[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

The Blackcoat's Daughter.

The slowest burn horror movie I've ever watched but what it built to was completely worth it. This is the opposite of your normal Blumhouse jump scare pile of shit that makes 100 times it's tiny budget in theaters. It's actually difficult to sit through because it moves SO slowly and so deliberately. Great minimal performances.

Absolutely my kind of horror.

Logan

Wow. What a masterpiece. The "Shane" speech at the end was a little awkward, but not inappropriate. Stephen Merchant was surprisingly good in a non-comedic role, and the movie gives us a glimpse at how terrifying The Wolverine could be for regular people.

Jennifer's Body: I haven't finished the movie if that says anything. I like the premise, but the direction is so obnoxious I'm finding it tough to sit through.

EDIT: Made it to the end. That sucked.

Last edited:
Finally watched all of John Carpenter's The Thing yesterday with my bro-CLASSIC slowburn horror movie...also after watching it, my brother and I realized The Hateful 8 was basically the same movie but in cowboy times and instead of aliens there were just murderers.

Finally watched all of John Carpenter's The Thing yesterday with my bro-CLASSIC slowburn horror movie...
This is one of my absolute favorite horror movies. I'm not sure if it's number one, but it's definitely top three. Hell, it might be number one. I've watched it so many times and there's always more to notice. Only reason I'm not watching it as part of my 31 movies project is because I'm trying to prioritize stuff I've either never seen or haven't watched in a long time. But regardless, I think it's a superb balance of horrific moments and an atmosphere soaked in paranoia.

Though maybe I'll watch the 50s version since I haven't seen that in a while. Also a great movie, though very much of its time.

fade

Staff member
The Blob (1958)

The Blob (1988)

I've seen both before, so these are re-watches. The original was interesting, but not at all scary. It sort of peters out at the end and loses steam.

The remake on the other hand holds up quite well. It's still creepy, and has some nice deaths. The protagonist bait and switch is awesome.

The most ominous part of the original is the parting line. They drop the blob in the Arctic, and the main character says that he hopes the Arctic stays frozen.

The Blob (1958)

The Blob (1988)

I've seen both before, so these are re-watches. The original was interesting, but not at all scary. It sort of peters out at the end and loses steam.

The remake on the other hand holds up quite well. It's still creepy, and has some nice deaths. The protagonist bait and switch is awesome.
I'm surprise we don't have a second remake coming up for 2018. You know, one that wouldn't have the original's charm or the remake's creativity, and the monster would just be half-assed CGI.

The most ominous part of the original is the parting line. They drop the blob in the Arctic, and the main character says that he hopes the Arctic stays frozen.
I doubt that was meant to sound ominous back in the 50s, but nowadays--yeah.

EDIT: Never mind about that lack of remake! I went to check, just for the hell of it, and it's coming in 2019.

Baby Driver

I was in a bad mood when I sat down to watch this, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have, and also I'm obviously not into music nearly as much as Edgar Wright is.

Basically, I thought it was a decent movie with some very cool action sequences but also had some notable problems. For supposedly a mastermind who only works with professionals, Doc sure hires a bunch of violent morons. Too many of the characters were focused on antagonizing Baby instead of doing the job.

I know there's a spaghetti sauce episode, maybe that one was just more about Theo trying on his own and Cliff trying to help without being noticed.

--Patrick

The Thing from Another World: Damn it is nice when a movie still holds up.

Don't get me wrong, it's not scary anymore (though it does have one expertly-timed scare and a lot of suspenseful bits). But it's just a fine movie, the dialogue keeps the whole thing snapping along with likable characters and a pretty straightforward story. The tone is certainly friendlier than the 80s The Thing, but John Carpenter must've been a fan of the original anyway since he made sure to have characters watching it in Halloween.

Funny thing, I watched this a ton when I was a kid. Colorized and black and white, whatever version they were showing on TV, and later after I recorded on VCR. I never considered it my favorite, but looking back, it's weird how heavily I gravitated towards it, because typically my scale of how good a monster movie was back then was how much they showed the monster. More monster screentime = better movie, so between ages 7 and 12 if someone had asked my favorite movie it would've been The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. And yet somehow I loved The Thing from Another World despite it barely showing the monster at all. Like even my undeveloped adolescent mind could grab hold of the presence the creature has in the movie, or that I was enjoying it without there being any real on-screen carnage.

Again, just a damn fine movie.

The coolest trilogy of 80s horror remakes--The Fly, The Blob, and The Thing--have the benefit that if you got a kid who's not old enough to handle the 80s versions yet, the 50s versions should be totally okay to watch. Then later, they can enjoy the remakes too.

