*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

@PatrThom - I was trying to ascertain whether or not his response was sarcasm by asking if he missed a sarcasm tag: /s
Ah. I saw it as either the end of strikethrough, or else you posted after mashing the keys in such a way as to somehow delete the remainder of your post, leaving only the three chars.

--Patrick

Active shooter at Mandalay Bay on the Las Vegas strip. Multiple fatalities reported. Amateur video posted to twitter from an open-air concert sounds like automatic weapons fire.

4:35 EDT update: 20+ dead. Shooter a local to the area. He's dead.

Last edited:
Some Trumpkins have already tried to slime the POI's ex-husband as the shooter and list all his left-leaning interests. Of course that guy wasn't connected in any way.

Of course they are, and you’ll see the same on the left. When your identity is so tied into a political “side”, you’ll twist as much as possible to avoid being lumped in with people who do terrible things. People are amazing at rationalizing and assigning blame where it suits them.

Yep, it's been a rush all morning to attribute this to some sort of ideology or point of view, as if its some sick game where your 'side' gets a point if the other 'side' commits some atrocity. I've heard everything from "I hope it's a right-wing nut" and "I blame fox news and the alt-right" to "I'll bet it was a lefty because they shot up a country concert".

Were all the fatalities from the shooter? Or is this one of those "X were shot to death and Y died in the ensuing stampede" kind of things? Because damn, that's either some serious magic bullet-level accuracy collateral damage or else some terribly (un)lucky spray-n-pray.

--Patrick

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Were all the fatalities from the shooter? Or is this one of those "X were shot to death and Y died in the ensuing stampede" kind of things? Because damn, that's either some serious magic bullet-level accuracy or else some terribly (un)lucky spray-n-pray.

--Patrick
It's not hard to hit people packed that closely together using a fully automatic weapon. And since you are "spraying and praying" from a MUCH higher ground, the initial shots will all be upper body/head shots.

I'm surprised more didn't die.

Were all the fatalities from the shooter? Or is this one of those "X were shot to death and Y died in the ensuing stampede" kind of things? Because damn, that's either some serious magic bullet-level collateral damage or else some terribly (un)lucky spray-n-pray.

--Patrick
The concert venue holds 40,000, and the shows were all sold out, so presumably there were close to 40k people gathered in that one outdoor venue. So if the current numbers are correct you had a 1 in 1,000 chance of dying and a 1 in 100 chance of being injured from this attack if you attended the concert.

The shooter was on the 32nd floor of an adjacent building.

What I've read suggests:
- the bursts of shots were well outside regular magazine capacities, and into belt fed or at least ammo can magazine capacity - ie, a hundred or more shots per burst.
- the shooter was either bump shooting or had one or more fully automatic weapons.

I'm not going to watch the videos to verify - In addition to not needing that playing in my mind over and over again, I don't have the expertise, and I'm sure experts and evidence will be forthcoming soon enough.

I'm sure many injuries and probably some deaths were indirect, but:
- shooting down into a crowded arena from 300 feet above
- focusing shots on the most crowded areas (ie, the exits once people understood what was going on)
- two hours of shooting (10:08pm first report of shots fired at police dispatch, 12:01am first report of one suspect down)
- it takes a long time for 40,000 people to leave the venue via the exits

If even a handful of the above is true, it's a plain miracle we had as few deaths and injuries as there are and will be.

One of my cousins was at that concert with his girlfriend.

Thankfully, they both decided they were too tired at one point and returned to their hotel before the shooting started. I can't even imagine how he feels right now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Getting a full auto in Vegas isn't exactly... difficult. They are perfectly legal in Nevada, even if they can be ungodly expensive to buy.
The NFA is a national law, not a state law, that requires a whooooole lot of paperwork, expense, and federal scrutiny to buy a full auto weapon. However, it's conceivable a semi auto could have been converted to full auto with some machining.

One of my cousins was at that concert with his girlfriend.

