[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Thor: Ragnarok

When Jim Sterling was reviewing Road Redemption, he said something along the lines of "developers need to realize how much fun 'fun' can be," referring to the game's simple and short but fun gameplay experience.

That was obviously the philosophy behind Thor Ragnarok. It was fun. Awesome, stupid, silly, spectacular cosmic fun. I'm sure there were issues with the movie but I enjoyed it too much to really notice.

And holy shit Hela was fucking hot. They didn't really accent that - she wasn't seductive at all, really - but just that outfit and the goth makeup, just... ungfff.

I really enjoyed it, and will pre-order it on Blu-Ray ASAP.

Coco

Fantastic. It’s well written, fun and funny throughout, wonderful characters and characterization, and a great deal of emotional suspense. To the degree that two of my kids were begging to leave because it was scary - ultimately figured out the suspense of whether it was going to work out or not coupled with the fairly intense emotions (lots of places really tug on your heart strings - you care about these characters) led them to be fearful. Ages 6 and 5. The rest of them were fine with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dei
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Wow. 5/5 again. Loved this. Why the hell didn't I go see this in the theater? I need to watch this about 10 more times now.
If you'd been in the theater, you probably would've missed some of the lines from people laughing, so there's that.

I was thinking about this movie today and how I had issues with its weakness plot, but realized, most of the major characters have an individual arc. The first one, they had an arc as a forming group and letting down their walls, but the sequel gives unique growth to multiple characters. That's pretty impressive without being hamfisted. I think I also need to watch this again.

If you'd been in the theater, you probably would've missed some of the lines from people laughing, so there's that.

I was thinking about this movie today and how I had issues with its weakness plot, but realized, most of the major characters have an individual arc. The first one, they had an arc as a forming group and letting down their walls, but the sequel gives unique growth to multiple characters. That's pretty impressive without being hamfisted. I think I also need to watch this again.
Rocket's speech in 1, at the wreck of the gaming table . . . "OVER AND OVER", in that moment of the film, escpecially if you're seeing it for the first time/dunno any Marvel comics background, you're all "holy crap, that's horrible." It's later on when you rewatch or think about it some or look more into the character, "horrible" become "HORRIBLE", and that he ended up adopting/be adopted by a sentient tree, Rocket isn't a badass *he is*, he's a truly a great tragic anti-hero.

Coco

Fantastic. It’s well written, fun and funny throughout, wonderful characters and characterization, and a great deal of emotional suspense. To the degree that two of my kids were begging to leave because it was scary - ultimately figured out the suspense of whether it was going to work out or not coupled with the fairly intense emotions (lots of places really tug on your heart strings - you care about these characters) led them to be fearful. Ages 6 and 5. The rest of them were fine with it.
I second this, I really enjoyed this movie. It's predictable, but most movies are these days. I definitely cried at the end.

Fair warning, there is a god awful 21 minute Frozen thing before Coco, so if you are going to see it, feel free to show up late.

At 21 minutes, they can re-air it on tv as an annual Christmas special. (I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing that's the logic.)

I think it was originally made to be a TV special, hence the length.
I swear I remember it originally being announced as a special, so I was confused when it was going to air in front of Coco.

Give me more Prep & Landing, Disney/Pixar!

Double featured the two new DC animated movies, Batman Vs Two-Face and Batman and Harley Quinn.

Batman vs Two-Face was fucking lovely and I almost cheered when I noticed Lee Meriwether's voice. I'm angry the world waited for Adam West to be on death's doorstep before they started making these. Imagine if we'd had a good 10 years of these. They're fucking hilarious and heart-warmingly nostalgic at the same time.

Sign pun of the movie:
Lorenzo's Oil Refinery

Batman and Harley Quinn was nauseating and I hope they don't let Paul Dini do fucking anything else without someone there to edit out his bullshit. We barely made it halfway through the movie before deciding to just watch Lady Dynamite. Don't turn Batman the Animated Series into a fucking weird sex comedy for fuck's sake. Batman Vs Two-Face was perfectly fine throwing in the silly innuendo, since the God damn 60's series is full of it, being so full bore blatant with it in the Batman Harley Quinn movie was gross and I hated it. Should have known it would be a tonal mess when it starts with a guard getting his guts splattered all over a wall while Poison Ivy makes a shitty joke.

I keep writing Paul Dini, but I mean Bruce Timm.

Fuck you Bruce Timm.

