Rant V - The Drama Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a professor that told us on the first day that if our cell phone ever went off in his lecture that he WOULD answer it. We all laughed, and thought he was joking.

Until a few weeks or so later.

Guy in the 2nd row's phone goes off, the professor, without missing a beat strides back there, and yanks it out of his hand. He barely can say a word before the professor is like "Hi... *look at phone* Sarah, I hope you're not Jim's girlfriend, since he's really stupid. He left his phone on in class and is probably gonna fail if he doesn't pay better attention to the lectures. You should try him again in about an hour so you're disrupting someone else's class. Have a nice day!" and he tosses it back to the guy, who kind of slowly mutters "that was my girlfriend", and the whole class loses it for a brief second before the professor started lecturing again.

Thats... a little over the top. Insulting a student can get you in big trouble. Taking the phone for the rest of the class or something is shaming enough I would think.

My boss in grad school would have throttled anyone who's phone went off during a lecture. Well, kicked them out of class, at least. He once booted someone he saw doing a crossword puzzle.

C

Chazwozel

Thats... a little over the top. Insulting a student can get you in big trouble. Taking the phone for the rest of the class or something is shaming enough I would think.

Pfftt... tell that to those untenured associate professors. Once you've put in your dues, you can take a shit on a student's desk and not have to think anything of it.

My boss in grad school would have throttled anyone who's phone went off during a lecture. Well, kicked them out of class, at least. He once booted someone he saw doing a crossword puzzle.
That I can understand more. I mean, doing a crossword is decidedly not participating in the class. Forgetting to turn off a cell phone is just kind of forgetful.

I think what really bothered me about it, is that it wasn't even all that distracting at all. I'd maybe have understood if the ringtone was some loud annoying pop song, and at the bottom of a bookbag or purse that the person had to dig through to find it. But this was like the default little beep that indicates a text message, you know?

ah well. I'm just glad I don't usually bring mine to class.

fade

Staff member
I CAN'T STAND cellphones going off when I lecture. It's rude and distracting to me, and to all your classmates. If a call is that important, skip and suffer the consequences. I understand the forgetful thing, but I don't have the time to be nice about it to 200+ students in a geology 101 lecture. I tried the first few semesters I taught, but I quickly learned that no one personifies the "give em an inch and they'll take a mile" thing like a college student.

Heh, my roomie has an english teacher that said the whole "I'll answer your phone" menace, with the added catch that if it was hers that rung then a student gets to answer it. I'm told it happened about a week ago; good times.

M

makare

My civ pro prof has a rule not to bring phones into the classroom, specifically to avoid that problem. Monday we had a judge as a guest speaker and someone's phone went off. The judge continued speaking as if nothing happened but everyone in class was looking at our prof to see how he'd react. He just looked ticked off.

He sent us an angry email and then really chewed us out in class today. I leave my phone in my locker because I would die of embarrassment if it went off in class.

In University? Does anybody even do that? I've had professors berate people for ringing cellphones, and even demand that they be turned of prior to class, but I've never had anyone outright take one away.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I CAN'T STAND cellphones going off when I lecture. It's rude and distracting to me, and to all your classmates. If a call is that important, skip and suffer the consequences. I understand the forgetful thing, but I don't have the time to be nice about it to 200+ students in a geology 101 lecture. I tried the first few semesters I taught, but I quickly learned that no one personifies the "give em an inch and they'll take a mile" thing like a college student.
I'm on a Emergency Response team in the city (basically just giving out hot soup and blankets and that stuff to fire victims). During the weeks (2 weeks of every 8) I was on call, I would mention it to my professors that I could potentially be called during class. I turned the phone on vibrate, and took the seat closest to the door for those weeks. Very few of my profs ever expressed anything more than mild amusement that I thought I was important enough to 'be on call.'

M

makare

Mine is the song, Tell Me Something Good.

Unless my mom is calling then it is
"your mom is calling back, for no real reason, but just to chat, she'll waste your minutes talkin bout the cat, or how your Dad has gotten fat, dont pick up the phone, it's your momma"
to the tune of bringing sexy back.

C

Chazwozel

Ah cell phone ringers. My has and always will be the theme from "The Good, the bad, and the ugly"

Oh, I'm not saying it shouldn't be dealt with, I'm just saying being verbally aggressive isn't the best way to go about it. If I had done that to student as an adjunct and they had complained about it I could be in big trouble. I've never had a cell go off in my classes, probably because I'm the most amazing prof ever ;)
If I did I'd probably tell them to answer it and have the class wait till they were done then inform them if it happened again they could leave for the day. Thankfully it never has. At least not yet.

M

makare

My classs is all together in 6 classes. The only class a cellphone has ever gone off is the one where the prof specifically told us not to bring the phone to class. And what I want to know is why are people calling at 9 in the morning. I mean what the hell.

My first one was Ludacris - Rollout, my second was Europe - The Final Countdown as a tribute to Gob Bluth, and my third and current one is the poet Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.

I ain't need fun, I need functionality. I so often have my headphones in or am sitting in a noisy bus that having an audible phone-ring would be useless to me.

C

Chazwozel

Ah cell phone ringers. My has and always will be the theme from "The Good, the bad, and the ugly"
Says the guy who is all three.[/QUOTE]

My mom says I'm pretty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well your mom says a lot of things she doesn't mean. "Of course it meant something. Those other guys are just friends. Sure I'll call you."

Stone cold, that one.[/QUOTE]

The only thing your mom's ever said to me is mmrrphh mmrrphh <swallow>

TOP SHELF DENIED!

Says the guy who is all three.[/QUOTE]

My mom says I'm pretty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well your mom says a lot of things she doesn't mean. "Of course it meant something. Those other guys are just friends. Sure I'll call you."

Stone cold, that one.[/QUOTE]

The only thing your mom's ever said to me is mmrrphh mmrrphh <swallow>

TOP SHELF DENIED![/QUOTE]

Dude, now you're just being ridiculous and vulgar.

My mom never swallows.

Status
Not open for further replies.