Watched BladeRunner 2049 last night. Big fat meh. Visuals and sound were pretty amazing, but the story was rehashed sci-fi stuff. Acting was pretty great too. After staring at Gosling's face for 2+ hrs, I don't get the appeal. He's a decent actor though. I think Ford is better looking even at 70 (or however old he is). I would have liked to have seen more about Bautista's character. He seemed like he had an interesting story. Overall it felt unnecessary, but at least it didn't detract from the original or retroactively change it.

Watched BladeRunner 2049 last night. Big fat meh. Visuals and sound were pretty amazing, but the story was rehashed sci-fi stuff. Acting was pretty great too. After staring at Gosling's face for 2+ hrs, I don't get the appeal. He's a decent actor though. I think Ford is better looking even at 70 (or however old he is). I would have liked to have seen more about Bautista's character. He seemed like he had an interesting story. Overall it felt unnecessary, but at least it didn't detract from the original or retroactively change it.
Apparently there is a short tie-in movie focused on Bautista's character.

Lair of the White Worm: There's a good story in here somewhere, hampered by weird ass direction choices and an unfortunately low budget.

But it's hard to take the horror story of cults and snake people and religious war when you've got a guy pacing in a kilt with a bagpipe to lure snakes away from a temple ground, who then sets loose a mongoose to go snake-hunting. The super-rapey hallucination sequences are something else, but they fucked up with the blue screen, so not only does it look pixelated to shit no matter how much you clean up the print, but the filmmakers didn't realize the make-up used to give one actress blue skin was the same shade of blue as the blue screen, so parts of her face become the background, and not on purpose from the looks of it.

And for all that, one of the weirdest damn things is that this neck of England has an American country western thing going on at one of its festivals.

I watched Wonder Woman earlier this week. It was fantastic, Gal Gadot was perfect, and Chris Pine's ragtag band of misfits were actually quite good. It lived up to the hype for me, and think that Justice League isn't worthy of this Wonder Woman.

Tonight I watched Spider-Man: Homecoming. The best Spider-Man movie to date, the best Spider-Man actor and character to date. This Peter Parker wasn't brooding or weird, he was a smart, slightly awkward, earnest kid trying his best to be a genuine superhero. And Michael Keaton as The Vulture was actually a surprisingly sympathetic villain - ruthless, to be sure, but unlike so many of Marvel's other villains, his motivation was personal, pragmatic, and understandable. Marisa Tomei was delightful. Ned and Michelle were great supporting characters. The Captain America PSAs were hilariously lame.

Thor: Ragnarok

First, there are two end credit scenes, so stick around if you like those.

We enjoyed it. Lots of decent action scenes, a reasonable chunk of humor. The character growth, forced by the plot, was reasonable and authentic. The plot was reasonable, and expands on the asgard/thor mythos.

Really enjoyed Jeff Goldblum's part.

All in all it's a worthy addition to the Marvel universe, and finally (and don't claim this is a spoiler, it's in all the movie posters) tells us what happened to Banner after the last avenger's movie.

Thor: Ragnarok

First, there are two end credit scenes, so stick around if you like those.

We enjoyed it. Lots of decent action scenes, a reasonable chunk of humor. The character growth, forced by the plot, was reasonable and authentic. The plot was reasonable, and expands on the asgard/thor mythos.

Really enjoyed Jeff Goldblum's part.

All in all it's a worthy addition to the Marvel universe, and finally (and don't claim this is a spoiler, it's in all the movie posters) tells us what happened to Banner after the last avenger's movie.
I feel like Thor: Ragnarok did a better job of dealing with the continuity issues that have been creeping into the MCU then probably any other movie has, which made it much more enjoyable for me.

Without the strength of Walt Simonson's run behind it (not to mention the dozens of stories that came before), I thought they managed to inject as much emotional weight as they could into recreating one the best moments from Simonson's run as they could. I was very happy they didn't just use panels as a storyboard, swell up the music, and rely on the comic to have done all the work. Admittedly it doesn't land as well as the comic, but that's next to impossible with the restraints of a movie.

Spider-Man: Homecoming

This was the Spider-Man movie that I have been waiting for. They got Spidey right in so many ways. I really LOL'd over Captain America. Keaton was great and scary. I'm glad they didn't kill him, and there is some possibility of him coming back.

Spider-Man: Homecoming

This was the Spider-Man movie that I have been waiting for. They got Spidey right in so many ways. I really LOL'd over Captain America. Keaton was great and scary. I'm glad they didn't kill him, and there is some possibility of him coming back.
It was nice to have an MCU conclusion where nobody died, not even the villain.