*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

If there's one word to suit most of the anti-trump content around here lately, "hysteria" definitely fits.
I hear they now treat that with this new fangled device called a vibrator. Keeps the doctor's hands from getting tired.[DOUBLEPOST=1480430755,1480430692][/DOUBLEPOST]
As the grandson of Jewish refugees from the Nazis. Yes, a huge leap.

Say what you will about the nazis, but at least they had an ethos.

Canada joins in (again) to this club: Quebec City mosque shooting

6 killed, 8 injured. Done with some variant of an AK-47, which btw is already illegal in Canada. I linked Wikipedia because saying that coverage of this one is "ongoing" would be an understatement.

Two names released so far for the shooters: Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir Supposedly two more are arrested as well right now.

Lots of coverage about how this was a "terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge" (That's a quote from our Prime Minister). Also reported from witnesses is that the attackers were shouting "Allahu Akbar" during the shooting (that's in the wiki article, cited multiple places). There are other reports (here, super-biased website, but a decent conclusion given evidence) about how this is a sectarian shooting, Muslim vs Muslim. The place shot up was TOO LIBERAL for some, who broke away. So it seems like there's good odds those who shot it up could be from the breakaway faction. So be wary of anybody saying that this is the result of anti-muslim rhetoric from places like the USA, as it seems like it may not be.

Or that could be wrong, and their motivations are purely anti-muslim. We'll see where this goes in the coming days.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Canada joins in (again) to this club: Quebec City mosque shooting

6 killed, 8 injured. Done with some variant of an AK-47, which btw is already illegal in Canada. I linked Wikipedia because saying that coverage of this one is "ongoing" would be an understatement.

Two names released so far for the shooters: Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir Supposedly two more are arrested as well right now.

Lots of coverage about how this was a "terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge" (That's a quote from our Prime Minister). Also reported from witnesses is that the attackers were shouting "Allahu Akbar" during the shooting (that's in the wiki article, cited multiple places). There are other reports (here, super-biased website, but a decent conclusion given evidence) about how this is a sectarian shooting, Muslim vs Muslim. The place shot up was TOO LIBERAL for some, who broke away. So it seems like there's good odds those who shot it up could be from the breakaway faction. So be wary of anybody saying that this is the result of anti-muslim rhetoric from places like the USA, as it seems like it may not be.

Or that could be wrong, and their motivations are purely anti-muslim. We'll see where this goes in the coming days.
My facebook was filled last night with gobs of posts and news articles of this sort, along with "So why aren't white Christians going to condemn an attack by their own?"

I said, clicking anon as I posted.
I've never found it a problem, though I do see how you can click the TEXT (not even the box) and get it to come up as anon.

I'd say one solution would be to "hide" the option inside the "more options" post screen, so that it's harder to one-click mis-click and cause that. Basically, anon is so rare, you may as well make the option slightly less obvious.

So apparently Moahmed Belkhadir is a witness, not a suspect. He was assisting survivors when he was mistakenly arrested. Whoopsie-doodle!

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30...as-a-moroccan-muslim-hes-a-white-nationalist/

The actual shooting suspect is 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette, a white French Canadian who is, by all appearances, a rabid anti-immigrant nationalist. A leader of a local immigration rights groups, François Deschamps, told a local paper he recognized his photo as an anti-immigrant far-right “troll” who has been hostile to the group online. And Bisonnette’s Facebook page – now taken down but still archived – lists among its “likes” the far right French nationalist Marine Le Pen, Islam critics Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the Israeli Defense Forces, and Donald J. Trump

He's a scumbag and in no way shape or form reflect how most Quebecois feels about muslims who by far have been surprisingly well accepted in this province.

Necronic

Staff member
While we may all have certain....opinions....about French Canadians I don't think anyone believes this is in any way representative of your people.

Also. I think it'sretty shit that all of the people that jumped on thinking this was caused by muslims aren't really owning what they said, and what it means.

While we may all have certain....opinions....about French Canadians I don't think anyone believes this is in any way representative of your people.