Here's the best review of this I've seen:

All I'll say is this: the tv show with the PG rating managed to be more mature than the movie with the PG-13 rating.
Now, other than the shitty sex and violence, the whole thing clocks in at a massive 1 hour and 10 minutes. Why is there a pointless 3 minute chase through Gotham where Harley runs down an ex-boyfriend that literally goes nowhere and means nothing. It's terrible and time wasting bullshit like this happened multiple times before we gave up.

The animation was mostly garbage too, but that's par for modern DC animated fare. Crazy how the TV animated series was so much prettier. Thanks to companies like Akom and TMS I guess, who did the best looking episodes of the series.

Christ we were spoiled by this Saturday morning cartoon.

Last edited:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7214762/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_3

Watched this on Netflix. There's a fine line between impersonating and flat-out copying a real person. It looks like Carrey took a different approach of trying to become Kaufman. Some parts were of the behind the scenes of MotM were incredible. His posture and mannerisms when he was Clifton was amazing, but the whole business of him talking to Kaufman's family as Andy Kaufman was really weird; especially with his daughter.

I am intrigued by method acting. I can see how trying to inhabit a character makes it more real for the actor, but once you have all the cameras, make-up, lights, and cables all around doesn't that just take them out of it again? It seems rather self indulgent. When it disruptive to production, I would think that would be hard to handle.

Like Robin Williams, it seems like Carrey has some deep-seated darkness in him. I did like what he said about going for your dreams. “You can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.”

It was an interesting documentary about Carrey with a bunch of Man of the Moon behind the scenes stuff.

I'm flipping through the channels and I just ended up watching the end of Fant4stic or however it's misspelled. Oh my god, it is so bad. But why is The Thing walked around naked?? And why are we forced to stare at his naked, rocky ass?! Did anyone ever ask for this?! I sure as hell didn't and now I can't unsee it. :eww:

I'm flipping through the channels and I just ended up watching the end of Fant4stic or however it's misspelled. Oh my god, it is so bad. But why is The Thing walked around naked?? And why are we forced to stare at his naked, rocky ass?! Did anyone ever ask for this?! I sure as hell didn't and now I can't unsee it. :eww:
I mean, given Rule 34, I'm sure someone did.

Dave

Staff member
Just watched "The Foreigner" with Jackie Chan. While it's not high art, for what it is isn't that bad. Good enough action although it lacks ANY of the normal humor Chan's movies have. It's a pretty ruthless movie. I did like that it was mostly set in Ireland as a group tries to restart the Troubles. Different angle than usual.

Battle Royale and Punch Drunk Love, in that order with my brother.

The former was the most MANGA thing I have ever god damned seen, surprisingly since it was based on a book. This was absolute insanity, and I know a lot of stuff that HAD to take credence from it like Danganronpa.

The latter was...WILD, lemme tell ya, reminded me of "Birdman" in a lot of places. Its an interesting take seeing people realistically react to Adam Sandler acting like a crazy person. Only gripe is I feel the ending would've been better if it ended on a cliff-hanger, but still enjoyable.

I read the novel Battle Royale. It wasn't great, honestly. Very predictable, and obsessed with generally unimportant (and frequently incorrect) details a lot of the time.

I read the novel Battle Royale. It wasn't great, honestly. Very predictable, and obsessed with generally unimportant (and frequently incorrect) details a lot of the time.
The film is a lot more straight forward from what I've heard, and VERY fast paced, kids dying left and right. ALSO-no CGI blood-ALL special effects and it was GLORIOUS!

The film is a lot more straight forward from what I've heard, and VERY fast paced, kids dying left and right. ALSO-no CGI blood-ALL special effects and it was GLORIOUS!
Yeah, I've seen it. I didn't give a shit about like 95% of the kids, so it kind of didn't have much impact.

Ahhh, so now's a good time to take Li'l Z. Not that he'd have a problem with Frozen, but a bunch of the parents in his class that took their kids said the kids were confused and fidgety by the length of the "short" and then the actual movie starting afterwards.

Ahhh, so now's a good time to take Li'l Z. Not that he'd have a problem with Frozen, but a bunch of the parents in his class that took their kids said the kids were confused and fidgety by the length of the "short" and then the actual movie starting afterwards.
It gets removed on the 8th, so next weekend.

Man, the "short" is 22 GD minutes long. Coupled with the commercials and trailers, that's like 40 minutes from advertised start time to actual start time. I can imagine that not going over well.
Particularly with little kids. Getting them to sit still and be relatively quiet is hard enough for a full movie as it is.

Last edited: