*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

fade

Staff member
I'm just saying I personally know several people who got their "CHL"s from people who just signed off on them. I mean, more than one person, from more than one part of my life.

Oh, and I should say that at least two of these people are quite proud of this fact. They view it as beating the big, bad gubmint.

Also, the vast majority of "good guys with a gun" who stop shootings are either military or off-duty law enforcement. The others just make it more difficult for police to do their job.

Getting a CHL in Texas is ridiculously easy. Just have a clean record, show you can shoot straight, and take a 4-6 hour class. http://www.texaschl.us/eligibility.htm

Last edited:
To be fair, out of the hundreds of mass shootings (defined as a shooting incident where 4 or more people are killed or injured) per year, on average around two dozen are stopped by armed citizens each year.

To be fair, out of the hundreds of mass shootings (defined as a shooting incident where 4 or more people are killed or injured) per year, on average around two dozen are stopped by armed citizens each year.
Link on that one? Seems reasonable to me, but I'm obviously biased, so I figured better for me to ask what others will be asking for, otherwise it's just a number from nowhere.

Closest I can find is here: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/2015/12/05/fact-check-more-armed-citizens-equals-less-mass-shootings/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...hootings_examples_of_armed_interventions.html

The bias is extremely strong on both sides, and also they use the FBI definition of a mass shooting, which is a shooting incident in which 4 or more people are killed (not injured), mass shooting tracker defines a mass shooting as an incident in which 4 or more people are killed OR injured.

But either way the numbers seem to indicate that somewhere between 1 and 5% of mass shootings are stopped by armed citizens.

So, going off the 477 mass shootings of 2016 https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data/2016 - 5% of that would be just under 24.

Closest I can find is here: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/2015/12/05/fact-check-more-armed-citizens-equals-less-mass-shootings/

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...hootings_examples_of_armed_interventions.html

The bias is extremely strong on both sides, and also they use the FBI definition of a mass shooting, which is a shooting incident in which 4 or more people are killed (not injured), mass shooting tracker defines a mass shooting as an incident in which 4 or more people are killed OR injured.

But either way the numbers seem to indicate that somewhere between 1 and 5% of mass shootings are stopped by armed citizens.

So, going off the 477 mass shootings of 2016 https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data/2016 - 5% of that would be just under 24.
I was gonna say "well, armed citizens clearly aren't an effective prevention solution - 5% successful is not effective policy" but I realize I'm missing an important stat to go along with yours:

How many of those 477 mass shootings occured in areas with armed citizens?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/oregon-shooting-gun-laws-213222

The civilian "good guy" stops shootings so rarely that they are statistical outliers.

And there have been mass shootings done in the presence of armed citizens. Not just the Giffords shooting either. In the Dallas shooting last summer, there were dozens of armed civilians who made things worse. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...da_story.html?utm_term=.e57126195ba2#comments

It seems as if most non-military, non-LEO CHL holders are doing it because they're looking for an opportunity to shoot someone without consequences.

fade

Staff member
The example that always comes to mind for me is the Colorado movie theater shooting. I can imagine some CHL packing heroes would've made that situation much worse. Maybe they wouldn't, but they sure stand a good chance of doing so.

The example that always comes to mind for me is the Colorado movie theater shooting. I can imagine some CHL packing heroes would've made that situation much worse. Maybe they wouldn't, but they sure stand a good chance of doing so.
They also stand a good chance of making it better. There's too many variables to use that as an example either way.

Dave

Staff member
This is the guy who did it. You should read his Facebook page. It's all about God and how much he hates muslims and blacks. Oh, and Jews.

But if you listen to all the hyper right folk, he was actually a Bernie bro. You know, Bernie Sanders, the most Jewish man in the world.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

That one will be talked about more because (1) he's black and (2) because one of the victims is a cop.
It'll be something else soon. Gotta keep the line moving, slide today's tragedy aside to make way for tomorrow's.

The stabbing is bad in isolation, of course, but also in that there have been multiple recent murders of those who stand up against angry, racist white men. Hell, one of the guys killed in Oregon was a veteran.

But this shooting is bad, and every other shooting in this lengthy thread, and we go back to the first line of this post, because there will be more to come this week in some variety.

I got the most sleep last night that I've had in many weeks and then I went looking at the news and feel so tired.

The Portland Nazi is all but daring the state to stick the needle in his arm (Oregon is a capital punishment state.)

Better to stick him in the deepest darkest hole devoid of all human contact for the rest of his days. And make damn sure he can't do anything stupid to try and check out early.

"Multiple fatalities" at a workplace shooting in Orlando, FL. Address given is off of Forsythe Rd.
A disgruntled former employee at an RV accessories plant, who had to removed after assaulting a coworker in 2014, returned and shot the place up. 6 dead, more wounded.

Dave

Staff member
A disgruntled former employee at an RV accessories plant, who had to removed after assaulting a coworker in 2014, returned and shot the place up. 6 dead, more wounded.
Waited 3 years. You just can't plan for that.

Waited 3 years. You just can't plan for that.
According to this article, despite the previous incident, wasn't fired then. WAS fired in April of this year:
The sheriff did not release the name of the alleged shooter, noting the former employee was fired at some point in April.
“He was a disgruntled employee that came back to this business this morning,” Demings said adding that police have little record of incidents at the business.
“However, about three years ago in June of 2014, we did respond to this business in which the subject who is responsible for the deaths this morning was the subject of a workplace violence incident in which he allegedly battered another employee here in the business,” Demings said. “There were no charges actually at that time.”
So a 1-2 month gap, not 3 years, though obviously signs going back 3 years.

Dave

Staff member
Wow. I'd only heard the 2014 thing and hadn't read anything about it (including the attached article). So the mentioning of the 2014 incident was to establish anger issues, not the trigger for the specific event.

Wow. I'd only heard the 2014 thing and hadn't read anything about it (including the attached article). So the mentioning of the 2014 incident was to establish anger issues, not the trigger for the specific event.
Right. He'd been violent in the workplace before.

Another massacre, this time in Plano, TX. Estranged husband shows up at a football watching party and blows nine people away.

Fighting the big bad gub'mint, my ass.

Dave

Staff member
Let's not forget a school shooting in Washington near Spokane. "Only" one dead, but several shot. The kid's first gun jammed or it might have been worse.

Making a remark about how statistics are compiled. Like, for example, the FBI crime stats only count an incident as a mass shooting if 4 or more people, not including the shooter, are killed. So by their logic, 1 killed and 6 wounded wouldn't be a mass shooting, which it obviously is to anyone with half a brain.

*Angry post that boils down to FUCK THE SECOND AMENDMENT AND DOUBLE FUCK THE PEOPLE WHO CONSIDER DEAD FAMILIES AND CHILDREN JUST THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS*

Maybe it's time to burn some bridges, 'cause you motherfuckers are just inhuman.

(and I haven't had coffee yet)

*Angry post that boils down to FUCK THE SECOND AMENDMENT AND DOUBLE FUCK THE PEOPLE WHO CONSIDER DEAD FAMILIES AND CHILDREN JUST THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS*

Maybe it's time to burn some bridges, 'cause you motherfuckers are just inhuman.

(and I haven't had coffee yet)
Better have a Snickers, too.

--Patrick