Also. I think it'sretty shit that all of the people that jumped on thinking this was caused by muslims aren't really owning what they said, and what it means.
That's because the media reported falsely and indicated an innocent man to be accomplice to the act of terror last night. :(

Why? The man panicked when a bunch of cops came in the mosque with guns while he tried to perform first aid. He freaked out and ran. The cops detained him, handcuffs and all while he was soaked in the blood of those he helped. Then the shit media idiots put his name up for all to see.

After that, everyone said is was a muslim on musilm crime (even the WHITE HOUSE! WTF) when in fact it was some sadsack sociapath who's pro-trump and anti-women worked up the courage to do this after Trump's recent actions. I shit you not. The fall-out of the idiocy going on down south is making people do real stupid thing when in fact they wouldn't just a few months ago.

I fear this is a drop in the water for things to come this year.

Hate crimes will be perpetrated in many places.

I don't know man... have any Quebecois leaders stepped up to condemn this attack? Or where they celebrating on the streets, and waving french flags? We'll never know... and don't check either...

That's because the media reported falsely and indicated an innocent man to be accomplice to the act of terror last night. :(

Why? The man panicked when a bunch of cops came in the mosque with guns while he tried to perform first aid. He freaked out and ran. The cops detained him, handcuffs and all while he was soaked in the blood of those he helped. Then the shit media idiots put his name up for all to see.
Fair enough. Crappy early reporting, that I will admit to having repeated here. My bad.
After that, everyone said is was a muslim on musilm crime (even the WHITE HOUSE! WTF) when in fact it was some sadsack sociapath who's pro-trump and anti-women worked up the courage to do this after Trump's recent actions. I shit you not. The fall-out of the idiocy going on down south is making people do real stupid thing when in fact they wouldn't just a few months ago.

I fear this is a drop in the water for things to come this year.

Hate crimes will be perpetrated in many places.
This was also the SAME MOSQUE that had the severed head of a pig put on the porch 6 months ago (or so) with a label of "Bon Appetite" on it, so it's been targeted in the past. So one could easily put this on a failure to investigate "precursor" crimes. The police in this case can't say "We had no idea somebody was targeting them" here.

This whole incident brings up one unfortunate reality: how as a society do you defend against a SINGLE PERSON who has enough hate and nothing to lose (in his mind) to do something like this? Groups there are tools against, but unless you get into thoughtcrime (that's being talked about in Gas's main sticky right now BTW), how do you defend against a lone wolf? For just about anything, I don't think it's possible. The best we can do is encourage different attitudes in the society as a whole, but the outlier is always possible.

I would argue that the hate alone is not enough, that it has more to do with other factors, like feelings of no control over your life, and general moral degradation in that "ya, killing a room-full of people is fine" is a belief that an adult can hold. I know that "moral degradation" isn't often seen around here as an argument, but as I've mentioned on here before, when somebody has little else in life, they don't need a reason to kill, they need a reason NOT to. Putting the focus on "hate" or the reasons WHY he killed is IMO an excuse he told himself. Look at all the things that did NOT hold him back, like lack of family, social connections, future life prospects, etc. Something made him feel like he had nothing to lose, and thus no restraints. That's the focus that I think will actually find something here.

For some time, somebody on this forum (I think, might have been somewhere else) had a signature with a line similar to "There comes a time in every man's life where he's tempted to raise the black flag and start slitting throats." What made the temptation in this man's life outweigh anything GOOD in his life?

And to anybody advocating more strict gun control as a solution, as I said in a previous post, the weapon used in the crime was ALREADY ILLEGAL in Canada.

Necronic

Staff member
I don't think there will ever be a way to fully prevent this stuff from happening. It's kind of like cyber security. No matter what you do there will always be a weakness that can be exploited.

But, like with cyber security, this does not mean you throw up your hands and say "well hell let's turn off the antivirus since it doesn't work all the time". There are still measures that can be taken to limit it.

I think the one way to identify those is to look to cultures with the lowest rates of shootings like this and figure out what they are doing differently.

The tricky thing with that is that a month ago I would have had Canada on that list.

to anybody advocating more strict gun control as a solution, as I said in a previous post, the weapon used in the crime was ALREADY ILLEGAL in Canada.
Doesn't matter. People will still advocate for even stricter gun control, because apparently it wasn't strict enough since this one "got in," and that wouldn't have happened at all if only regulations were tighter.
So this illegal gun should've been even more illegal in order to keep this from happening.

--Patrick

I think the one way to identify those is to look to cultures with the lowest rates of shootings like this and figure out what they are doing differently.

The tricky thing with that is that a month ago I would have had Canada on that list.
So? Even with this shooting Canada's still one of the lowest-shootings-per-capita countries in the world. The plural of anecodte isn't data and all that - one instance doesn't mean the system failed. It's always good to look at what could've been done to prevent this, what systems worked and what didn't. But unless you're in favor of actual full-on 1984 100% all-time surveillance of everyone everywhere, you'll always have outliers and fanatics. One unprevented shooting does not mean they're doing something wrong.

Quebec City has only 1 murder in all of 2016, 2 in 2015. Put that to perspective.

Montreal which has the most murders in Quebec, averages about 34 over the last decade and it's going down. 2013-2014 were 28 each.... last year I believe it's 16 with 7 to ties to mafia.

This scumbag was able to almost kill more people than the entire province by himself, within 10 minutes.

Hate crimes are always going to be a thing, a pig head is an act of intimidation and lack of respect probably perpetrated by "purlaine" Quebecois who don't know better but the vast majority of Quebecois aren't like this. There's was a vigil in Montreal condemning these acts, the mayors have spoken. No one accepts any of this except fucking losers.

Quebecois are going out of their way to accommodate, it's a beautiful thing to see and I hope it sticks.

Quebecois are going out of their way to accommodate, it's a beautiful thing to see and I hope it sticks.
Next you're going to say that you accept anglophones!

Not kidding as much as I hoped I'd be given the language laws and such.

Gunman came in looking for his estranged wife. He shot her at close range. Several kids were hit by stray fire, ricochets, or bullet fragments.

You know what's even more disturbing? The loons in the Facebook comments sections who are filled with a sadistic joy over all this. They LOVE hearing about these things happening in liberal states because then they can feel validated regarding their basement arsenals.

And why is it that these assholes always have a bald eagle as their Facebook avatar?

This seemed like the best thread for this clusterfuck:
NPR: 'I Shot Them,' Suspect In Deadly Fresno Shootings Tells Police
And from Canada: Cops: Man kills 3 on street, says he 'hates white people'

From the NPR article, it says that he's charged with FOUR killings, as he killed a security guard last week.

Also:
The Associated Press reports:
"During his arrest, Muhammad shouted "Allahu Akbar," but Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said the shootings had "nothing to do with terrorism in spite of the statement he made."
"This is solely based on race," Dyer told reporters."
Because being based on race only is going to end up SO much better.

Yikes.

I think the point they're trying to make is that there was no connection between him and ISIS or what not. Definitely didn't phrase it well though.
I agree with you on all counts there. I still expect ISIS to claim credit here though, as they always do with just about anything a Muslim does to kill lots of people, regardless of the connection. It's their "thing" from what I've seen.

Another mass shooting this time at a bar in Arlington, Texas:

'Hero' stopped mass murder by crazed bar patron who was armed to the teeth, police say
Two killed in Arlington restaurant shooting identified
Armed customer kills man who allegedly shot Texas bar employee to death

Oh wait, it's not a mass shooting, it's an attempted mass shooting where a guy with a concealed carry permit killed the shooter. Only one innocent death from a manager trying to calm the shooter down. How many would there have been if the guy with the permit wasn't there and acted? The story would be in this thread, but with a very different outcome.

I'm not about to go through a Googlefight with you, but given your story is from 2014, methinks there have been other incidents since then.
I don't doubt it, either, but that's the most prominent one from the other side of the coin.

I'm just worried that the most rabid "cold dead hands" types are going to use this incident as "proof" way more than they should.