[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

You know, I keep thinking computer gaming when I read the title of this thread. I kinda forget that PvP online is still a comic. Even though it is what brought most of us together.

You know, I keep thinking computer gaming when I read the title of this thread. I kinda forget that PvP online is still a comic. Even though it is what brought most of us together.
Amen. I still wear some PvP shirts (Obey The Cat is in my regular rotation), but I think it's been the better part of a decade since I last read the comic.

Sort of sad, considering the comic (and, by extension, the forums and IRC) were responsible for like a third of my English-learning hours pre-college.

The latest story of Cole and Max at the con made me realize why Brent wanted to live gaycariously through Max, and its that they are now pretty much the same character except one is gay and one is straight! Its weird, I've been reading PvP since I was a teen and its STILL been an odd transition seeing how radically different Max is from his past incarnation. Not saying he's a bad character mind you, hell the current strips can be pretty good, but its still weird.

Funny, since before Max disappeared he was a red head, and then when he returned he was blonde like Brent. I think you have something there. ;)

I mean seriously though, I don't even consider them the same people. The changes were just too radical, and more then any other character he changed design so much that you can't even really recognize him if you went back through the strips. You can tell Scott wanted to try when Max first returned, even giving him that closed eye look that turns beady when opened, but after awhile he was just "fuck it" and made his eyes more generic.

Dave

Staff member
Remember when the strip had a comedic foil? The only thing close now is their new boss, and she's not even a foil, really.

I'm pretty okay with how Max has transformed as a character over time, but you can definitely poke at Scott a bit for how, unlike most of the other characters, visually-speaking you wouldn't recognize Max as the same character from back in the day.

I wouldn't say I was expecting it, but I'm not surprised at this turn of events, given Scott's rapidly shrinking pool of potential plotlines.

And I don't say that as disparagement, either. PvP's been around for so long, and there are only so many stories you can tell with the characters he's got.

So Robbie is finally giving up his fortune.
Has anyone else been expecting this since he first obtained it?

No, I was not expecting it. Kinda hoped it would make him grow as a person.
But no, he takes the easy way out and just amputates it so he can (probably) go back to his boring, uncomplicated life as a slob.

...BUT WHAT WILL BECOME OF LOLBAT?

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Besides, he only had millions, not billions. Of course, his brewery made a lot of cash.

I do like the was Jase got fat again. It's like Scott forgot he redrew the character a different way.

Besides, he only had millions, not billions. Of course, his brewery made a lot of cash.

I do like the was Jase got fat again. It's like Scott forgot he redrew the character a different way.
I thought that was the point of Jase hanging out with Robbie, get him away from his controlling wife and let him binge drink and binge eat with Robbie.

Dave

Staff member
I thought that was the point of Jase hanging out with Robbie, get him away from his controlling wife and let him binge drink and binge eat with Robbie.
But he didn't start hanging around. They started the brewery and then Robbie went home and let Jase run it. That was it.

But he didn't start hanging around. They started the brewery and then Robbie went home and let Jase run it. That was it.
OK, I just assumed that the last time I read about Jase was the last time he was written about. You know, dust off the unused characters every 5 years or so...

So Jase is fat again because he has been eating the product.

Are his eyes covered again because he is buying bigger hats?

I have the feeling I was actually the last person to still visit The Trenches.
Seriously, it sort of just....stopped in the middle of a storyline. In January.

I understand that bad and/or unpopular webcomics end, but...There's plenty of semi-bug names attached to this one. A blog post and some sort of ending wouldn't have killed, now would it? "hey folks, we've decided to focus our creative energies elsewhere, thanks for the support and the stories" - that's all. It just looks so....unprofessional to just stop.

I have the feeling I was actually the last person to still visit The Trenches.
Seriously, it sort of just....stopped in the middle of a storyline. In January.

I understand that bad and/or unpopular webcomics end, but...There's plenty of semi-bug names attached to this one. A blog post and some sort of ending wouldn't have killed, now would it? "hey folks, we've decided to focus our creative energies elsewhere, thanks for the support and the stories" - that's all. It just looks so....unprofessional to just stop.
Even long standing, well-regarded comics do this sometimes. Real Life spent 3-4 months on hiatus, then came back for like a week of strips, and we haven't heard from Greg Dean since and that was last December.

Even long standing, well-regarded comics do this sometimes. Real Life spent 3-4 months on hiatus, then came back for like a week of strips, and we haven't heard from Greg Dean since and that was last December.
Huh, wow, I used to read that one and it completely fell off my radar.

For a while there, the link I used for this would redirect to a Japanese website. I have no idea what happened, but he could have just said, "Eh, can't do it anymore. Thanks for reading!".

It looks like even the Real Life Forum went dark.

Visiting the place having been away for several years feels like wandering into the Roanoke Colony after everyone has vanished.

I used to follow a webcomic called The Zombie Hunters. It was very well done but then the creator kept getting sick and/or stressed. The last comic was a year ago because she's still dealing with severe depression. I'm not complaining because I got it for free, but a lot of her readers spent money pre-ordering the books and they're still waiting.

Part of me is afraid this might happen to Order of the Stick before that epic is completed. Rich Burlew has had unknown health issues in the past and, partly due to his hand injury a few years ago, updates are sporadic. I want the guy to be healthy and happy, but we're so frigging close to the finish line at this point.

Always wondered what his other health issues were, but I don't think he's ever said. I've always assumed some sort of mental health issue.

Uh-oh, looks like Jase and Robbie might be going to The Trenches.

(Cole's suggesting they get involved in Game Testing, which was the original premise of The Trenches...)