments if Peg had overheard Pete, he would have been a dead man. "He doesn't have his mom, now you take away Santa?! ARE YOU INSANE??? I will run you over with the RV!"

This is one of those moments if Peg had overheard Pete, he would have been a dead man. "He doesn't have his mom, now you take away Santa?! ARE YOU INSANE??? I will run you over with the RV!"
Yeah, Pete's family was completely absent. Maybe they were separated at this point. The only other person coming out of Pete's house is one of the Beagle Boys, robbing the place.

Return of the Jedi

I gotta say, I found the bit with Jabba and the Orion slave girl dancer a little unsettling. Like, not fitting for a movie with those cute, adorable ewoks.

... that was kinda the point. Jabba is not nice.
Aye. But it was, well, it just felt awfully misogynist, and I did not like it on this viewing. While I found myself thinking there should've been more done with the ewoks.

I mean, like, introduce them during the Jabba act, with the slug munching on them as a snack.

I was going to say something about social attitude when this movie came out, and then I realized how long ago it was and felt old.

What, Jabba the drug-dealing, hitman hiring, dancer murdering, slave owning alien crime lord is kind of misogynist? You're kidding me!

Seriously saying shit like that makes me want to punch you into paralysis.