Rant V - The Drama Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
*DOH!* Friday I decided to finally buy a microphone for my PC. I ordered a fairly cheap Logitech desktop microphone for $10, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Yesterday I read somewhere that the Xbox 360 controller's headset connector works on a PC (who would'a thunk it?), and today I tested it with an old phone headset laying around the house. It works, and not bad at that. Now I can voice chat while playing L4D2 and what-not, but I still spent $10 on a microphone that I don't need and might be crappy anyway.

Cajungal

Staff member
Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. I don't know why, but no matter how hard I try, no matter how well I can sing anything else, I CANNOT make this song sound good. I have aboue 2 more weeks to prepare and I don't feel ready at all. Probably has something to do with not really liking our anthem. I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared. :(

Dave

Staff member
Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. I don't know why, but no matter how hard I try, no matter how well I can sing anything else, I CANNOT make this song sound good. I have aboue 2 more weeks to prepare and I don't feel ready at all. Probably has something to do with not really liking our anthem. I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared. :(
No matter what happens you can't do worse than Rosanne Barr. And with your voice I think you'll be excellent.

Cajungal

Staff member
No matter what happens you can't do worse than Rosanne Barr. And with your voice I think you'll be excellent.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: True dat. At least they'll all be drunk.

Seej sings like a champion, as our recent correspondence on Skype would have me believe. :awesome:

She also swears in an excellent manner.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Jokingly: Have you considered doing a ukulele version of it? Everything's better with ukuleles. Or monkeys. Can you teach a monkey to play the ukulele with you? =)

Honestly: Seej, sounds like you're just having stage fright. You'll do fine. Heck, you're gonna shine. Wow, I even made a rhyme.

Aaaaand this is why I shouldn't post before ingesting some caffeine. The point is, you'll kick ass. Monkey or otherwise.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

AAAGH!!! AAAAGGHHH!!! GO AWAY GOAWAYGOAWAY!!!

Fuck, man... Dave, you flappy-hootered fossil, you owe me a pair of new eardrums...

R

rabbitgod

Jokingly: Have you considered doing a ukulele version of it? Everything's better with ukuleles. Or monkeys. Can you teach a monkey to play the ukulele with you? =)

Honestly: Seej, sounds like you're just having stage fright. You'll do fine. Heck, you're gonna shine. Wow, I even made a rhyme.

Aaaaand this is why I shouldn't post before ingesting some caffeine. The point is, you'll kick ass. Monkey or otherwise.
All of that made sense to me and I don't consume caffeine. What does that say about me?

Cajun is gonna kick ass. Check and mate.

M

makare

The anthem is really difficult. The way I get through it, and I heard another chick do this over the holidays so I felt better about it, was to conform it to my voice instead of reaching for the notes. It doesnt sound exactly right, but most people don't notice anyway.

Why are you singing the anthem?

Somewhere, Glenn Beck sheds a single tear for patriotism.

But no, really, Russia won the national anthem race. I think it's required to only be sung by a full choir and orchestra.

fade

Staff member
Just don't Aguilera all over the notes. I hate when people sing the anthem that way. Worse, people go nuts for it like it's talent. It just sounds like backtracking to find the right note to me.

That being said--I do like our anthem. It's nice and strong. The flag? .... Well, let's just say I was happy to see the writers at Robot Chicken thought about the same thing I did. The colors are fine, but the mismash of stars and stripes and the weird box up in the corner...

I like our flag. At least it's not just 3 colors next to one another. England probably has my favorite though. Unless the klingon empire counts.

M

makare

Grrrr! I just spent ten minutes trying to ask my prof a question after class but she was answering other students questions in the most convoluted, verbose way possible so I gave up.

I've discovered in the past week the dirty little secret that all Taq polymerase is contaminated with bacterial DNA. Which presents a problem when you're trying to quantify total bacterial load in a sample by real time PCR of a conserved region of the 16S ribosomal RNA gene. Workarounds thus far are... unsatisfactory*.

*FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

C

Chazwozel

I've discovered in the past week the dirty little secret that all Taq polymerase is contaminated with bacterial DNA. Which presents a problem when you're trying to quantify total bacterial load in a sample by real time PCR of a conserved region of the 16S ribosomal RNA gene. Workarounds thus far are... unsatisfactory*.

Really??!?!?!?

Wow, that'll be really fucked up if you have to protein purify your Taq.

There isn't some sort of ultra pure RT-PCR Taq available?

Really??!?!?!?

There isn't some sort of ultra pure RT-PCR Taq available?[/QUOTE]
I've seen a couple sources and have ordered them, but have seen some reports of questionable results. Then there's the problem of actually getting them to work in the real time system, which is a bit more finicky than conventional PCR. Typically you use a master mix that's been nicely optimized (but apparently fucking contaminated), so making your own requires a lot of tweaking. I'm also trying methods for degrading the DNA in the master mixes before adding primers and template, but so far they all seem to mess with the downstream amplification.

It's funny, you'd never notice the contamination under most circumstances. The signal enters log phase fluorescence in the real time PCR around 30 cycles or so, which is a typical stopping point in conventional PCR. And still you'd only see something if you're using primers designed to amplify a gene from all bacteria. I'm guesstimating the contamination is 10-50 copies per 25 uL reaction, which is really low but not low enough for this project.

Cajungal

Staff member
The anthem is really difficult. The way I get through it, and I heard another chick do this over the holidays so I felt better about it, was to conform it to my voice instead of reaching for the notes. It doesnt sound exactly right, but most people don't notice anyway.

Why are you singing the anthem?[/QUOTE]

It's for a Mardi Gras ball. My mother's the queen of Xanadu, so she requested that I sing the anthem. You're right--it IS a hard song to sing. And to clarify, I like the lyrics, but the melody gives me trouble. NR, I would actually like to, but it has to be all serious and patriotic and crap... otherwise I'd be strumming my heart out, since Leon puts me at ease.

C

Chazwozel

Really??!?!?!?

There isn't some sort of ultra pure RT-PCR Taq available?[/QUOTE]
I've seen a couple sources and have ordered them, but have seen some reports of questionable results. Then there's the problem of actually getting them to work in the real time system, which is a bit more finicky than conventional PCR. Typically you use a master mix that's been nicely optimized (but apparently fucking contaminated), so making your own requires a lot of tweaking. I'm also trying methods for degrading the DNA in the master mixes before adding primers and template, but so far they all seem to mess with the downstream amplification.

It's funny, you'd never notice the contamination under most circumstances. The signal enters log phase fluorescence in the real time PCR around 30 cycles or so, which is a typical stopping point in conventional PCR. And still you'd only see something if you're using primers designed to amplify a gene from all bacteria. I'm guesstimating the contamination is 10-50 copies per 25 uL reaction, which is really low but not low enough for this project.[/QUOTE]

So you use Taqman or an optimized SYBR green system? I've only used Taqman since SYBR green requires a buttload of calibration and control steps.

Cajungal

Staff member
And yeah, Fade, I hate that shit. A few grace notes here and there can be nice, but anything else just makes you sound like you can't sustain a note without breaking. I also use that weird little thing called TEMPO when I sing the anthem.

Man I hope work today goes better than yesterday. It's not that yesterday was a horrid day it is just everything kept changing. I went in with a set list of things to get done. Well due to circumstances I couldn't do them yesterday. So I went to my boss told him I couldn't do it and he gave me permission to do another project. So I spent my whole morning working on the new task.

I was almost I had all the prep work done and I only had about an hour or so of work left when I noticed it was lunch time. So I went to lunch and my boss came to me and told me one of the tools was down and that I couldn't finish the task I was working on. Okay so I had wasted my morning for nothing but oh well. So I figured I would spend the rest of the day doing some little jobs that were not super important but had been piling up and needed to be done. So I started working on those when I got back from lunch. A short time later I got an email telling me I needed to get another task done right away. Okay I dropped what I was doing and finished up the new task.