Thankfully, they both decided they were too tired at one point and returned to their hotel before the shooting started. I can't even imagine how he feels right now.
Like one of the luckiest ever people in Vegas, I imagine.[DOUBLEPOST=1506960641,1506960395][/DOUBLEPOST]
The NFA is a national law, not a state law, that requires a whooooole lot of paperwork, expense, and federal scrutiny to buy a full auto weapon. However, it's conceivable a semi auto could have been converted to full auto with some machining.
If he brought so many rifles, I'm wondering if he did that because he was expecting some of them to jam since they probably aren't really built with that in mind, and there's no guarantee how competent he was at gunsmithing.
...unless maybe he had one of these, that is.

--Patrick

Like one of the luckiest ever people in Vegas, I imagine.[DOUBLEPOST=1506960641,1506960395][/DOUBLEPOST]
If he brought so many rifles, I'm wondering if he did that because he was expecting some of them to jam since they probably aren't really built with that in mind, and there's no guarantee how competent he was at gunsmithing.
...unless maybe he had one of these, that is.

--Patrick
a ghost gunner doesn't make a gun fully auto, it only makes a lower receiver. Which is, basically (even after it's done smithing), just a hunk of metal. He would still have to make/get the parts to make the firearm full auto.

Thoughts and prayers.
I've already started seeing this all over.
a ghost gunner doesn't make a gun fully auto, it only makes a lower receiver. Which is, basically (even after it's done smithing), just a hunk of metal. He would still have to make/get the parts to make the firearm full auto.
...assuming he couldn't just find and load whatever .OBJs he wants, that is. I don't know how flexible the GG is in the files it supports.

--Patrick

I've already started seeing this all over.

...assuming he couldn't just find and load whatever .OBJs he wants, that is. I don't know how flexible the GG is in the files it supports.

--Patrick
I would think it would be difficult to find the files that would have it drimmel out the part that blocks the auto-sear of an ar-15. And even then he would have to FIND and auto-sear

That would be MGM Resorts, and their stock has fallen almost 6% now since yesterday's total. That's just under 1/16 of its total value.

--Patrick
I doubt a great many people will be staying there going forward, at least at the short to medium term. Literally everyone leaving McCarren driving down the strip will point at this first hotel and go, "Mandalay Bay, where the crazy gunman shot all those people enjoying a concert. I'd never book my stay there."

And as for all the gun control bullshit going on today here's my hot take.

You don't have to agree with it, I'm Canadian (so what do I know, eh?) and I couldn't give two shits otherwise...gun control is dead. Sandy Hook marked the end of that debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.

I doubt a great many people will be staying there going forward, at least at the short to medium term. Literally everyone leaving McCarren driving down the strip will point at this first hotel and go, "Mandalay Bay, where the crazy gunman shot all those people enjoying a concert. I'd never book my stay there."

And as for all the gun control bullshit going on today here's my hot take.

You don't have to agree with it, I'm Canadian (so what do I know, eh?) and I couldn't give two shits otherwise...gun control is dead. Sandy Hook marked the end of that debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.
I've actually seen less than I expected. Only 2 Facebook posts on suggesting things change in regards to gun control.

See, I look at that and think "Man, I bet I can get a really good rate there."

Dave

Staff member
Especially since they were white children.

Now, now, dozens of dead children and hundreds of wounded concert goers are just the price we have to pay if we want to make sure white dudes have the freedom to carry assault rifles into an Arby's.

From zero to circlejerk in less than 12 hours. #halforums
It's almost like since there's so many mass shootings we're kind of numb to it and can predict the absolute nothing that will come of it.

Because that's exactly the fucking case.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's almost like since there's so many mass shootings we're kind of numb to it and can predict the absolute nothing that will come of it.

Because that's exactly the fucking case.
You know why? Because we have super instant media and the largest population besides China. As soon as you start including the word "per capita" pure fucking magic happens.

"This doesn't happen in other countries" is mostly false, according to politifact - a site often criticized for leaning left.

Norway, Finland, and Switzerland all have higher mass shooting deaths per capita.

And here's 13 charts that put America's gun violence in perspective.

And here's one more, specifically aimed at "we have so many guns, that's why we have so many dead"...

Gun homicides per million firearms owned by country.