I was just about finished with it and I was planning on going back to finish up my normal work when I got another email asking me to do another task that needed to be done right away. So I finished up the new task and by the time I was done it was quitting time. Now it's not that the work was hard it wasn't it was just the fact that everything I planned on doing couldn't get done. And even with my changing my plans several times to try and accommodate the changes through the day nothing I had planned on getting done got done.

C

Chazwozel

Welp, I just got chewed out by the accounting administrator for not having enough description on the shit my lab ordered for the December cycle. I WAS HIRED IN JANUARY! Fucking twit.

So you use Taqman or an optimized SYBR green system? I've only used Taqman since SYBR green requires a buttload of calibration and control steps.
I normally use Taqman, but I've adapted this assay from a bacterial ID system I'd been using, so there's no probe. Besides, all the reports I've seen say Taqman is contaminated all to hell. The SYBR green (Bio-rad's iQ SYBR Green Master Mix) works okay so far for other targets, provided I have the right quantitative controls. If I can get a pure Taq that works with Taqman probe chemistry and can work out a home brewed master mix, that will be peachy. Or if I can decontaminate the SYBR green master mix without killing the amplification, that would be peachy, too.

Jee Jake, sorry to hear about your...err...bacterial...Problem.

Also, if I had a cellphone that could have other ringtones, mine'd be the Robocop theme.

And as for anthems, I really like Germany

:-P

C

Chazwozel

I normally use Taqman, but I've adapted this assay from a bacterial ID system I'd been using, so there's no probe. Besides, all the reports I've seen say Taqman is contaminated all to hell. The SYBR green (Bio-rad's iQ SYBR Green Master Mix) works okay so far for other targets, provided I have the right quantitative controls. If I can get a pure Taq that works with Taqman probe chemistry and can work out a home brewed master mix, that will be peachy. Or if I can decontaminate the SYBR green master mix without killing the amplification, that would be peachy, too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me how much I hate RT.

So my roommate assumed i'd be fine with him inviting a friend of his to live with us for a while because they got kicked out of their apartment!

I can only hope that she just doesn't do that. FUCK I don't want to deal with this. The whole thing just seems like a huge drama power keg and there's a god damn monkey with a box of matches standing over it starting to put one and one together.

So my roommate assumed i'd be fine with him inviting a friend of his to live with us for a while because they got kicked out of their apartment!

I can only hope that she just doesn't do that. FUCK I don't want to deal with this. The whole thing just seems like a huge drama power keg and there's a god damn monkey with a box of matches standing over it starting to put one and one together.
Try this: "Hey, roomie, you know I live here right? You want someone to spend a night then cool, but you can't just invite people to live here unless you want me to go get "Rufas McStabby - the homeless murderer" to come stay."

Dave

Staff member

Try this: "Hey, roomie, you know I live here right? You want someone to spend a night then cool, but you can't just invite people to live here unless you want me to go get "Rufas McStabby - the homeless murderer" to come stay."[/QUOTE]

Or even, "Hey, man. Our rental agreement states only two can live here at a time. I count three now. I'm not getting kicked out because you can't follow simple legal contracts. He has 1 week."

Or wait until the friend sleeps over the first night, and make sure that at some point they awake from their sleep to find you standing over them, naked and covered in spray cheese, gently whispering, "It's okay. You sleep. Daddy is watching over you.".

EDIT:
Oh, and the closest I'm going to come to a rant right now, as I've learned to swallow all of my rage until it's a white hot ball in my gut and then extinguish it with drink: There are times when I believe the stated cause of my father's suicide (chronic pain caused by an automobile accident), but sometimes I wonder if he was just waiting for an excuse. Either way, there are times where no matter what the reasons were, I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.